What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

My sophomore in HS is scheduled to leave for Spain with his HS band on March 21st. Some of their time is to be spent performing (and being a tourist) in Madrid.

I just read that schools in Madrid are now closed until march 26th to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Given that Spain seems to be following the same statistical trajectory as Italy has, I have to believe this trip will be over before it starts.

That said, we had a parent meeting about the trip over the weekend and the tour operator did a very nice job talking about the current situation/risks. He said that the trip is "almost certain to go on" unless the US State Department issues a level 4 travel warning for Spain (4 = do not travel; 3 = reconsider travel; 2 = Exercise increased caution).  Italy has been at a level 3 warning up until they closed their borders within the last day (so now a level 4 I think). That worries me that after all the alarms in Italy over the past number of days, they were only at a level 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sophomore in HS is scheduled to leave for Spain with his HS band on March 21st. Some of their time is to be spent performing (and being a tourist) in Madrid.

I just read that schools in Madrid are now closed until march 26th to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Given that Spain seems to be following the same statistical trajectory as Italy has, I have to believe this trip will be over before it starts.

That said, we had a parent meeting about the trip over the weekend and the tour operator did a very nice job talking about the current situation/risks. He said that the trip is "almost certain to go on" unless the US State Department issues a level 4 travel warning for Spain (4 = do not travel; 3 - reconsider travel; 2 - Exercise increased caution).  Italy has been at a level 3 warning up until they closed their borders within the last day (so now a level 4 I think). That worries me that after all the alarms in Italy over the past number of days, they were only at a level 3.
quite possible flights will start cancelling by that time

That said, we had a parent meeting about the trip over the weekend and the tour operator did a very nice job talking about the current situation/risks. He said that the trip is "almost certain to go on" unless the US State Department issues a level 4 travel warning for Spain (4 = do not travel; 3 - reconsider travel; 2 - Exercise increased caution).  Italy has been at a level 3 warning up until they closed their borders within the last day (so now a level 4 I think). That worries me that after all the alarms in Italy over the past number of days, they were only at a level 3.
He's not going. They aren't going....or .....whoever is leading that parade is simply insane.

Question for the "experts" :P   :)

Let's say teh US "shutdown for 2 weeks"  - Starting tomorrow EVERYONE had to stay home for 2 weeks.

Would the virus be gone?

I'm not asking about reality of how this could be accomplished, all the idiot would still leave there house etc...

Just in general - IF that would happen - would this be over?
Not an expert but we really need to take significant steps two slow the spread of the virus.  Not sure 2 weeks shutdown is the right answer but if we don't we end up with Wuhan and Northern Italy type situation where hospitals are completely overwhelmed and patient results deteriorate.  

My son's long-term girlfriend is a senior now. She left campus last weekend for Spring Break, is coming back for a job interview on Friday that she's super-excited about and then was going to have a couple of months of fun with friends leading up to graduation. The way things are going, if they switch to online classes before Break ends this weekend, she might literally never attend another college event.

Not the end of the world, but still a big disappointment. Will be interesting to see how this all impacts this group's generational psyche 
I know you're a Trinity guy...my daughter's lax team is supposed to fly out here from CA to play Wesleyan,Trinity and NJTC next week, trip has not been cancelled yet but no doubt its coming. She just texted me that Middlebury also cancelled their spring sports, though I can't find that online. Regardless, looks like its trending towards a lost season for all of the NESCAC.

ATL

#BREAKING: A Waffle House associate at the location on Marietta Hwy in #Canton tested positive for COVID-19. No other associates have shown symptoms. This is a developing story, stay with CBS46 for updates.

I know you're a Trinity guy...my daughter's lax team is supposed to fly out here from CA to play Wesleyan,Trinity and NJTC next week, trip has not been cancelled yet but no doubt its coming. She just texted me that Middlebury also cancelled their spring sports, though I can't find that online. Regardless, looks like its trending towards a lost season for all of the NESCAC.
That stinks - but no way is that trip happening. Hope she's doing well out there in CA

Was there any push back from parents?  I mean, for the tour operator this is a business decision not their kids.  I'm not saying they don't care, but, it is a different perspective.  My son has a trip during his spring break to Texas.  That has me worried.

Is this the area that has a large Orthodox community?
My wife has a friend that lives there, and the answer is yes.

Theyre both in public health and had just been discussing at Christmas time how difficult it was to live in that area having to navigate school groups, community events, etc and personally believing in science/evidence while living/being amongst those with firm religious beliefs and lots of money/influence going toward non evidence based/integrative beliefs.

UPDATE:

Still planning on going to NYC next week with family.  If Broadway closes will cancel, full stop.

Back at work, several co-workers out with flu like symptoms.  Not sure what my body count will be.  

Feel 100% better today, actually thought about writing an "So now I'm dead" email to wife last night to explain how to deal with bills and banking accounts.  And to delete my browser history.  

Was there any push back from parents?  I mean, for the tour operator this is a business decision not their kids.  I'm not saying they don't care, but, it is a different perspective.  My son has a trip during his spring break to Texas.  That has me worried.
There was no visible pushback from parents, no. If I'm being honest, at the time, I was on board with the trip. The #s in Spain hadn't yet rung the bell for me, though they suddenly are just a couple days later.

Walmart new Leave policy for the virus

There are three major scenarios Walmart outlines for the new emergency leave policy to apply. 

The first allows employees to stay home if he or she is unable to work or feels “uncomfortable” at work, by waiving its attendance policy through the end of April. While the normal attendance policy will not be enforced in this circumstance, in order to have the leave paid, associates must use their regular paid time off options.

Second, if a store, club, office or distribution center fall under a mandated quarantine by either the government or Walmart, or if an individual employee has been told they need be quarantined, these employees will receive up to two weeks of pay and associated absences will not count against attendance.

Third, if an individual associate becomes ill with a confirmed case of the coronavirus, the associate will receive two weeks pay. If the associate is unable to return to work after those two weeks, additional pay replacement may be available for up to 26 weeks for both full- and part-time hourly associates.

That said, we had a parent meeting about the trip over the weekend and the tour operator did a very nice job talking about the current situation/risks. He said that the trip is "almost certain to go on" unless the US State Department issues a level 4 travel warning for Spain (4 = do not travel; 3 = reconsider travel; 2 = Exercise increased caution).  Italy has been at a level 3 warning up until they closed their borders within the last day (so now a level 4 I think). That worries me that after all the alarms in Italy over the past number of days, they were only at a level 3.
Everyone has to make their own decisions as a parent, but if it were me I'm pulling my kid out of that trip regardless if it's still a go. They may be pissed at me but it's my job to keep them safe.

Just wait until they cancel commencement.  We discontinued our December commencement ten years ago as a cost-cutting move, and people still complain bitterly about it to this day.  Cancelling spring commencement is going to send graduating seniors and their parents through the roof.
I happily skipped mine, I think I was car shopping for my first car that day.

Does everyone overreact to everything in today’s society. This thing is perpetuating mass hysteria and chaos. Then it just compounds and compounds until there’s no going back. What a crazed world we live in now. 

Does everyone overreact to everything in today’s society. This thing is perpetuating mass hysteria and chaos. Then it just compounds and compounds until there’s no going back. What a crazed world we live in now. 
Just curious, do you see what's going on in Italy as hysteria also?  

This isn't a media hoax or an overreaction by CNN

Could grocery stores and restaurants, etc make it mandatory to have to sanitize your hands before entering? Like literally have a bouncer at the door with a purell bottle?

France - reports 372 new cases and 3 deaths. Total 1784 - 33 deaths

Still on the Italy curve - Italy March 1 - 1701 - 41 deaths

:oldunsure:

I did not think HIV and AIDS were the same thing?

HIV is the virus, that, if left untreated, can lead to the disease AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
All you write is correct. I was just saying that for the first few years, "AIDS" was the laymen's term for the virus, the disease, the symptoms -- all of it.

As time went on, people generally learned what HIV meant. Still, organizations and events that were founded in the early day are still called "AIDS Task Force" or "AIDS Walk" -- never "HIV Walk", for example.

Just curious...

A lot of you are REAL fired up about this (not saying it's not for a good reason) and have a lot of data and information on all of this.

What do you all do for a living?  Are you in healthcare?  Actuaries?  Government?

I know Terminalxylem is in healthcare... but what about the rest of you? 

Kudos for being so up on everything, just wondering how you're gleaning and commenting with such fervor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious...

A lot of you are REAL fired up about this (not saying it's not for a good reason) and have a lot of data and information on all of this.

What do you all do for a living?  Are you in healthcare?  Actuaries?  Government?

Kudos for being so up on everything, just wondering how you're gleaning and commenting with such fervor.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :hifive:

Just curious...

forums.CDCGuys.com

Free For All subforum

YWIA

(p.s. stay away from the PSF - total cesspool)

Just curious...

People working from home + The internet

Not the end of the world, but still a big disappointment. Will be interesting to see how this all impacts this group's generational psyche 
Interesting thought. First thought is that it would tend to make for a pretty libertine generation -- the 2020s would look a lot like the 1920s.

Just curious...

As an aside, this post seems to imply only those in healthcare,  actuaries, and or the  government can process the vast amount of public information that is widely available. 

Seems weird and agenda driven. But what do I know? I am not an actuary. 

So how long of a shut down would be needed?
For the sake of a conversation point ... I'd estimate 6 to 8 weeks. Ideally, it would be a worldwide shutdown with a compliance rate north of 98%.

A two-month shutdown of the U.S. would help within the U.S. borders temporarily ... but then we'd have to remain super-vigilant and strict regarding visitors from overseas, returning Americans from overseas, etc.

I happily skipped mine, I think I was car shopping for my first car that day.
I would have skipped my undergrad commencement if my parents hadn't insisted.  I did skip both graduate commencements.  I think commencements are stupid.

However, you and I are wired differently from most people.  Commencement is serious business.

The tour operator is either delusional or just that desperate for business.  Level 4 is countries like North Korea, Sudan, and Central African Republic.  Universities have pretty much all cancelled travel to Level 3 countries -- which includes Italy and South Korea.  The school district is going to pull the plug at some point.

This was a fresh take maybe two weeks ago. Yes, in fact, people do tend to put up their arms and cover their faces during an imminent car wreck. No one thinks to themselves in the split second before impact "Cool, I'm still 6 feet away from going through the windshield -- nothing to stress about!"

This is a similar reaction slowed down and writ large.

Interesting thought. First thought is that it would tend to make for a pretty libertine generation -- the 2020s would look a lot like the 1920s.
Interesting - I immediately skewed the other way. Generation Z is thought to be risk averse - very low drug and intercourse rates - but also prone to depression and anxiety. Some experts see it as the result of being brought up on social media - they can have rich and active social lives without ever leaving their bedroom so they take fewer risks, but they're also anxious because of always being judged (and publicly talked about) online. 

So I thought this episode might reinforce the whole mindset that you should be cautious and just live your life virtually without ever exposing yourself to threat. I also think this generation that - if it hasn't already happened - will implement a much more socially democratic society. They already seem to be very concerned about fairness and equal treatment for everyone. The reality that many Americans might die from this simply because they're poor and/or lack health insurance is just a fact of life to older people, but is the kind of thing that might stay with today's kids for a long time and inspire them to change the system.

Just some thoughts

I honestly cant believe any parents would allow this to happen. Every international school trip Ive heard about has been cancelled regardless of where its going.

Users who are viewing this thread