What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

I was one of those people that hunkered down throughout this whole thing (mainly because of my health), but now that my family is all vaccinated, we are starting to venture out more. Today, I went into Sams for the first time since January of 2020 and boy, did it bring back memories. If you look back at the beginning of this thread, I was one of the early prepping people and I took several Sams runs right at the end of January last year so my family could be ready for this.

I guess it is stupid, but I couldn't explain the excitement of being in this store.Maybe if there is something to take from this whole experience it is to enjoy the little things, you know?

Funny part is I got to the register and my membership had expired months and months ago. :D

Maybe a coincidence but my allergies have never been better.  Wonder if masks helped that somewhat.  
One thing positive that will come out of this is I will wear masks when doing yard work from now on.  I have bad allergies to things like grass and pine - I was stubborn and wouldn’t buy masks.  With Covid, I had so many around that this spring I started using them and it makes a huge difference.

Tl;dr - I’m a moron

One thing positive that will come out of this is I will wear masks when doing yard work from now on.  I have bad allergies to things like grass and pine - I was stubborn and wouldn’t buy masks.  With Covid, I had so many around that this spring I started using them and it makes a huge difference.

Tl;dr - I’m a moron
I need to do this. I went to allergy doc last year. I'm allergic to 4 things.  And on their scale 0-4. I was 0 for everything except what I was allergic too. Those things I was a 4.

Ragweed 

American weed or something

Some other weed 

And ####### dust. I'm allergic to dust. It explains why I'm always stuffy

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents.  I travel for work but the wife wants me to get covid test when i come back.  What are the options for accurate rapid tests?  There are ones where you get results within an hour right?  
Don’t know the details yet but Safeway/Albertsons/etc are launching a 2 pack rapid test for like $25. Our previous attempt was worthless, like $135 for a mail-in kit that takes 4-5 days but this seems really good.

This was actually the part of covid that scared me the most.  Such a weird disease.
I'd like to see some #s though -- it's hard to parse out exactly what they're saying in a couple places.

I'd be especially interested in knowing what this looked like in asymptomatic cases.  What exactly does "mild" mean here?

I'd like to see some #s though -- it's hard to parse out exactly what they're saying in a couple places.

I'd be especially interested in knowing what this looked like in asymptomatic cases.  What exactly does "mild" mean here?
I think we're going to learn a lot more about "long covid" in the coming months.  My vague sense is that for understandable reasons, it hasn't been a super-high research priority, but it's likely to get more study now that we're getting the pandemic under control.

I'm sorry but this makes little sense to me

What would be the cause of death for people 6 months later if they had a mild case?
These later deaths due to long-term complications of the infection are not necessarily recorded as deaths due to COVID-19,” Al-Aly said. “As far as total pandemic death toll, these numbers suggest that the deaths we’re counting due to the immediate viral infection are only the tip of the iceberg.”

I'm sorry but this makes little sense to me

What would be the cause of death for people 6 months later if they had a mild case?
Covid affects people in really strange ways.  From the article:

The researchers confirmed that, despite being initially a respiratory virus, long COVID-19 can affect nearly every organ system in the body. Evaluating 379 diagnoses of diseases possibly related to COVID-19, 380 classes of medications prescribed and 62 laboratory tests administered, the researchers identified newly diagnosed major health issues that persisted in COVID-19 patients over at least six months and that affected nearly every organ and regulatory system in the body, including:

Respiratory system: persistent cough, shortness of breath and low oxygen levels in the blood.

Nervous system: stroke, headaches, memory problems and problems with senses of taste and smell.

Mental health: anxiety, depression, sleep problems and substance abuse.

Metabolism: new onset of diabetes, obesity and high cholesterol.

Cardiovascular system: acute coronary disease, heart failure, heart palpitations and irregular heart rhythms.

Gastrointestinal system: constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux.

Kidney: acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease that can, in severe cases, require dialysis.

Coagulation regulation: blood clots in the legs and lungs.

Skin: rash and hair loss.

Musculoskeletal system: joint pain and muscle weakness.

General health: malaise, fatigue and anemia.

While no survivor suffered from all of these problems, many developed a cluster of several issues that have a significant impact on health and quality of life.
It's weird and extremely counter-intuitive that a respiratory coronavirus would cause blood clots or kidney problems, but yet it apparently does.  

Publix and Traders Joe say masks are optional for vaccinated people. I only saw one person without a mask st Publix, an older cashier clerk, in a South Beach Publix. Some people haven't gotten the message yet, some aren't vaccinated and some are still very cautious, which could make some sense for those living with at-risk unvaccinated people.

Covid affects people in really strange ways.  From the article:

It's weird and extremely counter-intuitive that a respiratory coronavirus would cause blood clots or kidney problems, but yet it apparently does.  
If the vaccine doesn't prevent mild covid how does getting the vaccine prevent long term effects?

If the vaccine doesn't prevent mild covid how does getting the vaccine prevent long term effects?
The vaccine doesn't prevent EVERYTHING from COVID, but it is the best chance of not dying or ending up in the hospital. Some people will get vaccinated, and still have problems from COVID. But many MORE people will get the vaccine and AVOID death/long term effects because their body had a jump start at fighting the virus.

Perfect? No. But the best we got. Still better than saying "ef it. If you die, you die."

Sobering study of COVID survivor's subsequent health.

tl;dr - even a mild case of COVID increases your chances of dying within six months.  Among all cases, an extra 1 in every 125 people died.  In severe cases, one in 35 did.  That's above and beyond the number who would be expected to die otherwise.
There's a guy I know that got it pretty bad.  Not quite hospital but close.  4 mos. Later has a heart attack.  In 40s dead. I found it a little odd other than sad.   I haven't heard many other similar anecdotes really.  If the rate was really that high I feel like we all would have. 

There's a guy I know that got it pretty bad.  Not quite hospital but close.  4 mos. Later has a heart attack.  In 40s dead. I found it a little odd other than sad.   I haven't heard many other similar anecdotes really.  If the rate was really that high I feel like we all would have. 
It's a real thing - but not always heart.  My friend has a chronic, progressive lung condition. Some people get kidney trouble.  I expect we'll learn a lot about this over the next 12-18 months.

Common sense-wise, I'd say that's impossible for all of the deaths to be connected to Covid.

People making that leap in every instance is more panic than reason for me.
Agreed that not every death is connected to Covid.

But if people that had Covid are statistically more likely to have a stroke than people that didn’t have Covid it seems like a good reason to try to avoid getting Covid.

Agreed that not every death is connected to Covid.

But if people that had Covid are statistically more likely to have a stroke than people that didn’t have Covid it seems like a good reason to try to avoid getting Covid.
I agree 100%, obviously.

Just don't like seeing every subsequent death portrayed as a direct result of Covid.

That isn't helpful IMO.

My brothers entire family got Covid in Apri, 2 days before he was to get his first shot. They are doing better now, with some on going issues. His wife has phantosmia and smells cigarette smoke. Sometimes it's so pronounced it effects her breathing and makes it seem like she's suffocating. While ill, my brother suffered from hallucinations that sounded like an acid trip. From laying in a fetal position and mind racing, to walking around thinking he was 9 feet tall. Bizarre. Maybe the hallucinations were from the fever or lack of oxygen, but it almost seems like Covid tinkers with the brain. Scary stuff. My bro has a heart condition, so we were worried about him. He's glad to make it through and doing much better, but he said he wouldn't recommend getting it and it was awful. Sounded like his household was like Lord of the Flies for a few weeks. Kids left to fend for themselves type stuff. 

identikit said:
Just don't like seeing every subsequent death portrayed as a direct result of Covid.
If I’m looking at the study correctly ... they’re explicitly saying that the deaths are indirect results of COVID.

identikit said:
I agree 100%, obviously.

That isn't helpful IMO.
People aren’t willy-nilly blaming deaths on covid. But studies like this suggest a reason why covid may contribute to excess deaths from cardiac causes, even after recovery from mild disease.

Findings: In this cohort study including 100 patients recently recovered from COVID-19 identified from a COVID-19 test center, cardiac magnetic resonance imaging revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis.
Late neurologic and kidney findings have also been described, so it wouldn’t be surprising if deaths from stroke and kidney failure occur.

All three basically relate to the propensity for SARS-CoV-2 to cause inflammation and clots in blood vessels, both during acute illness and convalescence.

If I’m looking at the study correctly ... they’re explicitly saying that the deaths are indirect results of COVID.
I believe you.

Only point I was trying to make is that anecdotal items, like the ones often posted in the forums here, aren't always in any way connected to Covid.

I've had a few brain issues over the past month or so too. It seems to have improved though. It was like head rush/vertigo symptoms where I had to steady myself. A few times looking at my phone too long made me have to put it down. 

If you have friends or family that are experiencing the weird smells of Phantosmia or Parosmia, encourage them with the knowledge that it does go away eventually in the vast majority of people. It may not be for many months but knowing that it isn't usually permanent will go a long way in keeping their sanity to keep pressing on. Tackle it head on and don't let it win. Fight through the tolerable tastes and smells and really savor the ones that taste good to try and train your brain again. If your brain doesn't recognize a smell or taste, it gives it a bad one to prevent you from eating it. Some people say they can tolerate scrambled eggs but not fried eggs. So eat scrambled eggs and really taste them to send the trigger to your brain. Keep smelling and tasting what you can to get back to normal.

top dog said:
The vaccine doesn't prevent EVERYTHING from COVID, but it is the best chance of not dying or ending up in the hospital. Some people will get vaccinated, and still have problems from COVID. But many MORE people will get the vaccine and AVOID death/long term effects because their body had a jump start at fighting the virus.

Perfect? No. But the best we got. Still better than saying "ef it. If you die, you die."
How do you know your body won't have long term effects from Covid if vaccinated?  You can still get Covid you just don't experience the severity of the symptoms.  But that doesn't mean you won't have the same long term effects of getting Covid

top dog said:

How do you know your body won't have long term effects from Covid if vaccinated?  You can still get Covid you just don't experience the severity of the symptoms.  But that doesn't mean you won't have the same long term effects of getting Covid

Courtjester said:
Today, I went into Sams for the first time since January of 2020 and boy, did it bring back memories.
Holy crap, more power to you. I know you've mentioned health issues before, but I don't think I could have made that. I went to Costco so much during the past year+ because we ate so much at home, etc. I used the crap out of Amazon as well, but I think I would have gone stir crazy. So glad we are one 14 year old away from fully vaccinated now.

You wont. But your odds are greater than if you dont.  Its all about assessing risk isn't it? We talk about "99.7 survival rate" all the time, but decide to ignore the odds being greater in your favor with the vaccine.

When will the testing requirement go away for travel?  If not what options are there to realistically fake it?  I was just going to go in the US and Photoshop the date potentially. 

When will the testing requirement go away for travel?  If not what options are there to realistically fake it?  I was just going to go in the US and Photoshop the date potentially. 
I have no idea how likely you are to get caught or what the penalties are for getting caught, but I agree with GroveDiesel that this seems like a bad idea.

Seems like a good way to go to jail for fraud if you get caught. Not sure that seems worth it to me. Why would you fake test results instead of just getting tested?
Lol they aren't going to send someone to jail over a fake test.  I pull up a screenshot of a result they don't have a way for the gate people to cross check it.  I'm sure the Mexican jails are nice in the summer though

Lol they aren't going to send someone to jail over a fake test.  I pull up a screenshot of a result they don't have a way for the gate people to cross check it.  I'm sure the Mexican jails are nice in the summer though
If you’re in Mexico, pretty sure the resorts and even airport offer tests. Again, not sure why you’d fake it when it’s so easy to get.

If you’re in Mexico, pretty sure the resorts and even airport offer tests. Again, not sure why you’d fake it when it’s so easy to get.
Waste of money, and resources. If we don't need masks anymore to walk around why are we asking vaccinated travelers to submit to a test we don't really care if they fail or not at home?

Workplace now lets everyone on site normal schedule M/F no distancing no masks no nothing.  Was wondering when that would happen.

SoBeDad said:
Publix and Traders Joe say masks are optional for vaccinated people. I only saw one person without a mask st Publix, an older cashier clerk, in a South Beach Publix. Some people haven't gotten the message yet, some aren't vaccinated and some are still very cautious, which could make some sense for those living with at-risk unvaccinated people.
Sprouts prefers you wear one regardless of vaccination, but naturally they cannot enforce it.

culdeus said:
Workplace now lets everyone on site normal schedule M/F no distancing no masks no nothing.  Was wondering when that would happen.
My company just said employees can go maskless now on campus IF they prove vaccination with a card / app that shows they are 2+ weeks beyond last dose.

Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed yesterday that our grocery store took down the "please wear a mask" sign.  I'd say that maybe two-thirds of folks were still wearing a mask anyway (me included -- just being a conformist for the time being, plus they were asking us nicely to wear masks the last time I was there so I wasn't expecting a policy change).  

No point behind any of this -- just another piece of anecdata.

Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed yesterday that our grocery store took down the "please wear a mask" sign.  I'd say that maybe two-thirds of folks were still wearing a mask anyway (me included -- just being a conformist for the time being, plus they were asking us nicely to wear masks the last time I was there so I wasn't expecting a policy change).  

The same thing is happening locally (New Orleans mettro), at several local and national-chain retailers & groceries. All at once. Masking compliance is still well north of 90% for now.

Gotta say I'm pretty surprised. I thought most private retailers would want to keep business-level masking in place for at least a few more months. I was pretty much counting on it to go on throughout the summer.

Timing of this has been awesome for me. Grocery store announced yesterday that they are no longer requiring masks for anyone that is fully vaccinated. Coincidentally, yesterday is also the day I became fully vaccinated. Did my first mask-free grocery trip today and it was very liberating. Also noticed they removed the social distance stickers from the floors. Love it. 

Id say customers were about 60% masked, and probably some of them just didnt know the new rules or see the new signs. Employees were probably only 20-30% masked. I'm actually starting to feel bad for people who truly dont want to get the vaccine (for whatever reason), but also want to obey the rules. They are destined to wear a mask for a long time while others are moving on. Saw a good number of older people with masks on today. They should be well past the point of being fully vaccinated if they wanted to be.

Users who are viewing this thread