Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

31 minutes ago, Sand said:

As noted earlier in this thread I have been assessing data on the risks in young people before getting my kid the shot.  The chances of a vaccine reaction are very rare, as is the possibility for a healthy 16 year old to get sick.

With Delta out and about he got his first shot today.  Still not sure I made the right decision as it's really, really close.  

Good on you for getting this done. Pre-delta, I'd tend to agree that for personal risk, it is not overwhelming in favor of getting kids vaccinated. With the delta variant running about, it is now easily the right choice for kids.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Is it me not paying attention, or is there less reporting on Moderna? Seems like the reports I see are all about Pfizer/J&J.

Moderna is a much smaller company. I believe this is their first approved vaccine. I’m sure they don’t have the same resources as the two other giant companies. 

1 minute ago, Biff84 said:

Moderna is a much smaller company. I believe this is their first approved vaccine. I’m sure they don’t have the same resources as the two other giant companies. 

Well that is not reassuring. I’d be interested in understanding  shelf life/degradation of the vax type actually pertinent to me.

48 minutes ago, BigJim® said:

Is it me not paying attention, or is there less reporting on Moderna? Seems like the reports I see are all about Pfizer/J&J.

The Moderna doses are larger than Pfizer’s— 100 micrograms vs 30 micrograms. Accordingly, the Moderna vaccine gets you triple the vaccine “capsules” (unsure of terminology here). Up until about a month ago, there was study into cutting down the Moderna dose to stretch the supply. That talk is over for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Doug B said:

The Moderna doses are larger than Pfizer’s— 100 micrograms vs 30 micrograms. Accordingly, the Moderna vaccine gets you triple the vaccine “capsules” (unsure of terminology here). Up until about a month ago, there was study into cutting down the Moderna dose to stretch the supply. That talk is over for now.

Didn't know that, interesting.

1 hour ago, nysfl2 said:

Good on you for getting this done. Pre-delta, I'd tend to agree that for personal risk, it is not overwhelming in favor of getting kids vaccinated. With the delta variant running about, it is now easily the right choice for kids.

I still don't think it's an easy decision.  He has no health concerns - typical indomitable teen.  Even with Delta there is, what, a .2% chance of him having issues either with COVID or myocarditis?  It's really small on both sides of the barbell.

Delta did tip it into the "get the jab" basket, though.  Just barely.

Not happy with our CDC folks hiding the ball on helping me make this decision.

8 minutes ago, Sand said:

I still don't think it's an easy decision.  He has no health concerns - typical indomitable teen.  Even with Delta there is, what, a .2% chance of him having issues either with COVID or myocarditis?  It's really small on both sides of the barbell.

Good article to read about why you should get the vaccine for your kids

2 hours ago, Sand said:

As noted earlier in this thread I have been assessing data on the risks in young people before getting my kid the shot.  The chances of a vaccine reaction are very rare, as is the possibility for a healthy 16 year old to get sick.

With Delta out and about he got his first shot today.  Still not sure I made the right decision as it's really, really close.  

You made the right decision 

4 minutes ago, Sand said:

Doesn't even mention myocarditis or pericarditis.  It's a very, very shallow look and completely omits the data I was looking at, which was the possibility of temporary or possibly chronic heart issues (too early to know if anything is chronic with this).

While I ultimately got to the same decision this article is a hunk of junk, bordering on dishonest.  To be honest and useful any article on this needs to go way, way deeper.

It is not nor was it meant to be a data driven article. It is from the perspective of a pediatrician. 

The problem is so many people are trying to make decisions based on data they obtain from various sources without truly being able to discern and make sense of the data that is out there. 

At some point, there has to be a level of trust in the medical community about what the right thing to do is. When someone such as this (and the vast majority of physicians) advocate getting the vaccine and do the same for their own children, it should make everyone else pause and wonder why those with the most experience and knowledge to assess the risks and benefits overwhelmingly opt to get it for themselves and their loved ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

It is not nor was it meant to be a data driven article. It is from the perspective of a pediatrician. 

The problem is so many people are trying to make decisions based on data they obtain from various sources without truly being able to discern and make sense of the data that is out there. 

At some point, there has to be a level of trust in the medical community about what the right thing to do is. When someone such as this (and the vast majority of physicians) advocate getting the vaccine and do the same for their own children, it should make everyone else pause and wonder why those with the most experience and knowledge to assess the risks and benefits overwhelmingly opt to get it for themselves and their loved ones. 

This may be true for many/most.  Not to beat my chest, but my education and everyday work leaves me in a much better position to evaluate data than a typical pediatrician.  

BTW, I deleted my comment (though you saw it prior) - they did cover it under the label MIS-C, which I missed.  So I retract my statement about the article not being up front.  It was and I missed it.

57 minutes ago, Sand said:

More like 0.2% of acute severe effects from COVID and further risk of long-term health effects vs 0.01% (1000 reports out of 10,000,000? vaccinations of teenage boys) of  of myocarditis, most of which recover just fine. Those numbers aren't close.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

If you stumble across a convenient link for that, I'd appreciate it.  (I'm on Team Moderns so I have an interest in this topic, is all).

To switch up from debating about whether to get the vaccine to not, is anyone aware of the studies about a third dose of Pfizer and when we should get it, or if we can get it? 

I'm personally interested and invested in this topic. 

Edited by woodstock

Publix and some others will again require employees to wear masks. I guess it's for liability and a small effect on the overall epidemic, although why wait until Monday. I just spoke with one of the cashiers at a Publix in Miami Beach who was the first employee I saw ditch his mask when Publix did away with their mask mandate about 2 months ago. He said he would gladly go back to wearing a mask sunce it makes some customers more comfortable. 

Edited by SoBeDad

3 hours ago, Sand said:

You made the right decision. Covid is nasty crap and the vaccine tech has been in development for 20 years. It has been given to hundreds of millions of people with minimal short term side effects. It's not even up for debate. I'm glad you are protecting them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sand said:

You made a good call.  Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

If you stumble across a convenient link for that, I'd appreciate it.  (I'm on Team Moderns so I have an interest in this topic, is all).

I was reading about it not long before Big Jim posted his question. After I get some honey-dos done, I’ll post the link.

EDIT: I can make dinner and post a link at the same time:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01893-0

Edited by Doug B
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, woodstock said:

To switch up from debating about whether to get the vaccine to not, is anyone aware of the studies about a third dose of Pfizer and when we should get it, or if we can get it? 

I'm personally interested and invested in this topic. 

Studies are ongoing, but otherwise no news yet. I’m prepped to get my third shot as well.

1 hour ago, Sand said:

This may be true for many/most.  Not to beat my chest, but my education and everyday work leaves me in a much better position to evaluate data than a typical pediatrician.  

BTW, I deleted my comment (though you saw it prior) - they did cover it under the label MIS-C, which I missed.  So I retract my statement about the article not being up front.  It was and I missed it.

What experience do you have? Fwiw, It isn’t just average pediatricians advocating the vaccine.

14 minutes ago, worrierking said:

For those considering the shot for teenagers, this popped up in my news feed this morning.  It's not peer-reviewed but is in line with general consensus:

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/07/31/coronavirus-teen-vaccine-less-heart-risk-sick-study/7241627680038/

UK isn't allowing most 18 and under to take the vaccine and you got the US marketing for it.  Strange times indeed.

Edited by IC FBGCav

Also in the news today, UK will offer booster shots of Pfizer to recipients of both Pfizer and Astrazeneca jabs this fall.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9849067/ALL-50s-clinically-vulnerable-offered-Pfizer-booster-shot.html

I believe this will happen in the US too.  The CDC and others are being non-committal so far, but it's inevitable.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sand said:

First of all, kudos to you for doing the research and making an informed decision. My kids are still too young to get jabbed, so I will be in your shoes in probably a few months. As of now, I'm leaning in favor of it (especially for our 11 year old), but at the appropriate time I do want to honestly assess the risks and consult with people I trust.

Two additional factors that may affect our decision (not saying these are right or wrong, just things we may consider):

First, I'm not sure risk can be reduced down to a simple number. For example, one of the biggest motivators for me to get my own vaccine was removing the existential fear that this could be the thing that kills me. Even if that possibility is significantly reduced in my sons, it's still there. If it came to it -- and I'm not sure it will -- I would probably accept a higher risk of minor side effects in the vaccine if I knew it prevented the much smaller risk of my kids experiencing serious illness or death.

Second, when we're talking about the risks of vaccine side effects or serious illness from Covid, both are very small. The likelihood is, if my kids get the shot it won't have any impact, positive or negative, on their personal health. But it will undoubtedly have a positive impact on overall public health. I know not everyone buys into the concept that we have a communitarian responsibility to get vaccinated to help prevent the overall spread in others, but that matters to me.

Anyway, that's where I am right now, but I figure by the time the vaccine is approved for kids we may have more information, so I will reassess at that time.

• Thanks 1

I know this is inviting the "wait two weeks" crowd, but one thing that is very different from this surge is that deaths are not tracking like they used to.  I think the 65+ crowd has enough shots in them, and got their shots before FoxNews told them not to that it's helping the death rate tremendously.  

The death rate is SO low that people are now doubting it in Texas.  

That being said the hospitalization rate is surging with the 40-50s crowd right now, and that can have a longer pole than the two weeks to a body bag.  Even children's hospitals are struggling with spaces.  It's just they are all for the most part walking out eventually.     

Put it this way, the last two surges that had a >10k daily caseload were already seeing daily deaths in the 200+ reported by the time the caseload reached 10k.  This time around.  10.   

Edited by culdeus

Having more cases than we did country wide in the spring when the vaccine was just getting rolled out. Good work :wall: 

My trip to Jax Beach in 10 days is looking like I won't be partaking in indoor dining.

Edited by Desert_Power

1 minute ago, DallasDMac said:

The fact people think there are only two outcomes, dead or not dead, is about 99% of the problem.

It's a fantastic marker for how serious a situation is on the full spectrum.  

What a difference a week makes. Last week, at Publix I saw about 25% maskup. Yesterday and today, it's over 50%. At Costco, it's also over 50% in Miami. Publix will have an employee mask mandate starting tomorrow, and a recommendation that customers use masks. One employee who wasn't using a mask said it will make some customers more comfortable if he wears a mask, so he agrees with the policy change. 

In Seattle for the weekend. There is a gosh darn cruise ship parked here that seems to be filled with anti-maskers. I was hoping One of the few good things about COVID would be the death of the cruise industry, but that obviously isn’t happening. 

We were going to check out Pike Place then saw insane unmasked crowds and just kept on driving. People are stupid. 

This mask thing is beyond dumb.  It seems the anti vax people have won. We could tell them to get on a vent but instead we insist on coddling them.  They made their choice. Make them live with it. 

2 hours ago, Desert_Power said:

Having more cases than we did country wide in the spring when the vaccine was just getting rolled out. Good work :wall: 

My trip to Jax Beach in 10 days is looking like I won't be partaking in indoor dining.

Headed down to Texas tomorrow for work and I’ll be masked up for real.  👀 😷 

4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

This mask thing is beyond dumb.  It seems the anti vax people have won. We could tell them to get on a vent but instead we insist on coddling them.  They made their choice. Make them live with it. 

What if insurance companies started not covering COVID hospital stays for people who choose not to vax?  How do we convince them to get the shot without taking away their precious freedom and just forcing them to. 

1 minute ago, Scoresman said:

What if insurance companies started not covering COVID hospital stays for people who choose not to vax?  How do we convince them to get the shot without taking away their precious freedom and just forcing them to. 

Employers telling employees they have to take PTO or LTD for covid if not vax is a great start.  #### them.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Agreed

46 minutes ago, culdeus said:

This 100%, and they are probably all fine with it too. Everyone needs to move forward, government needs to get out of the way. 

1 hour ago, Scoresman said:

In Seattle for the weekend. There is a gosh darn cruise ship parked here that seems to be filled with anti-maskers. I was hoping One of the few good things about COVID would be the death of the cruise industry, but that obviously isn’t happening. 

We were going to check out Pike Place then saw insane unmasked crowds and just kept on driving. People are stupid. 

Cruising isn't my thing, but I wouldn't skip a cruise on account of covid if I was vaccinated and if it was something I wanted to do.  If the vaccines worked in Providencetown, they'll definitely work on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Employers telling employees they have to take PTO or LTD for covid if not vax is a great start.  #### them.  

Employers mandating vaccinations, refusing service to unvaxxed, treating COVID as voluntary time off if you're unvaxxed, etc -- finally starting to see society push some of the costs of the  behavior back onto the people acting recklessly.  Took a few months post-vax, but we seem to be getting somewhere now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Cruising isn't my thing, but I wouldn't skip a cruise on account of covid if I was vaccinated and if it was something I wanted to do.  If the vaccines worked in Providencetown, they'll definitely work on a cruise ship.

I was trying to delicately put a thought or two about the spread in Provincetown and couldn't come up with anything proper to say in public, so I just typed this out, which is going nowhere. And I wonder if the media did the same as I did in the States, because all I see is the headlines and the notion that it was appropriate that a case study was done. I wonder how appropriate that is to extrapolate Provincetown behavior to that of the general population. 

eta* Oh wow did I just re-read that. You didn't. :lmao:

Edited by woodstock

On 7/31/2021 at 3:46 PM, Doug B said:

Does this create a plausible case that Moderna offers increased defense as protection wanes vs Delta? 

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Does this create a plausible case that Moderna offers increased defense as protection wanes vs Delta? 

#### yeah it does! #TeamModerna #invincible #SuperHeroPowers

Might have to get a tattoo 

• Laughing 4