Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

22 minutes ago, shader said:

Italy reports 4,789 new cases and 601 new deaths.

Second straight day where the new cases have fallen.  We have to keep this in perspective, as 5k new cases is 5k new cases.  Every day there are that many new cases is another day the quarantine must continue.

But it's still good news.  

This does fall in line with the initial guidance when they went on lockdown on March 9 that they were about 2 weeks away from their peak.  I’d be interested in seeing their ‘flatten the curve’ progress/point of the curve.

Edited by TheDirtyWord
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, shader said:

Second straight day where the new cases have fallen.  We have to keep this in perspective, as 5k new cases is 5k new cases.  Every day there are that many new cases is another day the quarantine must continue.

Hopefully we keep up the social distancing (and more people comply) over the next several weeks so we can also start a better trend. 

Breaking News - some names you just can't say with a straight face

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021, with the details to be worked out in the next four weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uncle CornCob said:

Anyone else hear info about the need for “travel papers” for essential workers in the near future?

I'm in the defense industry, and so far, we are considered "essential." Our parent company is supposed to send us a form letter than employees can show police or anyone who questions whether they should be out or not.

• Like 1

Just now, Koya said:

I can understand you feel he was right in not overreacting.  Curious what you think he's done correctly though (not just what he's avoided correctly).

Right now we have numbers that are beginning to really escalate, an economy on the brink of collapse, and a fearful public that has no confidence - and no idea really - about what is coming next.  What orders, initiatives, efforts, has this administration done that you feel has been so beneficial, as we need to be honest about what is and what is not working so we can adjust on the fly.

Again, this is from a crisis management perspective, irrespective of politics.

He declared a national emergency, is trying to help those that get impacted by the fallout (brink of economic collapse) of the decisions being made at local levels, is working towards getting more resources, pushing hard to try and find a treatment/cure.      What other sorts of solutions are there beyond the whole "shut down the world for 3 months" solution?

2 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

The daily briefings have been wonderful and Trump having medical experts weighing in is fantastic.  I can't see anything to criticize to be honest.

Appreciate your response. As essential as this part of the conversation is, I'll withhold further comment because, well, "politics"

And no, I'm not going to discuss this in the PSF either, for reasons I've explained there.

Back to our regularly scheduled hand-wringing and worry. I do appreciate those here who provide important information, insight, and the lightness of banter as to how we are individually and collectively trying to overcome difficult circumstance.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Doug B said:

... are people eating quite that much take-out? I know my family situation is not the national default, but stripping out take-out has been pretty seamless and painless for us. We used to do take-out of some kind no less than once a week and often more.

It's not about how much take out people were doing before the crisis. It's about how much dining they were doing. By eliminating the dining, a ton of food distribution was shifted over to grocery stores. People need to replace their behavior of dining with takeout/delivery or else the burden they put on grocery stores is more than it can handle.

Ohio Governor Dewine adressed that in one of his Q&As last week. He was asked why he wouldn't stop take out and delivery too in order to keep us safe. He said that would result in crowded grocery stores, which is exactly what we do NOT want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

The daily briefings have been wonderful and Trump having medical experts weighing in is fantastic.  I can't see anything to criticize to be honest.

*Sigh*

He consistently speaks and then the experts have to come in and correct him. Fauci was recently asked about this and you can tell he is frustrated. I don't know what you are watching.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

*Sigh*

He consistently speaks and then the experts have to come in and correct him. Fauci was recently asked about this and you can tell he is frustrated. I don't know what you are watching.

Fauci also said that Trump does listen to what he says on substantive issues.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Koya said:

I am not trying to be political, trying to determine what we as a nation should do in terms of practice and management of this crisis.  I'll let it go, but feel its an essential component to figuring out what our next steps are to get this under control.

I don't disagree with you but this thread will quickly get bogged down with fighting if we go this route.  We already have enough arguing as is in this thread and a long thread in PSF re: government response to crisis.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I don’t see any issue sharing medical advice 

I have issue with the SOME 3rd PARTY CONTACT SAYS GO BUY FOOD NOW!!! type of posts 

So medical advice is ok but prep advice isn't?  Where exactly is the line on what you believe is acceptable and how did you arrive at it? 

2 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Breaking News - some names you just can't say with a straight face

Veteran International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told USA TODAY Sports Monday afternoon that the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are going to be postponed, likely to 2021, with the details to be worked out in the next four weeks.

This sounds like a character from an alternative-universe James Bond movie in which Bond is gay.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, DrJ said:

Fauci also said that Trump does listen to what he says on substantive issues.    

Then WHY is he signalling he wants to end social distancing etc sooner than later? He is destroying the science argument.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Fellow IOC member Ben Dover was not available for comment.

• Like 8
  • Laughing 4

Just now, Sneegor said:

The economic impact at some point will lead to greater loss of life than the virus itself.  Trump is being smart to consider all options.

Yeah, and I do understand that human life is extremely valuable.    But there's obviously some sort of limits here.    Otherwise we would just spend infinity dollars every year trying to make sure everyone is happy and healthy.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sneegor said:

The economic impact at some point will lead to greater loss of life than the virus itself.  Trump is being smart to consider all options.

It's the half measures that are hurting us right now. Hurts both the medical and economy side.

Gotten myself too riled up this morning. Sorry everyone. 😐

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAA said:

Hopefully they are prioritizing the must haves over the nice to haves (no 

2 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

I think a lot of leaders in the US are changing their plans now that how bad the situation is in New York is being revealed. 

Except the administration is thinking of loosening the stay at home in a week. CA is min to April 7. So if they do this, will people adhere to local rules or the fed? 

5 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Then WHY is he signalling he wants to end social distancing etc sooner than later? He is destroying the science argument.

I would love to end social distancing sooner than later.  That doesn’t make me a destroyer of science.

3 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

Can we talk about govt. response in the PSF?  People have varying views on it and would rather avoid this thread get swamped with it when there is a whole thread in PSF dedicated to that stuff.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

I would love to end social distancing sooner than later.  That doesn’t make me a destroyer of science.

No,.but your aren't the President of the United States who has incredible influence on tens of millions of people and the responsibility to keep all of us safe.

Just now, Redwes25 said:

Can we talk about govt. response in the PSF?  People have varying views on it and would rather avoid this thread get swamped with it when there is a whole thread in PSF dedicated to that stuff.  

Yeah, that's fine, just there's a lot of overlap being social distancing is a huge theme and mandates on it are part of the government response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Are people getting re-tested to confirm recoveries?  If there’s not enough tests to confirm positives I’m guessing there’s definitely not enough tests for recoveries

I think the retesteds are reserved for healthcare workers who are urgently needed back to work.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, shader said:

Agree this is good news even if seeing 600 deaths is heart breaking.  The worldometers site hasn't updated their graphs for new info but clearly looks like it is leveling off in last two days.  This week is very critical.  

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

*Sigh*

Just listen to what Fauci and the other experts have to say during the daily briefings. It’s generally very good information.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

That, or just stop being billy goats walking across the bridge...

14 minutes ago, DrJ said:

He declared a national emergency, is trying to help those that get impacted by the fallout (brink of economic collapse) of the decisions being made at local levels, is working towards getting more resources, pushing hard to try and find a treatment/cure.      What other sorts of solutions are there beyond the whole "shut down the world for 3 months" solution?

And the administration was already behind the 8 ball because of things like the Federal stockpile of N95 masks were depleted in 2009 for H1N1 and never replenished

(per Bloomberg / LA Times reports)

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, chet said:

So medical advice is ok but prep advice isn't?  Where exactly is the line on what you believe is acceptable and how did you arrive at it? 

If it’s vague and likely to cause unnecessary panic I’d suggest not posting it

”I got a call from my friend in the governors office he said to go gas up your car and get groceries NOW”

vs

”I heard state X is shutting down.  Here’s a list of places still likely to be open based on State Y”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mr. Pickles said:

we still doing this with our “sources?”

Why wouldn’t  I?  On Friday night I posted that the state of Virginia would be going to a shelter in place circumstance soon.  The Governor comes out midday Monday with the order.  You’re welcome for the heads up.  

Edited by matttyl
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Sneezes, eye-wiping, saliva, etc. from asymptomatic carriers do still spread the virus. Maybe such carriers are somewhat less dangerous than the obvious "coughing their head off" guy ... but not by a ton IMHO.

There would be more cases of teachers having been infected from kids from school. Or even parents getting it from kids. 

There is almost no evidence of this. 

1 hour ago, Keerock said:

My son is a Physical Therapist and he's still being asked to work.  Boss says PT has been deemed an essential service.  Pisses me off.  He sees dozens of potentially infected patients a day and then brings it home :angry:

PT is essential in many cases. People who need it or they will lose strength and or range of motion is important. My dad's home PT shows up. At the door he sanitises, masks up, gloves on. He is a healthcare worker who's helping people not become disabled, more disabled or bedridden. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug B said:

There's no mystery to recoveries -- cessation of symptoms and a few consecutive days without fever. Future antibodies testing (sampling) will be useful, though.

Agree - Not saying there is a mystery, just that someone was cautioning about the low official “recovery” count vis a vis deaths, and that it will probably be understated for awhile due to possible lack of follow up testing

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Agree - Not saying there is a mystery, just that someone was cautioning about the low official “recovery” count vis a vis deaths, and that it will probably be understated for awhile due to possible lack of follow up testing

Think they are saying you need two negatives tests to be recovered and clear you can't spread.  Imagine that is awhile even after being symptom free.  Also, not sure they really know if you can still spread once you become symptom free so being very cautious on this stuff.  

1 minute ago, Nipsey said:

Good gosh people. What will it take? We could be ahead of the curve by now,  but every day this nonsense happens we fall farther behind, extending the time it will take to bend the curve and increasing the hospitalizations/deaths.  

(I chuckled at the banner/logo, please forgive me)

38 minutes ago, DrJ said:
39 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Sneezes, eye-wiping, saliva, etc. from asymptomatic carriers do still spread the virus. Maybe such carriers are somewhat less dangerous than the obvious "coughing their head off" guy ... but not by a ton IMHO.

But symptomatic people are also going to be more likely to avoid people, seek medical treatment, etc.   

This is a non-sequitir -- are you trying to say that neither asymptomatic carriers nor symptomatic carriers are particularly dangerous?

EDIT: Plus, symptomatic carriers run the gamut of behaviors -- there's likely no general tendency among them at all until the symptoms reach the hospitalization stage. Before that, you've got plenty of COVID carriers convinced "it's just allergies/a cold!", many trying to tough out pretty bad discomfort rather than rest at home. And so on.

Edited by Doug B
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Except the administration is thinking of loosening the stay at home in a week. CA is min to April 7. So if they do this, will people adhere to local rules or the fed? 

If marijuana laws are any indication, people will default to the local rules, right?

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Just listen to what Fauci and the other experts have to say during the daily briefings. It’s generally very good information.

:goodposting:

The briefings are basically Trump reading prepared text, then giving some unscripted rah-rah and blah-blah, then he turns it over to the experts.  The press Q&A is borderline unlistenable unless the experts are weighing in, since the reporters don't feel the need to ask them "gotcha" type questions.

Trump's gonna Trump, so I just tune him out for the most part.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Statorama said:

:goodposting:

The briefings are basically Trump reading prepared text, then giving some unscripted rah-rah and blah-blah, then he turns it over to the experts.  The press Q&A is borderline unlistenable unless the experts are weighing in, since the reporters don't feel the need to ask them "gotcha" type questions.

Trump's gonna Trump, so I just tune him out for the most part.

Yes, other than the Trump portions it's usually very good info. Just let Pence run the show so Trump can go back to his Twitter feed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This is a non-sequitir -- are you trying to say that neither asymptomatic carriers nor symptomatic carriers are particularly dangerous?

EDIT: Plus, symptomatic carriers run the gamut of behaviors -- there's likely no general tendency among them at all until the symptoms reach the hospitalization stage. Before that, you've got plenty of COVID carriers convinced "it's just allergies/a cold!", many trying to tough out pretty bad discomfort rather than rest at home. And so on.

Well overall I don't think either are all that dangerous and I'm not worried about getting infected.    But if I were to get infected, I suspect it would be far more likely from someone that wasn't showing any symptoms.    One reason being because they are less likely to seek medical attention.     They are less likely to avoid people.         Just because all people with symptoms don't behave universally doesn't mean it's not a significantly lower percentage.

18 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Why would I?  On Friday night I posted that the state of Virginia would be going to a shelter in place circumstance soon.  The Governor comes out midday Monday with the order.  You’re welcome for the heads up.  

“Buy what you need tonight.”

“Lockdown imminent”

17 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

There would be more cases of teachers having been infected from kids from school. Or even parents getting it from kids. 

There is almost no evidence of this. 

Fine. Consider young adult carriers with lesser, allergy-type symptoms. Or 30-somethings in the same symptom boat.

I actually think way down the line, it'll bear out in retrospect that kids could and did spread it to adults. But I can't prove that now, so I'll cede the small point in favor of the overall point.

Heard from work I was exposed to someone who was exposed to someone who tested positive, so now I am fully under quarantine, even though it is sort of 3rd degree exposure, so far the second person has not had symptoms or been tested. Hope I don't die!

• Love 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Pickles said:

“Buy what you need tonight.”

“Lockdown imminent”

Well, I didn’t say either of those things, but whatever.  (I did initially use the term lockdown, immediately changed it to “shelter in place”).  If you were able to get things from impacted stores over the weekend before this affects them, good on you.  

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

A few folks here are shooting these down for some reason.

I think because it can start basically with any symptom. Yesterday a rn thought for a few days it's a cold with her sneezes and other cold symptoms. Then a couple days later, body aches. Then it went on from there to testing positive for cv-19. She is being retested today so she can go back to work. One thing I like about CNN is they have a lot of how someone got cv-19, what was the timeline of symptoms, what their journey has been.

Hopefully there doesn't need to a fbg I have cv-19 thread, but if you want to hear about experiences, CNN is the place for patients self reporting. 

• Like 1