Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

WTF?!

Chinese authorities maintain that COVID-19 likely originated at a market in Wuhan where people were selling bat meat. But Iranian Russian, and Chinese propaganda media outlets would like you to believe, without evidence, that the emerging public health crisis comes from U.S.biological weapons. 

Disinformation about the coronavirus is spreading as quickly as the outbreak, fueled by Iranian, Russian, and Chinese government-backed campaigns blaming and attacking the United States as the source for the scourge. 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 52.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

1 minute ago, Big League Chew said:

WTF?!

Chinese authorities maintain that COVID-19 likely originated at a market in Wuhan where people were selling bat meat. But Iranian Russian, and Chinese propaganda media outlets would like you to believe, without evidence, that the emerging public health crisis comes from U.S.biological weapons. 

Disinformation about the coronavirus is spreading as quickly as the outbreak, fueled by Iranian, Russian, and Chinese government-backed campaigns blaming and attacking the United States as the source for the scourge. 

And we have negative credibility right now

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

Watching the Houston local news about the rodeo. Apparently high school seniors auction their cattle off to afford college. The rodeo said they’ll still honor the promised tuitions $15 mil

Maybe the Astros could donate the money that they got from cheating in the World Series.   Would be a great PR move.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1
52 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

This is a pretty sobering graph

It is really hard to imagine, but on the other hand...

I thought all the countries are showing the same curve...or is that the joke? Is it a joke? Like haha laughing on the inside kind of clowns? ... because we don't have old people? Just trying to keep up amidst all the childish bickering.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, The General said:

Guy may have needed the paycheck, no health insurance, no money, etc.

Very possible.  Or could be an idiot like I work with that think it's no big deal or a hoax.  

One person on my mom's FB post says we shouldn't bother doing anything and weed out the weak minded and unhealthy.  

• Like 1

I think folks living check to check should qualify for unemployment during these shutdowns. Homelessness is bound to get worse in this area with a huge problem as is. I feel bad for them and the kids who won't get their 1 meal a day they count on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Very possible.  Or could be an idiot like I work with that think it's no big deal or a hoax.  

One person on my mom's FB post says we shouldn't bother doing anything and weed out the weak minded and unhealthy.  

I've bumped into this attitude also.  I think you have to give people the benefit of normalcy bias, it's a strong and unwavering response to stress.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

I think folks living check to check should qualify for unemployment during these shutdowns. Homelessness is bound to get worse in this area with a huge problem as is. I feel bad for them and the kids who won't get their 1 meal a day they count on.

I’m guessing this will be addressed at some level tonight by the Prez.

ACC just banned fans for the remainder of tourney

Statement from the Atlantic Coast Conference (Wednesday, March 11):

In light of the rapidly changing landscape regarding COVID-19, the latest developments nationally from health authorities and today’s announcement by the NCAA COVID-19 Advisory Panel, the ACC will alter the remainder of the ACC Tournament.

After consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors, it was determined that beginning Thursday, March 12, all games will be played with only essential tournament personnel, limited school administrators and student-athlete guests, broadcast television and credentialed media members present.

Edited by Sinn Fein
On 3/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, Sinn Fein said:

You could not pay me to go to a conference basketball tourney (or NCAA) right now.

Too many people traveling from too many places.

:hifive:

Amazing the difference 1-day makes...

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I've bumped into this attitude also.  I think you have to give people the benefit of normalcy bias, it's a strong and unwavering response to stress.  

I was just surprised by how angry a couple people were about our cleaning protocol this am.  Pretty sure they aren't stressed, they are just ignorant and flat out think everything going on is an overreaction to a mild disease.  

20 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I thought all the countries are showing the same curve...or is that the joke? Is it a joke? Like haha laughing on the inside kind of clowns? ... because we don't have old people? Just trying to keep up amidst all the childish bickering.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

This is the sobering article you're looking for

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worrisome that 1 in 10 #COVID19 cases in Italy are “in terapia intensiva” in the ICU. And that is overall in Italy (North worse than S), not just in Lombardy, where it is likely even higher. Previously it was estimated 1 in 20 (5%) are critical needing ICU. 10% is much worse. 

Eric Feigl-Ding

@DrEricDing

4 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I sent that article to my parents today to try to convince them to cancel my grandmom’s birthday party Saturday and to skip the Flyers game on Sunday. 

It’s a good article, hopefully they’ll read it.

11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

SEC issued a statement that they would evaluate fans' attendance at future sessions.  (Kentucky does not play until Friday, so they have to time to stop the pilgrimage).

Why hesitate? Makes no sense.

47 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

WTF?!

Could get significantly worse if these two countries bicker with each other over this. 

Just now, Doug B said:

Why hesitate? Makes no sense.

They already had a couple of games tonight, and SEC was probably waiting to see how other conferences dealt with it, before they cancelled their own money-maker.

With the ACC following the NCAA in disallowing fans, SEC will almost certainly follow with sessions starting tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Scoresman said:

So if you were on a flight right now, would you use the fan or not?  Being told from airlines that they use HEPA filters.  Trying to decide if using/not using the fan is best. 

Actually planes have some of the best HEPA systems in the world. And frankly, just being on the plane, you already got it if it’s there. Might as well be comfortable in your misery.

6 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

I was actually wondering yesterday how hard it would be to get a couple UV emitters, and how much it would cost. Would be a great side gig to disinfect peoples' homes for the next few to several months. Could probably get $5k per room out of @Otis.

Knock yourself out Shooter https://www.jondon.com/titan-hydroxyl-generator-air-purification-and-deodorization-4000.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpdyxyNeT6AIVFYzICh37HQ32EAYYASABEgJELvD_BwE

OKC broadcast saying that because there were illnesses with players prior to the game, Rudy Gobert among them, waiting for league approval to proceed. Players apparently conferred on this before the game.

48 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

WTF?!

Don't get me started on the Harvard Bio-Chemist who was arrested earlier this year for conspiring with the Chinese... :tinfoilhat:

23 minutes ago, The General said:

I’m guessing this will be addressed at some level tonight by the Prez.

Hope so but I think this may be a state thing.

They just said McDonald's and Walmart offer compensation for a couple weeks of quarantine. 

1 minute ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Worrisome that 1 in 10 #COVID19 cases in Italy are “in terapia intensiva” in the ICU. And that is overall in Italy (North worse than S), not just in Lombardy, where it is likely even higher. Previously it was estimated 1 in 20 (5%) are critical needing ICU. 10% is much worse. 

Eric Feigl-Ding

@DrEricDing

We have approximately 300,000 free hospital beds in the US.

If 5 to 10 percent of cases require ICU (5 percent on average, 10 percent in Italy) then when we get to 6 million infected, we will certainly be out of hospital beds.  

Right now we have thousands od reported infections.  But following this https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca we most likely have way, way more, and even if we all lock ourselves in our homes indefinitely the reported numbers will continue to rise dramatically day by day. 

And both the number of cases, and number of available beds, are distributed unevenly across the US. 

Statistically it's a near certainty that we already have people who will die preventable deaths because there wasn't an available hospital bed to treat them.  

At a 10% hospitalization rate, all hospital beds in the U.S. will be filled by about May 10. And with many patients requiring weeks of care, turnover will slow to a crawl as beds fill with Covid-19 patients.

If I’m wrong by a factor of two regarding the fraction of severe cases, that only changes the timeline of bed saturation by six days (one doubling time) in either direction. If 20% of cases require hospitalization, we run out of beds by about May 4. If only 5% of cases require it, we can make it until about May 16, and a 2.5% rate gets us to May 22.

Unless something changes with regards to US Policy, I don't see us staying under that dotted line.

#Breaking: Oklahoma City Police are closing the Chesapeake Energy Arena after tonight's Oklahoma City Thunder game stops abruptly. We are working to learn details as to why.

@NewsOn6

• Thinking 1
2 hours ago, The Tahitian Facemask said:

What’s everybody doing with their spring break plans? Travel out of the country a “hard no” at this point? Depends on the destination and your risk tolerance for a quarantine?

Cancelling our Vegas trip that was starting on the 24th. Hoping Expedia works with us a little as some of the package can be cancelled, but we may have to eat the flight. 

1 minute ago, Penguin said:

#Breaking: Oklahoma City Police are closing the Chesapeake Energy Arena after tonight's Oklahoma City Thunder game stops abruptly. We are working to learn details as to why.

@NewsOn6

The game is stopping abruptly?

27 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

That's more a crying on the inside kind of clown imo.

People in the thread earlier were comparing the various countries as being pretty similar, just at different points in the curve (before the PF bs spillover). But yeah- at a glance that bell curve is looking pretty consistent.

1 minute ago, belljr said:

The game is stopping abruptly?

This is what I read earlier...

Thunder broadcast team is saying that due to Rudy Gobert's illness, the officials have put the game in a delay. They are now waiting for confirmation from the NBA if they should play the game or not.

"Per FOX Sports Radio- OKC Thunder/Utah Jazz players walk out of arena before the game begins. Illnesses before the game caused a delay. They’re waiting on the @NBA to issue further instruction."

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

remind me what this about, a lot of news these days

He was ranting that Coronavirus is all bs etc and proceeded to touch everything he possibly could on the way out the other night