What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Pfizer posts data stating a third dose may provide "up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization"  today.

Not sure why CDC pushed back so hard on them a couple of weeks ago.  

My question is whether we can mix Pfizer and Moderna for the boosters.

Any new data on getting a one shot Moderna/Pfizer booster for those who originally got J&J? I remember reading rumblings about this a few weeks ago and it possibly being a good idea. 

Anecdotal story only.  Two holdouts on vaccines in my department are now planning to get the shots.  I see a few others on facebook who are now planning to get vaccinated.  I think it looked like Covid was over, so a lot of the hesitant just hoped they wouldn't have to get it.  Now they are getting pushed over the edge by the recent upswing. 

One in my office basically told me he was swayed by the lunacy of the anti-vaxxers online.  The people who were posting crazy stuff actually made him decide to get the shot.  

Pfizer posts data stating a third dose may provide "up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization"  today.

The CDC has been shown to be a frightful mess in all this.  Poor decisions, proclamations, and reversals all over the place.  Right now they rate with Congress with trustworthiness.

They have been doing studies on mixing and matching and the results I've seen show a stronger result.  As does waiting longer between the two shots.  So a third shot may be even better than expected, given most people that have had the shots have had them months ago. 

Pfizer and Moderna are basically the same, so I see no reason why that would matter (standard disclaimer that I am not a doctor). Also, as Sand says there have been some promising results in people who did mixy-matchy with mRNA/adenovirus vaccines. 

I would assume there will be more specific guidance by the time we actually get to taking booster shots, but I haven't heard any evidence suggesting it will matter which one you get.

You have a link for this?

I'm seeing 5x boost in antibody titers in younger folks and 11x boost in older folks. 

Curious what the real number is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anecdotal story only.  Two holdouts on vaccines in my department are now planning to get the shots.
Anecdotal reports from St. Tammany Parish, LA (a deep-red "plan-demic" area and a ongoing Delta hotspot) are that local hospitals & clinics are getting a lot of people suddenly signing up and showing up for the COVID vaccines. People are now actually waiting in numbers now at these vaccination locations, whereas two weeks ago it was an easy no-wait walk-up.

One in my office basically told me he was swayed by the lunacy of the anti-vaxxers online.  The people who were posting crazy stuff actually made him decide to get the shot.
Man, I hope this mindset takes hold.

Send everyone's social media account a link to TPF, and the U.S. could reach 90% vaxed in a week.

Anecdotal reports from St. Tammany Parish, LA (a deep-red "plan-demic" area and a recent hotspot) are that local hospitals & clinics are getting a lot of people suddenly signing up and showing up for the COVID vaccines. People are now actually waiting in numbers now at these vaccination locations, whereas two weeks ago it was an easy no-wait walk-up.
Scalise effect?  Let's hope we can get to 60% and then add the kids in.

Any new data on getting a one shot Moderna/Pfizer booster for those who originally got J&J? I remember reading rumblings about this a few weeks ago and it possibly being a good idea. 
Still preliminary, but this article will give you the current state of play. Short version: Not enough replicative studies or peer review for scientific consensus to yet have been achieved. They're working on it.

51 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Expand  
You have a link for this?

I'm seeing 5x boost in antibody titers in younger folks and 11x boost in older folks. 
US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy was on CNN this morning. The interviewer mentioned this to Murthy, saying that Pfizer self-reported a 50x increase in efficacy (??? or more likely antibody count). Murthy gave a diplomatic walking-the-line answer, something like "more study is needed".

Anecdotal reports from St. Tammany Parish, LA (a deep-red "plan-demic" area and a recent hotspot) are that local hospitals & clinics are getting a lot of people suddenly signing up and showing up for the COVID vaccines.
Scalise effect?  Let's hope we can get to 60% and then add the kids in.
Probably a piece of the "convincing the inconvincible" puzzle, though I think the persuasive factors are manifold.

Are you in Louisiana? Don't need to specify location ... was just curious.

US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy was on CNN this morning. The interviewer mentioned this to Murthy, saying that Pfizer self-reported a 50x increase in efficacy (??? or more likely antibody count). Murthy gave a diplomatic walking-the-line answer, something like "more study is needed".
As we are finding out, the vaccine efficacy vs Delta tends to wane over time much quicker than expected. Couldnt this be the case with the results of a booster shot (ie the efficacy will just wane over time)?

There’s “estimated potential for up to 100-fold increase in Delta neutralization post-dose three compared to pre-dose three,” researchers wrote in the Pfizer data slides.

The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published.

Seems like this is true. 

Heard back from my son’s preschool. All their staff is vaccinated and while they don’t have a mask mandate yet, they will make sure he keeps his on if that’s our request. They also have a bunch of cleaning protocols they do each week.

Much better than I expected so I think we are good to go. 

As we are finding out, the vaccine efficacy vs Delta tends to wane over time much quicker than expected.
This may also depend on how far apart the mRNA doses are administered. The UK and Israel differ both on the dosing schedule and the reported Delta efficacy.

Heard back from my son’s preschool. All their staff is vaccinated and while they don’t have a mask mandate yet, they will make sure he keeps his on if that’s our request. They also have a bunch of cleaning protocols they do each week.

Ask about ventilation practices if you don't know them.

School environments are typically decent about ventilation, assuming the preschool is not in a beat-up. low-ceiling cave of a building or something. If the preschool's classroom(s) feel nice and spacious to you -- nice high ceilings, plenty of floor space, kids not packed on top of each other in a veritable broom closet -- that's a big plus.

I feel for you dude.  Tough juggling Covid risk vs. the importance of socialization and possibly the cost.  Hopefully this news helps you navigate this.

Still preliminary, but this article will give you the current state of play. Short version: Not enough replicative studies or peer review for scientific consensus to yet have been achieved. They're working on it.
This is an area where I think it pays to do the homework too -- unlike the EUA, which should be confirmed as "approved".  Pfizer stands to make a #### ton of money from a 3rd shot, so you can't just take their study at face value.  I think it will prove out, but that's just basic due diligence stuff.

After 10 days away from wife and kids due to COVID, JP councilman promotes vaccines (WWL-TV, 7/26/2021)

“The hardest thing for me, I’ve been away from them for 10 days,” [Jefferson Parish councilman Dominick Impastato] said. “I’ve been completely out of the house for more than 10 days now.”
This is a twist on the usual story. The councilman is not a vaccine denier -- in fact, he got his shots ASAP. But his wife was medically advised not to take the vaccine. Recently, Dominick Impastato's wife and three kids all tested positive -- so he's isolated away from his family over the past week and a half. Now he's going public with his story to help promote vaccinations in the area.

For those wondering, Impastato represents a suburban area minutes west of New Orleans.

Horrible if true, but its a fact that more kids die from the seasonal flu than from Covid (on a yearly basis). Should we keep all kids wearing masks in schools permanently?
Or this?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/health/rsv-cdc-warning/index.html

Pales in comparison. Yet we freak out over 32 hospitalizations 

Each year in the United States, RSV leads to on average approximately 58,000 hospitalizations with 100-500 deaths among children younger than 5 years old and 177,000 hospitalizations with 14,000 deaths among adults aged 65 years or older.
Yet we want our kids to mask up for Covid. Lunacy

Good news for Pfizer
OK ... ?

I don't think it's problematic that they profit off of their COVID vaccines. I guess if they go the Martin Shkreli route, that's one thing ... but I don't agree with the idea that any profit they make off of the vaccine is morally questionable.

If, in the future, we learn that the boosters they pushed don't make much of a difference ... the public won't take them. There will be A LOT of eyes on this stuff -- the pharma companies are not going to be able to push through something ineffective or marginally effective for very long.

EDIT: Plus, there are multiple players in the vaccine market. Competition is a good thing -- if Pfizer, say, tries to nakedly profiteer off of boosters, one or more of their competitors will undercut them and bring prices down.

Anecdotal reports from St. Tammany Parish, LA (a deep-red "plan-demic" area and a ongoing Delta hotspot) are that local hospitals & clinics are getting a lot of people suddenly signing up and showing up for the COVID vaccines. People are now actually waiting in numbers now at these vaccination locations, whereas two weeks ago it was an easy no-wait walk-up.
Now might be a good time to set up some pop-up vax stations around town, nothing like eyeing up your mortality to prompt action  :thumbup:

Now might be a good time to set up some pop-up vax stations around town, nothing like eyeing up your mortality to prompt action  :thumbup:

I think many of us said really early on that lots of people won't take this serious unless/until it hits home.  Some still won't be many will change their mind once someone close is infected or worse.  It's unfortunate it has to be that way for some but honestly my mindset is I don't care why you get the vaccine, just get it.

Agree here. "Booster" should not be a dirty word. If a booster helps people, bring it on.
Neither should "mask" but here we are.

School environments are typically decent about ventilation, assuming the preschool is not in a beat-up. low-ceiling cave of a building or something. If the preschool's classroom(s) feel nice and spacious to you -- nice high ceilings, plenty of floor space, kids not packed on top of each other in a veritable broom closet -- that's a big plus.
I'm to the point of recommending that if you have the means, buy a cheap air scrubber and donate to your child's room. If the ####### schools won't do it, do it yourself.

Bet they sell a lot of Darwin shirts there.

OK ... ?

I don't think it's problematic that they profit off of their COVID vaccines. I guess if they go the Martin Shkreli route, that's one thing ... but I don't agree with the idea that any profit they make off of the vaccine is morally questionable.

If, in the future, we learn that the boosters they pushed don't make much of a difference ... the public won't take them. There will be A LOT of eyes on this stuff -- the pharma companies are not going to be able to push through something ineffective or marginally effective for very long.

EDIT: Plus, there are multiple players in the vaccine market. Competition is a good thing -- if Pfizer, say, tries to nakedly profiteer off of boosters, one or more of their competitors will undercut them and bring prices down.
Right, we're talking about something that is free to most people currently, but only costs $19.50. People spend $ on all sorts of really stupid stuff. I don't have a problem with any company selling a potentially life saving drug dose costing as much as a family meal at Panda Express. The market will decide it's worth in the long run, but sub $20 is ridiculously cheap. I'd much rather pay for a $20 shot and try to avoid having to pay for a Regeneron antibody cocktail costing anywhere between $1500 and $6500. 

Oh yea for sure. My wife and I head there next week so we will scope it all out. We saw it last year before covid and it seemed ideal then. Thanks. 

All the age groups have their own room and there are only 14 kids in his class. 

Horrible if true, but its a fact that more kids die from the seasonal flu than from Covid (on a yearly basis). Should we keep all kids wearing masks in schools permanently?
I don't even know why I'm answering this as your tone and talking points make it pretty clear where you stand on this. 

The impact on children has become significantly worse in the last month or two. This is an evolving situation. Your talking point from May 2020 is horribly out of date and has minimal relevance in the context of the post you quoted. 

Or this?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/health/rsv-cdc-warning/index.html

Pales in comparison. Yet we freak out over 32 hospitalizations 

Yet we want our kids to mask up for Covid. Lunacy
Comparing national, year-long data from an established virus, to single-state, monthly data from a novel and rapidly worsening outbreak does seem to be in line with YOUR standard caliber of analysis in this thread. :lol:  

You did get the lunacy part right, though. :thumbup:  

Keep up the good work, Scienceguy. 

That's not being very excellent.  May want to warm up the judgerules alias
Im not the one who started with the sarcastic name-calling

Comparing national, year-long data from an established virus, to single-state, monthly data from a novel and rapidly worsening outbreak does seem to be in line with YOUR standard caliber of analysis in this thread.  

You did get the lunacy part right, though.  

Keep up the good work, Scienceguy

Dude texts his "buddies" Debbie Downer news about children being hospitalized with Covid and then wonders why they get mad at him. That's not sociopathic behavior at all. Thanks posty

@IC FBGCav

Since you and I are the only one's who seem to care about this

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/reinfected-covid-survivors-less-likely-to-spread-virus-study/

COVID-19 survivors who become reinfected may be less likely to spread the disease or experience severe symptoms, a new study claims.

The study found that the risk of reinfection was low, with an estimated rate of 3.1 per 100,000 participants producing a “strong positive” test — meaning that the results indicated significant levels of viral load in their swabs.

Users who are viewing this thread