What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Newsflash: you're gonna catch covid at least once in your lifetime. Good luck avoiding it

This may be true, but I'd like to delay as long as possible in hopes they can figure out how to better treat long COVID.  It's pretty easy to reasonably protect yourself and still live your life.  

My point remains.  It is clearly NOT like getting a cold.  

Last edited by a moderator:
9 year old daughter started feeling crappy last night and didn't want to eat dinner.  Went to bed with a mild fever. 

Twin brother proceeded to vomit shortly thereafter.  OK, I'm thinking a stomach virus hit both of them. 

Daughter sends brother to get us at 1:00 AM. She feels terrible and thinks she's gonna vomit.  Refuses to drink the children's Tylenol due to stomach issues. Takes 45 minutes of crying, cajoling, negotiating to get some medication in her. 

She sleeps the rest of the night on the floor in our bedroom in case there's needs (thankfully, no).

In the AM she's got a higher fever (but not really bad) and feels terrible.  Covid rap8d test is positive.  Rest of the family is negative. 

Thankfully the Tylenol pill is tolerable for her and she's feeling better and is isolated in the guest room watching cartoons.

Son and I watched the end of the EPL season while wife took daughter for PCR verification. 

A real bummer reading these stories about kids, sorry to hear.  

It wasn't too long ago that kids couldn't get it.  Or healthy adults for that matter.  What happened to that rallying cry?

Son and I watched the end of the EPL season while wife took daughter for PCR verification. 
Sorry to hear, hopefully she gets well soon and rest of you can avoid it.

As to the bolded, really not necessary. She has symptoms consistent with it and positive test at home where there aren't many false positives (especially in the setting of symptoms). Just curious why you opted to get her tested.

This may be true, but I'd like to delay as long as possible in hopes they can figure out how to better treat long COVID.  It's pretty easy to reasonably protect yourself and still live your life.  

There is a separate category now though for those with some exposure, the virus is not a novel virus anymore given a vax, the duration of that protection isn't maybe forever but it's long enough.  Much of what the long covid stuff seems to indicate is a cykotine/inflammation storm gets in the systems most aligned with Gillian-Barre (spelling?).  

While not bulletproof, there's really not any thought that the body is going to mount that type of a response if vax.  While sort of reverse anecdotal, you hardly hear of anyone with long covid anymore, and the news seems to be tracking cases from 2020 still bothering people.  The research on long covid that I'm following for my friend's daughter falls into those.  I haven't seen a study yet on vax long covid, and it's realistic to think it's because there simply aren't enough to study. 

It seems fair to say that with a vax and/or exposure it really is a cold.  

Sorry to hear, hopefully she gets well soon and rest of you can avoid it.

As to the bolded, really not necessary. She has symptoms consistent with it and positive test at home where there aren't many false positives (especially in the setting of symptoms). Just curious why you opted to get her tested.
My wife is a public health professional and she strongly believes in good data collection. 

There is a separate category now though for those with some exposure, the virus is not a novel virus anymore given a vax, the duration of that protection isn't maybe forever but it's long enough.  Much of what the long covid stuff seems to indicate is a cykotine/inflammation storm gets in the systems most aligned with Gillian-Barre (spelling?).  

While not bulletproof, there's really not any thought that the body is going to mount that type of a response if vax.  While sort of reverse anecdotal, you hardly hear of anyone with long covid anymore, and the news seems to be tracking cases from 2020 still bothering people.  The research on long covid that I'm following for my friend's daughter falls into those.  I haven't seen a study yet on vax long covid, and it's realistic to think it's because there simply aren't enough to study. 

It seems fair to say that with a vax and/or exposure it really is a cold.  

I sure hope you are right.  I'm sure vaccines provide some protection against it these days, but it seems like exactly how much is far from known at this point.  I think I read somewhere that it's still happening at about a 10% rate, which is still high enough for me to still be careful.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/long-covid-vaccines.html

Anecdotally,  I know two people who have had Omicron and have long COVID.  One of them is a co-worker and her brain fog is so bad it has really affected her work and it's lingered since January.   

I sure hope you are right.  I'm sure vaccines provide some protection against it these days, but it seems like exactly how much is far from known at this point.  I think I read somewhere that it's still happening at about a 10% rate, which is still high enough for me to still be careful.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/long-covid-vaccines.html

Anecdotally,  I know two people who have had Omicron and have long COVID.  One of them is a co-worker and her brain fog is so bad it has really affected her work and it's lingered since January.   
And anecdotally almost everyone in my life I know has had covid (except me somehow, still don't know how that's possible) and not a single one has had long covid symptoms. 

100%. It is a shame that something as simple as masking became some political war. Especially in times of exponential increase in cases at least. Would have made a difference for millions of people. 

Its starting to be exposed.  You all took a deadly and useless jab.

With luck this insanity will be put to a stop. Too late for those who got jabbed, especially repeatedly.

https://twitter.com/joshg99/status/1528350080226496513

Subject # 12312982 in Pfizer study C4591001 is Augusto Roux, a 35-year old lawyer from Buenos Aires, Argentina who volunteered for Pfizer’s stage 3 trial of its COVID-19 vaccine (or whatever you want to call it) in order to protect his mother with emphysema.

His story and some of the shenanigans surrounding the Argentinian trial site have been amply covered by Dr. David Healy.

On the way home after his second dose on Sept. 9, 2020, he began feeling unwell, developed a high fever and felt terribly ill until he fainted on Sept. 11 and finally went to the hospital on Sept. 12 (not the one where the trial was being run). They did a thorough work-up, including a CAT scan of his chest that showed an abnormal collection of fluid around the outside of the heart. Basically he had pericarditis.......

9 year old daughter started feeling crappy last night and didn't want to eat dinner.  Went to bed with a mild fever. 

Twin brother proceeded to vomit shortly thereafter.  OK, I'm thinking a stomach virus hit both of them. 

Daughter sends brother to get us at 1:00 AM. She feels terrible and thinks she's gonna vomit.  Refuses to drink the children's Tylenol due to stomach issues. Takes 45 minutes of crying, cajoling, negotiating to get some medication in her. 

She sleeps the rest of the night on the floor in our bedroom in case there's needs (thankfully, no).

In the AM she's got a higher fever (but not really bad) and feels terrible.  Covid rap8d test is positive.  Rest of the family is negative. 

Thankfully the Tylenol pill is tolerable for her and she's feeling better and is isolated in the guest room watching cartoons.

Your child tested positive on an at home test. Why bring them out to the world an expose others just for a pcr test? And people say I'm the unsafe one. 

Are you working on a Sunday, or this actually how you celebrate it being "over" (for the nth time)?
I'm actually in my backyard listening to the Yankee game drinking a beer after dropping my son off at the park to play ball with his friends. Thanks for asking

Maybe in your elite group they didn't, but I know plenty who said as much.  If I cared enough, I could probably go back in the thread and find some.  

You honestly think NOBODY thought or said kids did not get covid early on?  Is that what you claim?
Yeah they shut down schools across the world because they thought no kids got covid. Grow up.

Traveled for work a couple weeks ago, saw about 5-10% mask usage on planes (Orange County ==> Denver ==> Pierre, SD).

Traveled for work late last week, and saw a noticeable rise in usage (maybe 50-60%?), going from OC ==> Denver ==> Fargo, ND.

Just thought I'd share my observations.

My wife is a public health professional and she strongly believes in good data collection. 
While I like data, too, I’m with @gianmarco: there’s no need for confirmatory testing when symptomatic with a positive antigen test. Spare the cost and discomfort associated with NAAT swabs, free up medical resources, and don’t risk spreading the virus in the process. 

I don’t know about your area, but some places keep track of rapid test results, if reported to public health agencies. In general though, they aren’t tracked as rigorously as NAATs. Considering all our case numbers are off five- or six-fold, it’s hard to get too invested in individual tests at this point, imo.

While I like data, too, I’m with @gianmarco: there’s no need for confirmatory testing when symptomatic with a positive antigen test. Spare the cost and discomfort associated with NAAT swabs, free up medical resources, and don’t risk spreading the virus in the process. 

I don’t know about your area, but some places keep track of rapid test results, if reported to public health agencies. In general though, they aren’t tracked as rigorously as NAATs. Considering all our case numbers are off five- or six-fold, it’s hard to get too invested in individual tests at this point, imo.
Good points. 

100%. It is a shame that something as simple as masking became some political war. Especially in times of exponential increase in cases at least. Would have made a difference for millions of people. 
Nobody is mandating masks anymore, let alone any sizable percentage wearing them. We can drop the mask arguments. 

Okay Ivan, you've successfully twisted my words into claiming I said "LOTS OF FOLKS" were "PROMOTING THE VIEW" that children were "IMMUNE from covid".

All I said was this: "It wasn't too long ago that kids couldn't get it. Or healthy adults for that matter."  

You know exactly what I meant, but you'd rather play semantics here? Really?? 

You:  "NOBODY SAID EITHER OF THOSE THINGS."

I disagree but whatever, I'm out.  What a weird fight to pick.  Congrats?

Wouldn't have to go back TOO far in this thread to find people speaking as if pediatric cases are a non issue.....

Definitely no further than initial discussion on rolling out Children's Vaccines. 

If one were so inclined. 

Wouldn't have to go back TOO far in this thread to find people speaking as if pediatric cases are a non issue.....

Definitely no further than initial discussion on rolling out Children's Vaccines. 

If one were so inclined. 

Non-issue <> couldn't get

Hth

Annnnnnnd do you think those people still think pediatric cases are a non-issue? 

Do you think any parents in this thread might disagree with them? 

I still think pediatric cases are a non-issue.

A kid getting a tummy ache one night is a non-issue

Yeah, I'm happy to just move on, but we do need to push back a bit on this kind of revisionism.  We knew pretty early in the pandemic that covid had a modest IFR (but higher than influenza), that it hit the elderly a lot harder than everybody else, and that young kids in particular were essentially immune.  If Bill Gates didn't know that at least 18 months ago, he just wasn't paying attention.
While technically not the same as saying “kids can’t get covid”, can you see why people might misconstrue posts like this to suggest infections in children are inconsequential?

Okay Ivan, you've successfully twisted my words into claiming I said "LOTS OF FOLKS" were "PROMOTING THE VIEW" that children were "IMMUNE from covid".

All I said was this: "It wasn't too long ago that kids couldn't get it. Or healthy adults for that matter."  

You know exactly what I meant, but you'd rather play semantics here? Really?? 

You:  "NOBODY SAID EITHER OF THOSE THINGS."

I disagree but whatever, I'm out.  What a weird fight to pick.  Congrats?
No silly, Ivan only said young kids were essentially immune. And that was over two weeks ago.

Annnnnnnd do you think those people still think pediatric cases are a non-issue? 

Not really a non-issue

There's been over 13,000,000 reported cases of Covid in children. Of those, up to 1.5% of those cases resulted in hospitalization. That's up to 130,000 kids admitted to a hospital to stay at least one night. 

Traveled for work a couple weeks ago, saw about 5-10% mask usage on planes (Orange County ==> Denver ==> Pierre, SD).

Traveled for work late last week, and saw a noticeable rise in usage (maybe 50-60%?), going from OC ==> Denver ==> Fargo, ND.

Just thought I'd share my observations.
I’ve seen a lot more city folk wearing masks in the last few days also.  Illinois is supposed to rise into the high level this week.  Not sure what this means with this variant, but I have to pay attention.

Just tested positive myself (twice). I have mild symptoms and now wfh the whole week. It’s more annoying than anything else, but thankful it’s all that it is. 

No silly, Ivan only said young kids were essentially immune. And that was over two weeks ago.
And that post was correct.  Young kids basically do not get severe covid.  You and I both know that that does not mean that they can't infected, and you and I both know that "this almost never happens" is not the same as "this literally never happens ever."  You're a doctor.  You know that just as well as I do.  

I was happy to let it go when it was just one ignorant poster parachuting into a thread to stir stuff up, but I don't know why you decided to join in.  You know better than this.

While technically not the same as saying “kids can’t get covid”, can you see why people might misconstrue posts like this to suggest infections in children are inconsequential?
Infections of children are mostly inconsequential.  Again, you are a doctor.  You know that perfectly well.

Every parent in this thread has described their kid's illness as being more or less like every other common illness kids pick up.  They're sick for a day or so and they're back in business.  

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but I raised two kids, and what parents have described in this thread is just a garden-variety childhood bug.  I can definitely remember times when one of our kids was up all night puking and then sat around and watched tv the next day like nothing happened.  It's the type of thing that happens multiple times with most kids -- it's like falling off their bike, only not as dangerous.

I interrupt yet another pointless pissing match to bring you some genuinely encouraging news:

Intranasal administration of a recombinant RBD vaccine induces long-term immunity against Omicron-included SARS-CoV-2 variants | Signal Transduction and Targeted Therapy
In plain English: we may be getting closer to intranasal vaccines, which would be easier to distribute/administer and also might do a better job of reducing infections, since they could stop the virus from colonizing the nasal passages.

Or, as I like to call it, the Vinnie Barbarino vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread