What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Density of people and fact they eat everything with varying levels of hygiene and food preparation. Plus all of those animals they eat are penned up in varying levels of health for god knows how long in open air markets. 
I remember going to an open air market in Shanghai once.  There were slabs of raw beef (presumably), uncovered, on countertops.  People would walk by, pick it up, poke at it, touch it, whatever, and put it down and move on down the aisle. 

A guy who I know very well lived in China for over 5 years.  He lives here now, and we were talking about this yesterday.

He lived far from Wuhan and said the people he knows are all fine.

But he said one thing that, while we all know it, really makes you think.  He said that you literally cannot believe a single word that comes from the government.  

The funny thing is that all the people who are trying to calculate death rates and figure out how contagious this thing is, are doing so on the back of Chinese stats, all of which are likely false.
Wait a second.  Are you implying the Chinese government might be lying to everyone?  

Buddy in school was from some Philippine backwater.  He was showing us pictures of his village.  A girl in the group mentioned all the cute dogs in one photo.  Without irony, pretense or self consciousness he replied "Yeah, those big yellow ones are good eating".  She freaked.

I have friends from Ireland. All their friends took gap years, some studying in China.

Heard story about one group of friends I don’t know.

They went to a market, one of the girls saw a puppy and realized it was for sale as meat. She went on a first world tirade and demanded to the merchant that he sell her the puppy, so she could save it! She berated him and had a proper fish-out-of-water, all you people are monsters fit.

He disappeared while she sobbed and her friends consoled her, when the guy re-emerged with brown butcher paper with meat inside.
totally believe it.

Once we went out to dinner at a restaurant in a rural town where our factory was.  Before going, they asked if mutton was ok to eat.  I said, "sure".  When we got there, they served soup that had tubes, maybe 1/2" in diameter and an inch long.  I said there's only one part of mutton that looks like that, and I'm not eating that.  That led to a big discussion about what Chinese eat and Americans wont.  Dog?  no.  horse?  no.  cow? yes.  Squirrel?  some people do, but not me.  Same for rabbit.  Pigeon?  no.  Donkey?  no. "you no eat donkey?  what donkey for then?"

totally believe it.

Once we went out to dinner at a restaurant in a rural town where our factory was.  Before going, they asked if mutton was ok to eat.  I said, "sure".  When we got there, they served soup that had tubes, maybe 1/2" in diameter and an inch long.  I said there's only one part of mutton that looks like that, and I'm not eating that.  That led to a big discussion about what Chinese eat and Americans wont.  Dog?  no.  horse?  no.  cow? yes.  Squirrel?  some people do, but not me.  Same for rabbit.  Pigeon?  no.  Donkey?  no. "you no eat donkey?  what donkey for then?"
I grew up fairly rural.  We ate a broad variety of meats.  Since then I have tried more from other regions where other meats are commonly consumed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Icon has been nothing but disinformation and hysteria in here. Just skipping right over his posts now to real info. 
:lol:  riiiiiiight. 

Link to all this disinformation I've posted aside from accidentally re-posting an interesting study (without comment or implication that it was a direct comparison)? 

:popcorn:  

You forgot to mention that the pathogen they hypothesized was a lot more deadly than what we currently see from Ncov-2019 (also, that study was quoted on the first page of this thread)
I presented the link without comment. I must have missed where I presented it as analogous in any way to this virus.

Oh yeah... I didn't.  ;)  

Perspective is hard to gain in these situations, I mean is that really alot for China, don't they have a Billion+ alone?  That's like us shutting down Omaha or something.  
You got me curious. Its like 2.5% of their population. That would be 8 million or so for us. So like NYC (not metro area)?

I ate horse in Tokyo in 2018. Wasn’t bad, just wasn’t nearly as good as steak. I’m generally pretty adventurous with food, but I’m not playing around with unhygienic.
I found the horse sushi to be quite tough. 

totally believe it.

Come with me on a little visit to Tijuana.  

Update for those who trust the Chinese govt numbers: 

"Death toll rises to 106 with more than 4,500 confirmed cases in China

The death toll in the coronavirus outbreak has risen to 106, Chinese officials said. There have been 1,291 more confirmed cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in China to more than 4,500, officials added."

The death toll in the coronavirus outbreak has risen to 106, Chinese officials said. There have been 1,291 more confirmed cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in China to more than 4,500, officials added."
Thanks.  Most Americans have no freaking clue how serious this could be 

Earlier the fatality rate was closer to 3%, those numbers is closer to 2%.  Hopefully it keeps dropping.

I'm glad I've effectively become a shut-in.   But I do have some N-95 masks.  Probably time to get them out.   

Looks like a couple of the newer HIV treatments may be effective for this coronavirus.   That's going to be great news for big pharma.

I'm glad I've effectively become a shut-in.   But I do have some N-95 masks.  Probably time to get them out.   

Looks like a couple of the newer HIV treatments may be effective for this coronavirus.   That's going to be great news for big pharma.
This won't help the conspiracy theories.

problem is most are still sick. The deaths to recovered ratio is much worse
That's where the profits kick in.   Not only is AbbVie's drug, Aluvia, looking like it may be an effective treatment, but we've got other big pharma companies shipping their products by the hundreds of thousands of units to China to be tested as potential cures.   No FDA, no CDC.   It's a dream come true.

That's where the profits kick in.   Not only is AbbVie's drug, Aluvia, looking like it may be an effective treatment, but we've got other big pharma companies shipping their products by the hundreds of thousands of units to China to be tested as potential cures.   No FDA, no CDC.   It's a dream come true.
Link?

Virginia reported the 6th and 7th confirmed cases of the Wuhan coronavirus in the United States at 10:45 PM EST on Monday 27th, 2020. Both citizens were males in their early twenties who had recently travelled to Wuhan, China for the annual Overwatch Cosplay Convention. It is believed that after Skipwith and Dilpickle won the worst dressed duo award, they celebrated at a local bar near the fish market and contracted the virus from an infected bartender. Some emerging reports suggest Dilpickle could be the first superspreader in the United States, after many of his close family and local Overwatch Cosplay club members also reported flu-like symptoms in the past 24 hours.

LInk

Virginia reported the 6th and 7th confirmed cases of the Wuhan coronavirus in the United States at 10:45 PM EST on Monday 27th, 2020. Both citizens were males in their early twenties who had recently travelled to Wuhan, China for the annual Overwatch Cosplay Convention. It is believed that after Skipwith and Dilpickle won the worst dressed duo award, they celebrated at a local bar near the fish market and contracted the virus from an infected bartender. Some emerging reports suggest Dilpickle could be the first superspreader in the United States, after many of his close family and local Overwatch Cosplay club members also reported flu-like symptoms in the past 24 hours.

Dilpickle.  

Where are you getting this from?  At least on the medical device side, China is extremely difficult to get registrations/approvals.  I can't imagine drugs are much easier.  

Is the Wall Street Journal a good enough source?

Johnson and Johnson already shipping.

Aluvia has already been used as experimental treatment.

Other drugmakers are also responding. Gilead Sciences is looking at its Ebola virus drug remdesivir, an antiviral, as a potential coronavirus treatment, The Motley Fool reported. Moderna also has a treatment for the virus under investigation. The company received a grant from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations to investigate a treatment for the virus. Inovio also received a grant from CEPI to develop a potential vaccine.
Lots of profit to be made.  Exploitation race is on!

Remind me. Did we get a vaccine for Ebola out of the last scare?
the current vaccine started trials in 2014 and was approved last month.  this outbreak started a few weeks ago and we have drugs being used off-label as attempted treatments.  I think some people are scared out of their minds right now.

Hypothetically if I had to make an urgent work trip to Singapore in the coming weeks, bad idea?  Mrs. O said absolutely not. I keep explaining it’s not China, it’s not even all that close to China, there are some countries between the two, and it’s an island.  I suppose the issue is lots of people probably travel to Singapore from China for the lunar new year.  But then again, is this thing killing a guy like Otis in his 40s who is healthy as a horse?  I doubt it.  I bet just like the regular flu deaths it is the elderly and those with weakened immune systems or other issues already.

Would you go to Singapore now?

Just landed from a red eye. On the outbound flight the gate next to me was going to Taipei. Was surrounded by Asians wearing masks. Guy sitting across from me in the airport took his GD shoes and socks off.

Hopefully I don’t have it.

Hypothetically if I had to make an urgent work trip to Singapore in the coming weeks, bad idea?  Mrs. O said absolutely not. I keep explaining it’s not China, it’s not even all that close to China, there are some countries between the two, and it’s an island.  I suppose the issue is lots of people probably travel to Singapore from China for the lunar new year.  But then again, is this thing killing a guy like Otis in his 40s who is healthy as a horse?  I doubt it.  I bet just like the regular flu deaths it is the elderly and those with weakened immune systems or other issues already.

Depends how important the trip is and if I wanted to go.

If possible I would book but would cancel if stuff turns south. 

What are the repercussions for postponing the trip?

If inconsequential, I'd postpone.

The island thing is a joke, right?

What are the repercussions for postponing the trip?

If inconsequential, I'd postpone.

The island thing is a joke, right?
Big piece of business I’ve been trying to land. Want to show the customer based there that I am “all in” and get this over the finish line with an in person meeting. 

:unsure:  I confess I’ve never been before, but always thought it was an island, right off the southern part of Malaysia?  Am I missing something there?

Users who are viewing this thread