What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

Interesting article on who is hospitalized in NYC -  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/nyregion/nyc-covid-hospitalizations.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

A couple of interesting takaways

- 18 percent were 25 to 34 years old, which is actually the largest age group hospitalized

- 10 to 15 percent of patients hospitalized have been vaccinated but those vaccinated and severely ill are high risk and are generally on chemotherapy, high-dose steroids, elderly or otherwise immunosuppressed.

Good questions.  I have an un-opened box or two of them from the California fires a couple of years ago.  I'm assuming they'll have an expiration date on them. 
Basic 3M N95 masks, like you'd buy at Home Depot, are dated 5 years after manufacture. The weak spot seems to be the elastic.

The problem is herd immunity is off the table so the mindset of "all getting it at some point" loses some of its edge. 

Is the thought that by the time more people get this that some will have lost their vaccine/natural immunity?  Because it seems to me that eventually we should reach herd immunity unless the % just keeps going up due to variants.  I think many places are probably close to the original 70%.  Maybe the variants just blow that theory out of the water though.

Not saying it, but not accounting for it. Natural antibodies aren't on the shelf at Walgreens.

Otherwise ... what was the guy's point?
I think his point was the message needs to be more nuanced than you must get vaccinated to work here. Prior infection should also be accounted for. My company just said anyone in the office needs to be fully vaccinated. I was vaccinated in March and my buddy just recovered from covid but is unvaxxed. I think a case can be made that's he's more protected than me. Anyway here's another article.

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2021/07/covid_survivors_resistance/index.html

Heard today there is a special area of a local hospital that is full of people with vaccine side effects.  It came from the persons daughter in law that is a nurse at the hospital.  Anyone else hear anything like this?  I just nodded and didn't say anything.

Heard today there is a special area of a local hospital that is full of people with vaccine side effects.  It came from the persons daughter in law that is a nurse at the hospital.  Anyone else hear anything like this?  I just nodded and didn't say anything.
I personally have not heard anything like this and I know a lot of people that work in hospitals around the US.  The consistent thing that I’ve been hearing is that covid admissions have been rising over the past couple of weeks—a combination of younger people and fully vaccinated older people.  One of my biggest concerns is in regards to the nursing homes.  If vaccine efficacies are going down as time passes, and they are already reduced in people with weakened immune systems—the high transmission levels of this Delta variant can definitely pose a threat.   An immediate booster might be something that our cdc wants to look into very soon for those situations. 

I have tried to steer clear of things in here for a long time but I always feel an obligation to share any 1st hand information my wife passes along since she works in a hospital everyday and so I was kind of slow to ask much about this Delta variant and I haven't been watching much news so I have no idea what is true/untrue but I can share this for sure, the hospital is overflowing right now, we're in South Florida, if you are traveling down here you might be bringing it with you because we have one of the most vaccinated States in the country according to the map I was looking at. 

Or there seems to be people who are still getting sick and yes at least a portion of them have already been vaccinated. 

Does the Ivermectin need it's own thread or is there one already started? Does anyone know much about it other than whatever internet negativity or positivity is behind it? Joe Rogan had a Podcast that featured a couple doctors that seemed like they were credible but that's an entertainment show not science. 

I would take the Delta about as seriously as you took things in 2020, maybe you don't shelter in place so much but would it kill you to avoid large gatherings of people for a bit until we can see which way this thing swings? Not being preachy at all, just passing along information from the front lines and I know we have some doctors and nurses and hospital type staff sprinkled about in here, they likely have posted about what they are witnessing. Between 40-50% of the deaths we have learned had diabetes and so you know if you are not on the healthy side of the spectrum, protect yourself please. 

I've noticed an uptick in mask wearing in the local grocery stores around here as well. My wife went to the mall the other night to return something and it was a ghost town. She walked thru Macy's there were 2 people she counted shopping in the store. My wife is fully vaccinated. 

Cheers!

All the time bro.  There is a special morgue for vaccinated people being setup at my sister's friends hospital she strips at. 

To me it's not really about herd immunity, just the reality we're going to have to deal with.  We'll all get it, vaccinated or not. People who have gotten it before will get it again at some point.  Do we lock down... forever?  Just never eat out again for the rest of your life?  Never travel again?  Never again be face to face with someone outside of your household without a mask on?  Forever
You say that...  but what if I told you I've not had COVID yet in 18 months of this? 

What if I told you I was eating out or going to bars/restaurants 2-4x a week since whenever restrictions were off. 

What if I told you I flew to Costa Rica in March to live and work for 6 weeks. 

What if I told you I'd taken road trips through NC, KY, TN, MS, and AR.... and had flown at LEAST 15 flight segments domestically in the last 12 months on TOP of the Costa Rica trip. 

And what if I told you all I did was get vaccinated, wear a mask when it seemed smart, and put SOME thought into the places I would eat and drink. 

People like to act like taking precautions means you're going full Mr Ham and hiding in your basement.

The reality is a LOT of us are living VERY active, full lives while mitigating risk and taking a few simple precautions.... and have avoided It this far.  It's not a black white issue.  Hell, I'd wager my social life is in the 5% most active in this thread.... easy. 

I may get it with this new variant being so contagious... and if I do, that sucks but I'll cross that bridge when I do. But in the meantime... masks,vaccines, and not being a moron have served me pretty well in returning to MY normal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just let the kids of parents scared to learn remotely.  No reason to punish the kids by making them wear masks.  I am confident Ducey will justly win this battle.

Cruising update for those who are considering it:  in the past couple of days Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (and possibly others I don't follow) have instituted a testing requirement within 72 hours pre-cruise whether or not you are vaccinated.  Continuing to change requirements based on the way things are going, which is smart.  I still think cruiselines are doing this very well.

Wearing masks isn't a punishment. This mantra has to end. Wearing a seatbelt? Punishment. Not being allowed to drive drunk? Punishment. Etc etc. C'mon.
The risks of driving a car without a seatbelt or driving drunk are hundreds times more dangerous than kids going to school wihout a mask right now.  Not apples to apples.

The risks of driving a car without a seatbelt or driving drunk are hundreds times more dangerous than kids going to school wihout a mask right now.  Not apples to apples.
Do you also realize that the same ban on masking applies to elementary age kids who aren't even eligible to get the vaccines yet? And that Delta is spreading like chicken pox, infecting 8-9 people for each sick person? 

we're in South Florida, if you are traveling down here you might be bringing it with you because we have one of the most vaccinated States in the country according to the map I was looking at. 

Wut? Florida ranks like 23rd for fully vaccinated. Not bad, but nowhere near the most vaccinated.

Wut? Florida ranks like 23rd for fully vaccinated. Not bad, but nowhere near the most vaccinated.
Johns Hopkins website confirms this. However they are better than all their neighbors and all states that are BOTH south of Virginia/east of Texas

Florida is probably one of the least masked states in the country too.  Floridians should not be complaining about people “bringing” Covid in when their states entire schtick through this epidemic is basically “hey—come over here and do whatever the eff you want—we don’t care”.  A buddy of mine traveled to Florida several weeks ago and he literally got made fun of multiple times for masking up while shopping. 

Where is that data? Just curious because in Palm Beach County, like 85-90% of the Seniors have been vaccinated, the over 65 crowd. It's been incredible for most of the high risk in Florida, quick access and most have taken the opportunity to protect themselves. I can't explain the young folks, my 21 yr old is vaccinated. 

Publix is making all of their employees mask up AGAIN on Monday mandatory and almost all their staff is already vaccinated. 

Dave Chapelle will be playing at Hard Rock in a week I believe down here and the list of things people need to do in order to gain entry is pretty astonishing, and then there's the $250-$500 ticket prices. 

Hope all is well  

So here is the question I have, Walmart is offering $100 gift cards here for people that get the vaccine. The line was 100 deep. What is stopping people from just going from Walmart to Walmart getting the vaccine?

You could hit 2-3 Walmarts a day if you were homeless and didn't care. 

Wearing masks isn't a punishment. This mantra has to end. Wearing a seatbelt? Punishment. Not being allowed to drive drunk? Punishment. Etc 
My kids did remote school last year and I am sending them back this year with masks on. I have advised both of them to prepare to get a ton of #### from peers and perhaps from staff, but to tune it out and do the right thing.

Where is that data? Just curious because in Palm Beach County, like 85-90% of the Seniors have been vaccinated, the over 65 crowd. It's been incredible for most of the high risk in Florida, quick access and most have taken the opportunity to protect themselves. I can't explain the young folks, my 21 yr old is vaccinated. 

Publix is making all of their employees mask up AGAIN on Monday mandatory and almost all their staff is already vaccinated. 

Dave Chapelle will be playing at Hard Rock in a week I believe down here and the list of things people need to do in order to gain entry is pretty astonishing, and then there's the $250-$500 ticket prices. 

Hope all is well  
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/us-states

So here is the question I have, Walmart is offering $100 gift cards here for people that get the vaccine. The line was 100 deep. What is stopping people from just going from Walmart to Walmart getting the vaccine?

You could hit 2-3 Walmarts a day if you were homeless and didn't care. 

Walmart’s computer systems are connected, so you’d need to use different names at each place. Probably pretty easy to do if you really wanted to it. But most would get caught using clearly fake times of their behavior would tip them off. A few years back I caught a prescription fraud ring because the guy came back twice within a month and gave me a different name each time. Then I searched the phone number it came up dozens of names around many stores, all using identical fake scripts over the period of several months. They got caught because this guy thought I wouldn’t remember him.

But back to the vaccine scheme, anyone doing it would likely pay a price for doing it. Who knows how the body will react to getting extreme amounts of the vaccine. You probably wouldn’t last more than a couple days before your immune system crushes you.

My kids did remote school last year and I am sending them back this year with masks on. I have advised both of them to prepare to get a ton of #### from peers and perhaps from staff, but to tune it out and do the right thing.
We’re doing the same. Our girls are young, so it will be harder for them to understand though I have been impressed with my 1st grader in how well she understands why she needs to wear a mask. But I don’t how well that will hold up when we’re not there and others aren’t wearing one. Their school had an open house tonight and my wife guessed that maybe 40% wore masks. Can’t imagine it will be any better and a mandate is forbidden. Just gotta hope for the best because we really want them to be in person.

We’re doing the same. Our girls are young, so it will be harder for them to understand though I have been impressed with my 1st grader in how well she understands why she needs to wear a mask. But I don’t how well that will hold up when we’re not there and others aren’t wearing one. Their school had an open house tonight and my wife guessed that maybe 40% wore masks. Can’t imagine it will be any better and a mandate is forbidden. Just gotta hope for the best because we really want them to be in person.
I think the younger kids do better.  My 4 year old loves wearing his mask.  Gets excited before we go to school when he can pick which mask he wants to wear.

Vermonter here.

Our dept of health breaks down vaccination rate by age group. Total 12+ population (at min one shot) vaccinated 79.7%

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-19/vaccine/covid-19-vaccine-dashboard

However, 0-12 being 0% vaccinated plus 18-29 being 59% vaccinated plus the decreased efficacy of the vaccines against the Delta variant have changed our trajectory- or course combined with social distancing and mask wearing having essentially disappeared.

We've seen a huge uptick in cases here in the past month. Delta is a game changer. Hospitalizations and deaths have not ticked up but not sure yet how that's going to play out, those have typically been lagging indicators.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/07/30/vermont-coronavirus-infections-spike-the-highest-daily-case-count-since-may/

Anecdotally, so far: Vaccinated folks are 4-5x less likely to have a positive test and (not sure numbers yet) but more likely to have a "mild" case, more like regular flu. We'll have to wait and see if hospitalizations follow the trend line.

Also, fwiw, my 12yo daughter was indifferent to wearing a mask. 4 year old also doesn't seem to mind or care much. I hate wearing one but I'm old and cranky. Mask wearing is becoming much more of a thing again here out in public, just in the past week.

Horrible if true, but its a fact that more kids die from the seasonal flu than from Covid (on a yearly basis). Should we keep all kids wearing masks in schools permanently?
Flu kills a few hundred kids every year, in the same ballpark as covid before delta.

And those kids serve as vectors to spread to older people, whom covid kills far more effectively than flu.

Nobody is suggesting masks forever, just until the pandemic is better controlled. 

The kids I’ve interacted with (10ish to middle school), don’t complain about masks either. I imagine little kids and older teens might be a different story.

Flu kills a few hundred kids every year, in the same ballpark as covid.

But those kids serve as vectors to spread to older people, whom covid kills far more effectively than flu.

Nobody is suggesting masks forever, just until the pandemic is better controlled. 

The kids I’ve interacted with (10ish to middle school), don’t complain about masks either. I imagine little kids and older teens might be a different story.
Haven’t these older people had ample opportunity to get vaccinated at this point? If they have decided not to is that a reason to punish kids with masks?

Haven’t these older people had ample opportunity to get vaccinated at this point? If they have decided not to is that a reason to punish kids with masks?
Why do people keep using the word “punish” in regards to masks?  It’s not a punishment—it’s a benefit to society. I guarantee you that the kids that feel masking is a punishment feel that it is largely due to the rhetoric that the adults and parents use around them in regards to it.    If those same adults and parents tell them that masking is a means for them to be hero’s in our society getting past the pandemic—the same way that doctors, nurses and first responders are—-most kids would voluntarily wear them.   When I see people referring to kids getting punished or tortured by masking—I can’t help but think that this is nothing more than a reflection of parents/adults using their children as a way of furthering their political views. 

Sounds bogus, considering the low rate of serious AEs and hospital censuses across the country.

Flu kills a few hundred kids every year, in the same ballpark as covid.

But those kids serve as vectors to spread to older people, whom covid kills far more effectively than flu.

This has been one of the things I've noticed - kids seem to be fine with masks, it's the parents who are complaining and being whiny little brats about it.

Users who are viewing this thread