What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (4 Viewers)

Ok.

Regardless, this is frightening.

“If I get corona, I get corona,” Sluder told CBS News. “At the end of the day, I’m not gonna let it stop me from partying.”
Youth is wasted on the young...
That Sluder kid is super-lucky .... his "If I get corona I get corona" video should've gone viral and he should be an infamous household name by now. Makes me think the social-media mavens in his age group kind of think he's right, even if secretly.

(LINK)

alan drummond
@alandrummond2

So in ten minutes the evil genius who is one of our GP anaesthetists (with a PhD in diaphragmatic mechanics) increased our rural hospitals ventilator capacity from one to nine!!!
This is a colleague of the Ontario doctor I posted about earlier this week -- the guy that started working out how to put multiple people on the same ventilator. The tweet linked above has some photos of the multi-patient ventilator set-up.

I am a libertarian, not politically affiliated.  Yeah there need be responsibility - and we as a nation and society must be responsible for creating a situation where:

• We have an economy that doesnt provides a living wage for tens of millions. 
  • While I am not a fan of expanded welfare, a couple thoughts

Our nation engages in corporate welfare on any number of levels. From taxation (or lack thereof) to bailouts, to any number of other financial benefits for large corporations and key interests (fyi, you could consider organized labor an interest that in the end may help it's own members, but in many ways contributes to not lifting the national good. One example is how it is cost prohibitive to build transit in large part due to ridiculous and onerous labor provisions)
  • If we choose, as a nation, to not properly educate and provide the right skills, then WE have the responsibility to provide for folks who don't have the ability/skills to do it themselves.  We are failing on the education and skills training level. That's our collective responsibility
  • If we choose, as a nation, to not provide adequate access to affordable healthcare, then in a health crisis WE COLLECTIVELY must assume the responsibility for that failure.

[*]Finally, you seem to put the onus on individuals for living paycheck to paycheck.  Two thoughts because it's a shared responsibility

• When a huge swath of the population works 2 or more jobs, 3-5 jobs in a household!, just to make ends meet, HOW CAN THEY SAVE?
  • When we as a nation have all but halted new housing, especially attainably priced homes and apartments, WE HAVE TO TAKE COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY for housing costs that eat up a third, or more, of people's income.
  • When we create a society where the most affordable neighborhoods are located the furthest away from key employment, and when we double down on the lack of proximity by not having adequate transit, the cost burden for housing + transportation creates a situation where the blame absolutely is not on the household working a combined 120 hours plus a week to make ends meet.  It's selfish to blame others for these situations when our nation has forced them into that corner, imo.

For some, it's on them.  They don't save. They spend on luxuries or material items. 

But for most? We have created a structurally faulted economy where we give handouts to those who need it the least, while we constrain the benefits of a well oiled free market (too many stupid regulations, which we compensate for with corporate welfare), and subsequently have a lack of access to skills/education/housing/healthcare to enable people to "work hard and lift themselves up"
I agree with everything you said.

I want to start with healthcare costs and education costs.

That said, we are probably jamming up this thread ;).  Lets save the world in another one :)

I don't think we are overreacting, but I do think we are further along that curve than most suspect because of our lack of testing.  Does anyone know how widely the test was available in Italy?  I have no doubt we have more cases here than we know about due to the lack of tests.  If they were testing a larger percentage of their population than we are, the math says we actually have more cases proportionally missed and may not be as far behind on the curve compared to them.  All unknown and speculative obviously.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
It's not ideal. But you can't keep your family locked up forever.

I wouldn't be as worried about getting it from the puck as I'd be worried about getting it from a droplet from another kid.

He should wash his hands thoroughly the moment he comes inside the house, and you should keep disinfectant wipes by the door so you can wipe off the doorknob and anything else he may have touched.
No, but is a couple of weeks too much to ask?
We are all deluding ourselves if we think this is only going to last a couple of weeks.

This is going to be our way of life for the next 6-18 months, IMO. We won't be able to stay indoors forever.

I was wrong.

Early on, I posted in here that people were over reacting and made light of some things people were doing. I'd like to stand up and say I was wrong. I just didn't grasp the seriousness of this thing early on.

Anyway, carry on. This thread is awesome and I appreciate the info.

Miami Beach shutting down hotels, hostels, motels, etc and set a midnight to 5am curfew. They were operating at 10-20% capacity, normally it's 90%+ this time of year.

I wonder if the rest of the state will follow.

>> An emergency order signed by City Manager Jimmy Morales on Friday evening states that all “commercial lodging establishments” — including hotels, hostels, dormitories, motels and short-term rental units — must be “fully closed to guests and renters” by 11:59 p.m. on Monday. 

Our hotels have always been the lifeblood of our economy, so shuttering them is not something to do impulsively. But right now, as painful as it may be, the reality is we just cannot be a tourist destination,” said Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber in a statement. “Attracting visitors and tourists is just utterly incompatible with social distancing. <<

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article241382501.html?__twitter_impression=true

We are all deluding ourselves if we think this is only going to last a couple of weeks.

This is going to be our way of life for the next 6-18 months, IMO. We won't be able to stay indoors forever.
Again, it's not about staying indoors forever. It's about staying indoors for a few weeks so the healthcare systems has time to continue preparations and face smaller waves, spread out over longer time frames.

I was wrong.

Early on, I posted in here that people were over reacting and made light of some things people were doing. I'd like to stand up and say I was wrong. I just didn't grasp the seriousness of this thing early on.

Anyway, carry on. This thread is awesome and I appreciate the info.
You are still ahead of the curve.... tell your neighbors. :D

If number of deaths get bad, we'll shelter and come over it quicker.

If number of deaths remain low (as compared to Italy) it will drag out like you said.

If number of deaths stay steady we might just get bored with it after 3-6 months. 

Anybody got a link to what businesses can stay open in Illinois?  There was a pretty good PDF posted of the ones closed and open for PA.  Anything like that in IL?  Our company has a warehouse there and some of the top brass thinks they can keep the warehouse open.

Again, it's not about staying indoors forever. It's about staying indoors for a few weeks so the healthcare systems has time to continue preparations and face smaller waves, spread out over longer time frames.
After the first two weeks, they will announce that the curve has not flattened, and so we will all be expected to "shelter indoors" for another 2 weeks.

And then another 2 weeks after that. Then another 2 weeks, and so on.

But it's just not realistic. Eventually, people are going to start going outside again. They just are.

After the first two weeks, they will announce that the curve has not flattened, and so we will all be expected to "shelter indoors" for another 2 weeks.

But it's just not realistic. Eventually, people are going to start going outside again. They just are.
You can go outside. Just need to stay 6 ft apart from each other. The only thing that's changed is non essential businesses are closed.

It’s not just “going outside”, no chance people have enough food to last them, or enough money to buy additional food.  People will get fed up and go out to work or whatever’s needed to get money to acquire food.  If people don’t have an emergency supply of money, they certainly do r have an emergency supply of food and supplies.  

Well, since that's what you think - and you clearly know more than our elected leaders and medical professionals - let's just not even try then.

It’s not just “going outside”, no chance people have enough food to last them, or enough money to buy additional food.  People will get fed up and go out to work or whatever’s needed to get money to acquire food.  If people don’t have an emergency supply of money, they certainly do r have an emergency supply of food and supplies.  
Yeah I worry about this tipping point. That's when things can go south in a hurry. I live in Oakland, where all levels of society are represented, coupled with an understaffed policy force and dysfunctional city administration. Seems things are calm now. Will crime spike? Riots? Looting? If basic societal services decline or degrade, and access to common goods becomes challenging, I'm not sure how long the dam will hold.

Well, since that's what you think - and you clearly know more than our elected leaders and medical professionals - let's just not even try then.
It's not that I think we shouldn't try.

It's that I think that when the rest of the country realizes that "trying" was a failure, then they're going to be less likely to listen to those same elected leaders when they tell us that we need to try it for another 2 weeks.

I saw where some of the hospitals wised up and moved IV machines out to the hallways.  Now the nurses won't go through masks and gowns as fast.
My DIL is a contract nurse.  She has learned that in the hospital where she normally works (occasional one day contracts), nurses are basically using one mask throughout their shift.  In normal times, and ideally, they'd change masks when visiting each new patient.  Not good.  DIL is not taking contract jobs right now, given that she has 3 and 1/2 year old sons ...it's just not worth the risk (especially given the mask situation), despite her desire to help out.

If number of deaths get bad, we'll shelter and come over it quicker.

If number of deaths remain low (as compared to Italy) it will drag out like you said.

If number of deaths stay steady we might just get bored with it after 3-6 months. 
The more we stay in the longer it lasts. 

We are probably about 11 doubling periods to reach a peak. We have been doubling every 2 days. If we stay like this we would peak in April with a rate of cases that would overwhelm the health care system. I have heard we are trying to slow to 8 days. That makes the peak in June. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I worry about this tipping point. That's when things can go south in a hurry. I live in Oakland, where all levels of society are represented, coupled with an understaffed policy force and dysfunctional city administration. Seems things are calm now. Will crime spike? Riots? Looting? If basic societal services decline or degrade, and access to common goods becomes challenging, I'm not sure how long the dam will hold.
In SF and the Bay Area south police are monitoring that businesses comply. If not they are informed. Next up, in trouble. 

Users who are viewing this thread