What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

this is a good thing, not a bad thing.   We want to be South Korea/China...not Italy/Iran.
It is all happening too late.

Like the push for testing that is useless at this point.

Early is when these measures were needed.  So so slow to act.

Agree the quarantine should be good news.  Unless it is bungled like everything else.

I told my pops to fire up the still and start making his own hand sanitizer to sell at a stand on the side of the road.  One of those stands where nobody attends and there a box with a hole in it to put the money. Not sure how to make the wash taste terrible enough that the idiots wouldn't snatch it to get blind drunk.

Agree with your sentiment, although I'm thinking it's going to be a more like mid or late summer. The US is a big place and it will take time to pass through. 
Possible, it's all guesswork at this point.  Are we China?  How will Italy turn out?  Will the US get its #### in order?

A lot of unknown variables.

To put people at ease...

A lot of people will get sick and too many will die but life will go on sooner than it seems.  

Things will get pretty normal in about 4-8 weeks is my guess.  Just need to ride it out.
Well that would be nice but unlikely. Latest is up to 6 mo until it's a semblance of normal. As for the economy and my 401k, likely a lot longer than 6 mo.

I'm not sharing completely anecdotal stuff... this is from a federal Homeland Security employee who has been sharing good info that has almost universally happened.  Jax-Bill hearing the same things in a different department is "Confirmation, in gubmint speak - Same rumors, two different departments" per my buddy. 

Everything is anecdotal until it happens... I imagine some folks might benefit from advance notification. 

I give you my word I'm actively filtering stuff and only sharing stuff that feels likely likely or relevant. 
It’s not that I disbelieve you. 

It is all happening too late.

Like the push for testing that is useless at this point.

Early is when these measures were needed.  So so slow to act.

Agree the quarantine should be good news.  Unless it is bungled like everything else.
What day is the speculated quarantine supposed to happen?

It’s not that I disbelieve you. 
I agree with your sentiment and feelings, but so far this thread has kept me ahead of the curve and more in the know of predicting what might be in the works.   There are posts such as that one that alarms me, but overall it's calming knowing that we are trying to prepare each other and are in this together in a myriad of ways.   As much as they make me nervous, I say keep those posts coming.  

Things will get pretty normal in about 4-8 weeks is my guess
betcha not. my guess.

have you seen how governments and organizations are reacting?

costing them billions of dollars when greed is their primary motivator. it's totally unprecedented.

you said a few posts back that the government knows things we don't.

i agree.

that doesn't fuel optimism

"So my boomer dad who thinks he's SOOOOO smart . . ."

My daughter has made it very clear that anybody over 40 is a boomer.
For my 9 and 11 year olds, "boomer" might as well be the current term for "#####." They use it derisively toward my wife and I all the time. I think I'm going to go steal their toilet paper.

betcha not. my guess.

have you seen how governments and organizations are reacting?
Yes, my estimate was based on other countries that have weathered the storm.  A lot of data points on how long this last and how long it takes folks to recover.

I agree with your sentiment and feelings, but so far this thread has kept me ahead of the curve and more in the know of predicting what might be in the works.   There are posts such as that one that alarms me, but overall it's calming knowing that we are trying to prepare each other and are in this together in a myriad of ways.   As much as they make me nervous, I say keep those posts coming.  
Yea I’m sure you’re right. This thread has been fantastic for sure. 

I am "guessing" within 48 hours.

Half hoping my source is wrong.  I'd be hoping they were right if I trusted our leadership.
Trying to decide if I should use a sick day tomorrow to hopefully not have to go in at all this week. Whatcha think? 

Trying to decide if I should use a sick day tomorrow to hopefully not have to go in at all this week. Whatcha think? 
I don't know.  I'm not the source, but this person informed of italy a day early.

I don't know any details about what it would even mean specifically.

ABC News

@ABC

BREAKING: New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he will sign executive order "limiting restaurants, bars and cafes to food take-out and delivery. Nightclubs, movie theaters, small theater houses, and concert venues must all close." https://abcn.ws/2Qyo91Z

On the contrary, I want to be there in person when the word comes down whatever day this week.  i don't want to get it second hand.

ETA - I'm a contractor so I often have to seek clarification on emails written for an audience of govt employees. 

Last edited by a moderator:
An out and out lockdown is actually not a bad idea.  I mean, if the economy is going to go to pot anyway, might as well just shut everybody in, demand they don't leave their homes and try to pick up the pieces 3-5 weeks later.  

I've been meaning to get back into Civilization 6, I can most definitely bury myself in that game for 3-4 weeks.

Going to attempt another grocery store run EARLY tomorrow AM. We have enough food for a few days, but if Icons intel comes through, the grocery stores are going to be slammed again. :ninja:
Yeah, I am hoping that there was a big rush this weekend, and people don't need to bombard the store tomorrow.  I forgot about our small chest freezer in the basement, so I figure I will stock up on a little bit I can put in there + top off some perishables we went through over the weekend.  (Depending on what they have in the store of course).  

Heading to store when it opens again in the morning. Just want to try to keep everything full. Also have a delivery scheduled for Tuesday— will edit that list based on what I get tomorrow. I do feel we won’t have supply chain issues with groceries, but it is good to have a few weeks of things and still try to re-up weekly. 

Bars and restaurants are closed in my county now. I worry about the local businesses. A lot are now going to do Curbside pickup and their own delivery service (or third party). What are your thoughts on how to handle food service and delivery?  Have them leave at the door, wash hands, take food out of containers and put on on plates, wash again and then eat (and tip well). 

People die for all kinds of reasons every day.  We make decisions everyday not to go to extreme measures to save every life possible.  We could ban cars, pools, fast food, soda and do all sorts of things which could save lives, but we don't. We build safer cars, we don:t ban them and we accept the fact that 40,000 people will still be killed by them.   We can"t just shut everything down indefinitely.  We need to work and make what we do safer. 
I can’t see government letting the virus run rampant by not taking these actions.  As hospitals struggled and deaths starting mounting there would be widespread condemnation of the government.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate Walmart but wife said everything else Was closed 
Might want to call first. They were changing their hours and aren’t staying open 24 hours right now. 

What about places like CVS or Walgreens? Are they still open 24/7?

I think he was saying nation wide no? You would get it first hand on TV right.
i want to hear from my bosses details/expectations about WFH. I currently am not allowed to WFH but there have been dry runs. And it's  a 20+ mile, 40 minute commute for me so any WFH would be a boon.

Details. man, details 

Users who are viewing this thread