Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

33 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

How are you going to get a drug addict to sit still for 14 days? 

Yes let’s use obscure examples for 0.000001% of the population and use that as a reason to not do it.

Edited by bagger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Would be a heckuva challenge under the Constitution, too. I assume emergency powers exist for the executive branch to invoke, but I don’t know exactly what they entail and exactly how they get executed.

Yes. This is what we should worry about. Constitutionality. 

• Laughing 1

18 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Would be a heckuva challenge under the Constitution, too. I assume emergency powers exist for the executive branch to invoke, but I don’t know exactly what they entail and exactly how they get executed.

Pandemics are included as a reason.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mr roboto said:

Actually yes we do need to be very careful with the Constitution and what it has provided all of us.  Assuming this does not go zombie apocalypse, there will be the vast majority that will survive. 

10 minutes ago, bagger said:

Yes let’s use obscure examples for 0.000001% of the population and use that as a reason to not do it.

You're severely underestimating the number of drug addicts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:
1 hour ago, mr roboto said:

WHY DONT WE HAVE A STRICT NATIONAL LOCKDOWN?!?? For ####s sake. 

This *1000000000

Shut. It. All. Down. Now.

No flights. Only essentials running.

Complete federal lockdown. For 28 days.

Give the people a plan. A target and an exit strategy. That will help enforcement and stabilize markets and the economy.

What exactly are we waiting for? What will it take to shut it all down?

100K confirmed? 1 million? A complete collapse of the health care system? 

WTF are we waiting for?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

You're severely underestimating the number of drug addicts.

So what?

1 minute ago, Dope said:

followed up with f-bombs for the reporter.

The reporter deserved it. Unless of course they are covering every church service, every line at a restaurant, or interviewing everybody at a crowded grocery store to make sure it was all essential items.

Not to mention how pretty much every senior shouldnt even consider leaving unless they are in an ambulance. 

43 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I think the point is more that those that could more or less easily “sit still” for 14 days simply refuse to do it.

To really talk about it — in a real, honest way — required excoriating those we care about in real life and those we respect on this board. I’ll speak in generality and let everyone take their own meaning from it: there are people who are openly and shamelessly admitting to willfully not doing what needs to be done. People are looking for loopholes and outs. Looking for ways to displace blame. Looking for authority to excuse their choices.

These aren’t bad, messed-up, inferior people that have their heels dug in. They’ve just gone wayward somehow ... seeing themselves as something apart from everyone else. Not understanding why everyone needs to grab the rope and pull in the same direction. Not willing to sublimate the self even as such action is desperately needed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Waingro said:

WTF are we waiting for?

When we have to start triaging patients and the elderly are left to die. Much like several areas of Italy. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I think the point is more that those that could more or less easily “sit still” for 14 days simply refuse to do it.

To really talk about it — in a real, honest way — required excoriating those we care about in real life and those we respect on this board. I’ll speak in generality and let everyone take their own meaning from it: there are people who are openly and shamelessly admitting to willfully not doing what needs to be done. People are looking for loopholes and outs. Looking for ways to displace blame. Looking for authority to excuse their choices.

These aren’t bad, messed-up, inferior people that have their heels dug in. They’ve just gone wayward somehow ... seeing themselves as something apart from everyone else. Not understanding why everyone needs to grab the rope and pull in the same direction. Not willing to sublimate the self even as such action is desperately needed.

This isn’t something we’ve been through before. But after enough days go by with the economy tanking into depression and people dying, when do we finally understand  it’s time to do the right thing? And at what point does the federal government have to step in and do it for us? Argument could be made we’ve now reached that point. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

Not Constitutionality. Issues of procedure due to being accustomed to adhering to the Constitution. No one may be willing to step and take the hard, draconian steps.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Because the Dow Jones would not react favorably. 

I disagree and think Ackman was right here.  It would be an impetus for higher markets as it would provide some predictability.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I have one showing up at my door. My friend's brother goes through money like lightening speed. He lives in his car and panhandling success is 0 here. So he shows up here since I'm the only person here he knows and I have helped him in the past. He's shown up twice in the past few days. Today I went to check my mail. I drove back and as I reached my door, I looked over at the stairwell close to mine and he was there! He saw I won't open my door so he was trying to hide to catch me. He was engrossed jn his phone so I got in without him noticing. He's never been violent but dire situations can change people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Waingro said:

WTF are we waiting for?

Someone to lead us?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

May have been mentioned, but Dallas has moved to shelter in place.  Which, as I read it, is really no different than what life is today... essential businesses do include liquor stores.  I guess it's a catch 22.  People would go bonkers if they couldn't get their lixx, especially when forced to stay home.  But we all know it's hardly 'essential'

By the definition, seems most of the places we would go to now will still be open (i.e. places offering food, so super target gonna be open, same with walmart, right? Also, think it includes home goods, so both qualify. Grocery, gas stations.

Went out just to grab dinner Friday, day before made last lixx and supply run... so three trips in the last four days, none in the last two.  Will head to grocery and/or pharm in a couple days to reup on some items (basically working off a par system that gives 6 weeks supply, when it's down the 4.5-5 weeks, time to reup), and looking to play some tennis tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Koya said:

May have been mentioned, but Dallas has moved to shelter in place.  Which, as I read it, is really no different than what life is today... essential businesses do include liquor stores.  I guess it's a catch 22.  People would go bonkers if they couldn't get their lixx, especially when forced to stay home.  But we all know it's hardly 'essential'

By the definition, seems most of the places we would go to now will still be open (i.e. places offering food, so super target gonna be open, same with walmart, right? Also, think it includes home goods, so both qualify. Grocery, gas stations.

Went out just to grab dinner Friday, day before made last lixx and supply run... so three trips in the last four days, none in the last two.  Will head to grocery and/or pharm in a couple days to reup on some items (basically working off a par system that gives 6 weeks supply, when it's down the 4.5-5 weeks, time to reup), and looking to play some tennis tomorrow.

The biggest adjustment is working from home everyday but otherwise agree that shelter in place feels pretty lax.  If I was 25 years old, I would think differently but at this point not really affecting my every day to a great extant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Koya said:

Someone said that wi might take a similar shelter in place step, but it sounds like what we have already, and I still think there are probably too many people out and people not getting it.  

Just wondering: my mother in law watches our kid at our house every day. She hasn’t gone anywhere except back and forth from our house to hers in the last 10 days - only on walks around her neighborhood. We have that life 360 app that’s tracks where she goes (not because of this but she tripped and fell when out with the kid a year ago and we didn’t know where she was). 

Am I being paranoid or is it ok to have her still come over? I feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes. 

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

For when either the stores close down and you cant buy anything or they decide that cash is too dirty and go to card only? 

Or we talking when the dispensary closes and you have to get your weed on the streets? 

No, after that come civil unrest and robbing and looting.   

19 minutes ago, Sand said:

I disagree and think Ackman was right here.  It would be an impetus for higher markets as it would provide some predictability.

While I generally don't agree with all of the stuff that Ackman says--I do think that he was right here.  And it's not just him that's right about what is needed to fight the virus--the Chinese also found it the right way (albeit that they lied through their teeths to the rest of the world about the seriousness of it).   This is a relentless virus that spreads like wildfire.  Until a vaccine is made--the only way to defeat this thing is through extreme organization and extreme discipline.   Only when those things occur--can the virus get stalled enough for the healthcare system to handle things more reasonably. If also affords them more time to get the necessary supplies they need to battle this thing.   We cannot beat this worrying about salvaging our economy in the short to medium term--we're beyond that. Our short to medium term economy is already effed.   If we don't do the smart thing and shut things down completely--not only will we be compromising way more human life, we're also eroding away our healthcare system, but also risking our long term economic outlook.  

The best analogy I can make is when somebody decides to do a really deep cleaning of their house.  You basically have to tear through your closets, garages, every drawer--and you end up making a bigger mess at the beginning of the process. However--after that initial wave of making a bigger mess comes  the final product of the process: a  better, cleaner and organized house that you and your family members can prosper in.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Just wondering: my mother in law watches our kid at our house every day. She hasn’t gone anywhere except back and forth from our house to hers in the last 10 days - only on walks around her neighborhood. We have that life 360 app that’s tracks where she goes (not because of this but she tripped and fell when out with the kid a year ago and we didn’t know where she was). 

Am I being paranoid or is it ok to have her still come over? I feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes. 

Imo a case like this is not so much where she has been, and more where you and your family have been exposed and can pass to her.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Someone said that wi might take a similar shelter in place step, but it sounds like what we have already, and I still think there are probably too many people out and people not getting it.  

A lot of people are already living like this. Everybody should be voluntarily. That it needs to be mandated is pathetic.

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

I'd be worried about infecting her.  As long as she's just going from her place to yours and not seeing anyone else, she's obviously fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1