Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Any idea how many tests?

Full c17 Loads have generally been ~500k kits (~25,,000lbs cargo after removing ~5klbs of support items like pallets/straps). Source: direct from c17 Loadmaster. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Thanks 2

Me today: I've had a slight cough all week, bordering on nothing. Didn't have any cough yesterday, but maybe the slightest of sore throats. Today: no sore throat, and just a slight tickle in the throat with a nonproductive, barely even a cough. Should I go to the store to get eggs tomorrow after I cook breakfast and run out today? <-question I've been considering... certainly wouldn't go if I felt poorly, had a worse cough, etc.

Texts just now:

GF: good morning, love. What are you up to?

Me: no plans. You?

Her: I'm going to Lowe's to get pine straw for the yard? Do you think that's ok?

Me: Sure (we talked about this last night, and it isn't worth arguing over)

Her: Good. I'm going to go for a mani/pedi later, and come over after that for dinner.'

Me: https://media.giphy.com/media/Ow59c0pwTPruU/giphy.gif

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Full c17 Loads have generally been ~500k kits (13,000lbs cargo after removing ~2klbs of support items like pallets/straps). Source: direct from c17 Loadmaster. 

That sounds good but this from twitter doesn’t:

“Health officials in New York City and Los Angeles County are signaling a change in local strategy when it comes to Coronavirus testing: recommending that doctors avoid testing patients except in cases where a test result would significantly change the course of treatment.”

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Politician Spock said:

IMHO, there are still a lot of stockholders holding on to the "it's like the flu", the "death count is low", and the "we should just let it run and let a significant portion of the older population die" mindsets. In fact, I think the vast majority of people who are holding on to those mindsets do so because of their portfolios. And those mindsets dominated the New York City area, causing leadership there to act to slow. 

The market is no where near its bottom yet. Once those ridiculous mindsets are eradicated, then the market can be priced properly. 

A lot of very, very intelligent people would disagree with you 

• Sad 1

Just now, Capella said:

“Health officials in New York City and Los Angeles County are signaling a change in local strategy when it comes to Coronavirus testing: recommending that doctors avoid testing patients except in cases where a test result would significantly change the course of treatment.”

:( 

We are so so bad at this. 

• Like 3

On 3/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, Keerock said:

My 80 y/o step-mom (married my dad 40 years ago) taken to the hospital in Sarasota with chest pains.  Now scheduled for a triple bypass tomorrow.  No travel, no visitors. Dad can’t stay with her.  😡😢

Surgery went well... she's recovering now. Expected to be in the hospital for a week or so.  

Absolutely no visitors... not even my dad.  Dad said he heard a woman telling security that her husband was not expected to live but they still wouldn't let her up to see him :cry:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Unbelievable 

1 minute ago, gruecd said:

A lot of very, very intelligent people would disagree with you 

A lot of very, very intelligent people waited too long to shut down NYC.

Total cases per 1 million of population:

Italy    779
Switzerland    715
New York City    661
Spain    543
Germany 258
Iran    245

2 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Anyone who has cold/flu/CORVID-19 should stay home anyway (and isolate themselves from rest of family) unless they develop serious symptoms.

Cool but we’ll never know how many had it or can even effectively ask those people to Quarantine. 

1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:
3 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Anyone who has cold/flu/CORVID-19 should stay home anyway unless they develop serious symptoms.

Correct. But people that havent tested positive yet won't stay home. 

People that test positive and feel fine probably wont either. 

I would bet there is a drastic difference in people's willingness to follow orders between

1) You tested positive. Self quarantine for 14 days.

and

2) You have all the symptoms, but we can't test you, so we are not 100% sure. Self quarantine for 14 days

• Like 3

Just now, Walking Boot said:

Why waste a hospital test today on someone who likely has it, and, even if they don't, would get the same treatment either way? 

Because if people don't know for sure, they will likely act a lot more stupidly than if they knew they had it

1 hour ago, fruity pebbles said:

We are running out of masks as well. Also told to reuse our mask for the entire day unless you are right at the surgical field. Also running out of disinfectant wipes for the tables etc after surgery. They have rounded up all the wipes in the operating room and are going to be using them to wipe down the papr hoods to reuse. We’ve gone back to using basically soap and water to wipe things down. 

Stay safe. Thank you for what you do. Xx

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know if China. Germany, and South Korea are as limiting in the info they put out about people that are positive? 

We literally get nothing anymore here in wisconsin unless the victim consents to it. I know washnigton was pretty good originally, but I think even they have moved to more generic reporting. 

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Why waste a hospital test today on someone who likely has it, and, even if they don't, would get the same treatment either way? 

Save them for containment protocols. 

In an ideal world, there'd be enough tests for containment protocols. This is a signal of what we've suspected and spells disaster........that we are way too late to be able to use testing for containment. 

The hospitals are making the right call given the situation. It's just depressing.

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Doug B said:

No ... he’s using the “likes” function to drop smilies. Ignore function doesn’t catch those.

I was going to ask him why he thought my serious posts was funny but forgot. I have noticed that he's clicked the sad face on some that are sad, so not sure what the pattern is.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot said:

At the point of when the test would be administered, they're likely being admitted to the hospital. Because the treatment is as if they have a full blown case. 

In China they needed to know so they could send a team of people to do contact tracing and test all the contacts.

8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Not true. CA's lockdown isnt much of a lockdown. I havent read new york's yet, but my guess is it is the same.

Here's a good article of what CA is doing, for now at least.. Lockdown and shelter in place are words that should not be used yet. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.vcstar.com/amp/2883998001

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Does anybody know if China. Germany, and South Korea are as limiting in the info they put out about people that are positive? 

We literally get nothing anymore here in wisconsin unless the victim consents to it. I know washnigton was pretty good originally, but I think even they have moved to more generic reporting. 

Part of what helped S.Korea, is they threw whatever version of HIPAA they may have had out the window. 

I think they even had an app tracking the movement of positives.

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, GROOT said:

I also noticed people aren't keeping distance. I went to Sam's where a huge cluster formed at the door where the employee was checking receipts. I told the manager it isn't really a good idea.

A little surprised the receipt-checking thing is still going on. So ... if they stop receipt-checking, what's the downside? They get robbed blind constantly and run out of inventory too fast? That's a function the club stores absolutely cannot waive right now?

4 hours ago, Otis said:

Is anyone here in the "lockdown" area in California?  Can you tell us what is open/what is not, and what is permitted?  Basically the NY "pause" starts tomorrow night, and I'm just trying to figure out what we'll be able to easily get after that.  I imagine everyone is going to be thinking the same and there's going to be a huge run on stores today.  

I'm asking my parents and some of our elderly neighbors for shopping lists today and will basically just spend the day making store runs for everyone.  Those people should not be out at this point.  It's getting too serious.

I posted a good article link on page 388.

32 minutes ago, Doug B said:

No ... he’s using the “likes” function to drop smilies. Ignore function doesn’t catch those.

Well, I’m reserving that same smiley for him he posts about himself or loved one  being ill. 

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Exactly. That's why they should save the tests. 

If someone walks into the ER at full blown covid flu symptoms, and whether they actually have it, or the regular flu or pneumonia, you'd give them the same treatment procedures, don't waste a test to confirm what exactly you're treating them for. At that point its just for the paperwork. 

I wasn’t agreeing with you.  They need to be tested so they can be treated appropriately.

Just now, CurlyNight said:

Here's a good article of what CA is doing, for now at least..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.vcstar.com/amp/2883998001

California's order, and I suspect New York's as well, is about as far as you can reasonably go without inciting panic, which may exacerbate the spread of COVID. If you've got some common sense and some smarts, you can discern that the message is "get your $%#@ in order and stay home." 

THIS MESSAGE APPLIES TO EVERYBODY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU LIVE IN CA OR NY! (forgive the all caps) We are just more forward-leaning, particularly in the absence of needed (IMO) aggressive national government policy.

Just because you don't live here does not mean you live in a safer area. You may have fewer exposures and confirmed cases, but it's coming to your area. This thing doesn't know borders.

Stock up and stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, [icon] said:
43 minutes ago, Capella said:

Any idea how many tests?

Full c17 Loads have generally been ~500k kits (~25,,000lbs cargo after removing ~5klbs of support items like pallets/straps). Source: direct from c17 Loadmaster. 

This checks out with what was reported about the first Jack-Ma-financed test-kit load that flew in to Memphis earlier in the week -- ~500,000 kits.

15 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Why do you think that? Because of the plastic? I have seen some other buses in other areas with those too. 

I was just kidding. No idea. I used to take both buses quite often when I lived there. 

1 minute ago, bradyfan said:

You heard the story from South Korea?  People were waiting in a very long line to buy face masks.  One guy in line revealed that he had tested positive and everyone around him Immediately jumped back in shock.  The man explained he had to buy masks so as to not infect his family.

Precisely! I need to go to Costco, wait in line to get in the store, wait in line to buy the stuff, and in the meanwhile expose myself to probably hundreds of persons, some of whom who may test positive.  And I'd argue that the dummies that are desperate to buy TP for whatever reason have a higher exposure rate because they obviously lack good judgement.

15 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Not true. CA's lockdown isnt much of a lockdown. I havent read new york's yet, but my guess is it is the same.

What do you mean by this? Not much of a lockdown? Dude, streets, freeways, stores, neighborhoods etc around here are a ghost town. People are doing an amazing job following this. Almost seems overboard. Maybe 3 people walking the dog in the neighborhood at 7pm. I have 120K people in my city. Everyone crossing the streets and almost seem reluctant to breathe to say hi.  Everyone keeping social distancing. Yes, people going on walks to get some air/exercise but that is it. What more of a lockdown do you suggest?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamny said:

I know it's tough on some of you but I really love the interactions with the elderly parents. It offers a much needed comic relief in all of this. Keep 'em coming!

spoke with my mom last week and expressed frustration with the way Trump had handled the CV response.  we hadn't discussed politics in several years and I had no idea what she thought of Trump.  she immediately chastised me and said he's the only one who can save us from ruin.

she went on to say she doesn't have time to watch news but stays informed by "reading headlines and watching youtube videos".

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Sandeman said:

California's order, and I suspect New York's as well, is about as far as you can reasonably go without inciting panic, which may exacerbate the spread of COVID. If you've got some common sense and some smarts, you can discern that the message is "get your $%#@ in order and stay home." 

THIS MESSAGE APPLIES TO EVERYBODY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU LIVE IN CA OR NY! (forgive the all caps) We are just more forward-leaning, particularly in the absence of needed (IMO) aggressive national government policy.

Just because you don't live here does not mean you live in a safer area. You may have fewer exposures and confirmed cases, but it's coming to your area. This thing doesn't know borders.

Stock up and stay home.

It could lead to grocery stores and pharmacies open only if it gets really bad. I read Trump is considering a 2 week lockdown. Who knows. If this is on route to become more of a disaster than it is now, I think this is on the table. You can have limits on everything, including number of people in the stores at a time. 2 weeks isn't really that long if you think about it. I've been in much longer periods of time when I was going through cancer treatments. It may come to we have to let go of the don't fear and panic mode in order to not be worse than disaster. Last night I read we are going to be #1 in the world with cases. We may be right now..

• Thinking 1

52 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

I went yesterday at lunch time and it was more crowded than a normal weekend.  Of course TP/paper towel/tissue aisle was completely empty.  Rice and dried beans were all gone.  Very low supply of pasta and canned foods. Meat section had only few packs each of sausages, chuck roasts, and racks of pork ribs. Fresh produce was a little better - plenty of broccoli available, and seafood section looked normal. Egg, bread and cheese shelves were half full.  I did not check the water & juice aisle but milk and OJ were okay.  The store only put out 10 items at a time of the most popular products that they could restock.

Yeah, you reminded me. The paper products were long gone. I noticed on the way past but wasn’t looking to buy any