What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Looking at Covid worldometer, deaths in the US continue to decrease.  2 weeks ago, there were ~3600 deaths over 7 days. Last 7 days that dropped to ~2600 deaths.

That's a nice, significant drop. Still not ideal, but certainly going in the right direction, especially considering mask mandates and usage continue to disappear as well.  

We should be really thankful for this vaccine.

Looking at Covid worldometer, deaths in the US continue to decrease.  2 weeks ago, there were ~3600 deaths over 7 days. Last 7 days that dropped to ~2600 deaths.

That's a nice, significant drop. Still not ideal, but certainly going in the right direction, especially considering mask mandates and usage continue to disappear as well.  

Not to put too much of a damper on good news, but do death numbers still lag a bit in reporting? My team used to track/ distribute some of that for work and, at one point, "last week" numbers world change a bit as reporting world catch up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn’t go through SC? You can add them to the list.

I’ve been vax’d for a bit now so walking into places w/o a mask is a little easier but SC dropped the mask mandate a few weeks ago and now the only people you see wearing them are store workers. Occasionally you’ll see one or two people with them on but it’s rare.
Drove through but got gas right before I crossed into NC and blew through NC and SC

If there is no Memorial Day spike, and we get to 10k cases per day (which seemingly could happen in the next week or 2), that would be pretty good evidence that this is officially over (until at least the fall).

Transmission rate or positive rate?  The people getting the virus are unvaccinated, and the rate of infection among those folks are still at the January peak rates.
I saw a report on this exact topic, great summary in one sentence.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, but feel like you don't need to because the rest of the population is covering that for you, think again. The numbers are coming down because vaccinated people aren't going to the hospital or passing away. If you haven't gotten the vaccine you are still at just as much risk of a bad outcome as before the vaccines were available. 

Please, get the vaccine.

I saw a report on this exact topic, great summary in one sentence.

If you haven't gotten the vaccine, but feel like you don't need to because the rest of the population is covering that for you, think again. The numbers are coming down because vaccinated people aren't going to the hospital or passing away. If you haven't gotten the vaccine you are still at just as much risk of a bad outcome as before the vaccines were available. 

Please, get the vaccine.
I am also seeing that severe cases are up as a percentage among teens now too.  The virus is finding paths of least resistance and doing its thing.  

Man, that is still a pretty high level of deaths.

I spent last week in Colorado with my sister and her boyfriend.  They both live in Atlanta, but she's an avid hiker and my wife and I both active, so we thought it would be fun to get together in the Rockies for a post-covid hiking trip.  We would have done this even if covid was still raging since it's just the four of us, but as it turned out we were all vaccinated, everybody had dropped their masking rules, and restaurants were mostly fully open for business again.  Great trip.

Anyway, my sister and her boyfriend both had covid back in January.  She's a nurse, so I always just assumed that she got it from work.  Nope.  Basically she and her boyfriend just got tired of not going to restaurants and bars, so they both said #### it and just started going out to whatever was open late last fall.  And of course those sorts of places had to be jam packed full of people who were not taking any sorts of reasonable precautions because sensible people would have been avoiding the hell out of them.  So the two of them got covid more or less at the same time, and they both reported that they were completely knocked on their asses for 10-12 days with the worst illness they've ever had.  Brilliant.  I really hope those draft beers were worth it.

Before anybody asks, she's a left-winger who also just so happens to be the kind of person who would consistently fail the marshmallow test.  That's not important to the story.  The point is that I think this is the first person I've met IRL who just openly admits that they got tired of hunkering down and just decided -- in essence -- to take their chances with covid instead.  I knew people like that existed, but I've never met one before. 

My son's JHS (grades 6-8) has had 1 Covid case in the last month.
My son's school (grades 6-12) doesn't distinguish between student cases and staff cases. They have reported a few cases per week pretty consistently since their return from Christmas break.

For every day that one or more cases are reported at the school, most parents get a boilerplate text that "Cases have been reported, your child was not a contact, etc. etc. ..." However, three times since January, the school has closed up completely for a week because too many students at one time were close contacts to a reported case.

FWIW, my son has been virtual all year long except for five days in person for state testing. During that testing, there was a COVID outbreak sufficient to shut the school down yet again for a week.

I am also seeing that severe cases are up as a percentage among teens now too.  The virus is finding paths of least resistance and doing its thing.  
That headline is making the rounds (CNN, CBS News), but there are no CDC statistics that show that, can you provide a link?
Stats are given at both links -- the top one is the actual study, the second link is an interpretive summary.

Hospitalization of Adolescents Aged 12–17 Years with Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 — COVID-NET, 14 States, March 1, 2020–April 24, 2021 (CDC, 6/4/2021)

Trending: Teens (CDC, 6/4/2021)

A recent CDC study found COVID-19-associated hospitalization rates among adolescents ages 12-17 years increased during March and April, following declines in January and February 2021. This trend differed from hospitalization rates among people ages 65 years and older—the age group with the highest COVID-19 vaccination coverage—who saw hospitalization rates stabilize during the same timeframe.

Transmission rate or positive rate?  The people getting the virus are unvaccinated, and the rate of infection among those folks are still at the January peak rates.
Transmission rate. Ro was down to .64 and positive was like 4%

Ro is now .80 but positive is down to 1.2% 

2000ish people a week are still dying from this?  Seriously?  Looking at facebook and the news I thought it was over.  Jeebus 

2000ish people a week are still dying from this?  Seriously?  Looking at facebook and the news I thought it was over.  Jeebus 
You've been in this thread for a bit. Cycle back to last summer when we were talking about 9/11 deaths and how we were approaching those numbers, then how we were averaging that, then blew past it like it was nothing. People become comfortable with the new normals and tend to ignore the sheer magnitude of the event. 

My client is a state agency in FL. Today was my first Monday on site in a year+. I am usually there on Thursdays too (have been for months). I saw more people today approaching the building wearing masks than people inside the building wearing masks for the entire day. No idea wth that’s about. 

Saw about 3-4 folks without masks at Target on Saturday (all shoppers, of course).  I am fully-vaccinated but waiting until the 15th when things are supposed to ease up.  

So after being super careful and not going anywhere really, we have ventured out some (not much).  This past Monday, my son, who has been in cyber-kindergarten all year, attended a "school picnic" where he played with kids outside on a playground.  Some kids were masked and some kids were not.  Mine was, but wasn't as compliant as normal because of the other kids not wearing their.  We also went swimming at my wife's aunt's on Sunday.  My son was in the pool the whole time basically and not near folks -- everyone there was vaccinated except two other young kids (3 and 1).  My son did probably eat some chips from a bag other put their hands in as well . . . 

Fast-forward to 3am last night and he is vomiting.  Vomited off and on until 6am, but kept down a half-piece of toast and Gatorade after that.  Until noon where he just vomited up Gatorade -- also now has a 100 fever.  Hopefully just stomach bug but sounds like he may get a covid test tomorrow.  

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to vent that we have done most things right, stayed outside, and somehow this kid got some kind of virus.  UGH.  

Just heard a news clip saying Florida and Alabama will no longer be reporting daily cases and fatalities. I'm sure the rest of us southern states aren't far behind. It's all over folks. Nothing to see here. :wall:  

So after being super careful and not going anywhere really, we have ventured out some (not much).  This past Monday, my son, who has been in cyber-kindergarten all year, attended a "school picnic" where he played with kids outside on a playground.  Some kids were masked and some kids were not.  Mine was, but wasn't as compliant as normal because of the other kids not wearing their.  We also went swimming at my wife's aunt's on Sunday.  My son was in the pool the whole time basically and not near folks -- everyone there was vaccinated except two other young kids (3 and 1).  My son did probably eat some chips from a bag other put their hands in as well . . . 

Fast-forward to 3am last night and he is vomiting.  Vomited off and on until 6am, but kept down a half-piece of toast and Gatorade after that.  Until noon where he just vomited up Gatorade -- also now has a 100 fever.  Hopefully just stomach bug but sounds like he may get a covid test tomorrow.  

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to vent that we have done most things right, stayed outside, and somehow this kid got some kind of virus.  UGH.  
Did the 3 and 1 year old get sick as well?

SC update, no virus here, still see the occasional person with a mask on (my wife being one) but it's few and far between these days. Workers still wearing them but I can't see that lasting much longer.

Just heard a news clip saying Florida and Alabama will no longer be reporting daily cases and fatalities. I'm sure the rest of us southern states aren't far behind. It's all over folks. Nothing to see here. :wall:  
FL switched to weekly iirc, but yeah, nothing more than that.

This is what happens when a kid is kept locked away from everyone else for 18 months. How do you think immune systems get stronger?

Feels like its over in NYC too (except for my son still wearing a mask to school everyday). Everything else is back to normal and the case positivity rates was 0.58% last I checked.

This is what happens when a kid is kept locked away from everyone else for 18 months. How do you think immune systems get stronger?
If you are exposed to a virus that you didn't get before, you will get sick?  If he was in school this year, he just would have gotten the same exact thing earlier and it likely would have spread to more kids.  Not sure of you point (note -- I know what pollical point you are trying to make, but I don't find it valid).

If you are exposed to a virus that you didn't get before, you will get sick?  If he was in school this year, he just would have gotten the same exact thing earlier and it likely would have spread to more kids.  Not sure of you point (note -- I know what pollical point you are trying to make, but I don't find it valid).
I wasnt making any political point. Do you not know how immune systems work? Your kid was in his home for 18 months. Now that hes out and about hes probably gonna get these random bugs more often in the next few months. When I put my son in daycare at age 1.5 years old he got sick every other week. Kids get sick. Especially ones who have not had their immune systems doing anything for 18 months.

Feels like its over in NYC too (except for my son still wearing a mask to school everyday). Everything else is back to normal and the case positivity rates was 0.58% last I checked.
Yeah, the difference being you guys (NY) are in the top 10-12 of vaccinated states, which is awesome.  Mine (LA) and Alabama are in the bottom 4 :bag:  Florida is in the middle of the pack. 

Yeah, the difference being you guys (NY) are in the top 10-12 of vaccinated states, which is awesome.  Mine (LA) and Alabama are in the bottom 4
Things are going to come to a head in Louisiana soon. Every college in the state that I'm aware of has a COVID vaccination requirement for fall 2021. Public K-12 schools won't have vaccination requirements in place for the 2021-22 school year (maybe high schools), but it's a hammerlock that such requirements for all of K-12 will be in place for the 2022-23 school year.

Things are going to come to a head in Louisiana soon. Every college in the state that I'm aware of has a COVID vaccination requirement for fall 2021. Public K-12 schools won't have vaccination requirements in place for the 2021-22 school year (maybe high schools), but it's a hammerlock that such requirements for all of K-12 will be in place for the 2022-23 school year.
I've not heard of colleges requiring COVID vaccination. In fact, my daughter just attended orientation last week and although she was asked to bring her (non-COVID) vaccination record, she said they didn't say a word about Covid vaccines. And I've not seen anything published by the school saying that it will be mandatory. They're pretty much going with the state's recommendations (if fully vaccinated, masks not required, etc.)

I think it was LSU that was talking about it a little while back and the Attorney General (IIRC) was trying to sue them over it? 

That's going to be ugly not only there but around the country. Same thing in place in SC, all the colleges have a COVID vaccination requirement for in-person classes. Should be interesting to watch play out.

This is going to sound harsh, but why track and report when the citizens of these states clearly do not care about covid? What can be said to these people that 600,000 deaths has not already communicated? Government actions are only tolerated if a reflection of its citizens.  

I've not heard of colleges [in Louisiana] requiring COVID vaccination. In fact, my daughter just attended orientation last week and although she was asked to bring her (non-COVID) vaccination record, she said they didn't say a word about Covid vaccines. And I've not seen anything published by the school saying that it will be mandatory. They're pretty much going with the state's recommendations (if fully vaccinated, masks not required, etc.)

I think it was LSU that was talking about it a little while back and the Attorney General (IIRC) was trying to sue them over it? 
Yeah, I've looked into this and it's not quite as prevalent as I thought. However, here's a list of Louisiana colleges that are. I haven't finished researching yet -- might be able to find more:

VACCINATION REQUIRED
Tulane
Xavier (or weekly COVID test)
Dillard
Loyola
LSU School of Dentistry (or weekly COVID test)

VACCINATION NOT REQUIRED
Delgado (not required)
University of Holy Cross (to decide in June)
UNO (not required as of 5/13, faculty voted to mandate)

LSU (not required as of 5/20, faculty voted to mandate)

What's confusing things is that the LSU and UNO faculty votes in favor of vaccination requirements are reported on the news as finalized firm requirements. I heard about both on the radio in recent weeks, and it was presented as done deals in both cases.

EDIT: I left out Loyola University of New Orleans in the "Vaccination Required" list.

I have had occasions while in FL and SC where I have been on the edge of going MOP on a large crowd of unmasked people. 

Unfortunately I believe my home state is about to be just as screwed as the Governor intends to lift the mask restrictions entirely on June 20. His initial intention was to wait until we were at 70% vaccinated, but he wants to be like everyone else. They will be lifting all state mandated restrictions on June 20. Yay! COVID is over! We are at 41.4% with at least 1 dose. 34.7% fully vaccinated.

pretty good write-up on the Covid origins debate:

The COVID lab-leak hypothesis: what scientists do and don’t know

a few nuggets that were notable to me (after having read the Vanity Fair piece last week):

• it's not uncommon for it to take years (or forever) to find the animal source
Outbreak-origin investigations often take years, and some culprits remain unknown. It took 14 years to nail down the origin of the SARS epidemic, which began with a virus in bats that spread to humans, most likely through civets. To date, a complete Ebola virus has never been isolated from an animal in the region where the world’s largest outbreak occurred between 2013 and 2016.
  • pre-print, so not peer-reviewed yet but....
a report, posted to the preprint server bioRxiv on 27 May, suggests that RmYN02, a coronavirus in bats in southern China, might be more closely related to SARS-CoV-2 than RATG13 is4.
  • Re: the theory of the coronavirus lab suspiciously being in the city of suspected origin... basically the section stated that the lab (and other labs in the same vein that have specialized focuses) are located in those areas bc of the prevalence of the viruses they are studying:
Researchers note that a coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan isn’t surprising, because it’s a city of 11 million people in a broader region where coronaviruses have been found. It contains an airport, train stations and markets selling goods and wildlife transported there from around the region5 — meaning a virus could enter the city and spread rapidly.

• a couple of other genetic markers which had been hailed as "smoking guns" of the lab-leak theory have been argued, and the main scientist that gave that smoking gun theory has now walked that back after being corrected by several other renowned scientists
  • re: the theory that it originated from mine findings in 2015:
So, for SARS-CoV-2 to have come from this mine in China, WIV researchers would have had to overcome some serious technical challenges — and they would have kept the information secret for a number of years and misled investigators on the WHO-led mission, scientists point out. There's no evidence of this, but it can't be ruled out.

So I’m seeing posts about studies saying Hydroxychloroquine actually does help prevent covid deaths after all.  Though the study looks a little light and not peer reviewed.  What am i missing?
Nothing -- the source, McKinnon Broadcasting/KUSI-San Diego is on par with OANN, Newsmax, and the like. Here, KUSI presents one non-peer-reviewed study -- and note well that MedRxiv is a pre-print site with no barriers to publication and no peer review.

Nothing -- the source, McKinnon Broadcasting/KUSI-San Diego is on par with OANN, Newsmax, and the like. Here, KUSI presents one non-peer-reviewed study -- and note well that MedRxiv is a pre-print site with no barriers to publication and no peer review.
Yeah, I'm not familiar with that source, but the large-scale studies I've seen on it (and there have been quite a few by now), the difference between the control group and placebo groups were, statistically speaking, zero. Meaning it was ineffective. 

And it never happens that "a study!" -- a single study -- turns all exiting scientific consensus over all at one shot.

Got a study -- one study -- that shows current consensus should be flipped? Oh, and your one study is peer-reviewed, so that laypersons should believe that the science has been well and rightly flipped 180 degrees yet again?

First off -- performing one study that bucks consensus and having that studied peer-reviewed means only that (a) you've got one study vs hundreds that underpin the current consensus and that (b) your peers in the field agree that your study has no serious procedural/statistical errors or oversights.

So ... that one study. Is it enough to change "what everyone should think"? Never. It has to be replicated by other researchers many times and whatever holes existed in your study (e.g. age range, population diversity, stricter controls) will be patched in some of these replications. If all those replicated studies trend toward similar results to that initial one study, then consensus will build gradually and "the science", as understood by laymen, will change.

11 people died from Covid in my town this last week. I just can’t fathom that. These are 11 people that would, more than likely, be alive today if they just got the vaccine. 
I have begun to see the swing happen in the few stores I have been in. Before you would find just a handful of people not wearing a mask. Now I feel like the odd person out as I continue to wear one only in certain establishments (and I have had the vaccine for  some time). 

Friend from my hometown, only a year older than me, went on a mission trip to Africa. Contracted Covid. Was hospitalized. Didn't make it. Two teenage kids and a wife at home. ####. I would assume unvaccinated, just judging from the mentality of the majority of folks from my hometown. Typical southern small town. It upsets me, and quite honestly, pisses me off. *blows out* Thanks for letting me vent. 

Users who are viewing this thread