What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Doug B said:
After a week of smoke ... finally, the New York Times corroborates. Shouldn't be long now.

The F.D.A. is set to authorize the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for those 12-15 years old by early next week.
My wife and I talked and plan to sign our just turned 12 year old daughter up ASAP. She’s a very careful kid and isn’t in large groups, but she is also an anxious kid. So this will help provide peace of mind as well as reducing potential vectors for other people. Quite a few cases hitting her school right now and a whole bunch of kids having to quarantine because 2 brothers tested positive and both play on sports teams where nobody wears masks while playing or being on the sidelines/dugouts.

My wife and I talked and plan to sign our just turned 12 year old daughter up ASAP. She’s a very careful kid and isn’t in large groups, but she is also an anxious kid. So this will help provide peace of mind as well as reducing potential vectors for other people. Quite a few cases hitting her school right now and a whole bunch of kids having to quarantine because 2 brothers tested positive and both play on sports teams where nobody wears masks while playing or being on the sidelines/dugouts.
Vaccination is worth it just for this if nothing else.  It's great being able to go about your life and not even have to think about covid-19.  (Obviously there are other benefits to vaccination as well, but the general "peace of mind" angle is undersold IMO).

Agreed.  Also, we now know that if a variant does evolve that manages to dodge our current vaccines, we can develop a new vaccine for the variant in a day or two.  If that means a booster shot, no problem.

Obviously it would be better to reach herd immunity, but it's going to be quite a while before we get there globally.  
Development is only the first step- how long would it take to approve, manufacture, distribute, etc? It could be several months and lots more cases, sickness, and death- far from "no problem" IMO.

Anyone else have their sense of smell altered due to having Covid?

While I regained my sense of taste and smell and it was back to normal for a while, now some things just don't smell right. Like eggs and chicken, so far. Apparently, it's called Parosmia and is a known side effect. Hopefully not permanent and doesn't spread to other smells.

Development is only the first step- how long would it take to approve, manufacture, distribute, etc? It could be several months and lots more cases, sickness, and death- far from "no problem" IMO.
I have lots of opinions about reforming the FDA and CDC so that we can be better prepared for future pandemics -- my preferred policy options all start with a large quantity of TNT, but I suppose I could be talked into other, less ambitious reforms.  

Aside from that, there's nothing we can do to stop a virus from mutating.  Even if we mandated vaccination for all Americans and physically compelled people to get their shot -- and there is zero chance of something like this happening -- it will probably be years before we reach herd immunity globally.  If a mutation happens, it happens.  There's very little point in sitting around worrying about it.

While I regained my sense of taste and smell and it was back to normal for a while, now some things just don't smell right. Like eggs and chicken, so far. Apparently, it's called Parosmia and is a known side effect. Hopefully not permanent and doesn't spread to other smells.
This sort of thing was a large part of the deciding factor for me in getting the vaccine. I do get why some people are nervous about getting the vaccine due to some of the long term unknowns. But there seem to be quite a few long term unknowns with the virus as well and some signs that even more mild cases could present fairly significant health issues down the road. Similar to how chicken pox can be annoying but is very rarely deadly, but getting it means that you can be open to shingles down the road which is much more debilitating.

This is me.

I don't know how to describe it exactly.  I can smell now.  I'm pretty sure I smell everything the way I should.  But, I feel like there are things that I'm not smelling the way I used to even though I can't say for sure.  I used to have a really good sense of smell, particularly with food, and I still feel like something isn't the same anymore.  It's been a year now.

One of my good friends is about 5 months post-COVID and a most post-vaccine. He’s the same way, mostly back but still ‘off’. He’s owner and brewer at a brewery and he struggles because batches taste different and he’s not sure if it’s something wrong with the beer or just his senses.

This is me.

I don't know how to describe it exactly.  I can smell now.  I'm pretty sure I smell everything the way I should.  But, I feel like there are things that I'm not smelling the way I used to even though I can't say for sure.  I used to have a really good sense of smell, particularly with food, and I still feel like something isn't the same anymore.  It's been a year now.
My wife has always had an almost annoyingly sensitive sense of smell. She hasn't noticed anything smelling off but is missing a few things. She always liked the smell of sheets after laundry and now there's nothing. Most everything else has been normal for her.

One of my good friends is about 5 months post-COVID and a most post-vaccine. He’s the same way, mostly back but still ‘off’. He’s owner and brewer at a brewery and he struggles because batches taste different and he’s not sure if it’s something wrong with the beer or just his senses.
Ugh..sucks more if you rely on it for your living.

I have lots of opinions about reforming the FDA and CDC so that we can be better prepared for future pandemics -- my preferred policy options all start with a large quantity of TNT, but I suppose I could be talked into other, less ambitious reforms.  

Aside from that, there's nothing we can do to stop a virus from mutating.  Even if we mandated vaccination for all Americans and physically compelled people to get their shot -- and there is zero chance of something like this happening -- it will probably be years before we reach herd immunity globally.  If a mutation happens, it happens.  There's very little point in sitting around worrying about it.
Same here, but you and I both know nothing is changing on that front, so in the reality we're living in it would take months before a new vaccine was able to have an impact on any variants, which is a lot of pain, suffering, and death. Heck, by that time would could be dealing with yet another mutation- rinse, repeat.

The longer a virus is around and the more cases there are the higher the chances of mutation. IMO the messaging shouldn't be "mutations are no big deal, we can knock them out in days" (particularly when it isn't true). I'm not saying we practice fear mongering, but something more along the lines of "mutations are an unknown at this point, and the best way to minimize the chances are by getting as many people vaccinated asap" would make a lot more sense. Just because herd immunity is difficult and will take time doesn't mean we don't try- the closer we get to it and the sooner we get there the better off we'll be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know yet if older kids are having post-vaccine symptoms similar to adults and/or if the expectation is for younger kids to as well?

Do we know yet if older kids are having post-vaccine symptoms similar to adults and/or if the expectation is for younger kids to as well?
My 17 year old just had Pfizer #2 yesterday, went to school today and said he feels totally fine other than a little arm soreness and feeling a little tired and a slight headache. Didn't stop him from going outside and hitting a tennis ball against the garage door right after I asked him. He's feeling it a lot less than my wife and I did when we had ours a couple of weeks ago.  (2 weeks ago today in fact, yay!)

Anecdotal 1 off but there's a kid on my soccer team that got it end of February.  Season just ended and he was never "right" the entire season. Winded, got stomach bug a couple of times, just never 100%.  Just always seems to get "sick" when no one else did.  Former starter that turned into a 30 minutes a game guy.  Eased him back in and everything just couldn't ever go full on.  He's a junior so 17ish.

He said he never lost smell/taste just couldn't walk to the bathroom without get tired.

Anecdotal 1 off but there's a kid on my soccer team that got it end of February.  Season just ended and he was never "right" the entire season. Winded, got stomach bug a couple of times, just never 100%.  Just always seems to get "sick" when no one else did.  Former starter that turned into a 30 minutes a game guy.  Eased him back in and everything just couldn't ever go full on.  He's a junior so 17ish.

He said he never lost smell/taste just couldn't walk to the bathroom without get tired.
I think he was asking about the vaccine

My 17 year old just had Pfizer #2 yesterday, went to school today and said he feels totally fine other than a little arm soreness and feeling a little tired and a slight headache. Didn't stop him from going outside and hitting a tennis ball against the garage door right after I asked him. He's feeling it a lot less than my wife and I did when we had ours a couple of weeks ago.  (2 weeks ago today in fact, yay!)
My 17 year old daughter played Lacrosse the day of and the day after her 2nd shot last week.

Just got back from Nashville and let me tell you there was ZERO social distancing and little mask usage on Broadway.  If 50% percent of the people there were not vaccinated then Covid will be around a while.

Just got back from Nashville and let me tell you there was ZERO social distancing and little mask usage on Broadway.  If 50% percent of the people there were not vaccinated then Covid will be around a while.
Shelby County (Memphis, TN) is getting close to removing the mask mandate due to cases falling rapidly (~30% vaccinated). I'd be more in favor of it if I knew the populace wouldn't lose their #### when cases rise again and restrictions are put back in place. 

Of course several buddies are sending texts/messages about it saying "FINALLY!"

That's like saying "FINALLY" after everyone else changed their flat tire. :lol:  

Doug B said:
After a week of smoke ... finally, the New York Times corroborates. Shouldn't be long now.

The F.D.A. is set to authorize the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for those 12-15 years old by early next week.
Just going to point out again that the dataset used here is almost identical to the data that was considered too small to make a one dose first for all strategy decision and resulted in criticism of such an idea as not following the science. 
Between me and the house: I don't really care. I have full faith that the mRNA vaccines are, for all intents and purposes, uber-safe 'magic bullets' for all age groups. If these vaccines ever fail an age-group trial going forward, I will be astonished.

Shelby County (Memphis, TN) is getting close to removing the mask mandate due to cases falling rapidly (~30% vaccinated). I'd be more in favor of it if I knew the populace wouldn't lose their #### when cases rise again and restrictions are put back in place. 

Of course several buddies are sending texts/messages about it saying "FINALLY!"

That's like saying "FINALLY" after everyone else changed their flat tire. :lol:  
My town dropped its mask mandate a weeks or so ago.  My university is dropping it on Monday (first day of summer term).  

We've had vaccines available for all adults for about a month now, so this is about the right time.  Anybody who lives in my community who hasn't gotten vaccinated yet is on their own as far as I'm concerned.  The rest of us are looking forward to our annual three weeks of summer.

Between me and the house: I don't really care. I have full faith that the mRNA vaccines are, for all intents and purposes, uber-safe 'magic bullets' for all age groups. If these vaccines ever fail an age-group trial going forward, I will be astonished.
Imagine the covid-19 pandemic, only without mRNA technology.  Obviously the pandemic sucked and we would all prefer not to go through this again, but we were incredibly lucky in a lot of ways. 

First, covid wasn't nearly as deadly as something like MERS and wasn't nearly as contagious as something like measles.  The disease itself could have been much worse.  Second, it thankfully spared kids and mostly killed off people who were already old or sick.  Not that any loss of life is okay, but if you had to pick, you would obviously rather go with the disease that preys on the elderly as opposed to the disease that kills little kids and young (parent-age) adults.  And of course we lucked out to have literally just developed a new technology that made super-effective vaccines easy to create.

I know it doesn't feel that way, but we got really lucky.

So what is the deal with Seychelles? The most vaccinated place on Earth is getting hit hard with basically their first wave. Is it because the Sinopharm and AZ vaccines aren't good? 

Ive gotten to the point now where I get annoyed I have to wear a mask in a store. If people arent vaccinated thats on them. Its time to move forward.

So what is the deal with Seychelles? The most vaccinated place on Earth is getting hit hard with basically their first wave. Is it because the Sinopharm and AZ vaccines aren't good? 
I was just about to post a link to this article. 100,000 people with a >60% two-dose vaccination rate. 500 new cases, 1,000 active cases with roughly 333 of the active cases vaccinated people.

Interesting to note that majority of the vaccines are SinoPharm (China) and Covaxin (India) inactivated virus. Couple of things this makes me wonder:

Could it be a quality control issue- several lots of botched/ineffective vaccine?

Could it be the efficacy of the inactivated virus is lower than expected? 79% and 86%, respectively.

What was the severity of the disease in the people infected?

What variants were showing up in those infected, and did this have anything to do with high rate of vaccinated people infected?  

I wasnt trying to say there wasnt enough data, i think there is plenty. I was just pointing out that "enough data" is yet another moving target of this pandemic. 

Could it be the efficacy of the inactivated virus is lower than expected? 79% and 86%, respectively.

What was the severity of the disease in the people infected?

What variants were showing up in those infected, and did this have anything to do with high rate of vaccinated people infected?  
I think i read something that the inactivated virus showed lower efficacy against "newer" variants.  The mRNA vaccines have better efficacy to start and then do better against the variants.  

I bet these mRNA vaccines will revolutionize not only COVID but against many other viruses.

My 16 year old is going to her virtual junior prom. I am sad for her that she is missing out on these memories.

On the other hand after going through a real prom with her older sister four years ago , I know I will at least be getting a good night sleep tonight vs that night. 

I was with some friends last Saturday night. They had it around the same time you did.

One of them described issues like you are having. Said her mind wanted to have a steak. Her mind could taste the juicy steak. But when she actually cooked it, the smell didn't match and she wanted no more of it after two bites.

I was with some friends last Saturday night. They had it around the same time you did.

One of them described issues like you are having. Said her mind wanted to have a steak. Her mind could taste the juicy steak. But when she actually cooked it, the smell didn't match and she wanted no more of it after two bites.
I've gone around my house smelling things, especially spices, and everything smells normal. The only things so far has been chicken and eggs...and...I didn't want to mention it but my poop has the same smell. I don't know about everyone else, but I know I;ve never had a problem with the smell of my poop but now it has the same smell as chicken and eggs. Not horrible mind you. Just different.

I've gone around my house smelling things, especially spices, and everything smells normal. The only things so far has been chicken and eggs...and...I didn't want to mention it but my poop has the same smell. I don't know about everyone else, but I know I;ve never had a problem with the smell of my poop but now it has the same smell as chicken and eggs. Not horrible mind you. Just different.
That's a feature, not a bug.

And people are worried about the vaccines changing their DNA... the virus changes something in the brain or chemical reception mechanisms!

My poop smells like a mix of roses, cedar wood, and Sex Panther.  Never had covid-19, just a typical FBG.

I found a facebook group that relates to the strange tastes and smells, if anyone is affected and might be interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbScentParosmia

Lots of discussion on chicken and eggs and also the altered poop smell.

I hope it just stays with those things and doesn't go to other foods but I see a lot of people in the group saying how it started with chicken and progressed to all meats and many other foods. Ugh.

I had an egg sandwich for breakfast and could barely finish it. It might be the last one I ever have.

Eggs already smelled like poop, so I guess we know which came first

Have any of you flown on a plane or taken public transportation (subway, regional train, Amtrak) since vaccination?

My hesitancy going on a crowded train is really what is holding me back from returning to the office right now.

Users who are viewing this thread