What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

Thanks for the post and not disregarding my posts as shtick like some people. We have a long way to fo before we get to those swine flu numbers. I doubt we even get close. 
Did you even read my post? Swine flu was child's play compared to COVID. 0.4% vs 15-20% hospitalization rate. 

Sadly, we will Most likely pass the hospitalization numbers by June.... unfortunately likely the fatalities. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you even read my post? Swine flu was child's play compared to COVID. 0.4% vs 15-20% hospitalization rate. 

Sadly, we will Most likely pass the hospitalization numbers by June.... unfortunately likely the fatalities. 
Yes I read your post. I appreciate the response also. 

I doubt we even sniff those numbers. Action will be and is taking place. Our health system has backup plans in place. We will prevail. 

Yes I read your post. I appreciate the response also. 

I doubt we even sniff those numbers. Action will be and is taking place. Our health system has backup plans in place. We will prevail. 
I hope you're right. I don't think you are, but I hope you are. 

Out of curiosity, what backup plans do you think we have in place? 

I hope you're right. I don't think you are, but I hope you are. 

Out of curiosity, what backup plans do you think we have in place? 
A hospital here in Staten Island plans on building medical tents outside the hospital. Hospitals can also limit the # of non emergency hospitalizations (ie some surgeries and such). This is a huge country with a lot of land mass. This isn't italy. 

I agree with you that we need to keep politics out of this thread so that the thread doesn't become worthless.

But at some point in the future when history books are written about Covid-19, the miserable failures of our elected government officials to properly prepare for and manage this pandemic and the resulting effects of their inaction, will be one of the largest stories about it.
Wow, doubling down on the crazy eh?

Here’s a good read for you. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

And by chicken littles, I'm really only talking about one person now, who clearly has an agenda. Icon has been fair and doesn't think everything is shtick when people disagree. And Ham's nervousness is completely warranted IMO.

You don’t get a medal for not worrying.  If everyone had your attitude, the country would be on its knees in 3 weeks.  
I get paid not to worry and treat people like you who come into the ER.  I don't work for medals, put please continue with your little jabs,  you're a joke.  

We had a meeting today on this today and our Commander was scoffing at the virus and reminding us to wash our hands and not touch our faces. someone has sneezed at the start of her conversation and when she finished taking she rubbed her eye. It’s a lot harder to stop touching your face than you think. 

no big deal, except she is one of those in charge of putting out the response guidelines for all of the Coast Guard. 

Archdiocese in San Francisco just shut down all of their schools in SF and Marin for the next two weeks, beginning Thursday (Friday was already a day off, Thursday they are using to train staff on teaching remotely).  I work from home already, and I just updated my Xfinity high speed internet as it looks like my daughter and I will both be spending a lot of time on Zoom calls for the foreseeable future.
We should grab a beer and discuss this at a local watering hole.

We had a meeting today on this today and our Commander was scoffing at the virus and reminding us to wash our hands and not touch our faces. someone has sneezed at the start of her conversation and when she finished taking she rubbed her eye. It’s a lot harder to stop touching your face than you think. 

no big deal, except she is one of those in charge of putting out the response guidelines for all of the Coast Guard. 
As someone who boats 100 miles offshore, i appreciate your service.

I know, unrelated to this thread. I just make it my point to thank the coast guard for their service.

As someone who boats 100 miles offshore, i appreciate your service.

I know, unrelated to this thread. I just make it my point to thank the coast guard.
Appreciate your support. We are taking this very seriously but not for fear of death but for how quickly it can be spread. One crewman sick can take down a whole cutter which puts mariner rescue, migrant interdiction and drug busts at risk

I think I was responding to someone who said the primary was Massachusetts. I apologize, I’m not a political guy. That person also apologized for getting his abbreviations confused.

I don’t think this is a big deal but if my mistake upset you somehow, feel free to put me on ignore.  
It was me. Brain fog can do stuff like that at times.

Here is some anecdotal stuff, so take it how you want.  

Like I have said before, I manage a restaurant/fast food place.  Growing Midwest+ company, and our store is one of the top 10 busiest and we see all types of traffic coming from Minnesota, Illinois, and all sorts of buses coming through.   I have kept to myself mostly about this, but we were slow today, so I poked around on this topic with the employees on hand (unfortunately), and the responses were:

1.  it's basically a myth and I don't really believe it's a big deal. 

2.  Don't talk about it, it gives it energy to grow and spread (very into energy healing and the like)

3.  I don't care if I get it - I am fine chilling at home for 2-3 weeks. 

4.  My dad says the flu kills more people

5.  It's overblown - there is only a couple cases in WI anyway.  all of the bad cases are in NY and California. 

6.  GM who was sort of poo-pooing it a week ago when I talked to him about it, is watching/reading about it and is coming around a bit about how this could effect the area and the business.  

7.  And you have me who is not so much worried about contracting and dying from this, but think with all the cancellations and closings this could get real in a week or two.  Started to slowly build up a couple things we would use anyway - extra soup, pasta, etc.. in case people are told to stay mostly at home for a bit.  

IMO this is a microcosm of what we are seeing in the country as a whole, and why I am a little worried why efforts to contain this might not be successful (only some schools closing, some huge events cancelling, etc.. ).   My 63 year old father lives with us in the basement, smokes, has early emphysema, and has had some of his lung removed.  I guarantee there is 0% chance he would comply with any sort of home quarantine.  

We needed stuff anyway, so hit the local Woodman's today.  Of course no sanitizer, but there was still everything else.  You could tell the good water, good TP, asprin, soup, pasta, and a few other shelves were starting to get hit hard though.  

I know we are to keep politics out of this, but it's not going unnoticed by me that the people on one side of the aisle based on my trips to the PSF are now seeping in here and seem to have a pretty similar opinion.   Seems like even your opinions on this might be tied a bit to what side of the aisle you sit on.   Sad, really.  

There's not a single person I know IRL worried about this. Only some chicken littles on an internet board. 
I know one 20 year old kid who is 2 hours from home in a college apartment who is totally freaked out. We had to beg him NOT to come home and instead try to get tested on campus.

But whatever.

Got my "out" today from the airlines.  Decided to cancel both my Vegas trip and my cruise.  2 weeks from now and I'm guessing airlines will pretty much be shutting down anyways.  

The truth hurts.  I talked with some real nurses today and none of them are concerned.   None.  They see this as just another wave of cold crap like all the other stuff that has rolled through the past 20 years or so.  But hey what do they know.  They have only been medical professionals the past 30 plus years.  Better off listening to the news or a sports website right?
How does this mesh with Italy?  Seems like it is a bigger deal than a cold. 

My wife and I are supposed to be headed to Taiwan on the 20th, transiting through Narita. We’ve still been planning to go ahead since we are visiting a friend who has been on sabbatical there and won’t be there for much longer.

So my wife gets an email this morning from work – she is a pharmacy tech in a small hospital - saying that we will most likely be asked to self-quarantine upon our return. We live in upper East Tennessee. Our state currently has at most, a handful of cases in Nashville, which is about a 5 hour drive. She works at night and has no contact with patients, but being the healthcare industry, I understand.

Then an hour later, I got an email from Delta saying that we will need health certificates for our transfer through Seoul on the way back home. I’m not exactly sure how I’m supposed to go about getting one while in Taiwan and I assume that something from here would be laughed at for being two weeks old and three countries ago.

I guess at this point, the next move is to see if I can change my itinerary to get direct flights from the US to Taipei. Currently, Taiwan only has 47 confirmed cases, which is amazing considering that they are only 80 miles from China and have 23 million people, giving them by far the lowest rate of infection for any country with a significant outbreak.

We’re still planning on trying to see this through, but it seems like the hand writing may be on the wall.

I know we are to keep politics out of this, but it's not going unnoticed by me that the people on one side of the aisle based on my trips to the PSF are now seeping in here and seem to have a pretty similar opinion.   Seems like even your opinions on this might be tied a bit to what side of the aisle you sit on.   Sad, really.  
Yeah seems like the PSF has crossed over.  

Again not sure why death rate is the reason. It seems hospitalization rate or magnitude should be greater factors. 
I don't understand why we're still talking rates (still don't know the true denominator) but why exactly would hospitalization rate trump death rate?

Warriors playing to a crowd tonight. SF has been voluntary in shutting down large events. The Warriors say they are monitoring CDC recommendations. Is the CDC recommending this?

You're right. I read it quickly. 

My point is far more people were infected worldwide yet hospital systems didn't collapse and worldwide panic didn't ensue. The death rate wasn't even my point. 
Well, keep moving the goalposts but you are still very very wrong.  Are you trying to mislead or are you incapable of reading simple stats?  Because either way your ignorance is starting to annoy me.  

Am going to respond ONLY so that others aren't misled by your ignorance.

Swine flu infected 61 million Americans, kille 13k and hospitalized 274k thousand of them.  That's a mortality rate of .02% and a hospitalization rate of .4% 

Compare that with Covid 19 which appears to be similarly contagious, but likely 50x more deadly and 30x more likely to require hospitalization.

Now, BEFORE posting again please check your facts, figures and math or I will report you for peddling in disinformation.  

How does this mesh with Italy?  Seems like it is a bigger deal than a cold. 
I think it's interesting that Italy is hard hit because I believe they have an older population than average (no numbers, just would be my guess) and I know that they are a "smaller personal space" culture. Lots of closeness, hugs, etc. I wonder if that has any effect at all?

When the flu has a death rate around 2 percent (happened in 1918 with Spanish flu). 
How do we get an accurate read on death rate in this situation? If true that 81% only have mild symptoms think of the tons of people carrying this that don’t even know about it? How do you predict the true number that have it to get an accurate death rate in a situation like this?

I think it's interesting that Italy is hard hit because I believe they have an older population than average (no numbers, just would be my guess) and I know that they are a "smaller personal space" culture. Lots of closeness, hugs, etc. I wonder if that has any effect at all?
2nd oldest nation in the world

This was actually linked yesterday. So, 40 pages ago?  But yes, you are correct. An older nation with an average age of 81 for the fatalities.

So 0.8% death rate = no need to cancel sporting events but 2% death rate = OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING

what is the magic death rate to cancel sporting events?

How do we get an accurate read on death rate in this situation? If true that 81% only have mild symptoms think of the tons of people carrying this that don’t even know about it? How do you predict the true number that have it to get an accurate death rate in a situation like this?
Can we PLEASE get to the point where everyone understands "Mild" classification everyone keeps quoting included different up to severe pneumonia? :lol:  

Jesus this thread needs an FAQ 

So 0.8% death rate = no need to cancel sporting events but 2% death rate = OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING

what is the magic death rate to cancel sporting events?
Link to your sources for these death rates please 

I thought we had agreed hospitalization was the more relevant stat? Or did you change your mind again since COVID is so much more dangerous with that metric? 

Warriors playing to a crowd tonight. SF has been voluntary in shutting down large events. The Warriors say they are monitoring CDC recommendations. Is the CDC recommending this?
At least there are some empty seats, I guess that’s a positive 

Do you realize that mild cases many times include pneumonia. 

Can we PLEASE get to the point where everyone understands "Mild" classification everyone keeps quoting included different up to severe pneumonia? :lol:  

Jesus this thread needs an FAQ 
81% is a big number, you have trouble seeing how many people have to work and live life through colds on a normal basis and would have spread this significantly? Maybe you aren’t understanding? Sorry if it didn’t fit the fear agenda, if you have an answer for how you quantify total cases in a scenario like this please show your work. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

Users who are viewing this thread