Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

9 minutes ago, joffer said:

Doordash is just dropping on your doorstep and leaving

Local pizza place told me I’d have to meet the guy at the door and sign the receipt. 

“there is literally no chance of me doing that” 

...but we need the signature. 

“I’ll call someplace else then”

ok my boss said it’s fine. :loco: 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

It's not that I think we shouldn't try.

It's that I think that when the rest of the country realizes that "trying" was a failure, then they're going to be less likely to listen to those same elected leaders when they tell us that we need to try it for another 2 weeks.

At no point have I thought this is a two-week thing, and I'm not sure it's been communicated as such aside from our President, who not too long ago said this was a few cases that would miraculously disappear and all would be well. 

I do think as weather improves and we push through April and into May, the urge to go out and about will be too strong for some to overcome. That could be a problem.

58 minutes ago, kutta said:

I was wrong.

Early on, I posted in here that people were over reacting and made light of some things people were doing. I'd like to stand up and say I was wrong. I just didn't grasp the seriousness of this thing early on.

Anyway, carry on. This thread is awesome and I appreciate the info.

This is a pretty awesome post.

We could use more humility & graciousness. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

It's that I think that when the rest of the country realizes that "trying" was a failure, then they're going to be less likely to listen to those same elected leaders when they tell us that we need to try it for another 2 weeks.

Understandable, and I think it depends entirely on what happens in that initial "trying" period. Does the cluster hit? Big spike and now it's actually in the backyard? 

Either way, that first try of 2-3 weeks will have a big impact on supplies. Lots of mobilization by private companies ramping up production, military involvement, etc. Even the extra time for hospitals to add beds, devices (also seeing ramped up production), reconfigure wards, and tests to be produced/delivered/improved. 

14 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

My DIL is a contract nurse.  She has learned that in the hospital where she normally works (occasional one day contracts), nurses are basically using one mask throughout their shift.  In normal times, and ideally, they'd change masks when visiting each new patient.  Not good.  DIL is not taking contract jobs right now, given that she has 3 and 1/2 year old sons ...it's just not worth the risk (especially given the mask situation), despite her desire to help out.

Yup. I have some retired nurse friends that won't go in. Not enough supplies is the main reason.

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Laughing 1

15 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

That may be a good thing. Cruise ships are horrible polluters thanks to the cheap dirty fuel almost all of them use. Carnival alone emits almost 10 times more sulfur dioxide than all 270 million of Europe’s cars in a year.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

The more we stay in the long it lasts. 

We are probably about 11 doubling periods to reach a peak. We have been doubling every 2 days. If we stay like this we would peak in April with a rate of cases that would overwhelm the health care system. I have heard we are trying to slow to 8 days. That makes the peak in June. 

A hospital we work with in Maryland is working off of a model that the peak will be June/July 

8 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Hopefully everyone's listening to Fauci who's had to correct some statements made..

NY going off the rails fast. That’s scary. 

Gee if only someone could have predicted the densely populated melting pot and epicenter of the free world would have spread like this... 

So angry with our elected officials.  They should have shut us down a week ago. I’m no expert or alarmist, but boy has it been clear it is the right thing to do. Credit to other states like California for having the kahunas to do what needed doing and pressure the rest.

And don’t get me started on our federal elected officials and elements of the media that had downplayed this for political gain. Not to make this political. But my god. Literally thousands of lives at stake. That’s when character And responsibility are supposed to rise above personal gain and politics.  Just wildly disappointing.  Some dummies out there are still walking around saying this isn’t a big deal. A month ago?  Ok maybe. But now?  Come on. And that’s a direct result of what those politicians and media elements did.  

Sorry.  Not the place for it I know. Carry on. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 12
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

Man that’s a long time from now. Yikes. 

It sounds right to me. May/June seems like an optimistic peak scenarios. July/August if we do an average-to-good job.  And later if worse. And my faith in people is limited. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

Gee if into someone could have predicted the densely populated melting pot and epicenter of the free world would have spread like this. 

So angry with our elected officials.  They should have shut us down a week ago. I’m no expert or alarmist, but boy has it been clear it is the right thing to do. Credit to other states like California for having the kahunas to do what needed doing and pressure the rest.

And don’t get me started on our federal elected officials and elements of the media that had downplayed this for political gain. Not to make this political. By my god. Literally thousands of lives at stake. That’s when character And responsibility are supposed to rise above personal gain and politics.  Just wildly disappointing.  Some dummies out there are still walking around saying this isn’t a big deal. A month ago?  Ok maybe. But now?  Come on. And that’s a direct result of what those politicians and media elements did.  

Nah it’s the place for it. People are going to die because of their incompetence. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

It sounds right to me. May/June seems like an optimistic peak scenarios. July/August if we do an average-to-good job.  And later if worse. And my faith in people is limited. 

So we all have to stay locked up till July? I can but zero chance this country does that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Neurosurgeon on CNN. Started out feeling like a cold. 3 days later, fluish. Went to ER after talking to his buddies. Did flu test, not flu. But his blood test showed lymphocytes and platelets low then what type of virus, can't tell, assume coronavirus. Took test and it is.

• Sad 1

Virginia people - I don’t want to be one to spread fear, and this is only rumor, but I’m hearing from sources who would know - buy what you need tonight and tomorrow.  “Shelter in place” imminent.  

Edited to replace “lockdown” (which was the term sent to me, sorry about that)

Edited by matttyl

Just now, matttyl said:

Virginia people - I don’t want to be one to spread fear, and this is only rumor, but I’m hearing from sources who would know - buy what you need tonight and tomorrow.  Lockdown imminent.  

you're spreading fear unnecessarily.   shelter in place orders do not prohibit going to the store for groceries or other essentials.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, matttyl said:

Virginia people - I don’t want to be one to spread fear, and this is only rumor, but I’m hearing from sources who would know - buy what you need tonight and tomorrow.  Lockdown imminent.  

Lockdown or stay at home? CA is stay at home, not a lockdown. 

• Sad 1

On 3/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, Anarchy99 said:

So what would people recommend in this situation? One of our kids just finished a mission type project in Thailand. Upon completion, she started backpacking and is now in Laos and is scheduled to move on to Vietnam soon. She doesn’t really want to come home (would have to fly into Boston or New York), and would have to get a connecting flight from an unknown airport. She is not scheduled to fly home for a few more weeks (through Dubai). 

She doesn’t want to come home to a hot zone and be stuck inside for weeks on lockdown or mandatory quarantine. We are concerned she may get stuck in a country that will be travel restricted and she would get stuck somewhere (either in the country she is in or at an airport that flights may be stopped).

Thoughts on her staying there? Coming home instead? Going back to where she was?

Given the State Department mandate for Americans overseas to get back to the States or be prepared to ride it out in another country, daughter coming home. Bangkok to Tokyo to Minneapolis to Boston with lengthy layovers each step of the way. 

:scared:

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Lockdown or stay at home? CA is stay at home, not a lockdown. 

Sorry, what I heard was “lockdown”, but I’m sure it would be similar to CA or Pennsylvania.  Again, I don’t mean to spread fear, and at this point I’m sure we’ve all done what we can to prepare as best as we know how.  Take care of yourselves and each other.

ETA - Im sure the governor realizes there are enough people with guns in this state that a lockdown wouldn’t go over well.

Edited by matttyl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, matttyl said:

No one's shutting food stores.  A lockdown would be great IMO -- too many people aren't taking this seriously enough.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

So we all have to stay locked up till July? I can but zero chance this country does that. 

I left my house other than walking the neighborhood for the first time in a week today.  There was no noticeable difference in traffic and walmart parking lot looked like black friday.  Scary times 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

These "shelter in place" orders, other than shutting down non-essential businesses, are not doing anything other than ordering the recommendations already in place.  They are enforced, at most, by a misdemeanor...which  most likely won't be enforced, because courts are shut down and police have better things to do than cite you for driving to a friend's house for a barbecue.

This is about personal responsibility.   That's all.   If you need government to tell you to do the right thing, you're probably one of those people that says the government can't tell you what to do.

Washington's approach of constant messaging for voluntary compliance and peer pressure seems appropriate at this point.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Fantastic video from Marriott President and CEO

Worth the 5 minute watch.  Forgoing salary for rest of the year.  Big cuts to executive salaries.  I would hope other businesses follow suit and do the right thing.

Only want to make a simple point that the CEO of Marriott is choosing to call the virus COVID-19.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

No one's shutting food stores.  A lockdown would be great IMO -- too many people aren't taking this seriously enough.

I don't know how you'd do this. For example kids out of school that rely on free breakfast and lunch meals to live would be your next casualty. So many volunteers are keeping those poor people alive in many cases.

• Thinking 1

19 minutes ago, Otis said:

Gee if into someone could have predicted the densely populated melting pot and epicenter of the free world would have spread like this. 

And don’t get me started on our federal elected officials and elements of the media that had downplayed this for political gain. Not to make this political. By my god. Literally thousands of lives at stake. That’s when character And responsibility are supposed to rise above personal gain and politics.  Just wildly disappointing.  Some dummies out there are still walking around saying this isn’t a big deal. A month ago?  Ok maybe. But now?  Come on. And that’s a direct result of what those politicians and media elements did.  

So I wake up each morning to Cuomo's press conference. I find him very impressive, and he seems to have a handle on things. Pretty clear he has an issue with DeBlasio. I'm new to Cuomo though. Am I misreading?

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Edited above - my bad. But liquor stores are state owned/operated (and closed Sundays already).  Also, could be a(nother) run on food stuffs when it goes in force - if you need diapers, formula, milk, bread, yada yada, gas, and haven’t already done so, do it soon.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, matttyl said:

Edited above - my bad. But liquor stores are state owned/operated (and closed Sundays already).  Also, could be a(nother) run on food stuffs when it goes in force - if you need diapers, formula, milk, bread, yada yada, gas, and haven’t already done so, do it soon.

Again, no.   That's exactly what causes runs and shortages.  This is the worst message you can be conveying to people at this point.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jay Inslee's press conference today was interesting.   Looked at data from our toll roads.  Major toll road traffic near Seattle down about 60% since March 1.   That's very encouraging.   Data regarding testing was awful.    20,000 tests, with a 7% positive rate.

6 minutes ago, tamales said:

Agreed no chance

Totally agree. A small percentage of the people I know have self quarantined the last week or two but it accomplishes nothing while so many others are business as usual or raging on Spring Break or at a bar on Patty’s Day. No way you get everyone to give up the freedom we are all used to, especially leading into Summer when everyone will want to be out and about. 

• Like 2

Inslee NOT shuttering WA or even King County today in his conference. Asked parents to threaten kids with their inheritance if they are still hanging out with friend. Telling businesses that they have to let 65 years and older work from him. 

He is a freaking xxxx.

Edited by tonydead

12 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Sorry, what I heard was “lockdown”, but I’m sure it would be similar to CA or Pennsylvania.  Again, I don’t mean to spread fear, and at this point I’m sure we’ve all done what we can to prepare as best as we know how.  Take care of yourselves and each other.

ETA - Im sure the governor realizes there are enough people with guns in this state that a lockdown wouldn’t go over well.

Point is, stock up so you don't have to go out, right? You're best served if you treat this like a lockdown.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, matttyl said:

In these lockdown situations don’t they still allow essential personnel to work and courthouses have essential employees for real estate recordation etc?

23 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

At some point we need to start handing out long time-outs for this sort of post.

Shelter in place order for Cali came out right after my comments about the fireman alerting my niece to significant changes forthcoming.  And there you were, crying about getting me banned for it.  For a "LONG" time.  What a baby.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Virginia people - I don’t want to be one to spread fear, and this is only rumor, but I’m hearing from sources who would know - buy what you need tonight and tomorrow.  “Shelter in place” imminent.  

Exited to replace “lockdown” (which was the term sent to me, sorry about that)

3 or 4 people said similar things yesterday that didn’t happen today. I’m not believing any of it until it happens. 

1 minute ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Shelter in place order for Cali came out right after my comments about the fireman alerting my niece to significant changes forthcoming.  And there you were, crying about getting me banned for it.  For a "LONG" time.  What a baby.

Didn’t you say entire country?

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

Inslee NOT shuttering WA or even King County today in his conference. Asked parents to threaten kids with their inheritance if they are still hanging out with friend. Telling businesses that they have to let 65 years and older work from him. 

He is a freaking moron. 

Totally disagree.  We're making data driven decisions that make sense.   Shelter in place orders for the sake of having an order in place doesn't make sense.  Inslee is strongly encouraging voluntary compliance but also recognizes nobody's going to call in the national guard or arrest people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

3 or 4 people said similar things yesterday that didn’t happen today. I’m not believing any of it until it happens. 

And you can still buy stuff with “shelter in place” anyways.  

A case study of a laid off contracted airline employee.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241382471.html?__twitter_impression=true

>> Contracted airline workers are the backbone of the airline industry,” said Helene O’Brien, Florida Director for 32BJ SEIU (Service Employees International Union). “They care for our elderly and disabled loved ones, they move our baggage, they clean planes from national and international destinations, and they interact with hundreds of thousands of passengers from around the world. They are among the most at risk in the face of this global pandemic, and they are also the least able to go without pay and benefits during this time of crisis.” <<

• Laughing 1

24 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Totally disagree.  We're making data driven decisions that make sense.   Shelter in place orders for the sake of having an order in place doesn't make sense.  Inslee is strongly encouraging voluntary compliance but also recognizes nobody's going to call in the national guard or arrest people. 

I agree with what you said. He’s still a xxxxx,. 

Edited by tonydead