What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

I think I heard that the state is waiving the normal 1 week waiting period to apply for unemployment benefits ...can you imagine what those offices are going to look like tomorrow?  

CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

Fewer taxes being paid and gigantic hits to the benefits programs ...ouch looking forward.  
Going to need some of mega billionaires to step up and redistribute all that wealth back into the society that it made possible for them amass it. 

I think I heard that the state is waiving the normal 1 week waiting period to apply for unemployment benefits ...can you imagine what those offices are going to look like tomorrow?  

CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

Fewer taxes being paid and gigantic hits to the benefits programs ...ouch looking forward.  
Do you have to physically go to the unemployment office? Seems like you should be able to apply online. Especially now

A coworker's wife is a pediatrician who works at your standard classic family pediatrics office.  She's been informed by her bosses to expect to be working in the hospital/ER rather than her normal practice at some point in the coming weeks, in an "all hands on deck" situation where they'll need as many doctors as possible.

I’m more worried about the infected cook than the table 10 feet away. 

Please keep the politics out of here. There’s another forum to share your love/hate of trump 
I said I was exhausted by the politics and gave an example of the nonsense.  I didn't proclaim to love or hate trump.  I'm proud of our governor being a LEADER and will vote for the dude for whatever he does!  

CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

In many states you can apply online. 

LVMH to make disinfectant gels to aid French coronavirus fight (Reuters, 3/15/2020)

PARIS (Reuters) - Louis Vuitton owner LVMH (LVMH.PA) said on Sunday that its cosmetics unit would manufacture large quantities of hand disinfectant gel to help stave off a nationwide shortage across France as the coronavirus rapidly spreads.

“LVMH will use the production lines of its perfume and cosmetic brands ... to produce large quantities of hydroalcoholic gels from Monday,” LVMH said in a statement.

These gels will be delivered free of charge to the health authorities,” LVMH added.
Revlon? Colgate-Palmolive? Maybelline? Procter & Gamble? CoverGirl? Bath & Bodyworks?

I'm in Cleveland area.  People are losing their minds about this situation.  It is going to absolutely crush the economy.  Seems like we either have the folks who believe this is real and we need to make drastic measures or those who believe it is fake news or a conspiracy.  I've heard that this is Trump keeping black people from voting and I've heard that it is a ploy by the WORLD to get Trump out of office.  

I am exhausted.  I can't take it anymore.  Thank God DeWine isn't messing around with this.  I honestly didn't like him but dude will have my vote for anything he ever runs for again. 
Same thoughts, has my vote for life. 

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell blasts large gatherings despite virus ban (LSU's Daily Reveille, 3/15/2020)

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said she was “deeply disappointed” that people ignored a ban on large gatherings issued by Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards to try to stop the spread of coronavirus.

St. Patrick's Day revelers in kilts and green shamrocks packed a city street on Saturday, though the city's official parade had been cancelled, The Times-Picayune-New Orleans Advocate reports. New Orleans police later broke up a party at a bar. The gatherings occurred as Louisiana announced its first death from coronavirus — a 58-year-old Orleans Parish resident with underlying health problems.
Looking to see if there are more accounts of this impromptu party breakup. To all you "I'm going to keep on living my life!" people -- this is what's coming because you can't put your wants behind the needs of society. Individualism should not be an absolute stance.

Cantrell tweets big crowds being broken up, hash tags Bourbon Street as restrictions tighten (WWLTV.com, 3/15/2020)

The mayor hashtagged the French Quarter and Bourbon Street and showed a photo reminiscent of the "shutdowns" of the famous partying street at midnight on Mardi Gras.

In a move that seems to indicate crowds were being dispersed in the city's French Quarter and Bourbon Street, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell tweeted that the NOPD was continuing to "enforce the ban on large gatherings all over the City."

She hashtagged the French Quarter and Bourbon Street and showed a photo reminiscent of the "shutdowns" of the famous partying street at midnight on Mardi Gras.

The move seemed to be confirmed by several tweets from people saying that the police had just shut down the street, including one that showed two police cruisers, side-by-side, with sirens on and lights flashing.

While it appeared to be a show of strength, the crowds seemed to merely move to the side and continue on their way.
Since the crowds can't stay away, though ... the French Quarter is going to end up being forcibly shut down, probably by rescinding of liquor licenses, street closures, and such.

Decided to go to our local Costco today. I have to give them huge props. First, to all of the workers. Second - their organization skills were through the roof. The line at opening seemed like a thousand people. Carts stretched around the front, side, all the way around to the back. If people tried to cut they were adamant. Uh uh - get in line like everyone else. When it opened it was orderly. Separate line inside for paper goods and water. Thought we had no shot. They brought in 4 more pallets and we got toilet paper. Limit 1. Same with eggs, etc. No raw chicken in stock but plenty of ground turkey (I’m not eating much red meat these days)  Meat was scant at first but they kept bringing out more. Got coffee, lots of wine, vodka, snacks, produce, soups, canned vegetables like black beans.  Bunch of other stuff. Dog food and treats too. Feel ample supplies for a month.

Checkout was so orderly. Long lines on both sides but Costco was on it. Blocked middle aisles so nobody cut cut. 15 min max from the back of the store through checkout. Super impressed. Well done Costco. Always a fan, but for life now. People were in fine form too. Considerate. No fighting. 

What are you guys doing about your maid?  Cancel but still pay her?
Keeping her for the time being.  She cleans once every other week and was just here on Wednesday so we have a little while to decide.

100% we will still pay her if we decide to cancel.  She's great, and it's hard as hell to get a good house-cleaner here.  

Just watched a highlight of the press conference of the IL gov.  He wiped his nose with his bare hand in the middle of his speech, then was grabbing the podium.  😕 

Don't have to close!   Mayor hinting measures coming, but not yet.   We are limiting hours though.
Assuming your floor space is small and you don't seat all that many patrons. Try not to flout anything coming down from the governor and/or mayor ... you don't want to invite a customer-clearing visit from NOPD.

Does going take-out only make any sense at all for your place?

These should all be at 100%
So, let's play this out.  Woman who is living paycheck to paycheck works across town.  Can't afford a car, takes the bus to/from her hourly wage job at which she's fortunate enough to get healthcare.  She's a little behind on the bills but that's mainly because of the winter heat and knows that as the Spring arrives she'll be able to get caught up.  She is careful not to touch seat, pole or anything else while on the bus.  Sits 3-6 feet from nearest rider.  Washes her hands as soon as she gets to work and frequently throughout the day.  Practices social distancing at work.  Repeat for the ride home.

You telling her she needs to stay home for a month?  Look for another job?  Beg her boss who has no authority to let her stay home for a month?  What  if she works for UPS and people like her did that and your grandmother's heart medicine was backed up a week because of it?  It's easy to make blanket statements if you don't really consider ANY of the downstream consequences.  Which in this case leads to grandma dying and the woman losing her job, healthcare and home.  There are ALOT of people in this country that are a $500 unexpected bill away from catastrophic situation.  Is her landlord gonna give her the month off from paying rent?  cable company?  heat?  How do you envision all this happens instantly?

To be clear, we HAVE to flatten the curve and we should have started weeks ago, but this nonsense that the ENTIRE country can just shut down for a month is crazy.  Lots of people gonna get hurt if you try to do that.  

Keeping her for the time being.  She cleans once every other week and was just here on Wednesday so we have a little while to decide.

100% we will still pay her if we decide to cancel.  She's great, and it's hard as hell to get a good house-cleaner here.  
Thanks. My next cleaning is scheduled for Friday.  I think I’ll cancel (but pay).  I’m not sure what I’ll do in following periods.

PA here.  Today I googled "how long is an ice cream cake good".  Our son's 7th birthday is next Saturday and he REALLY wants and ice cream cake (I couldn't be more proud).  Decided we better grab one today.  We weighed if that's extreme vs. the chances that Dairy Queen suddenly shuts down this week.  Figured it was best to play it on the safe side.

Exact same. Including Wednesdays.

So, let's play this out.  Woman who is living paycheck to paycheck works across town.  Can't afford a car, takes the bus to/from her hourly wage job at which she's fortunate enough to get healthcare.  She's a little behind on the bills but that's mainly because of the winter heat and knows that as the Spring arrives she'll be able to get caught up.  She is careful not to touch seat, pole or anything else while on the bus.  Sits 3-6 feet from nearest rider.  Washes her hands as soon as she gets to work and frequently throughout the day.  Practices social distancing at work.  Repeat for the ride home.

You telling her she needs to stay home for a month?  Look for another job?  Beg her boss who has no authority to let her stay home for a month?  What  if she works for UPS and people like her did that and your grandmother's heart medicine was backed up a week because of it?  It's easy to make blanket statements if you don't really consider ANY of the downstream consequences.  Which in this case leads to grandma dying and the woman losing her job, healthcare and home.  There are ALOT of people in this country that are a $500 unexpected bill away from catastrophic situation.  Is her landlord gonna give her the month off from paying rent?  cable company?  heat?  How do you envision all this happens instantly?

To be clear, we HAVE to flatten the curve and we should have started weeks ago, but this nonsense that the ENTIRE country can just shut down for a month is crazy.  Lots of people gonna get hurt if you try to do that.  
Lots of people gonna get hurt either way. Many will pay the ultimate price. No easy answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
PA here.  Today I googled "how long is an ice cream cake good".  Our son's 7th birthday is next Saturday and he REALLY wants and ice cream cake (I couldn't be more proud).  Decided we better grab one today.  We weighed if that's extreme vs. the chances that Dairy Queen suddenly shuts down this week.  Figured it was best to play it on the safe side.
:oldunsure:

Lasts in the freezer?? You’ll be good 

Assuming your floor space is small and you don't seat all that many patrons. Try not to flout anything coming down from the governor and/or mayor ... you don't want to invite a customer-clearing visit from NOPD.

Does going take-out only make any sense at all for your place?
Im pushing togo, but since the bar is open they are letting people sit

This is disconcerting, though at this point I don't know what to believe.

The scariest part about the 3,590/368 that Italy released today is that they are reporting a ten percent death rate out of the gate today.  

The thing is, when someone gets covid-19, it's supposed to be 2-3 weeks until their body gives out and dies.  So those numbers are just way too high. I think what we are seeing in Germany is a little closer to what we should see if we were getting accurate numbers.

So with Italy, they have to be missing a lot of infected patients.  

Users who are viewing this thread