What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

so I have some good news.  Business is booming for us right now.  Things are looking up for us production wise.

All of our China suppliers have been up and running since Feb 9 when they got back from their extended CNY.  We have asked them to pump up production and maintain roughly 2x stock they normally would to absorb any bumps in the road before it gets to us, so we have the ability to continue to build at full production.

That being said, we have been getting some really large orders from some major retailers (including major internet direct sales) lately.  I think that may be due to them doing the same to us that we did to our suppliers, or it may be due to a recent successful product launchl.  Either way, it means we have little appetite for shutting down right now.

We are taking precautions.  I'm not privy to what is going on with the assembly lines - I assume hand sanitizer and gloves; I hope a lenient absent policy to care for loved ones as well.  For the office staff, we are doing our dry run for WFH on Monday.  That will be fun.  We had a big company meeting scheduled yesterday that got cancelled - instead it will be tomorrow, but everyone is supposed to remove-view from their offices or conference rooms.  It's funny - apparently the presentation hardware (software?) can only handle 50 people viewing at a time, so they asked us to get together with officemates or conference rooms.  Apparently they figure lots of small groups are better than one large one. 

If it came to it, I'd prefer to go into the office vs WFH.  I have my own office with a door I can close.  I don't rely on public transportation to get to and fro, and I could, in theory, go all day without talking to anyone.  Anything I can do from home, I can do easier at work.  Also, work has toilet paper and hand sanitizer so...

Our business is not one that is subject to any of this mess - I think we will be ok.

Just wanted to post something that seems to be working out OK for a change.

Mayo Clinic develops test to detect COVID-19 infection

Mayo Clinic has developed a test that can detect the SARS-CoV-2 virus in clinical samples. The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes COVID-19.

The test, "Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus-2 (SARS CoV-2), Molecular Detection" has been fully validated. Data from this test will be submitted to the Food and Drug Administration for review and emergency use authorization.

"This test should help ease some of the burden that is currently being felt at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state public health laboratories," says William Morice II, M.D., Ph.D., president of Mayo Clinic Laboratories. "We are doing everything we can to help relieve the burden during this time to provide answers for patients here in Rochester and around the world."

The real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test can identify SARS-CoV-2 from a variety of clinical samples. It has been validated to test respiratory samples collected from suspected COVID-19 patients. The samples can be collected using nasopharyngeal swabs, sputum, throat swabs, bronchoalveolar lavages, and bronchial washings.

Mayo Clinic will follow CDC's recommended guidelines for SARS-CoV-2 testing, allowing U.S. health care providers to send testing directly to Mayo Clinic. For existing Mayo Clinic Laboratories clients, the SARS-CoV-2 assay will be offered in the U.S. and abroad.

Faster turnaround time for SARS-CoV-2 result

"An individual can now receive his or her result for SARS-CoV-2 within 24 hours," says Matthew Binnicker, Ph.D., Clinical Microbiology, who is director of the Clinical Virology Laboratory at Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

Through collaborations with clinicians at Mayo Clinic and health care providers around the world, Mayo Clinic's sub-specialized laboratories are a critical component to patient care.

Mayo Clinic has been in close contact with officials from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"We have the expertise to create tests such as this one, and we felt it was our obligation to help ease the burden that the CDC and public health laboratories are feeling at this time," Dr. Binnicker says.

All positive samples will be sent to the Minnesota Department of Health or CDC for appropriate follow-up testing and confirmation. Then test results will be communicated with public health officials, per their respective guidelines.
Sorry, can't link this, but the bolded addresses the fact that this will be fast-tracked (hopefully) by the FDA. I do not know what sort of time frame is involved normally, but am hopeful that emergency use authorization means ASAP.

FBG26 said:
Rice and beans can produce a lot of natural gas, which can then be used to heat the house. Natural gas also tends to keep people away, and nobody wants intruders. 
Simethicone : $7/100 

:)  

Mr. Ham said:
By the way, I expect that my family and I will get this. I just don’t want us to have it when healthcare resources are taxed. Strategy is to avoid getting it at least before June.
Conversely, you could get in early before the resources are taxed.

The Catholic Diocese of Cleveland has granted dispensation from the obligation of attending Sunday mass for the next 3 weeks.

The Florida Department of Health has announced 15 new positive Florida #COVID19 cases. All individuals are being appropriately cared for and isolated.  Visit FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19 for more information and #COVID19 updates.

krista4 said:
I was getting pretty tired of all the individual posts about "my kid's lacrosse tournament was postponed" or whatever, but I just received word that my favorite winery's tasting room is closed because they can't accommodate social distancing.  Now I understand.
As more restaurants get shut down, I am firming up my plans to turn my basement into a speakeasy.

mcintyre1 said:
Got my first personal story of someone who was exposed to a known coronavirus case, got sick, and was refused testing (in TX) last week. They went to the ER, got a test for flu (negative), were turned down for not meeting testing criteria, and were sent home with some drugs. They were not instructed to quarantine or anything else, but did so on their own. 
Generally I don’t think that they’re testing unless you are in a high risk category. I know of someone in the NYC area that doesn’t fall under a high risk category that almost certainly has it and they won’t test him. And this person has plenty of money and a very influential/high powered job, so it’s not that he’s a nobody.

JoeSteeler said:
Left the grocery store and it was a mad house x 1000

busiest I have ever seen it
Same.  I gave in to the panic and hate myself for it.  This was after I already made a mid-day trip to Costco.  My 8:00 PM trip to Kroger found the following things out of stock:

Eggs
Ramen
My go-to beers
Butter
Frozen chicken breasts
Distilled water (for my CPAP)
Rubbing alcohol
Vick's (my son still has a nasty cough)
Some creamer my wife uses

This is only the stuff that was on my list.  A lot of other shelves were cleaned out.  Mass hysteria.

mcintyre1 said:
One of my friends has a family member in Austin with symptoms similar to coronavirus for a couple weeks, tested negative for flu, etc, but he is not being tested for coronavirus.  I wonder how many other cases there are like this in Texas.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
For whatever you think it's worth...from a friend who spends her entire day on this stuff right now:

• Places with high rates of smoking or diabetes are likely to be the worst hit.
  •  
Diabetes?

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
For whatever you think it's worth...from a friend who spends her entire day on this stuff right now:

• Places with high rates of smoking or diabetes are likely to be the worst hit. 
I work with Dialysis Access clinics daily.

I assume I'll have it soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is probably less than a thousand, but who knows since we are not testing.
I don't see how it could possibly be that low.

Not testing is a great thing.

Worst thing that could happen right now imo.  Look how everyone laps up the apocalypse narrative without any numbers.

culdeus said:
Ok here's a run-down of my symptoms.  You tell me if this fits with narrative

Week of 2/24 - Exposed to people coming back from West China after their 14 day quarantine

Day 0 2/24 - First day with upper respiratory symptoms.  Began OTC medicine treatment in day and before bed

Symptoms continue, and get worse/better over next 8 days.  some days have zero symptoms at all.  

Day 11 3/8 3/9 - Crippling Diarrhea.  I mean crippling.  Started Immodium.  still coughing

3/11 - Low fever 99.4 stayed home more OTC.  Tried to get flu test (not COV test) was declined.  Fever too low

Day 17 Today 3/12 -  Staying home, OTC medicine working fine, feel much better cough gone.

Throughout this have had - Minimal if any runny nose.  At times extreme chest tightness.  Coughing is non productive, meaning can't get any crap out.  Fatigued.  Needing a lot of coffee.  

Diagnose me dr. fbgs
Was sore throat a symptom? You checked all the other boxes. Dry cough, headaches, fever, fatigue, chest tightness, sometimes diarrhea or vomiting, and minimal or no runny nose. 

Based on your description and the fact that you had it for over two weeks, i would say there is a decent chance you had it. The good news is that you started improving after two weeks and it didn't turn into pneumonia in week 3.

Was reading Mr Ham’s account of getting his family to eat for nutrition & calories over taste.

After talking with my wife and kids tonight about what to eat if we can’t go out for a while ... I don’t think they’re going to touch the emergency provisions until Mel Gibson is outside booby-trapping gas tanks and Tina Turner’s strutting around in chain mail.

WHO doc answering questions on CNN, hosted by Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper now. 

Said doesn't know yet if you can get reinfected with the cv.

I don't see how it could possibly be that low.

Not testing is a great thing.

Worst thing that could happen right now imo.  Look how everyone laps up the apocalypse narrative without any numbers.
We have numbers in many other  countries except....this one.

Other countries are testing everyone they can. 

Millions in the USA is virtually impossible based on what we know, unless we’ve been lied to

Unless the governments are engaging in a massive cover-up, something I don’t believe in, we have the stats for what this thing is, what is does, how fast it spreads, how many it kills, etc. 

We have numbers in every country except....this one.

Othet countries are testing everyone they can. 

Millions in the USA is virtually impossible based on what we know, unless we’ve been lied to

Unless the governments are engaging in a massive cover-up, something I don’t believe in, we have the stats for what this thing is, what is does, how fast it spreads, how many it kills, etc. 
I'd say millions is a forgone conclusion.

It is a virus.  It has spread, it is spreading, it will spread.

No cover up needed.  It will run its course with or without a government agenda.

Pretty wild Data model sheet of Coronavirus in the US.

Uses the King County case as ground zero and runs numbers that do manage to line up pretty well with our death rate (48 deaths as of today). 

The only downside is it projects  us as having 167.898 cases in America right now. 

Tomorrow 204,000

One Million by the 22nd / 333 dead / 22.7k Hospitalized / 3.1k ICU)

10 Million by April 2nd (2800 deaths / 192k Hospitalized / 29k ICU)

It even includes a convenient "Cluster Sheet" that you can run your own model on your area. 

These all assume a constant Ro which HOPEFULLY is much lower with everything being cancelled. 

There's a dude from the Japan ship has been in quarantine since Feb 4. In Omaha NE since Feb 17, put in a biocontainment center in there for 10 days, now still locked up, can't open the window, go outside, waiting to shed the cv. He's in a clinical trial too. He was retested today and still is positive after 28 days. 

So you can't assume it's just a 14 day thing. Omaha requires 3 clear tests before you're released. 

There's a dude from the SF ship has been in quarantine since Feb 4. In Omaha NE since Feb 17, put in a biocontainment center in there for 10 days, now still locked up, can't open the window, go outside, waiting to shed the cv. He's in a clinical trial too. He was retested today and still is positive after 28 days. 

So you can't assume it's just a 14 day thing. 
I was watching this too. But they may be picking up positive results from dead virus cells. 

Sure.. what is testing going to do?

Is there a cure? 
Isolating cases and slowing down the spread.

I fully admit I may be wrong, however shutting down the majority of the worlds major economies is something that has never happened before.  This leads me to believe that this is more serious than what you think it is. I respect your opinion and how you arrived at it, but I(and most of the world from what I can tell) have a completely opposite opinion.

There's a dude from the SF ship has been in quarantine since Feb 4. In Omaha NE since Feb 17, put in a biocontainment center in there for 10 days, now still locked up, can't open the window, go outside, waiting to shed the cv. He's in a clinical trial too. He was retested today and still is positive after 28 days. 

So you can't assume it's just a 14 day thing. Omaha requires 3 clear tests before you're released. 
Are you sure you're not talking about the Japan ship, not the SF one?  The SF one has not even finished disembarking people yet (which is a travesty in and of itself).

Pretty wild Data model sheet of Coronavirus in the US.

Uses the King County case as ground zero and runs numbers that do manage to line up pretty well with our death rate (48 deaths as of today). 

The only downside is it projects  us as having 167.898 cases in America right now. 

Tomorrow 204,000

One Million by the 22nd / 333 dead / 22.7k Hospitalized / 3.1k ICU)

10 Million by April 2nd (2800 deaths / 192k Hospitalized / 29k ICU)

It even includes a convenient "Cluster Sheet" that you can run your own model on your area. 

These all assume a constant Ro which HOPEFULLY is much lower with everything being cancelled. 

Very interesting.  I can’t figure out how to line that up with Italy, but I may have to look at that tomorrow. Rough quarantine night of Oreos Netflix and whiskey has me tired.

Amazes me that people are still going to gyms or that they're even open.  All the sweat and shared equipment seems like ground zero for the virus.  
Gym manager guy here. Wichita area. Shutting it down tomorrow or Saturday. Amazingly low amount of questions/concerns so far. But the fact we’re closing down is inevitable in my mind and we want what’s best for our staff and customers. Better to close voluntarily than a quarantined situation. Keep the ball in my court so to speak. Want to keep admin/full time staff around to manage. Plan to pay hourly/part time as long as we can. We are much like a ymca so pissing away a lot of spring program revenue but it’s happening regardless. Rather be on the front end than too late. That’s what reserves are for. Million decisions to make. 100+ ft/pt employees. Keep the pool running or shut it down and avoid utilities? We still gotta mow the ballfields and facilities. How do you figure what you’re paying variable hour part time employees? Accounting remotely. In the middle of a remodel project. They didn’t teach this class in college. Stress. Stress. Hang in there errybody. Thank you guys. This place is a major resource for me. Love. 

Users who are viewing this thread