What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Just spoke with a nurse buddy who works at a local hospital and he said they've seen in uptick in Covid cases the last 2 weeks, and have had to re-open a Covid unit that had been unused for months now. :censored:  

Going to take some time (a few months or so), but this will all come out in the wash. The popular media here is overstating both sides' scientific predictions. It's not Pfizer saying "Gotta get boosters NOW or all the vaccinated are unprotected!" and it's not the CDC saying "Meh, vaccination immunity lasts for years -- chill already!" The positions are much more nuanced than that.

One thing I really hope is not happening is that Pfizer is appearing to be perhaps chasing profits (trying to ensure more doses are paid for in the near future for booster use). Bur Pfizer will need to get external stakeholders on board to make that happen, so there are checks on the worst potential abuses of the system. Pfizer could well be in the right -- it's just that it will also require independent researchers to reach similar conclusions and build consensus around them.
Agreed. I wonder what data they have that they've not shared yet to indicate that a 3rd booster shot is needed. 🤔 Because everything out there so far indicates that the 2-shot regimen is effective against all variants to date, including Delta. Have you seen anything to the contrary?

small study, not peer-reviewed yet, but that's a large percentage and seems intuitive

Cats and dogs get COVID-19 from their owners at extremely high rates

tl;dr if you had COVID, chances are high you gave it to your cat, especially if they sleep on your bed. Possibly your dog, but they seem less susceptible. Most were asymptomatic, but some did develop symptoms. No data suggests there has been any animal-to-human transmission, which is gooooood. 

Just spoke with a nurse buddy who works at a local hospital and he said they've seen in uptick in Covid cases the last 2 weeks, and have had to re-open a Covid unit that had been unused for months now. :censored:  
Yep. We are tracking right behind UK and Israel. 7-day average up from 11,000 to 16,000 now, but the last 2 days have been worse (25-30k cases per day)

There's a new variant of concern, Lamda, which originated in Peru and is now in 29 countries.
Unless it has been upgraded, it's just a variant of "interest" right now. Just one they are keeping an eye on. If they deem them to be dangerous, then they get upgraded to variant of "concern" like Delta did. 

Agreed. I wonder what data they have that they've not shared yet to indicate that a 3rd booster shot is needed. 🤔 Because everything out there so far indicates that the 2-shot regimen is effective against all variants to date, including Delta. Have you seen anything to the contrary?
I haven't seen anything specific to the contrary, but at the same time I always thought the vaccine-imparted immunity would wane over time. Personally, I kind of want to get a booster every six months to a year until more is known about just how long the immunity can be expected to last.

As I understand it ... Pfizer is not now saying that the two-shot regimen is not effective against known variants. They're saying that they've seen a wane in vaccine-imparted immunity (presumably among Phase 3 trial subjects from last fall?). But Pfizer's cards are not yet on the table.

Guy at work just tested positive - Pfizer vaccinated months ago......I was a few feet away talking with him at the office for about 5 minutes Thursday....Ive had a runny nose and sneezing last 2 days but I do have allergies....no fever or anything but we are supposed to leave for vacation late next week so Im going to get tested tomorrow.  I had Moderna vax but these breakthroughs are making me nervous....

In case there's any doubt about how well the vaccine works.

One event, but a birthday party in Australia with 30 people exposed to Delta variant.  24 unvaccinated people.  All 24 came down with Covid.  6 vaccinated people.  0 of the 6 came down with Covid.
Thanks. I don’t want to say I don’t believe the anecdotes on the prior page but you never really know what happened when someone’s sister saw Ferris at 31 flavors last night.

Hedgehog said:
Guy at work just tested positive - Pfizer vaccinated months ago......I was a few feet away talking with him at the office for about 5 minutes Thursday....Ive had a runny nose and sneezing last 2 days but I do have allergies....no fever or anything but we are supposed to leave for vacation late next week so Im going to get tested tomorrow.  I had Moderna vax but these breakthroughs are making me nervous....
Fingers crossed but the odds are in your favor.  

small study, not peer-reviewed yet, but that's a large percentage and seems intuitive

Cats and dogs get COVID-19 from their owners at extremely high rates

tl;dr if you had COVID, chances are high you gave it to your cat, especially if they sleep on your bed. Possibly your dog, but they seem less susceptible. Most were asymptomatic, but some did develop symptoms. No data suggests there has been any animal-to-human transmission, which is gooooood. 
My coworker got covid a couple months ago and gave it to her chihuahua. I was skeptical when she first told me but she said the timing lined up perfectly, the dog suddenly became lethargic and wouldn’t eat his food, etc. She said she was more worried for the dog than she was for herself (she had already had one shot at the time)

We are in another spike.  Up to 20k cases per day on average, but the last few days have been over 30k.  Seems very regional for now with direct correlation with vaccine penetration.  But we are tracking the UK and Israel.

Not sure what this should mean for office re-openings this summer/fall like a lot of companies have scheduled.

We are in another spike.  Up to 20k cases per day on average, but the last few days have been over 30k.
What stats are you checking out, Leeroy? On Worldometers, in the USA there were two days over 24k last week, but none over 30k yet (scroll down to Daily New Cases map).

That said, days over 30k (and probably a spike over 50k) are likely coming.

EDIT: The UK has seen a sharp rise, and they're current 7-day average is over 31k. Is that what you saw?

Last edited by a moderator:
What stats are you checking out, Leeroy? On Worldometers, in the USA there were two days over 24k last week, but none over 30k yet (scroll down to Daily New Cases map).

That said, days over 30k (and probably a spike over 50k) are likely coming.
NYT.  32,400 on July 7 and 35,200 on July 9.

And I think transmission is higher due to people not getting tested -- colds and allergies are out there, some of those might actually be COVID going unreported.

I need to go check out what the New York Times is showing and see if I can figure out their methodology. Worldometers only shows 19K for 7/7 and 27k for 7/9.

EDIT: Paywalled. Their coronavirus coverage used to be opened up.

EDIT2: Weirdly, Googling "Johns Hopkins COVID cases USA" brings up a Google chart based on the New York Times' numbers. So I can see the same 30+k days that mentioned.

There must be a timing difference between Worldometers and NYT -- like one site closes the books at, say midnight EDT and the other at 8 a.m. or something like that. For July 8 (the last date Google display), both WM and NYT have essentially the same seven-day average.

Bad numbers in Louisiana today, although my part of the state is ok for now.  The next wave is here and people are oblivious.  These waves have been hard to project and the situation is very different than before with most of the elderly vaccinated and a more contagious variant.  Could be pretty bad or maybe deaths will stay low like in the UK.  

Bad numbers in Louisiana today, although my part of the state is ok for now.  The next wave is here and people are oblivious.  These waves have been hard to project and the situation is very different than before with most of the elderly vaccinated and a more contagious variant.  Could be pretty bad or maybe deaths will stay low like in the UK.  
I think we will see more hospitalizations and deaths than most places (in the US) with this surge, due to having one of the lowest vaccination rates in the country. Hence we are also bound to be a prime breeding ground for even more variants. But click on any news article or Covid/vax related post from anything in the entire state and it's evident why the numbers are what they are in our state. It's sad, and so damn frustrating.

NYC schools will continue to require masks for all students and staff even if vaccinated. The chances of me getting my 12 year old vaccinated are now 0% if he still has to wear a mask.

NYC schools will continue to require masks for all students and staff even if vaccinated. The chances of me getting my 12 year old vaccinated are now 0% if he still has to wear a mask.
I wouldn't want him to wear a mask still either.  However, that is completely independent from the rationale I would use to decide on whether or not to vaccinate my kids.   (mine got vaccinated right away when eligible;  zero regrets)

i rather enjoy the kids wearing masks.  My son loves his and picking which one.  Plus less germs he brings home.  Prior to this, he had a knack of bringing home literally every single cold or virus that went through that school! 🤦🏽‍♂️

in our area the day cares still do masks but k-12 do not have to and it’s up to the districts.  

100 people out of 12.8M doses of the JJ vax . . . .
Most people recover and it’s an investigation which sure looks like an average case. 100 cases in 12.8 vaccinations, which is 0.0007%. 3000-6000 cases every year regardless of vaccination. That normal rate is 0.0009-0.0018%. I mean I know why they are investigating because they want to make sure, but when you vaccinate over 100 million US people, a lot of #### is going to show up because it’s half the population.

I just hate how the media frames things to make people more worried. Reminds me of that Massachusetts study that I can’t quite remember where people took the case number as proof when that case number was tiny compared to the total number of vaccinations appearing to be more effective that 95%.

Most people recover and it’s an investigation which sure looks like an average case. 100 cases in 12.8 vaccinations, which is 0.0007%. 3000-6000 cases every year regardless of vaccination. That normal rate is 0.0009-0.0018%. I mean I know why they are investigating because they want to make sure, but when you vaccinate over 100 million US people, a lot of #### is going to show up because it’s half the population.

I just hate how the media frames things to make people more worried. Reminds me of that Massachusetts study that I can’t quite remember where people took the case number as proof when that case number was tiny compared to the total number of vaccinations appearing to be more effective that 95%.
its all about them clicks

Yup.  The media is scientifically and statistically illiterate.

unfortunately its looking like we have another 200+ pages to go here. :cry:
Worried about what the fall is going to look like at this pace. Can't see lockdowns returning and not sure (particularly with how the media is covering the J&J news) we are going to make a significant dent in the unvaccinated domestically.

Desert_Power said:
Worried about what the fall is going to look like at this pace. Can't see lockdowns returning and not sure (particularly with how the media is covering the J&J news) we are going to make a significant dent in the unvaccinated domestically.
Yea.  The companies (like Comcast) who are waiting to call their folks back to the office in September may be in for a rude awakening.  

Yea.  The companies (like Comcast) who are waiting to call their folks back to the office in September may be in for a rude awakening.  
Yeah. We have nothing but the vague "after Labor Day" comment. Was actually trying to find a place I could work on the network this week but it is impossible. Starting to doubt I'll see the inside of the office this year.

We're going to be leaving the:

" If everyone else is getting vaccinated....why should I get the vaccine?"

phase and will be moving into the

" Is it really a coincidence that COVID is only rising in states won by Trump?"

territory soon.

The thing that many gloss over, is though you’re not likely to die from COVID, there is a good chance you’re ####ed up in some way long term. 

Users who are viewing this thread