What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

If you were taking a relatively nearby trip Saturday and had the choice of a 1 hour flight vs. 7 hours of driving, which would you choose in this case?  Not going isn't an option considering where we're going does not even have a reported case yet and we'd be better off there than here.  
i can't answer this without a family airplane seating chart.

Btw, I still find it amazing how quickly this was discovered in China. The doctor (Li Wenliang) that recognized the illness with just a handful of patients (if that's indeed how it went down), deserves some amazing credit and praise. So unfortunate he lost his life to the virus.

Who knows how many other lives he saved by the early recognition.

Guessing people are hoarding TP because that’s the normal panic thing to do

and or

they are worried about cargo ships being held and unable to unload the toilet paper so there may be a shortage 
We make a lot of toilet paper in this country. Import very little.

Btw, I still find it amazing how quickly this was discovered in China. The doctor (Li Wenliang) that recognized the illness with just a handful of patients (if that's indeed how it went down), deserves some amazing credit and praise. So unfortunate he lost his life to the virus.

And how many were cost because the Chinese government (and now the US government) tried to downplay it?

There's so many low-income people that are going to be impacted - tons of self-employed and service organizations that will be hurt.  There will be people that get sick, some will die from this and there will also be people that go bankrupt either from medical bills or lack of income.
my first thought when they suspended all the sports/no fans in the arenas, was for all of the employees of the arenas.  that's a ton of very important, lost revenue. 

Was told by our 3rd grade teacher that NYC would shut schools down on case by case basis...not citywide. 

Unofficial, of course.

My office has their head in the sand. We have projects, vendors  and clients all over the world...with staff that makes the trips repeatedly. One client from Milan was just here for meetings on Monday and Tuesday. Aside from an email about what do with the flu, there's been nothing. No plan. No recognition this isn't the normal flu...nothing.

Somebody's going to get it here, and soon...or the 40story building will shut down over concerns. I hate that we'll be reacting instead of proactively set up for a response.
If only they had a COO.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.

Guessing people are hoarding TP because that’s the normal panic thing to do

and or

they are worried about cargo ships being held and unable to unload the toilet paper so there may be a shortage 
TP is made, amazingly, in the U.S.

If you were taking a relatively nearby trip Saturday and had the choice of a 1 hour flight vs. 7 hours of driving, which would you choose in this case?  Not going isn't an option considering where we're going does not even have a reported case yet and we'd be better off there than here.  

Seriously?   The virus is everywhere.   There haven't been reported cases because of failures in testing.  I wouldn't base your travel decisions on that factor.  Also, sitting in a plane is not a great idea.  

Jazz star Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the coronavirus, league sources tell ESPN. Jazz players privately say that Rudy Gobert had been careless in the locker room touching other players and their belongings. Now a Jazz teammate has tested positive.
I think the Jazz will be throwing a blanket party for Rudy.

Just got the official WFH email. Mandatory WFH for all employees tomorrow as a "test" with an optional WFH next week that could become mandatory depending on how things go. 

My other tech job friends are getting very similar messages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally get the need to close schools. So not arguing with it.

But it REALLY creates a lot of child care problems. Not sure how those are going to be resolved.
I work for a small company, and we're pretty well spread out in our own offices, so its easy for us to maintain distance and not interact. The issue we're talking about is driven by parents' need to stay home when their schools and daycares close.  Our fearless leader is focused on productivity, trust, etc. associated with WFH.  I've told him - people with kids are going to need to stay home. We can either prepare for it now or deal with it next week when it happens.  Its not a question of what our policy is or whether we "allow" it.

People taking this seriously are rightly focused on the infection, hospitalization and mortality rates.  However, what we already know is going to happen, with 100% certainty, is that people are going to miss paychecks and many businesses are going to be crushed by quarantines due to lost business and missing workers.  Unfortunately in our country, there is a very large percentage of people who can't easily miss even one paycheck.  Before too long, the effect will trickle upward as people miss rent and mortgage payments, or take on debt to buy essentials.  I think there's a risk here for a massive economic ripple effect, not directly caused by the virus, but caused by the cancellations and shut-down of our communities across many different industries.

Bennett Conlin

@BennettConlin

Breaking: The NCAA Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, as well as all remaining winter and spring NCAA Championships are canceled. Not postponed, but canceled.

Updated to include today's numbers

Total NYC confirmed coronavirus cases: 

• 3/5 - 2 
  • 3/6 - 5
  • 3/7 - 11
  • 3/8 - 12
  • 3/9 - 19
  • 3/10 - 36
  • 3/11 - 52
  • 3/12 - 95
From Gov Cuomo twitter feed., updated daily.

That's incredibly thoughtful. We haven't been impacted yet, but I expect that things are going to get weird over the next few weeks. Since I work peds, I don't expect there to be a huge outbreak, since kids aren't really affected, but I do expect our ER to get slammed with every kid who comes down with a sniffle. Junk food and snacks are great for your local hospital. I will say, as a night shift nurse, we usually get short shrift when it comes to goodies, so anything targeted to the night shifters would be amazing. There is a company called insomnia cookies that delivers fresh baked cookies until 3am(?). I think it's probably for college kids and stoners, but we order from them alot. IIRC, you're in NJ? They have locations in Ewing and Hoboken. A random order, or even gift cards from them would be well received, as well as Starbucks cards, or anything else really.
Thanks.....making calls.

heard a stat last night that 38% of nurses have children in schools.  With no schools, what do they all do, and what strain will that have on the healthcare side of things?
Flip side of that, they continue going to schools which are Petrie dishes, infect their nurse parents who in turn infect patients.

I work for a small company, and we're pretty well spread out in our own offices, so its easy for us to maintain distance and not interact. The issue we're talking about is driven by parents' need to stay home when their schools and daycares close.  Our fearless leader is focused on productivity, trust, etc. associated with WFH.  I've told him - people with kids are going to need to stay home. We can either prepare for it now or deal with it next week when it happens.  Its not a question of what our policy is or whether we "allow" it.

People taking this seriously are rightly focused on the infection, hospitalization and mortality rates.  However, what we already know is going to happen, with 100% certainty, is that people are going to miss paychecks and many businesses are going to be crushed by quarantines due to lost business and missing workers.  Unfortunately in our country, there is a very large percentage of people who can't easily miss even one paycheck.  Before too long, the effect will trickle upward as people miss rent and mortgage payments, or take on debt to buy essentials.  I think there's a risk here for a massive economic ripple effect, not directly caused by the virus, but caused by the cancellations and shut-down of our communities across many different industries.
Yes.  The federal government is going to have to act with measures ranging from propping up state UE funds to some sort of UBI.  

All the schools in Michigan seem to be gearing up for extended time off. I don’t think I will have students beyond tomorrow and even that is iffy. 

Not for nothing, but in basketball from what I can tell, sweaty bodies bump up against one another while only wearing shorts and a tank top.  In addition within a 24 second time period, often times, the 5 players on the floor for that team will all touch an object called the basketball.  This can happen 20-25 times per game...

...I get that it’s ironic that 3 days after Goebert was ‘careless’, he’s now been diagnosed with COVID-19, but let’s not pretend it was because of his ‘viral’ moment.  Locker rooms have always been Petri dishes for infection/viruses.

Hard to fathom the economic % a city like Omaha is going to take...losing the CWS and 1/2nd round NCAA tourney games.

Or Tampa Bay, losing 1/2nd round tourney games, Spring Training, and potentially the PGA event.

Couldn't pay me enough to sit in a tube filled with recycled air blowers sucking up germs from unknown passengers, let alone put my family in it.  
I’m on a flight back to Dallas from NYC as we speak.  

Stayed in Chinatown, walked through Little Italy to client meetings each day, lunched in Little Italy. 

Trying to retain some sanity in an admittedly unknown whirlwind. 

My personal belief, for me and my set of circumstances, is to treat this as a really bad flu that is going around.  When that happens, I generally feel it’s 30-40% I get the flu at some point.  And those years I do, we get sick and do what we can to heal up in a healthish manner.

This time, I am taking extra precaution.  Have my Purell and using it liberally (never did prior). Take an extra bunch of seconds at least when washing hands. Trying (and failing, but trying) to not touch my face. Even so I bet it’s been reduced by half at least.

I wouldn’t look to go to a convention or sporting event or festival. I will, as of now, go out to eat, grab a drink, coffee... if things get worse I’ll likely eat at home.  

If things continue as I’d expect, I’ll likely buy 3-5 round trippers over the next month... with cancelled meetings already, I have $1,500 in flight credit and dirt cheap flights.  It’s Southwest so if things escalate even a little I can cancel again no charge.   If I do travel, I’d go for short spurts and to places where if I get any Inkling of symptoms I would be ok being “stuck” for two weeks.  So a place near family or hotel inexpensive enough in a spot where I know enough folks if things go bad, to a gal with whom I’d be... and the chance of one but not both of us getting sick would be just about nill, so what better way to self quarantine, if needed.  At least suffer, but comfort each other, and get better together. 

FINALLY, and I’ll post on this separately: Most of my friends are in hospitality.  Many live paycheck to paycheck. Fewer still have insurance.  I fear for their heath AND livelihood moving forward. As such, I feel an obligation to do my part, go out, overtip - but be smart.  Their well-being may well depend on it. :sadbanana:

Not for nothing, but in basketball from what I can tell, sweaty bodies bump up against one another while only wearing shorts and a tank top.  In addition within a 24 second time period, often times, the 5 players on the floor for that team will all touch an object called the basketball.  This can happen 20-25 times per game...

...I get that it’s ironic that 3 days after Goebert was ‘careless’, he’s now been diagnosed with COVID-19, but let’s not pretend it was because of his ‘viral’ moment.  Locker rooms have always been Petri dishes for infection/viruses.
I'm surprised Mitchell is the only other one.

Doctors Without Borders, as a collective body, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1999. It's hard to single out a handful of individuals ... but one likes to think there will be worldwide recognition for some of the frontline doctors and researchers fighting COVID-19.

Steven Fulop, the mayor of Jersey City, went out with his top cop today to ticket establishments for price gouging ... 10K FINE FOR THOSE D-BAGS!!

10 F'N K!

statement:

I just “visited” some stores that were price gouging with Prosecutor Jake Hudnut and our JCPD. We won’t accept stores taking advantage of residents during these times. Doubling prices for basic items for cleaning isn’t acceptable. Tickets were issued at $10k for each item. It is disappointing to see this happening and they should be aware we won’t tolerate it!

Users who are viewing this thread