What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Fun with math:

A North Carolina-based hospital system announced Monday that roughly 175 unvaccinated employees were fired for failing to comply with the organization’s mandatory coronavirus vaccination policy, the latest in a series of health-care dismissals over coronavirus immunization. Novant Health said last week that 375 unvaccinated workers — across 15 hospitals and 800 clinics — had been suspended for not getting immunized. Unvaccinated employees were given five days to comply.

So of Novant's 35,000 employees, 1.1% refused to get a vaccine and were suspended.

But, having been suspended, 200 of those 375 did in fact get vaccinated.

And, when all was said and done, only 1/200 employees decided to lose their jobs rather than be vaccinated.  i.e. we can achieve a 99.5% vaccination rate with appropriate incentives.

Fun with math:

So of Novant's 35,000 employees, 1.1% refused to get a vaccine and were suspended.

But, having been suspended, 200 of those 375 did in fact get vaccinated.

And, when all was said and done, only 1/200 employees decided to lose their jobs rather than be vaccinated.  i.e. we can achieve a 99.5% vaccination rate with appropriate incentives.

Yep.  Just like the younger AA man I overheard talking in the waiting room one day -- he basically said that you have to make the decision hard for him.  If his job required the vaccine, he would end up getting it.

Anecdote:  

Colleague of mine lives in Long Island.  Mid 40's, dad of two little ones.  Went to a pharmacy in Long Island to get a booster, they told him no.

He went to a CVS in Manhattan, told them he was high-risk, they gave him booster no questions asked.  
Did he also tell the Long Island pharmacy he was high-risk?  Seems like you're implying that, but it's not outright stated.

Yep, he said same thing at both places, Manhattan didn't check anything, gave him shot

Early on folks could give a reason as a caregiver for high-risk (read: elderly).  Do they now consider being a caregiver for young kids a reason - just curious, not for me but just in general.

I think Im gonna hold off on booster for now (Im 6 months post 2nd shot as of yesterday). I am overweight though. Im just not convinced I need one yet. CDC doesnt seem convinced either.

"If you're a person who ultimately might get a booster that will make you optimally protected, you don't necessarily need to get it tomorrow," Fauci said.

And boosters for people who got a Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be addressed with urgency, Walensky told ABC.

"I want to reiterate that this is a very slow wane. There is no urgency here to go and get your booster immediately. You know, walk don't run to your booster appointment," she said. "We will come and look at the data for Moderna and J&J in very short order."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the yet to be approved moderna booster going to be half the dose of shots 1 and 2?

I know that the third shot approved for immune compromised is the same dose as 1 and 2. 

Just like I said. They would take ivermectin and make their new drug out of it and charge an arm and a leg. The jab will be phased out once they get this approved. They can make so much more $ with it.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/pfizer-launches-final-study-covid-drug-thats-suspiciously-similar-ivermectin?fbclid=IwAR35Dy4IQHeSZtuoN3uzs6mB801PC7FOYq0CRyW5zUizagJjE_plJEuh5jQ
This article is clearly by someone that doesn't have an understanding of basic pharmacokinetics.

Potent protease inhibitors are what antiviral drugs have for retroviruses, particularly those against HIV. This is like comparing a new Ferrari to a bicycle just because they both have wheels.

This article is complete garbage.

And no, the "jab" won't be phased out. Prevention >>> treatment.

Is the yet to be approved moderna booster going to be half the dose of shots 1 and 2?

I know that the third shot approved for immune compromised is the same dose as 1 and 2. 
That's what it's looking like.

Those of us who got in early got the full dose Moderna Booster. The mass roll-out will likely be half dose.

Honestly with Moderna holding efficacy at 6 months, It would seem the half-dose is PLENTY when someone decides they'd like one. Moderna is a hoss. 

Update: Went to Black Keys at the Lyric Theater in Oxford.

I'll give them credit.... incredible job getting everyone into the venue in a quick and orderly fashion in spite of Covid Dog screening (stand on stars on sidewalk with left hand empty by your side for dog to sniff)... showing Vax card / negative test at another station, then scanning ticket at a 3rd station.  

As you can see, folks were packed in (Wide angle lens to show crowd makes it seem like I'm farther than I am from the stage

As to if the process worked?

We had a group of 8 going together. All vaxxed.
Today is Day #6 after the show... no symptoms among the group yet.
I've tested out of curiosity.... Negative. 

• Was I exposed and the vaxxine fought it off?
  • Was the screening effective in eliminating COVID-infected attendees?
I don't know.... but I do know it's bolstered my faith in post-vax public gatherings. :thumbup:  

[icon] said:

I'll give them credit.... incredible job getting everyone into the venue in a quick and orderly fashion in spite of Covid Dog screening (stand on stars on sidewalk with left hand empty by your side for dog to sniff)
Did the dogs actually out some people and were they removed from line? Curious how that went over.

Did the dogs actually out some people and were they removed from line? Curious how that went over.
We were toward the front of the line so we didn't see everyone, but the dogs definitely seemed to be working at the whole sniffing thing. 

I didn't see anyone pulled out of line but reportedly if you got alerted on, they had rapid tests on hand to confirm. 

[icon] said:

I'll give them credit.... incredible job getting everyone into the venue in a quick and orderly fashion in spite of Covid Dog screening (stand on stars on sidewalk with left hand empty by your side for dog to sniff)... showing Vax card / negative test at another station, then scanning ticket at a 3rd station. 

I know it's a minor thing but I think the thing I've been most amazed about with the whole Covid ordeal is the idea that a dog is such a good screening tool.  I guess maybe it shouldn't but it still amazes me.

My work is dropping the hammer on the very few that are unvaxxed.  They get three "warnings" to get the jab, or they're terminated.  I would have to suspect that if they have some kind of underlying health condition that prohibits them from getting it, there'd be some latitude, but just refusing to do it "just cuz" isn't going to fly.

I know it's a minor thing but I think the thing I've been most amazed about with the whole Covid ordeal is the idea that a dog is such a good screening tool.  I guess maybe it shouldn't but it still amazes me.

No doubt! It's fascinating really. Here's a good article

Humans have taken advantage of canines’ superior sense of smell for decades. Dogs’ noses bear 300 million scent receptors, compared with humans’ 5 million or 6 million. That enables them to detect tiny concentrations of odour that people can’t. Sniffer dogs are already a familiar sight in airports, where they detect firearms, explosives and drugs. Scientists have also trained dogs to detect some cancers and malaria, but the animals are not routinely used for this purpose. Researchers don’t know for sure what the dogs are smelling, but many suspect that these illnesses cause the human body to let off a distinct pattern of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These molecules readily evaporate to create scent that dogs can pick up. Previous work with non-COVID viruses has suggested that viral infections might also cause the body to do this.

Many sniffer-dog scientists turned their attention to COVID-19 early in the pandemic. They have trained their canines to smell samples, most often of sweat, in sterile containers, and to sit or paw the floor when they detect signs of infection. Trials at airports in the United Arab Emirates, Finland and Lebanon are using dogs to detect COVID-19 in sweat samples from passengers; these are then checked against conventional tests. According to data presented at the K9 meeting, dogs in Finland and Lebanon have identified cases days before conventional tests picked up the virus, suggesting that they can spot infection before symptoms start.

Riad Sarkis, a surgeon and researcher at Saint Joseph University in Beirut, is part of a French–Lebanese project that has trained 18 dogs. Sarkis used the best two performers for the airport trial in Lebanon. The dogs screened 1,680 passengers and found 158 COVID-19 cases that were confirmed by PCR tests. The animals correctly identified negative results with 100% accuracy, and correctly detected 92% of positive cases, according to unpublished results. “This is very accurate, feasible, cheap and reproducible,” says Sarkis, who has been approached about using the dogs in schools, banks and prisons, and is working with a shopping mall to offer COVID-19 testing using the animals.

I think Im gonna hold off on booster for now (Im 6 months post 2nd shot as of yesterday). I am overweight though. Im just not convinced I need one yet. CDC doesnt seem convinced either.
I just hit seven months since my second dose. I'm 48, in great shape, no comorbidities, so probably won't officially qualify anytime soon ... and yet, in the past few days I've been wondering if I should just get the booster. There's no real risk (I had minimal side effects with my first two shots) and it's not like there is a shortage of doses right now, so why not?

I just hit seven months since my second dose. I'm 48, in great shape, no comorbidities, so probably won't officially qualify anytime soon ... and yet, in the past few days I've been wondering if I should just get the booster. There's no real risk (I had minimal side effects with my first two shots) and it's not like there is a shortage of doses right now, so why not?
Yeah, I'm in a similar place.  Late 40's, decent shape but a bit overweight.  No other risk factors.  Wasn't planning to do it anytime soon, but now thinking maybe I should go ahead. What's the downside, other than maybe feeling a little crappy the next day (since I did after dose #2)?

I’m 46 in pretty good shape.   Not overweight.  Run 4 times a week, etc.  I’m 100% getting another dose once eligible.  The stats from Israel seem pretty clear cut to me.

I haven't checked in on Dr. Campbell for a few weeks.  His youtube video from yesterday is very interesting.

Summary: Myocarditis and Pericarditis may be caused by failure to aspirate injections and injecting the vaccine into a vein rather than the muscle. 

https://youtu.be/nBaIRm4610o

I am curious as to what our medical guys think of this.
While possible, it’s very unlikely. Most people are not trained to aspirate before giving a shot. It’s such a small risk that it’s not worth considering. The only people I’ve found it really matters with are extremely muscular people, like bodybuilder size.

By "eligible", do you mean that at the point where they recommend it for the general population, or just when you hit six months since your second dose? If it's the latter, then obviously that would be a legit reason to wait. But if it's the former, is there any reason to wait until you're officially approved?

As an experiment, I just went on the websites for Publix, CVS and Walgreens and started the process of booking an appointment, in order to see what they required.

TLDR: I probably could have booked an appointment at any of the three by, at worst, telling a white lie or two about how I work in a high-risk environment. Maybe there's an additional layer of checking once you show up, but I tend to doubt it.

Did he also tell the Long Island pharmacy he was high-risk?  Seems like you're implying that, but it's not outright stated.
Under 50 with health conditions is a ‘clinical decision’. Pretty much you should talk to your doctor and weigh the benefit for the booster vs the risk of getting the shot. For me, if you’re wanting the booster, you’ve already decided the risk of the shot is minimal. Other pharmacies may interpret it more literally and require some sort of doctor note. If I thought people were abusing it, I might police it more but as of right now the only people coming in for boosters are 65+ or 50-64 with health conditions. It has been chaotic so far.

Anecdote:  

Colleague of mine lives in Long Island.  Mid 40's, dad of two little ones.  Went to a pharmacy in Long Island to get a booster, they told him no.

He went to a CVS in Manhattan, told them he was high-risk, they gave him booster no questions asked.  
If you are on team Moderna check around, some stores are giving Moderna boosters. There are shots just sitting in pharmacy freezers across the US. 

Just listened to my wife almost balling her eyes out about a 50yo who just passed away. He got covid from his son (23yo) who wasn’t Vaxed but still took a trip to an out of state wedding. 

but yeah, young healthy people don’t need to get vaxed  😢
Was the 50 yo vaccinated?

Yeah, I'm in a similar place.  Late 40's, decent shape but a bit overweight.  No other risk factors.  Wasn't planning to do it anytime soon, but now thinking maybe I should go ahead. What's the downside, other than maybe feeling a little crappy the next day (since I did after dose #2)?

I’m 46 in pretty good shape.   Not overweight.  Run 4 times a week, etc.  I’m 100% getting another dose once eligible.  The stats from Israel seem pretty clear cut to me.
How much do you bench and what's your 40 time?

Knock on wood our peak is on a downward trend, it was about as bad as winter numbers on paper, so I'm optimistic, for this winter

Getting my flu shot today. Gonna ask the pharmacist if I should get my booster (although definitely not getting them both on the same day).

Getting my flu shot today. Gonna ask the pharmacist if I should get my booster (although definitely not getting them both on the same day).

Got mine yesterday - I know they are two totally difference vaccines but it's still kind of funny how much different we react to the two.  Covid - arm wasn't sore but felt like crap.  Flu - arm hurts like a mother but feel fine.

Got mine yesterday - I know they are two totally difference vaccines but it's still kind of funny how much different we react to the two.  Covid - arm wasn't sore but felt like crap.  Flu - arm hurts like a mother but feel fine.
Yeah I rarely get a reaction from the flu shot. I think one time I got a very mild sore throat and aches for a day but went away quickly. The covid shots, I didnt get any reaction but I know a lot of people that did. Ill try and schedule the booster for a day when I know I can rest if necessary.

I am now the proud owner of 7.5 BinaxNow tests (we used one from one box on my wife -- negative).

The original Amazon delivery date was not until November, but six tests arrived today - -so they may be available on there.

I am now the proud owner of 7.5 BinaxNow tests (we used one from one box on my wife -- negative).

The original Amazon delivery date was not until November, but six tests arrived today - -so they may be available on there.
I bought a 2 pack at out local SamsClub on Monday. $14. Weird how demand varies by location. Live in an urban area and it is very easy to walk in to various testing locations and just get tested so maybe that is why no one was buying them.

I bought a 2 pack at out local SamsClub on Monday. $14. Weird how demand varies by location. Live in an urban area and it is very easy to walk in to various testing locations and just get tested so maybe that is why no one was buying them.
I couldn't find any within 25 miles of me last week.  Not sure how accurate they are, but they are very easy to use - takes a minute or two then just wait a few minutes to see the result.

I couldn't find any within 25 miles of me last week.  Not sure how accurate they are, but they are very easy to use - takes a minute or two then just wait a few minutes to see the result.
Interesting.  Our local drugstores are stocked.

FWIW, my youngest took two tests a few months ago and my oldest this week -- both were sick and we wanted a quick read.  Rapid tests came out negative and we just confirmed with PCR testing this week -- neither has had COVID.  They're pretty good I think.  Especially if you get multiple negatives.

Just for a data point, lots of the RNs and Docs are getting them both together at the hospital I work at.  We have the flu shots available for staff every year starting about this time through Nov or so and since Pfizer is the one we use in house that just got approved for medical staff boosters.  🤷‍♂️

I bought a 2 pack at out local SamsClub on Monday. $14. Weird how demand varies by location. 
They’ve gotten easy to find here in suburban New Orleans in recent weeks. Local drugstores have probably overstocked them in response to the August demand.

This article is clearly by someone that doesn't have an understanding of basic pharmacokinetics.

Potent protease inhibitors are what antiviral drugs have for retroviruses, particularly those against HIV. This is like comparing a new Ferrari to a bicycle just because they both have wheels.

This article is complete garbage.

And no, the "jab" won't be phased out. Prevention >>> treatment.
🤣 Told ya the pill was coming. merck is beating pfizer to the punch.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You will NEVER prevent this. Molnupiravir (Merckmectin) is about to be phased in as I told you all. Oh, look at that fauci is praising it AND is a protease inhibitor.

Guess you guys will be taking the 'horse paste' after all. 

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. You will NEVER prevent this. Molnupiravir (Merckmectin) is about to be phased in as I told you all. Oh, look at that fauci is praising it AND is a protease inhibitor.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but why the celebration lap? Isn't it great news that there is treatment to go along with vaccination? 

The pill is meant to be used IF you get covid. The vaccine is meant to be used to prevent covid. I don't understand the told ya so

Maybe I haven't been paying attention but why the celebration lap? Isn't it great news that there is treatment to go along with vaccination? 
He has no idea what he’s talking about. That drug has nothing to do with ivermectin, structurally or mechanistically. And even if it proves effective (still a big IF), vaccines will remain the optimal way to curb the virus.

Users who are viewing this thread