What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Deaths are obviously very sad.  But a deep recession (or depression) ends up leading to a lot of deaths too, in a different way. Economic concerns aren’t all about people losing half of their 401k or losing all their rental homes.

For some people it means they go homeless or struggle to eat or become unhealthy.
ok, i was critical so i open myself to criticism. but did i suggest that economic concerns were all about people losing half of their 401k or losing all their rental homes? no i did not . that thought never occurred to me. interesting that that is what you thought i was implying. defensive much.?

you have seemed in your posts to suggest that you to take covid-19 to be a grave threat. do you now suggest that a recession, (not a deep recession or depression that neither i nor the OP addressed) is likely to cause nearly the same amount of deaths as this pandemic?

Also got a sobering and sad email from our daycare.  Basically that she expects 40% staff to be out based on guidelines.  They are trying to stay open mostly because of the medical workers who have kids there and trying to free them up for work.  

Also said insurance wont kick in until there is a positive test, and at that time they can suspend billing.  If people want to pull kids out before then, its 1 month notice in writing, and enough doing so will probably close down the center for good since it's a new business. (Just 2nd year).  Oof.  

This is definitely possible IMO.  Maybe not quite SK, but much better than Italy/Seattle.

All schools in VA, MD and DC are closed already.  A lot of people are already doing true social distancing -- basically inside except for groceries and meds.  I'm like 99% certain bars, restaurants, churches and other social gatherings will be officially closed in a few days.

We missed the window to have that really halt the spread of the disease, but clamping down earlier rather than later is going to have a big impact.

I don't know what you'll find if you Google it, but I was reading about the 1957 flu pandemic yesterday and there were huge differences in fatalities between cities that had stringent anti-spread measures (St. Louis IIRC) and some that didn't (NYC IIRC).
You sure it was the 1957 one? I read a st louis comparison for 1918. Compared KC and boston to st Louis. 

At some point the negative economic impact is going to cost far more lives than the virus.  
This is what govt. officials are weighing right now.

Every single govt. has made the call that slowing the spread is more important than the economic impact.   We have to trust that the governments knows more than we do.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: JAA
At some point the negative economic impact is going to cost far more lives than the virus.  
Think you’re underestimating the number of deaths this could cause in short order if we overwhelm the healthcare system and patients are triaged and some left to die. 

Edited 3 minutes ago by fruity pebbles
The bigger the impact from the health crisis, the bigger the economic crisis will be.  People advocating there is a tradeoff are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Every single govt. has made the call that slowing the spread is more important than the economic impact.   We have to trust that the governments knows more than we do.  
BS.  They are making CYA decisions by the seat of their pants.  No one is evaluating the economic tradeoffs in making any of these decisions.  

BS.  They are making CYA decisions by the seat of their pants.  No one is evaluating the economic tradeoffs in making any of these decisions.  
We'll agree to disagree here.  Trump is Mr. economy and he has backed off of his "this is the flu" stance.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
We'll agree to disagree here.  Trump is Mr. economy and he has backed off of his "this is the flu" stance.
I worked in government long enough to know how decisions get made.  And MOST decisions are based on very shallow and faulty reasoning. 

Our schools are shut down but 

Child care for children ages 5 through 12 will be available at our elementary schools for the those who work for the following types of employers:

Health care providers and systems, including hospitals and clinics

Post-acute and long-term care facilities, including nursing and assisted living facilities

Other health systems and organizations, such as:

Home Care workers

Personal Care Assistants

Ambulance/emergency

Direct Care and Treatment

Other emergency staff, including: 

First responders 

Firefighters 

Personnel providing correctional services 

Essential court personnel 

Minnesota State Veterans Homes staff 

State and local public health agency employees

MNSure Navigators 

County financial/eligibility workers 

County case managers 

Or any county staff in emergency management or health and human services

Losing a large percentage of the population to death or incapacity can be more harmful than a 3 or 4 week lock down.
Depends.  Not to be cold, but killing of the elderly saves huge amounts of money in long term health care costs and pension and social security payments. 

Depends.  Not to be cold, but killing of the elderly saves huge amounts of money in long term health care costs and pension and social security payments. 
If it was just a small percentage of elderly dying every country that has ever contracted this would not be taking the same extreme measures.  The virus is more harmful than what is being reported because they don't want to cause a hysteria.   See the Guardian link I provided earlier in this thread if you want to see a worst case scenario.  7.9 million hospitalized just in the UK is a worst case scenario.

This is pretty simple logic.

A grocery store near me upped their price on milk to 9.99/gallon from 4.99 a couple days ago.  They also raised prices on rice, pasta and other essentials 30%.  I reported them to the Illinois AGs office.  Scumbags.

I think this is the part that is getting eroded away.  

A grocery store near me upped their price on milk to 9.99/gallon from 4.99 a couple days ago.  They also raised prices on rice, pasta and other essentials 30%.  I reported them to the Illinois AGs office.  Scumbags.
Yeah, I think part of this has to come with a freeze on prices or you are going to start seeing this ####.  

This German company CureVac seems like it has something big going on. They have a lot of expertise, but so do a lot of companies both in the U.S. and elsewhere. But where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and there’s a lot of smoke going on right now with CureVac.

So this thread is super bleak and I almost can’t read it any longer. Try something different — there has to be a chance for good news right? This isn’t 100% guaranteed to be a total disaster (I hope). So what would good news look like? How would we get there? Just dumb luck?

People don't have an alternative.  Going rogue and supporting anarchy certainly isn't the answer.
Not saying that either.  Just saying I wish I trusted it more in a time like this.  Mostly that they had the country's interests in mind more than their own - which is a sad thing to say.  

So this thread is super bleak and I almost can’t read it any longer. Try something different — there has to be a chance for good news right? This isn’t 100% guaranteed to be a total disaster (I hope). So what would good news look like? How would we get there? Just dumb luck?
China and South Korea getting back to normal.   We'll have a better idea of our timeline as we watch Italy and other countries recover.

The virus moves so fast that it's likely to come and go...but the UK report suggests it lingers for a year...by then we'll have anti-viral measures.

BOSTON (AP) — Schools in Massachusetts will close for at least three weeks, and all gatherings of more than 25 people will be banned in the latest attempt to arrest the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Charlie Baker announced Sunday.

The governor also ordered all dine-in restaurants and bars to close for a month. Take-away and delivery services won’t be affected by the rules, nor will grocery stores or pharmacies.

“I realize these measures are unprecedented,” Baker, a Republican, said at a news conference announcing the directives. “But we’re asking our residents to take a deep breath and understand the rationale behind this guidance.”

Classes were already suspended in many parts of the state, including Boston. Some districts are holding classes on Monday to give students a chance to retrieve belongings and pick up materials for home instruction.

The restrictions on gatherings will apply to any event that brings 25 or more people together in the same space and will apply to churches, gyms, theaters and workplaces. The order goes into effect Tuesday and lasts through April 5.

[\i]

The federal govt?  I swear there are 10-15 posters in this thread that would run laps around Trump and Pence in terms of knowledge of this crisis.

The USA is currently managing this crisis through governors, mayors and heads of private organizations.

We (our company)deal with several factories in China daily. They are getting back to normal operating procedures. 

We still have to hit our low and our normal is not china normal but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Not all will be fortunate enough to see feel that light but it's out there

The federal govt?  I swear there are 10-15 posters in this thread that would run laps around Trump and Pence in terms of knowledge of this crisis.

The USA is currently managing this crisis through governors, mayors and heads of private organizations.
:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread