What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Had dinner tonight at a "usually" packed Italian place tonight with my wife for  friends birthday.  No wait, place was about half full at prime dinner hour.  5 servers just standing around.  I know the manager and he said he will have to start staffing less and sending people home. 

Also the market where I shop ceased all salad bar, self serve soups, and coffee.  Anything self serve or food bar type will be closed indefinitely.   I think those days might be over everywhere for awhile.  

My friend who is in the food service business said the hotels that serve the self serve hot breakfast breakfast will stop that as well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Closing K-12 schools seems like a bad decision to me.  Seeing as how kids are not actually at risk, this seems like more of a disruption than what we need right now.

My sense is that we're rapidly swinging from laughable under-reaction to Covid-19 to an unfortunate over-reaction to Covid-19.
We will ultimately come to that conclusion as the curve flattens.  Need to flatten it first so we have a chance to save some kids. 

Background on why these viruses keep originating in China.

Disgusting, inhumane and cruel.  And no surprise that even in China, these horrible "wet markets" continued to exist because they catered to the rich and powerful.  

That's a very informative video (thanks, Chet) that should put to rest any nonsense about this having been a bioweapon that got out of control.     

@SWhyno: NBA Commissioner Adam Silver says on TNT that the league's hiatus will be "at least 30 days." NHL has not set a timeline right now.

This makes little sense to me - why not just cancel classes too?
Updating...PRACTICES are allowed (and his was held) but no competitions until at least April 8.  All winter sports championships cancelled.

Apparently the governor outlawed competition but not practice, so our district decided to keep practices going.  My son and his buddy were glad.  I will be too if nothing crazy transpires.

Closing K-12 schools seems like a bad decision to me.  Seeing as how kids are not actually at risk, this seems like more of a disruption than what we need right now.

My sense is that we're rapidly swinging from laughable under-reaction to Covid-19 to an unfortunate over-reaction to Covid-19.
Would be thrilled if it’s a huge over-reaction and we don’t go through an Italy situation. THRILLED. I’ll listen to every idiot boomer joke. 

Updating...PRACTICES are allowed (and his was held) but no competitions until at least April 8.  All winter sports championships cancelled.

Apparently the governor outlawed competition but not practice, so our district decided to keep practices going.  My son and his buddy were glad.  I will be too if nothing crazy transpires.
Because the virus only spreads from...opponents?   :loco:

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277

2/12 - 490

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/1 -    9,039 reported cases - 133 dead - USA 76 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/6 - 21,256 reported cases - 418 dead - USA 321 cases - 15 dead

3/7 - 25,311 reported cases - 502 dead - USA 438 cases - 19 dead

3/8 - 29,129 reported cases - 706 dead - USA 540 cases - 22 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/10 - 38,453 reported cases - 1,132 dead - USA 975 cases - 30 dead

3/11 - 45,386 reported cases - 1443 dead - USA 1,168 cases - 36 dead

3/12 - 53,763 reported cases - 1802 dead - USA 1,716 cases - 41 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

fyi, switched to a new numbers calculator, world-o-meter, which to me seems more accurate than bnonews.  Bnonews was great, but the task of calculating all of this must have grown to be too much for them.  It may have made tonight's numbers off just a hair, but not really enough to really change things.

I think it's likely to force employers hands on allowing employees time away from the work place, which really will help things in terms of community transmission.

I'd think places would remain closed down until there are enough test kits, or I should say, complete test kits..

My sophomore in HS is scheduled to leave for Spain with his HS band on March 21st. Some of their time is to be spent performing (and being a tourist) in Madrid.

I just read that schools in Madrid are now closed until march 26th to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Given that Spain seems to be following the same statistical trajectory as Italy has, I have to believe this trip will be over before it starts.

That said, we had a parent meeting about the trip over the weekend and the tour operator did a very nice job talking about the current situation/risks. He said that the trip is "almost certain to go on" unless the US State Department issues a level 4 travel warning for Spain (4 = do not travel; 3 = reconsider travel; 2 = Exercise increased caution).  Italy has been at a level 3 warning up until they closed their borders within the last day (so now a level 4 I think). That worries me that after all the alarms in Italy over the past number of days, they were only at a level 3.
Update - The trip was "postponed" this morning and they say they are evaluating options for a summer or fall trip. That doesn't help the graduating seniors, of course. They also said they now have to work through the process of trying to secure refunds for all of the services already paid for (i.e. flights, transfers, hotels, meals, tour guides, etc.). It will be very interesting to see how much money we actually get back on the roughly $3k we had into the trip.

received internal communication from my employer that i need to be prepared for an onslaught of work due to across the board commercial stress.  not a surprise, but we expect more stress than 2008.

No, I get that.  But they're going to be carriers even if we close the schools (they'll still hang out), and we mess up family work/life arrangements.  This just seems like a bad tradeoff.

For the record, my youngest kid is a HS senior so what do I care.
Kids won’t have nearly the contact with nearly as many people as they would if they are in school. And kids typically have horrible hygiene practices which makes it more likely they’ll transmit to each other and than to other family groups. The less contact they have with other kids right now the better I think.

And it’s not that kids have NO symptoms, it’s that they don’t typically have the more severe symptoms. 

Lastly, it probably would be best if we just shut everything down. But people would lose their minds if the government started mandating everything shut down. So they do what they reasonably can for now to slow the spread. And that is pretty much the key now. We’re unlikely to stop the spread, but slowing it down allows our healthcare system to stay afloat rather than it blowing up so fast that our healthcare system can’t treat people.

@emmersbrown
ER doc described 2 recent patients in enough respiratory distress to be admitted to the hospital, tested negative for flu and 20 common viruses, had CT scans consistent with Covid-19. State denied them both testing. Doc: “It made me realize that they weren’t testing anyone.”

A WAPO reporter
Scary

You do know that the people who are living week to week are the ones most likely to get shut out of needed goods like toilet paper right? 

They usually have like most a supply that would last them a week or two. They are not running out to Costco and Target and buying 48 rolls at a time.  This impacts the people who can`t stockpile good the most.  My neighbor who it is just her and her husband said she bought 60 rolls of toilet paper and 60 paper towels.  I asked why and she said "I don`t know everybody was buying it so I went to 3 stores and loaded up"  Of course she has the time and money to do so.  Many other do not.
I’m completely guessing but think people will get what they need - they’ll just have to go out and find it.  And it’s unknown which helps slow the spread more but in general I think the fewer people out and about the better.

I'm an adjunct at Miami Dade College, the 2nd largest college in the nation with 160,000 students at multiple campuses. I just got this text  alert:  "MDC is preparing to transition to a remote learning environment. Effective Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 29, all classes will be canceled."

I need to report to work the next 2 weeks to receive additional training about on-line teaching. Many professors have no idea about on-line teaching. It will be a challenge for them.

And here is where things get interesting. Our courthouse brings in 1200+ jurors 3-4 times a week and packs them all in a big room where they are pulled out as needed. Lately the number of call outs has increased significantly. So far it hasn't been a problem, but you can see how it is going to be. Imagine huge cities like LA or NYC and what is going to happen there. I saw Washington suspended speedy trial requirements for some case types--I bet this becomes a reality in most large cities sooner rather than later. 
There are so many cascading consequences.

High school Baseball trip to Florida cancelled.   Tournament director just sent out the notice.   Hotels are not wanting to refund the parent's money.   Good times. 

Users who are viewing this thread