What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (4 Viewers)

RedmondLonghorn said:
Trump doesn’t want easily available testing because bad numbers would reflect poorly on him. That’s obvious at this point.
When did numbers become good or bad?

I do agree that the numbers are being used as weapons, and people tend to be panicky and driven by fear.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one should use China as an example for anything. They are the enemy, they started it, they cannot be trusted to tell the truth. 
Well, they've certainly done a better job of containment and testing than we have. Of course, a lot of that is from their authoritarian government, but you can't deny at this point that it is working. 

They have "fever clinics" dedicated to this. You're met in a different part of the hospital, they take your temp, ask symptom questions, do a white blood cell count, flu test, they then use a portable CT scanner to check your lungs, then they quarantine you on site and don't let you go home until they know for sure.

Our current process seems to be "well, you've got a lot of the symptoms, flu test is negative, CT scan is too expensive/takes an hour so we're not gonna do that, here's some drugs -- maybe stay home for awhile."

Wow.  Congratulations on making a post that is xenophobic, hate-driven and completely wrong all at the same time. 
You made me laugh with that ridiculous post. So who's fault is it pal? Who steals our secrets pal? Who wants to be the dominate country in the world, pal? I'm right & you got no clue. 

xenophobic    Wake up.

Sounds like you would take the side of the dictatorship over it's  own people. They are no different than Iran other than they make all our cheap goods. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/business/china-coronavirus-propaganda.html You should read stuff like this and get better educated.

That's a NY Times article too.

People keep using China like it is an example of success.. like the virus hasn't run a lap around the globe since.
Do you think we'd have done better?

Even right now, with full knowledge of how easily this thing spreads and it all over the country we haven't banned or even restricted travel OUT of the US.

discussion with CEO of my small company this morning:

Me - we have to put WFH policy in place. gotta prepare now for what is certain to come next week.

Him - there are no confirmed cases yet in [city of several million people where we live], and only a handful in the entire state.

Me - it is 100% certain this virus is in [city of several million people where we live], its just that they are not testing. We have to be ready.

Him - Schools are open, we need to be at work.

Me - it is 100% certain many if not most schools and daycares in [city of several million people where we live] will be closed by Monday.  Parents will have to stay home with their kids. We have to be ready.

As of one hour ago, we now have several confirmed positive tests, and the school closings are coming in waves.  I doubt a single school or daycare will be open on Monday.  Of course, our outside IT vendor is swamped and its very hard to get questions answered re: WFH tech.  Luckily, we have some smart millenials on staff who already know what we need to do.
I lived this the past two weeks. 

Probably posted, but WI followed suit and shut schools down.   

Daughter's daycare said they will go until there is a confirmed case.  I talked to the owner and she said it was a decision mostly so that people could continue working as long as possible, especially the health care workers that have kids there.  Also to give a little more time to help families come up with a backup plan.  Obviously it's our choice if we still send the kiddo as well.  

On a side note, while I was talking to her she said that 2 nurses came up to her separately within 20mins of each other and said they are far from ready - there is still a lot of regular flu patients and other patients filling up the beds.  Almost at capacity as it is.   ALSO they said there was a kid at the school that was out now, but a suspected case but the doctors won't test.  ALSO, cases are slowly popping up one town over up the road.  I think I heard they went from 1 yesterday to 5 or 6 today.   Something with a church, so I assume they were probably testing people in direct contact with first person and showing symptoms.  Also had an employee call in that was showing symptoms and running a fever for the last couple days.  Said she was going to try to go in, but who knows if she can or will get tested if she does.  

Do you think we'd have done better?

Even right now, with full knowledge of how easily this thing spreads and it all over the country we haven't banned or even restricted travel OUT of the US.
No.

That is the point.

It is a contagious virus.  The only way to do better would have been to be ahead of it.

We are way way way behind it and testing everyone for it at this point is purely reactionary.

I would not be nearly as opposed to mass testing if it were free of cost.  I mean people could do what they wanted :shrug:

As it stands, what a waste.  Getting a bill for $900-$4000 (pending your insurance) to be told you have CV, but sorry we don't have a treatment for CV?

I feel like we don’t know what we don’t know yet so how is everyone dealing with social situations? Are you restricting the size of the event you will attend? If so, what number of attendees is the limit?  Are restaurants/bars still in play for you? Would you attend a wedding or a small dinner party with friends? 

Personally I feel like the smart thing to do is bunker down for two weeks until we have a clearer picture of how this will all shake out but I know a lot of my friends and family think if you wash your hands you can pretty much do what you want. 

When did numbers become good or bad?

I do agree that the numbers are being used as weapons, and people tend to be panicky and driven by fear.
His reluctance to allow the cruise ship passengers to offload in SF/Oakland was driven by his reluctance to see their cases “show up in the numbers”. I mean...he said as much.

His reluctance to allow the cruise ship passengers to offload in SF/Oakland was driven by his reluctance to see their cases “show up in the numbers”. I mean...he said as much.
Of course, Trump is a moron.

Good news Trump isn't the only one controlling what the government response is.

The government itself has very valid non political concerns for not seeing test numbers increase.

eta - also the common sense behind not testing everyone I have beaten to death.

Not sure how you know/think that, but, he should.  Testing a million people would drive the mortality rate into the ground.
We should be testing tens of thousands a day, like South Korea is, in order to have accurate data that would help in limiting the spread of the disease. We aren’t, because of incompetence. Or maybe willful malfeasance. 

We should be testing tens of thousands a day, like South Korea is, in order to have accurate data that would help in limiting the spread of the disease. We aren’t, because of incompetence. Or maybe willful malfeasance. 
How would testing limit the spread?  Again... too late.  

Someone tested positive?  Too late, they probably spread it.  Hurry up and test everyone they know?  Too late, they spread it.

Fools errand.

I feel like we don’t know what we don’t know yet so how is everyone dealing with social situations? Are you restricting the size of the event you will attend? If so, what number of attendees is the limit?  Are restaurants/bars still in play for you? Would you attend a wedding or a small dinner party with friends? 

Personally I feel like the smart thing to do is bunker down for two weeks until we have a clearer picture of how this will all shake out but I know a lot of my friends and family think if you wash your hands you can pretty much do what you want. 
My son's 10th birthday party is tomorrow. We're planning a dinner out with family and friends totaling maybe 12 people. A few of his friends but also two grandparents were planned. I've tried to discourage them politely and not attend. They say they are "healthy" and not concerned but I think they're being foolish. They're also into holistic medicine and not ones to get yearly flu shots because they think it compromises their immune systems.

Don't know if this was posted, nor do I care to look thru if it has... but some great news from your neighbours to the north.

The Virus Has Been Isolated

Refuse to spend time in this thread, as I can't deal w more of this chatter, but hopefully you all find it useful

Stay safe.

I went back to Costco this morning.  Line waiting to get in was one complete lap around the exterior of the store at 9:30.  At 9:45, it was about another quarter of a lap long, and the line started moving.  I got into the store at 10:20 (35 minutes after movement began).  Another line inside the store, waiting for TP.  That went quick... Maybe 5 minutes.  But, they were limiting every card holder to one package of TP and one package of paper towels.  I have tons of towels at home, so I asked if I could instead take two TP's.  Not an option was the response.  

Didn't really plan to buy bottled water until I saw that it was limited to two cases, and everyone was grabbing some.  So I grabbed two.  Which is kind of a microcosm of how this chaos/panic works.  Someone sees everybody else buying TP, so they buy TP, which causes their neighbor (who needs TP) to not get any when it runs out, etc.  Pretty soon everyone is buying TP, but nobody is 100% sure why.  

Lines to check out were pretty bad as well.  They had every checkout lane open (which is almost unheard of.... didn't even see that during the holidays), but each lane was 10+ customers deep. Middle lanes backed up all the way to the rotisserie chickens.  Employees buying TP and water on their 15-minute breaks.  Some aisles weren't even really accessible by cart because they were filled with people in line to check out.  

I grabbed TP, ziplocks and booze for my GF's dad (who is 70 and recovering from prostate surgery), and another couple weeks worth of vodka and protein.  We should be set for at least six weeks, if the shlt really starts to hit the fan.  

Starting to wonder what would happen if a quarantine actually was put in place, in terms of my kids.  I share 50/50 custody with their mom.  Not sure what I would do if I had to be away from them for 30 days, especially under these circumstances.  I'm hoping we would somehow be able to stick to our normal schedule, at least as much as possible.

Please include your location when posting news on closures, etc.
78260:

Schools, high school athletics, middle school athletics, band practices, church services (I love this one), my kids training session this weekend, tennis clinic, my wife's bungo (bunko?).

I'll keep you in the loop as more comes to light.

Oh yeah, owner of daycare said she just got a text before we talked that said line for checkout at Woodman's was 1hr+.   My manager said his FIL was texting him all day, and Costco/woodmans/pick n save were all gutted.  

Oh yeah, owner of daycare said she just got a text before we talked that said line for checkout at Woodman's was 1hr+.   My manager said his FIL was texting him all day, and Costco/woodmans/pick n save were all gutted.  
This is why fear and panic sucks.

You can't avoid being impacted by it,  even the most level headed among us is forced to grab that last package of toilet paper.

How would testing limit the spread?  Again... too late.  

Someone tested positive?  Too late, they probably spread it.  Hurry up and test everyone they know?  Too late, they spread it.

Fools errand.
Not too late at all. If someone tests postiive, they will hopefully stop going out and quarantine themselves. Sure, they may have already spread it to other people, but if they would have continued spreading it, but now won't - how is that not limiting the spread?

Not too late at all. If someone tests postiive, they will hopefully stop going out and quarantine themselves. Sure, they may have already spread it to other people, but if they would have continued spreading it, but now won't - how is that not limiting the spread?
Individual by individual by individual.

You will not get ahead of it like this.

You can't avoid being impacted by it,  even the most level headed among us is forced to grab that last package of toilet paper.
Let’s be realistic here - with the information we have, it seems very unlikely that things will degrade to a point of no supply lines and a complete meltdown of trucking and shipment of goods. 

My concern here in Dallas where this is sorta day one of “omg, we aren’t immune down here in Texas?” Is not to have one months food and TP.  I need enough to: 

1. Hold me until mid next week the latest when everyone has twelve times their needed supplies and store shelves remain stocked.

2. Enough to get me through a week or so of being sick and having to self quarantine, understanding I can then order any number of delivery options should I need stuff while I am holed up. 

Got enough TP and Kleenex, cold and flu meds and gonna just finish up by having a bunch of canned goods/soups, ramen, and frozens, plus pasta and rice - if all that isn’t enough and I’m in trouble for not being a true hoarder, we are all way more screwed than most of us realize and no one has any idea of what that total apocalyptic option would result in. 

Could be worse?  In China, people had to pass the test before they are allowed to  enter the stores to buy food.  Then people are not even allowed to go out anymore.
I thought the system in China was that people had their temps taken when entering any building and if high they were then sent somewhere to be screened and from there possibly tested.

Frankly once I heard the system China was using it worried me more because it sounds like they were miles ahead of what we are doing.

I hereby end my testing opposition:

Pelosi said in her letter that the legislation is made up of a number of provisions, including "free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured."
If it is free and no cost to you, go nuts.. I don't care.  That is your business.

eta - doesn't change my opinion on its effectiveness in limiting contagion.

Made final Kroger run today; frozen vegetables were the weak link in my arsenal. Picked up another four pounds of cheese too, because cheese man.  I'm purposely out of alcohol too, nearly. I'm gonna party like it's February.

Let’s be realistic here - with the information we have, it seems very unlikely that things will degrade to a point of no supply lines and a complete meltdown of trucking and shipment of goods. 

My concern here in Dallas where this is sorta day one of “omg, we aren’t immune down here in Texas?” Is not to have one months food and TP.  I need enough to: 

1. Hold me until mid next week the latest when everyone has twelve times their needed supplies and store shelves remain stocked.

2. Enough to get me through a week or so of being sick and having to self quarantine, understanding I can then order any number of delivery options should I need stuff while I am holed up. 

Got enough TP and Kleenex, cold and flu meds and gonna just finish up by having a bunch of canned goods/soups, ramen, and frozens, plus pasta and rice - if all that isn’t enough and I’m in trouble for not being a true hoarder, we are all way more screwed than most of us realize and no one has any idea of what that total apocalyptic option would result in. 

Your reaction seems more or less rational.

That guy behind you in line with a dozen 48 packs of TP?

Well, thanks to this thread I was ready and dont have to deal with it.  

There was another dad there picking his kid up that clearly needed to get stuff.  I saw the look in his face when she was talking about the lines and how stuff was out.  

Users who are viewing this thread