What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Lol, ok. It's mathematically and scientifically impossible for this to have only arrived here recently if it's as contagious as is being reported. Reports of a contagion rate which I fully embrace as true. The panic inducing reporting of the spread rate while trying to act like it's all happening in some narrow window is a neat trick though.
I haven't caught up on this conversation, but anyone whose conclusions are differing from basically the rest of the world is probably mistaken.

yeah, in my haste, didn't mean to sound like I was panicking. Totally not. However I wanted, for myself, to grab a few things so that hopefully I don't have to leave my home at all for several weeks. And I wanted to do that now, rather than fight the inevitable ensuing crowd later. I think folks might be a tad sensitive up in here and adding tone to posts that's not there. 

At any rate, got a couple cases of beer, and a couple of fifths of good bourbon, so I'm ready to hunker with my two kids. 

Stay safe, GBs. 
Thank you. And everyone who rolled their eyes at you should be apologizing - unlikely they will. 

I have a title, but I just tell people I'm the maintenance manager.  

the order specifically exempts people doing maintenance of buildings, which even though I don't really do the work, I manage the group who does.
I'm sorry you have to work onsite and I hope it's possible for you to take as many precautions as possible.

Maintenance of buildings is important work, and I'm sure many people are thankful for what you are doing, me included.

Last edited by a moderator:
"New York will start implementing the trial drugs to treat Coronavirus.

NY has acquired:

- 70,000 Hydroxychloroquine

- 10,000 Zithromax

- 750,000 Chloroquine"

LINK

Recheck your math 
Have some math. Any.

You can't say on one hand this is highly contagious and then base numbers going forward on the premise that it just arrived here. You've got zero credibility if that's your starting point. It's sheer panic inducement. We weren't testing for this in December, January, or February. But with this rate of contagion, it's statistically impossible to say we didn't have a lot of un-diagnosed cases with the freedom of travel we had during that time period.

At what point do we realize this is been in the U.S. for months? As contagious as this is, with people coming and going freely from China to the US in November, December, and January, it's obvious that this would have been running rampant throughout the country all winter. Since no one is attempting to calculate how many people had it and recovered before a single test was run, how accurate can it possibly be to make projections about the number of people we can expect to have it in coming weeks? We should be trying to make accurate assessments but that's simply not possible if we base our math upon the notion that day 1 occurred here in the past few weeks. I saw Cuomo throw out the numbers of 40-80% of all American will get this in the coming months. If you're not factoring in the number of people who had it from November to February, it's simply based on bad math. That's not me faulting Cuomo. He needs people to "get it" when it comes to people doing their part to stop the spread. But the reality is far more people have had this than anyone is calculating.
That’s why the tests need to be also checking for antibodies, not just the active virus.  A negative test in and of itself isn’t helpful long-term unless you also know that you’ve already had it.

Have some math. Any.

You can't say on one hand this is highly contagious and then base numbers going forward on the premise that it just arrived here. You've got zero credibility if that's your starting point. It's sheer panic inducement. We weren't testing for this in December, January, or February. But with this rate of contagion, it's statistically impossible to say we didn't have a lot of un-diagnosed cases with the freedom of travel we had during that time period.
Exactly.    There’s millions that have this right now, and people are overrunning hospitals with the common cold because people freaked them out 

This is from the Ohio FAQ:

Will grocery stores be open?

Yes, essential services will still be operational including, but not limited to:

Grocery stores
Gas stations
Pharmacies
Police stations
Fire stations
Hospitals, clinics and healthcare operations
Garbage/sanitation
Public transportation
Public benefits (i.e. SNAP, Medicaid) hotlines
Thanks

Ill be interested to see how this plays out. Your list here is pretty much what I expected when Pa announced thurs night 

When it all shook out nothing is really closed except entertainment type businesses 

That is a bummer... unfortunately not a very satisfactory answer to that question on the FAQ site:

What if I think my business should be closed but I'm still being asked to operate?

Essential businesses will remain open during the Stay at Home order to provide services that are vital to the lives of Ohioans. Those businesses include, but are not limited to, pharmacies, certain government offices, and restaurants providing take-out meals. If you work for an essential business, you should continue to practice social distancing and should stay at home outside of work hours. If you believe your business is nonessential but are still being asked to show up to work, you may discuss with your employer.
Will be having that discussion tomorrow as I go in to pick up a few things and a second monitor... Maybe the business can be "essential", but me being onsite is absolutely not "essential" other than avoiding having an adult conversation with employees who CAN'T take their press home and what not.  Getting as many people out of our buildings as possible and keeping the business running should have been done at LEAST a week ago.  

Have some math. Any.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. We know the first documented case arrived on January 15th when a man flew into Washington from Wuhan.  That was two months ago.  It is highly contagious.  Those are the facts, I don’t know what else to tell you

There’s been some anecdotal reports that lupus patients are unable to obtain necessary chloroquine. I hope this isn’t connected. 
Yeah I’m sure it’s totally unrelated.   There aren’t people buying fish tank additives for $500 on eBay despite having no symptoms whatsoever because they think it’s a preventative 

I have no idea what you’re talking about. We know the first documented case arrived on January 15th when a man flew into Washington from Wuhan.  That was two months ago.  It is highly contagious.  Those are the facts, I don’t know what else to tell you
Unreal that you think the first documented case means that was the first case here or that it wasn't spreading wildly since any random date or even January 15th if you want to pinpoint that date. WE WEREN'T TESTING ON ANY WIDE SCALE.

We have no clue how widespread this has been without the testing. Any given how contagious it is, it would be absurd to think tens or even hundreds of thousands of people didn't come down with this since it first arrived. Whether that be December or January.

Unreal that you think the first documented case means that was the first case or that it wasn't spreading wildly since any random date or even January 15th if you want to pinpoint that date. WE WEREN'T TESTING ON ANY WIDE SCALE.
Especially when they keep preaching the mantra of incubation periods and asymptomatic cases 

That’s why the tests need to be also checking for antibodies, not just the active virus.  A negative test in and of itself isn’t helpful long-term unless you also know that you’ve already had it.
I think this is key as well.

If people know they've already had it and recovered from it, that frees them up to start helping in whatever way - work, get groceries for people, etc.

I think the Red Cross should start testing all donated blood for the antibodies - the process is already in place for this to be done, the blood is tested after donation for HIV and other things.

As a bonus it would be an incentive for people to donate blood, which is currently in very short supply.

There would be a requirement needed for people to wait xx days (14?) without symptoms after having tested positive for the antibody, to make sure they are past the point of being able transmit the virus.

I'm sorry you have to work onsite and I hope it's possible for you to take as many precautions as possible.

Maintenance of buildings is important work, and I'm sure many people are thankful for what you are doing, me included.
Thank you.  We had already decided last week to go to two shifts without overlap.  If one shift should be affected, the other will still be able to maintain the ballpark.

So, there will be about 15-20 people in a 2 million sq ft building.  I think we'll be able to keep our distance.   :bowtie:

Will be having that discussion tomorrow as I go in to pick up a few things and a second monitor... Maybe the business can be "essential", but me being onsite is absolutely not "essential" other than avoiding having an adult conversation with employees who CAN'T take their press home and what not.  Getting as many people out of our buildings as possible and keeping the business running should have been done at LEAST a week ago.  
Sincerely, good luck with that conversation.

Maybe today's statewide order will cause them to take things more seriously now.

I wish these celebs would provide more information. Had he been in contact with anyone who was diagnosed? Had he traveled to any places where the virus was prevalent? Was he really "asymptomatic", or did he maybe have some slight muscle pains or some other gut feeling that made him think that he might have it? Are his staffers and family members getting tested now?

I think this is key as well.

If people know they've already had it and recovered from it, that frees them up to start helping in whatever way - work, get groceries for people, etc.

I think the Red Cross should start testing all donated blood for the antibodies - the process is already in place for this to be done, the blood is tested after donation for HIV and other things.

As a bonus it would be an incentive for people to donate blood, which is currently in very short supply.

There would be a requirement needed for people to wait xx days (14?) without symptoms after having tested positive for the antibody, to make sure they are past the point of being able transmit the virus.
Well what about all the other stuff people said?    That it’s so dangerous because it evolved so rapidly to transmit between humans.   And has already evolved into multiple strains.      People that have antibodies aren’t safe either assuming this.    No one is and we’re all gonna die.   

I wish these celebs would provide more information. Had he been in contact with anyone who was diagnosed? Had he traveled to any places where the virus was prevalent? Was he really "asymptomatic", or did he maybe have some slight muscle pains or some other gut feeling that made him think that he might have it? Are his staffers and family members getting tested now?
Yeah this part is a conspiracy.   But the rest of what they tell you,  all true.

Clinical trials don't happen overnight. We won't have good data soon enough to make informed decisions, but the drug will likely be used as an act of desperation in some places.
Chloroquine likely won't work because  COVID-19 patients' immune systems are being decimated.  Chloroquine attacks bone marrow where immune cells grow and it also has many toxicities.  I know they've tried it without success on the patients who were injected with Leronlimab last week--these are severe cases.

Unreal that you think the first documented case means that was the first case here or that it wasn't spreading wildly since any random date or even January 15th if you want to pinpoint that date. WE WEREN'T TESTING ON ANY WIDE SCALE.

We have no clue how widespread this has been without the testing. Any given how contagious it is, it would be absurd to think tens or even hundreds of thousands of people didn't come down with this since it first arrived. Whether that be December or January.
You seem like you’re trying to come up with all the answers on your own, when they are already there.  

Also, you’re all over the place.  I have no idea what your point is.  It doesn’t spread wildly when it first starts because it’s a novel virus.  It came over from China one person at a time. Each person infected 2-5 people, that’s how viruses spread.  

Well what about all the other stuff people said?    That it’s so dangerous because it evolved so rapidly to transmit between humans.   And has already evolved into multiple strains.      People that have antibodies aren’t safe either assuming this.    No one is and we’re all gonna die.   
You actually have a point. Hopefully months from now we can all appreciate that most of us are ok.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
You seem like you’re trying to come up with all the answers on your own, when they are already there.  

Also, you’re all over the place.  I have no idea what your point is.  It doesn’t spread wildly when it first starts because it’s a novel virus.  It came over from China one person at a time. Each person infected 2-5 people, that’s how viruses spread.  
I'm using common sense. Something that seems entirely left out of much of the numbers being thrown around. You can't on one hand show how contagious this is and then somehow say it lay dormant for 2 months until we suddenly started testing for it.

We also need a serologic test so we can tell who's had the disease and get them back to work to try and alleviate some of the economic damage.  You could also put healthcare workers who have had it on the front line to try and protect those who haven't had it. 

The point is it was here way longer than you guys are suggesting and using these exponential equations it’s impossible there aren’t millions already.   

Question, I can't keep up with the thread:

My dad was asking the good question of how it's possible that, according to Cuomo, 40-80% of NYers will be infected.  That's 4 million people or more.  If you look at the numbers in China, as a percentage if came nowhere near that.  How is it possible???  That can't be right?

It was a good question from my old man.  What's the answer here?  

Thanks 

There’s only 2 real possibilities to me:

1).  It doesn’t spread nearly as aggressively as they say

2). It doesn’t show symptoms or kill as aggressively as they say

Those are about the only 2 possibilities.

My dad was asking the good question of how it's possible that, according to Cuomo, 40-80% of NYers will be infected.  That's 4 million people or more.  If you look at the numbers in China, as a percentage if came nowhere near that.  How is it possible???  That can't be right?

Thanks 
Part, but not all of the answer, is flawed math. 

That said, as I mentioned before, I don't fault Cuomo for trying to open people's eyes.

Everyone has to assume they have it. Keep your distance. Do not go anywhere near anyone with a compromised immune system or already have health issues. People who have the symptoms are supposed to contact their doctor and get permission to be tested. Again assume you have it. Don't go to the hospital unless you have a respiratory health issue or compromised immune system. Its all the people who do not need to be going to the hospital that are going to delay those who need the help. 

Just stay home and only go out for necessities. 

On a side note, I don't think the supermarket and the other workers who are allowed to stay open are getting enough appreciation. These cashiers and baggers who are usually the younger crowd can not social distance and are touching everything because they have to. I wish they get their recognition. Some chains are already giving them raises.  They are the unsung heroes here.
My kid got a $50 gift card from Publix today. That’s nice, considering she just started there a couple of weeks ago. I doubt it will be the last little bonus she gets.

Thanks 
China basically implemented martial law and locked down the place.  Idiots in NY were still going out to bars on Saturday.  

China basically implemented martial law and locked down the place.  Idiots in NY were still going out to bars on Saturday.  
They didn’t do this for a decent time in.   China knew about it, killed off the evidence, held their Chinese New Year and let billions of people gather.   And then released a bunch of scary #### to the world. 

Then they locked down 1 city and magically they have no cases.   Yeah makes total sense. 

Thanks 
a) China did something about it, and/or

b) China is lying, and

c) 40-80% needs a time frame attached to it

Thanks 
China locked down pretty fast, and when they did it was not with half measures.

People were severely restricted for any trips outside the home.

Infected people were separated from their family, and kept that way until they were fully recovered.

Contact tracing was rigorously done for every infected person found, and anyone who had been in contact with them was tracked to make sure they had not become infected.

Infected people were separated from their family, and kept that way until they were fully recovered.

Contact tracing was rigorously done for every infected person found, and anyone who had been in contact with them was tracked to make sure they had not become infected.
ETA - China certainly could have locked down much sooner than they did, but once the scale of the problem was acknowledged, they didn't incrementally start imposing remediation steps, they did it in one big bang.

Oh and there were some citizen reporters that were trying to report the situation in Wuhan.   One guy that got some fame for doing some reporting on the Hong Kong situation.    Him and one other guy.    And they disappeared off of the map, most likely incarcerated by the Chinese.    They didn’t seem to like communism from what I saw.     And claimed to dislike it so much they were willing to expose themselves to the virus and risk their lives to report honestly.  

I’m just not sure you can trust a lot out of China here...

This just doesn't feel like a satisfactory answer to me.  I mean 40-80% of everyone in NY is a CRAPTON of people.  How are they getting to that number?  Cuomo has been saying it for days.  Is it just a scare tactic?  Is it something else?  And how is that even possible given that we're all, for the most part, on lockdown?

And honestly, given the lack of testing, I bet this is all heavily skewed towards deaths.   I bet they’re more likely to test a dead person for corona right now, so they can track down everyone that person has been in contact with, than they are someone with corona like symptoms. 

Users who are viewing this thread