Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

On 5/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, E-Z Glider said:

Saw a good number of older people with masks on today. They should be well past the point of being fully vaccinated if they wanted to be.

For some, masks may be here to stay forever. I could see some people never again being comfortable with mass gatherings, going maskless, etc. That's fine. Masks are a way of life for many in Asia, even before Covid. I would expect that happens in the US at some point, and this is probably where it begins. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

People are still masked indoors everywhere I go.  I would say 90% of people (including all employees) are masked.

It's probably 60/40 where I am in NC, with the 60 being maskless. 

10 minutes ago, jwb said:

For some, masks may be here to stay forever. I could see some people never again being comfortable with mass gatherings, going maskless, etc. That's fine. Masks are a way of life for many in Asia, even before Covid. I would expect that happens in the US at some point, and this is probably where it begins. 

It's tough to imagine a large % of the population in the US wearing masks going forward.   Could happen, perhaps during flu season in mass gatherings.....but my guess is that it would be limited in nature.

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

It's tough to imagine a large % of the population in the US wearing masks going forward.   Could happen, perhaps during flu season in mass gatherings.....but my guess is that it would be limited in nature.

What's going to trigger it stopping. My wife has said #### it altogether, I don't even take one for the entry area of the gym anymore but won't run around the big boxes without.  

Like a lot of people I enjoy how it tends to promote people not getting near you.  

38 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

People are still masked indoors everywhere I go.  I would say 90% of people (including all employees) are masked.

I’ve been traveling for work and in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina not a mask in site.  Some people will bring a mask to walk in and then take them off but most have no mask indoors or out.  

Just now, culdeus said:

What's going to trigger it stopping. My wife has said #### it altogether, I don't even take one for the entry area of the gym anymore but won't run around the big boxes without.  

Like a lot of people I enjoy how it tends to promote people not getting near you.  

Sounds like you are already stopping, so what was the trigger for your wife.....or for you to stop using it at the gym?

Basically, people don't like hassles, and remembering to carry around a mask is a hassle.  I've already forgotten mine 3 times since being vaccinated and had to turn around and drive back home to get it.  Started leaving an extra mask in my car just in case (since mask mandates still apply for local businesses where I live).

Just my two cents.  Maybe a whole host of people will feel differently.

• Like 1

Just now, PinkydaPimp said:

I’ve been traveling for work and in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina not a mask in site.  Some people will bring a mask to walk in and then take them off but most have no mask indoors or out.  

I really hope that most people aren't wearing a mask outdoors anymore.

1 minute ago, Alex P Keaton said:

I really hope that most people aren't wearing a mask outdoors anymore.

Outdoors i agree though I’ve been in some packed outdoor ish bars.  I personally still wear one but that’s just me :shrug:  

Got this from a reliable source on twitter:

In the 5 states with highest vaccination rates Compared with 2 weeks ago

• Infections down 40%
  • Test positivity 1.2%

In 5 states with lowest vaccination rates

• Infections up 3.9%
  • Test positivity 8.4%

It's looking like Covid will still be a problem regionally. Nationally though, we are doing really well. Cases are down to about the same level as they were last year at this time before the summer surge. Won't see a surge this year. These vaccines are truly amazing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Sounds like you are already stopping, so what was the trigger for your wife.....or for you to stop using it at the gym?

Basically, people don't like hassles, and remembering to carry around a mask is a hassle.  I've already forgotten mine 3 times since being vaccinated and had to turn around and drive back home to get it.  Started leaving an extra mask in my car just in case (since mask mandates still apply for local businesses where I live).

Just my two cents.  Maybe a whole host of people will feel differently.

We both are well past the 2nd shot.  So I mainly wear masks now because I hate people approaching me. At the gym nobody gets close enough to me for me to care.  

53 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Got this from a reliable source on twitter:

In the 5 states with highest vaccination rates Compared with 2 weeks ago

• Infections down 40%
  • Test positivity 1.2%

In 5 states with lowest vaccination rates

• Infections up 3.9%
  • Test positivity 8.4%

It's looking like Covid will still be a problem regionally. Nationally though, we are doing really well. Cases are down to about the same level as they were last year at this time before the summer surge. Won't see a surge this year. These vaccines are truly amazing.

Yeah, last year Memorial day was the huge super spreader event that really kicked things off, then (I believe) Sturgis really started the Dakota surge.  If we survive Memorial day with nothing more than a whimper then you have to wonder if herd is here.

6 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Opposite for me

nice writeup here, since the lab-leak theory is back in the news

Did a “lab leak” start the COVID-19 pandemic?

tl;dr: 

The leading theory is that SARS-CoV-2 jumped naturally from bats to humans (possibly through an intermediate species), as other viruses have done for ages. The lab-leak theory – an accidental spill from a research lab – is the underdog. It’s far less likely but has not been ruled out.

Why does the lab-leak theory persist? It’s messy. First, we don’t have a “smoking gun” to tell us exactly how SARS-CoV-2 got from animals to humans. Second, past investigations were unable to formally rule out the lab-leak theory, largely due to limited data access. Last but not least, political agendas keep fueling the debate.

14 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

nice writeup here, since the lab-leak theory is back in the news

Did a “lab leak” start the COVID-19 pandemic?

tl;dr: 

Explain why I should care?  People #### up all the time.  So let's say it happened. Nuke China? What's the endgame here?

If they wanted to go all Tom Clancy on us they did a ####ty job. 

19 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Explain why I should care?  People #### up all the time.  So let's say it happened. Nuke China? What's the endgame here?

If they wanted to go all Tom Clancy on us they did a ####ty job. 

Well the politics side will surely be ablaze with hot takes, but for me the more important reasons would be researching to find possible treatment routes and hopefully for prevention in the future.

It's also important to make the distinction between "leaked from a lab" and "was a man-made weaponized virus" which I think gets confused and conflated sometimes, especially in the sensationalized media headlines. They knew early on (early last spring) that it was natural in structure (whereas man-made viruses are not, they are replicas of existing virus structures). Yet somehow the two seem to still get confused when this theory comes up.

Pretty sure this same discussion took place in this thread many months ago. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Well the politics side will surely be ablaze with hot takes, but for me the more important reasons would be researching to find possible treatment routes and hopefully for prevention in the future.

It's also important to make the distinction between "leaked from a lab" and "was a man-made weaponized virus" which I think gets confused and conflated sometimes, especially in the sensationalized media headlines. They knew early on (early last spring) that it was natural in structure (whereas man-made viruses are not, they are replicas of existing virus structures). Yet somehow the two seem to still get confused when this theory comes up.

Pretty sure this same discussion took place in this thread many months ago. 

It appears by all accounts this was a lab trying to do research in covid viruses.  I mean it's not the largest stretch to make that they simply ####ed up.  Considering how impossibly hard it is to get it to get airborne without a host I don't see this as some outbreak moment where they drop a test tube and tear a hazmat suit, and everyone dies.

It is also by all accounts the best location if you were a covid virus to find a variety of hosts to kick around and party in.  

All of that being said I have very little faith we will ever know, and this will become a mostly needless distraction.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

Currently sitting at my daughters graduation.  There will be 4-5k people in here once it’s all said and done.  I’d say 5% of people are wearing masks.  And this is a state where only 40% of adults have ONE shot.  A large number of people literally don’t give a crap about getting Covid.

• Sad 1

I wonder how many people act like they don't give a crap about getting covid because they think they already got it when they never actually did (or their immune response was so weak that it didn't create enough antibodies to fight off a full blown infection)?

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

I wonder how many people act like they don't give a crap about getting covid because they think they already got it when they never actually did (or their immune response was so weak that it didn't create enough antibodies to fight off a full blown infection)?

Here it’s a combination of - media is overblowing it, it’s justaflubro, I think I already had it and I’m healthy, strong and haven’t gotten it in 15 months so I’m good.

29 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Currently sitting at my daughters graduation.  There will be 4-5k people in here once it’s all said and done.  I’d say 5% of people are wearing masks.  And this is a state where only 40% of adults have ONE shot.  A large number of people literally don’t give a crap about getting Covid.

the most fascinating thing to me in my travels.  I’m usually the only person  masked.  People will usually approach me asking why I’m wearing one. As if I’m an alien.  One person comes to me and says “your from up north huh” 🤷🏽‍♂️😂

2 minutes ago, PinkydaPimp said:

the most fascinating thing to me in my travels.  I’m usually the only person  masked.  People will usually approach me asking why I’m wearing one. As if I’m an alien.  One person comes to me and says “your from up north huh” 🤷🏽‍♂️😂

It’s why I’m convinced our numbers are way underrepresented - many people down here have barely changed anything in 15 months.  So while I think our numbers won’t spike. I do think we will have consistent cases here for  the next 2-3 years at least.  There’s no going back for us - people will not tolerate Covid happening again even with a spike.  I guess if we had a variant that really took off and was as or more deadly maybe you could convince folks or restrictions but for all intents and purposes we are “living with Covid”.

5 hours ago, jobarules said:

Now they are saying COVID immunity may last longer than a year.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/new-studies-claim-covid-19-immunity-may-last-years/

That IS great news. I'm going to pass this onto my son who had covid in December and was a little reluctant to get the vaccine. He finally decided to get it a week ago. According to the article, if you had it AND get vaccinated... You are in pretty damn good shape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

I'm the "think I had it in December 2019" guy and just cleared my date for being fully vax'd up :thumbup:

Not hard to get back to normal if you leave the politics out of it. Do the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

30 minutes ago, top dog said:

That IS great news. I'm going to pass this onto my son who had covid in December and was a little reluctant to get the vaccine. He finally decided to get it a week ago. According to the article, if you had it AND get vaccinated... You are in pretty damn good shape.

I. Am. Invincible!

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

First maskless trip into an indoor public place in ~16 months tonight.  Felt normal, no biggie.  

Hopefully everyone's getting those shots, because winter's going to be a ##### again in some places if they don't.  Many precautions are out the window.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

I'll be doing what I've been doing mask-wise in indoor public spaces, and not doing indoor concerts, until my 10-year-old is vaccinated. After that, we'll see. I don't wear it outside. 

Daughter got Pfizer 2 weeks ago 

Woke up yesterday with slight sore throat and congestion......FML son has wedding today.

Took her for rapid test yesterday and came back negative.   Slightly congested today and no sore throat.   :unsure:

14 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

They knew early on (early last spring) that it was natural in structure (whereas man-made viruses are not, they are replicas of existing virus structures).

FWIW, this is now in question.

13 hours ago, AAABatteries said:
13 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Here it’s a combination of - media is overblowing it, it’s justaflubro, I think I already had it and I’m healthy, strong and haven’t gotten it in 15 months so I’m good.

In the exurban and rural areas north of New Orleans, they've taken COVID far less seriously than the N.O. metro area. It seems anecdotally that those who have gotten COVID in these area have largely skated through it (meaning "never needed hospitalization"). That, in turn, has led to a kind of disrespect for what COVID can do.

Georgia is a big state, so I'm sure there's lots of variance. Still, I'll ask: Have people in your area generally gotten away with not caring about COVID? Meaning even those who've gotten infected generally skate through it, and then tell everyone they know "it really IS just a flu -- I had it, so I know!"

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:
10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

That it's not 'from nature?' Got a link? I've seen nothing refuting that

I didn't mean that 'from nature' is refuted -- I mean that 'from nature' is in question. I'll find some info.

Specifically, it relates to gain-of-function research -- modifying the genome of a natural virus to become more infectious in humans (or any other animal).

EDIT: @Nathan R. Jessep, I am assuming you've seen the getting-famous Nicholas Wade article. If you want to dive deeper into this topic, Google [ SARS-CoV-2, "gain of function", genome, seamless ] . An excerpt from Wade:

A second statement that had enormous influence in shaping public attitudes was a letter (in other words an opinion piece, not a scientific article) published on 17 March 2020 in the journal Nature Medicine. Its authors were a group of virologists led by Kristian G. Andersen of the Scripps Research Institute. “Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus,” the five virologists declared in the second paragraph of their letter.

Unfortunately, this was another case of poor science, in the sense defined above. True, some older methods of cutting and pasting viral genomes retain tell-tale signs of manipulation. But newer methods, called “no-see-um” or “seamless” approaches, leave no defining marks. Nor do other methods for manipulating viruses such as serial passage, the repeated transfer of viruses from one culture of cells to another. If a virus has been manipulated, whether with a seamless method or by serial passage, there is no way of knowing that this is the case. Andersen and his colleagues were assuring their readers of something they could not know.

Geneticist Yuri Deigin's April 2020 article is far denser and a chore to read through, but does a good job of detailing the underlying science.

Edited by Doug B
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Doug B said:
11 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:
14 minutes ago, Doug B said:

That it's not 'from nature?' Got a link? I've seen nothing refuting that

I didn't mean that 'from nature' is refuted -- I mean that 'from nature' is in question. I'll find some info.

Specifically, it relates to gain-of-function research -- modifying the genome of a natural virus to become more infectious in humans (or any other animal).

To some....it's "nuance" to point out the difference between "created" and "altered".  Not a reflection in the least on the discussion you two are having.  Words basically have no meaning anymore it seems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, belljr said:

So how reliable are rapid tests if showing symptoms?

The week before last, my son was exposed on his school campus**. Accordingly, I brought him to get tested after a prospective five-day incubation period.

At first, I wanted to get him a rapid test because I didn't want to wait multiple days for the results of a PCR test to come back. However, the nurse told us that PCR results would come back the same day, late in the evening. She also talked us out of getting the rapid test because it wasn't accurate enough.

Basically, she broke it down like this:

- If you test negative on a rapid test, it's about 50-50 that you are actually positive.
- If you test positive on a rapid test, it's about 95+% that you're actually positive.

The rapid test is accurate for positives, but weak on negatives. The rapid test detects antibodies to COVID, while the PCR test detects actual viral material (the RNA, I believe).

Needless to say, we went with the PCR test and got my son's results back same day as promised.

** my son's been a remote student all year, but had to go on campus for a state assessment test (a LEAP test).

Posted (edited)

We are scheduled for a PCR tomorrow.... Just has sniffles but also had a shot 2 weeks ago.   We are supposed to go to son's wedding in like 2 hours with ~90 vaccinated.... really unsure

Edited by belljr

Just now, belljr said:

We are scheduled for a PCR tomorrow.... Just has sniffles but also had a shot 2 weeks ago.   We are supposed to go to son's wedding in like 2 hours with ~90 vaccinated.... really unsure

First or second shot?

3 minutes ago, belljr said:

We are supposed to go to son's wedding in like 2 hours with ~90 vaccinated

Could she get away with wearing a mask and just telling people "I feel fine but am a little congested, I had a negative test yesterday, just being careful"? It is a hard situation.

Just now, Doug B said:

Could she get away with wearing a mask and just telling people "I feel fine but am a little congested, I had a negative test yesterday, just being careful"? It is a hard situation.

That's the plan for now, she's in the party which suxors

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

In the exurban and rural areas north of New Orleans, they've taken COVID far less seriously than the N.O. metro area. It seems anecdotally that those who have gotten COVID in these area have largely skated through it (meaning "never needed hospitalization"). That, in turn, has led to a kind of disrespect for what COVID can do.

Georgia is a big state, so I'm sure there's lots of variance. Still, I'll ask: Have people in your area generally gotten away with not caring about COVID? Meaning even those who've gotten infected generally skate through it, and then tell everyone they know "it really IS just a flu -- I had it, so I know!"

I live in a county that is essentially half rural and half suburban.  Population of the county is 250k and we’ve had 31,500 cases and 326 deaths.  My guess is the vast majority were 50-60+.  This is a highly religious area.  Any deaths, not just Covid, are seen as being “God’s will” by a majority of the county.  

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Sad 1

On 5/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, IvanKaramazov said:

Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed yesterday that our grocery store took down the "please wear a mask" sign.  I'd say that maybe two-thirds of folks were still wearing a mask anyway (me included -- just being a conformist for the time being, plus they were asking us nicely to wear masks the last time I was there so I wasn't expecting a policy change).  

No point behind any of this -- just another piece of anecdata.

Well, that didn't last long.  When I went to the same store yesterday, I'd say that maybe 20% of the people inside were wearing masks.  Not even sure if it was that many.  That includes employees, who obviously weren't required to wear them any more.  It actually kind of felt like pre-covid, almost.

Also, I've noticed that all those little plexiglass barriers at checkout counters are starting to come down in my community.  

5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I live in a county that is essentially half rural and half suburban.  Population of the county is 250k and we’ve had 31,500 cases and 326 deaths. 

The Louisiana parish I have in mind is pretty much the same size at ~260,000 residents. Same make-up or suburan/rural ... cases 25,947, deaths 525 as of yesterday. That means your county in Georgia has a significantly reduced COVID death rate (1.03%) compared to this particular Louisiana parish (2.02%).

Don't know about hospitalization rates or anything.

Did your county happen to get their first cases later on (say, summer 2020 or later) versus earlier? Earlier on, effective treatments were still being worked out and death rates were accordingly higher.