What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

i am an older folk and you are being over the top take that to the bank bromigo 
Ok, everyone is different. Many elderly's happiness depends on little stuff we call non essential. And in these scary times, they can be helped mentally and emotionally by doing little things. If I'm offering to help the elderly lady downstairs and she says bottled water then I'm going. Chances are too I'll be adding more stuff to my pantry.

i am an older folk and you are being over the top take that to the bank bromigo 
Ok, everyone is different. Many elderly's happiness depends on little stuff we call non essential. And in these scary times, they can be helped mentally and emotionally by doing little things. If I'm offering to help the elderly lady downstairs and she says bottled water then I'm going. Chances are too I'll be adding more stuff to my pantry.
i agree that everyone is different so maybe stop making universal condemnations of others that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigo 

This is not the time to be meeting people's happiness needs. 

I'm familiar with older people, thanks. They can deal with whatever bottled water they have on hand and drink tap water for a little while. It's clean water. You drink it. We are making trips for people who genuinely need food, TP, medicine, and any other essentials. It's not about being inconvenienced, it's about the unnecessary encounters. I'd have no problem getting somebody Evian (second choice Fiji) under normal circumstances. In terms of mental health, we are touching base with these people and chatting with them.
So if someone wants store brand water it’s cool, but the other brand, in the same aisle ...is off limits?

The bolded really doesn't matter. Why focus on mortality rate? You don't agree that hospitalization rate is the lynchpin?
He's been focused on that, without evidence, for 3-4 weeks in here.  This isn't new for tonydead. Once Trump said it would end up under 1 percent, a mob of sycophants now are convinced the mortality rate is 1% or sub 1% despite any evidence of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize to the board for clogging this thread as much as I did with something as stupid as the bottled water issue. I’m done with it
Me too. I'll continue helping the elderly around me and those in the assisted living my friend's mom is in who are having a tough time, not just with this crisis but everything because of age related issues such as memory and cognitive decline. 

(addressing the house, not fatguyinalittlecoat)

A focus on mortality rate is wrong, anyway. Focus on hospitalizations, and strains on local healthcare systems across the country.
Right, this is what flattening the curve is all about. The fatality rates are something that can be examined in retrospect, the denominator is unknowable at the current time. The measures are being taken so that a hospitalization spike is hopefully avoided. 

Trump “I don’t think we will find it necessary to have a nationwide lockdown”
This is a no-win situation for Trump.  A lockdown destroys the economy but stops the virus.  Ignoring the virus keeps the economy running and leads to a massive amount of deaths. 

Trying to go down the middle is the "safe" choice and possibly the politically wise choice.  But it's not without large risks of it's own (economy still tanks and just a few less deaths)

👋 Nice job avoiding my question.

The reality is that information is really important right now.  There is a lot of it, some good some not so good.  Ive been using this forum to "read the tea leaves".  What I mean is I use it to correlate info from outside my area to things I know from my area.  I use this information to try to make informed decisions for my family.

If all we did was react to facts, we would be behind by the time information comes out.

For example - I filled up my gas tanks because of this thread (as well as other indicators).  Why?  First, I could think of a few scenario where stations may shut down.  Secondly, it really wasnt a big deal.  I mean, I go to the station and fill up on gas that will eventually get used anyway.  Whats the big deal?  The worst scenario would have been if I didnt fill up my gas and missed my chance.

Guess what?  I can still get gas today and Im not wounded over it.
Moderates have asked multiple times to not post rumors and post links to support statements. Think that is all people really want. 

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
This is a no-win situation for Trump.  A lockdown destroys the economy but stops the virus.  Ignoring the virus keeps the economy running and leads to a massive amount of deaths. 

Trying to go down the middle is the "safe" choice and possibly the politically wise choice.  But it's not without large risks of it's own (economy still tanks and just a few less deaths)
Agree

It's only 25 degrees out here, but it is sunny. I'm going for a nice long bike ride. Enjoy your Fijis all  :thumbup:

Stay happy and healthy all 
Nice. I avoid riding on roads but might start for the time being. The trails are wall to wall people. It's nearly impossible to ride. And a little anti-social distancing.

Did I hear them say 80% of people tested so far in US were negative?
I haven't read that but wouldn't surprise me if it's higher that. Flu is still going around along the common cold....and allergies. With all the news coverage of coronavirus, someone with a runny nose or a slight cough could be "omg, I got coronavirus!"

(Not saying people shouldn't get tested)

With the the NY soft lockdown, lots of people leaving Manhattan and renting Airbnb units in Hamptons snd Hudson Valley, raising rental rates 2-3x.
Express deliveries on the East End up this week over the norm.

(FedExGuy)

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

America already has a really bad problem with suicides.  If the economy tanks for months, people struggle to find work, pay bills, etc, there will be an adverse impact to mental health.

It's a difficult balancing act and unfortunately the president (Trump or whoever it would have been) will get criticized no matter what they do.

America already has a really bad problem with suicides.  If the economy tanks for months, people struggle to find work, pay bills, etc, there will be an adverse impact to mental health.

It's a difficult balancing act and unfortunately the president (Trump or whoever it would have been) will get criticized no matter what they do.
More precisely chose not to do in a timely fashion.

Educated estimates by smart people are saying that a 0.6% mortality rate is what we can expect when this is all over.
So just a shade under 2 million deaths over the next year?  With the majority being older or those with pre ex conditions?  We have 2.8m US deaths in a given year already - with the majority being older and those with pre ex conditions.  Tough question to ask, but will all of these “lockdowns” and the destruction of the economy be worth it when this is all over?

If I’m reading correctly state of Michigan isn’t waiving school hour requirements so kids could be going to schools well into the summer 

@Ilov80s hearing anything more about this? 
Yeah this is horrible, my daughter has the biggest case of "senioritis" already, just got her a Chromebook from the school district yesterday... I can't imagine what she's gonna do when she hears this.

Users who are viewing this thread