What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

That last bit was specifically for essential business 
Do you know where to find the official link by chance to understand essential/non essential so we know if we can continue to work if you know you can follow all social distancing requirements?

Has anyone here tested positive yet? I post at another forum where there are 2 cases, and I'd guess a likely 3rd. 1 had a positive test come back yesterday: he's a NY doctor with no bad symptoms. 1 tested positive a while back and is recovered (wife also). Put them in the "we had it and never knew it" category. Another is an admitted meathead who was a flu-bro guy, at the gym all last week and now has all of the symptoms. Getting tested now.

Edit: flu-bro guy says they are not testing anyone in his city under 65 or if they're in bad enough shape to be admitted. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I was going to ask was back when this started in China, they had guys in hazmat suits with tanker trucks of disinfectant going around spraying and hosing down pretty much anything they could get to. Have we been doing that at all in the US? I have heard of much in the way of major decontamination efforts and crews going out and cleansing places from ceiling to floor.
I'd like to know if that accomplished anything. Those videos are insane.

My stepsister tested positive yesterday.  She also happens to be a couple of months pregnant, so obviously far from ideal.  Her symptoms are mild but its still scary.

She's a nurse at a very large hospital in Manhattan. Her husband (a research physician at the same hospital) thankfully is clean at this point.  They basically started avoiding each other once she started coughing/feeling bad and thankfully it appears to have worked so far.

So yeah, prayers up (if that's your thing) for our healthcare workers.

I dont focuse on new cases as we dont know how much testing they are/are-not doing.  I focus on deaths as thats a true trailing indicator of how its progressing.
Interestingly, on the spreadsheet @icon linked, a similar thing can be done.  As an example, the USA currently has 504 deaths, which is a bit ahead of schedule from what that sheet shows.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ZSuR2yc-8JpMAuuhXR7Qw3xQfjTDdcEM1Q5WvKoz3cw/htmlview#gid=0

According to that sheet, we are now at 1.7 million infected people.

Now there are some variables I'd like to change on the linked spreadsheet (I think a doubling time of 3.5 days is too small, especially for the way things are right now), and I was wrong, apparently we can't change the variables.  But it does a good job of showing that when you hit a point where you have this many deaths, you have a lot of cases out there that aren't accounted for.  

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Because [EMTs are] free. Healthcare in this country is really really bad. Unless you have a ton of money. Then, it’s awesome. 
Not around here -- you will get a bill, either directly from an ambulance company or similar (many are private) or it'll be rolled into your billing from the hospital. Insurance coverage is iffy, no one covering rule about coverage can be inferred.

Not around here -- you will get a bill, either directly from an ambulance company or similar (many are private) or it'll be rolled into your billing from the hospital. Insurance coverage is iffy, no one covering rule about coverage can be inferred.
really?  911 is free here.  the second you get in the ambulance, boom!

Nobody dies of coronavirus.  They die of complications. I’m wondering if the dead get tested.  I’m guessing they don’t.
Some deceased have been tested, though I doubt it's a general rule to do so anywhere. There were for sure some posthumous COVID diagnoses in the Seattle area a few weeks ago ... it was how they determined COVID had been in Seattle since roughly mid-January.

Cases per 1 million of  population:

Italy - 1057
Switzerland - 988
Spain - 708
Austria - 478
Norway - 470
Germany -347
Belgium - 323
France -  304

Westchester County, NY - 2987
Nassau County, NY - 1800
New York City, NY - 1544
Suffolk County, NY - 980

Deaths per day seems to have peaked. While there could be some deaths outside of the testing, deaths is a data that is less likely to be skewed than total cases. I'm convinced Italy is over the hump. 
They are probably over the hump.  The question now turns into an economic one.  Now that they've halted (for the moment) absolute disaster in terms of this spreading throughout the country...how long does it take them to get back to business as usual?  2 weeks?  4? Two months?  When will they open their borders?  When will the economic impacts begin to outweigh the impacts that the virus directly had. 

I've long been convinced that this virus will never kill as many people as the flu does, despite the fact that it's 20-50 times more dangerous than the flu.  Countries (except for arguably the United States) are taking it extremely seriously, as they should.  But for me this will soon move to a question of what this does to the world in general, from an economic perspective.  I'm not talking about an "omg my 401k is going down" perspective, but a "I lost my job and I can't provide for my family and we are now broke and homeless" perspective.

Has anyone here tested positive yet? I post at another forum where there are 2 cases, and I'd guess a likely 3rd. 1 had a positive test come back yesterday: he's a NY doctor with no bad symptoms. 1 tested positive a while back and is recovered (wife also). Put them in the "we had it and never knew it" category. Another is an admitted meathead who was a flu-bro guy, at the gym all last week and now has all of the symptoms. Getting tested now.

Edit: flu-bro guy says they are not testing anyone in his city under 65 or if they're in bad enough shape to be admitted. Ugh.
It is absolutely bonkers that testing is still this limited.  We saw this coming back in January.

Im 75% sure I had it back in early Feb.  When the anti-body tests come out Ill be first in line.

They are probably over the hump.  The question now turns into an economic one.  Now that they've halted (for the moment) absolute disaster in terms of this spreading throughout the country...how long does it take them to get back to business as usual?  2 weeks?  4? Two months?  When will they open their borders?  When will the economic impacts begin to outweigh the impacts that the virus directly had. 

I've long been convinced that this virus will never kill as many people as the flu does, despite the fact that it's 20-50 times more dangerous than the flu.  Countries (except for arguably the United States) are taking it extremely seriously, as they should.  But for me this will soon move to a question of what this does to the world in general, from an economic perspective.  I'm not talking about an "omg my 401k is going down" perspective, but a "I lost my job and I can't provide for my family and we are now broke and homeless" perspective.
Im convinced its going to kill more than the flu.  However, there will never be enough testing to confirm.

That said, the flu season is long, like 5-6 months.  Once we are 5-6 months from now we can count the total bodies attributed to "flu like" deaths.  This will tell us how many extra we had that can be attributed to CV.  Those will be some reasonable numbers.

Meanwhile, in Canada, Ontario and Quebec to order all non-essential businesses to close starting midnight Tuesday.

CBC link

definition of "non-essential" to come sometime tomorrow.

I hope you are right. Can you show your math? I see lots of math with terrible figures.

It is absolutely bonkers that testing is still this limited.  We saw this coming back in January.
I don't know about January, but we really should have been prepping hard by mid-February for sure. Then again, I just looked through a smaller forum where it was basically me and 3-5 other people talking about it for a while, and I just came across this post from February 24th.

World Health Organisation Director-General says “for the moment we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus and we are not witnessing large-scale deaths” adding “using the word pandemic does not fit the facts”

CDC around that time was starting to warn properly (post from Feb 25), but not much before that I see. I agree our response was limited, but when I first started following this, it seemed to me there were a lot more people, especially doctors that I know, who were downplaying this whole thing. When I first popped into this thread, there seemed to be a sizable portion of flu-bros even here. We have talked about that, and I don't see any reason to call out anyone. About the only country which seemed to handle testing well was South Korea.

Honestly, now that I look over that small sample size, it was really only in late February that I'd use for the time frame that I think people should've really been heeding warnings, and that wouldn't have been too much of a help, I don't think. Also, I think testing would be a help, but only in making people see they need to heed the current warnings, closures, distancing rules, etc.

Looking only at the health front, there is risk that letting people back out and about that there will be active cases still around and things pick back up. Certainly if they open the borders, they risk a foreigner bring stuff back in. And the biggest concern for anywhere is that in the fall / winter a mutated version comes back and starts infected younger people like the flu did in 1918. Also, we still don't know if people can be re-infected at a later date (although I think most would say no on that front but hard to tell 100%). With all those concerns, how can you put a phased timeline of how to move forward?

An article I linked yesterday about Fedex drivers dealt with some of the issues we are having here. The drivers and package handlers need money to keep their families afloat. Some workers are sick and management has told them to suck it up and get back to work. Others have said virus or no virus they are going to work, and even if they took time to check to see if they were positive they wouldn't tell anyone and they would continue to work anyway.

DrJ said:
It's gotta beat the flu before it even becomes a deal let alone a big deal.
 No that's not an answer. 

Please provide the requested numbers for 1, 2, and 3.

"How many 1) cases / 2) hospitalizations / 3) deaths would qualify for a big deal? "

I don't know about January, but we really should have been prepping hard by mid-February for sure. Then again, I just looked through a smaller forum where it was basically me and 3-5 other people talking about it for a while, and I just came across this post from February 24th.

World Health Organisation Director-General says “for the moment we are not witnessing the uncontained global spread of this virus and we are not witnessing large-scale deaths” adding “using the word pandemic does not fit the facts”
CDC around that time was starting to warn properly (post from Feb 25), but not much before that I see. I agree our response was limited, but when I first started following this, it seemed to me there were a lot more people, especially doctors that I know, who were downplaying this whole thing. When I first popped into this thread, there seemed to be a sizable portion of flu-bros even here. We have talked about that, and I don't see any reason to call out anyone. About the only country which seemed to handle testing well was South Korea.

Honestly, now that I look over that small sample size, it was really only in late February that I'd use for the time frame that I think people should've really been heeding warnings, and that wouldn't have been too much of a help, I don't think. Also, I think testing would be a help, but only in making people see they need to heed the current warnings, closures, distancing rules, etc.
Thanks for posting this.  There's a lot of armchair doctors in this thread butt hurt because the federal government didn't have a crystal ball and a Harry Potter wand.

One thing I was going to ask was back when this started in China, they had guys in hazmat suits with tanker trucks of disinfectant going around spraying and hosing down pretty much anything they could get to. Have we been doing that at all in the US? I have not heard of much in the way of major decontamination efforts and crews going out and cleansing places from ceiling to floor.
I've not seen it. You'd think if this was a war we'd go on offense at some point instead of just waiting it out. 

Im 75% sure I had it back in early Feb.  When the anti-body tests come out Ill be first in line.
I think that's plausible. I did find it funny waking up one day last week, and everyone and their brother were claiming to have it from as early as November through December. January is probably a grey area for the U.S., but I'd get that test if I had something similar in February, without a doubt.

No that's not an answer. 

Please provide the requested numbers for 1, 2, and 3.

"How many 1) cases / 2) hospitalizations / 3) deaths would qualify for a big deal? "
It actually is an answer because you could get numbers for the flu for each of those.   

Do you know where to find the official link by chance to understand essential/non essential so we know if we can continue to work if you know you can follow all social distancing requirements?
Been looking for an hour, don’t think they e posted yet.  Goes into effect tomorrow night 

Not official but a good article on what's essential:

LINK

So what jobs are considered essential? Below is a list provided by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

HEALTHCARE/PUBLIC HEALTH

Workers providing COVID-19 testing and workers who perform critical clinical research needed for COVID-19 response

Caregivers (e.g., physicians, dentists, psychologists, mid-level practitioners, nurses and assistants, infection control and quality assurance personnel, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists and assistants, social workers, speech pathologists and diagnostic and therapeutic technicians and technologists)

Hospital and laboratory personnel (including accounting, administrative, admitting and discharge, engineering, epidemiological, source plasma and blood donation, food service, housekeeping, medical records, information technology and operational technology, nutritionists, sanitarians, respiratory therapists, etc.)

Workers in other medical facilities (including ambulatory health and surgical, blood banks, clinics, community mental health, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation, end stage renal disease, health departments, home health care, hospices, hospitals, long term care, organ pharmacies, procurement organizations, psychiatric residential, rural health clinics and federally qualified health centers)

Manufacturers, technicians, logistics and warehouse operators, and distributors of medical equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), medical gases, pharmaceuticals, blood and blood products, vaccines, testing materials, laboratory supplies, cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting or sterilization supplies, and tissue and paper towel products

Public health / community health workers, including those who compile, model, analyze and communicate public health information

Blood and plasma donors and the employees of the organizations who operate and manage related activities

Workers who manage health plans, billing, and health information, who cannot practically work remotely

Workers who conduct community-based public health functions, conducting epidemiologic surveillance, compiling, analyzing and communicating public health information, who cannot practically work remotely

Workers performing cybersecurity functions at healthcare and public health facilities, who cannot practically work remotely

Workers conducting research critical to COVID-19 response

Workers performing security, incident management and emergency operations functions at or on behalf of healthcare entities including healthcare coalitions, who cannot practically work remotely

Workers who support food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, such as those residing in shelters

Pharmacy employees necessary for filling prescriptions

Workers performing mortuary services, including funeral homes, crematoriums, and cemetery workers

Workers who coordinate with other organizations to ensure the proper recovery, handling, identification, transportation, tracking, storage, and disposal of human remains and personal effects; certify cause of death; and facilitate access to mental/behavioral health services to the family members, responders, and survivors of an incident

LAW ENFORCEMENT/PUBLIC SAFETY/FIRST RESPONDERS

Personnel in emergency management, law enforcement, emergency management systems, fire, and corrections, including front line and management

Emergency Medical Technicians

911 call center employees

Fusion center employees

Hazardous material responders from government and the private sector.

Workers – including contracted vendors -- who maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting law enforcement and emergency service operations.

FOOD AND AGRICULTURE

Workers supporting groceries, pharmacies and other retail that sells food and beverage products

Restaurant carry-out and quick serve food operations - Carry-out and delivery food employees

Food manufacturer employees and their supplier employees—to include those employed in food processing (packers, meat processing, cheese plants, milk plants, produce, etc.) facilities; livestock, poultry, seafood slaughter facilities; pet and animal feed processing facilities; human food facilities producing by-products for animal food; beverage production facilities; and the production of food packaging

Farm workers to include those employed in animal food, feed, and ingredient production, packaging, and distribution; manufacturing, packaging, and distribution of veterinary drugs; truck delivery and transport; farm and fishery labor needed to produce our food supply domestically

Farm workers and support service workers to include those who field crops; commodity inspection; fuel ethanol facilities; storage facilities; and other agricultural inputs

Employees and firms supporting food, feed, and beverage distribution, including warehouse workers, vendor-managed inventory controllers and blockchain managers

Workers supporting the sanitation of all food manufacturing processes and operations from wholesale to retail

Company cafeterias - in-plant cafeterias used to feed employees

Workers in food testing labs in private industries and in institutions of higher education

Workers essential for assistance programs and government payments

Employees of companies engaged in the production of chemicals, medicines, vaccines, and other substances used by the food and agriculture industry, including pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, minerals, enrichments, and other agricultural production aids

Animal agriculture workers to include those employed in veterinary health; manufacturing and distribution of animal medical materials, animal vaccines, animal drugs, feed ingredients, feed, and bedding, etc.; transportation of live animals, animal medical materials; transportation of deceased animals for disposal; raising of animals for food; animal production operations; slaughter and packing plants and associated regulatory and government workforce

Workers who support the manufacture and distribution of forest products, including, but not limited to timber, paper, and other wood products

Employees engaged in the manufacture and maintenance of equipment and other infrastructure necessary to agricultural production and distribution

ELECTRICITY INDUSTRY

Workers who maintain, ensure, or restore the generation, transmission, and distribution of electric power, including call centers, utility workers, reliability engineers and fleet maintenance technicians

Workers needed for safe and secure operations at nuclear generation

Workers at generation, transmission and electric blackstart facilities

Workers at Reliability Coordinator (RC), Balancing Authorities (BA), and primary and backup Control Centers (CC), including but not limited to independent system operators, regional transmission organizations, and balancing authorities

Mutual assistance personnel

IT and OT technology staff – for EMS (Energy Management Systems) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, and utility data centers; Cybersecurity engineers; cybersecurity risk management

Vegetation management crews and traffic workers who support

Environmental remediation/monitoring technicians

Instrumentation, protection, and control technicians

PETROLEUM WORKERS

Petroleum product storage, pipeline, marine transport, terminals, rail transport, road transport

Crude oil storage facilities, pipeline, and marine transport

Petroleum refinery facilities

Petroleum security operations center employees and workers who support emergency response services

Petroleum operations control rooms/centers

Petroleum drilling, extraction, production, processing, refining, terminal operations, transporting, and retail for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing

Onshore and offshore operations for maintenance and emergency response

Retail fuel centers such as gas stations and truck stops, and the distribution systems that support them

NATURAL/PROPANE GAS WORKERS

Natural gas transmission and distribution pipelines, including compressor stations

Underground storage of natural gas

Natural gas processing plants, and those that deal with natural gas liquids

Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facilities

Natural gas security operations center, natural gas operations dispatch and control rooms/centers natural gas emergency response and customer emergencies, including natural gas leak calls

Drilling, production, processing, refining, and transporting natural gas for use as end-use fuels, feedstocks for chemical manufacturing, or use in electricity generation

Propane gas dispatch and control rooms and emergency response and customer emergencies, including propane leak calls

Propane gas service maintenance and restoration, including call centers

Processing, refining, and transporting natural liquids, including propane gas, for use as end-use fuels or feedstocks for chemical manufacturing

Propane gas storage, transmission, and distribution centers

WATER AND WASTEWATER

Employees needed to operate and maintain drinking water and wastewater/drainage infrastructure, including:

Operational staff at water authorities

Operational staff at community water systems

Operational staff at wastewater treatment facilities

Workers repairing water and wastewater conveyances and performing required sampling or monitoring

Operational staff for water distribution and testing

Operational staff at wastewater collection facilities

Operational staff and technical support for SCADA Control systems

Chemical disinfectant suppliers for wastewater and personnel protection

Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting water and wastewater operations

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS

Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)

Employees of firms providing services that enable logistics operations, including cooling, storing, packaging, and distributing products for wholesale or retail sale or use.

Mass transit workers

Workers responsible for operating dispatching passenger, commuter and freight trains and maintaining rail infrastructure and equipment

Maritime transportation workers - port workers, mariners, equipment operators

Truck drivers who haul hazardous and waste materials to support critical infrastructure, capabilities, functions, and services

Automotive repair and maintenance facilities

Manufacturers and distributors (to include service centers and related operations) of packaging materials, pallets, crates, containers, and other supplies needed to support manufacturing, packaging staging and distribution operations

Postal and shipping workers, to include private companies

Employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels, and the equipment and infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers

Air transportation employees, including air traffic controllers, ramp personnel, aviation security, and aviation management

Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo by air transportation, including flight crews, maintenance, airport operations, and other on- and off- airport facilities workers

PUBLIC WORKS

Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential dams, locks and levees

Workers who support the operation, inspection, and maintenance of essential public works facilities and operations, including bridges, water and sewer main breaks, fleet maintenance personnel, construction of critical or strategic infrastructure, traffic signal maintenance, emergency location services for buried utilities, maintenance of digital systems infrastructure supporting public works operations, and other emergent issues

Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences

Support, such as road and line clearing, to ensure the availability of needed facilities, transportation, energy and communications

Support to ensure the effective removal, storage, and disposal of residential and commercial solid waste and hazardous waste

COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Maintenance of communications infrastructure- including privately owned and maintained communication systems- supported by technicians, operators, call-centers, wireline and wireless providers, cable service providers, satellite operations, undersea cable landing stations, Internet Exchange Points, and manufacturers and distributors of communications equipment

Workers who support radio, television, and media service, including, but not limited to front line news reporters, studio, and technicians for newsgathering and reporting

Workers at Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations, and Network Operations staff, engineers and/or technicians to manage the network or operate facilities

Engineers, technicians and associated personnel responsible for infrastructure construction and restoration, including contractors for construction and engineering of fiber optic cables

Installation, maintenance and repair technicians that establish, support or repair service as needed

Central office personnel to maintain and operate central office, data centers, and other network office facilities

Customer service and support staff, including managed and professional services as well as remote providers of support to transitioning employees to set up and maintain home offices, who interface with customers to manage or support service environments and security issues, including payroll, billing, fraud, and troubleshooting

Dispatchers involved with service repair and restoration

Information Technology

Workers who support command centers, including, but not limited to Network Operations Command Center, Broadcast Operations Control Center and Security Operations Command Center

Data center operators, including system administrators, HVAC & electrical engineers, security personnel, IT managers, data transfer solutions engineers, software and hardware engineers, and database administrators

Client service centers, field engineers, and other technicians supporting critical infrastructure, as well as manufacturers and supply chain vendors that provide hardware and software, and information technology equipment (to include microelectronics and semiconductors) for critical infrastructure

Workers responding to cyber incidents involving critical infrastructure, including medical facilities, SLTT governments and federal facilities, energy and utilities, and banks and financial institutions, and other critical infrastructure categories and personnel

Workers supporting the provision of essential global, national and local infrastructure for computing services (incl. cloud computing services), business infrastructure, web-based services, and critical manufacturing

Workers supporting communications systems and information technology used by law enforcement, public safety, medical, energy and other critical industries

Support required for continuity of services, including janitorial/cleaning personnel

RELATED: Where can I go? What does a ‘stay-at-home’ order mean?

OTHER COMMUNITY-BASED GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS

Workers to ensure continuity of building functions

Security staff to maintain building access control and physical security measures

Elections personnel

Federal, State, and Local, Tribal, and Territorial employees who support Mission Essential Functions and communications networks

Trade Officials (FTA negotiators; international data flow administrators)

Weather forecasters

Workers that maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting other critical government operations

Workers at operations centers necessary to maintain other essential functions

Workers who support necessary credentialing, vetting and licensing operations for transportation workers

Customs workers who are critical to facilitating trade in support of the national emergency response supply chain

Educators supporting public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing other essential functions, if operating under rules for social distancing

Hotel Workers where hotels are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment measures

CRITICAL MANUFACTURING

Workers necessary for the manufacturing of materials and products needed for medical supply chains, transportation, energy, communications, food and agriculture, chemical manufacturing, nuclear facilities, the operation of dams, water and wastewater treatment, emergency services, and the defense industrial base.

HAZARDOUS MATERIALS

Workers at nuclear facilities, workers managing medical waste, workers managing waste from pharmaceuticals and medical material production, and workers at laboratories processing test kits

Workers who support hazardous materials response and cleanup

Workers who maintain digital systems infrastructure supporting hazardous materials management operations

FINANCIAL SERVICES

Workers who are needed to process and maintain systems for processing financial transactions and services (e.g., payment, clearing, and settlement; wholesale funding; insurance services; and capital markets activities)

Workers who are needed to provide consumer access to banking and lending services, including ATMs, and to move currency and payments (e.g., armored cash carriers)

Workers who support financial operations, such as those staffing data and security operations centers

CHEMICAL

Workers supporting the chemical and industrial gas supply chains, including workers at chemical manufacturing plants, workers in laboratories, workers at distribution facilities, workers who transport basic raw chemical materials to the producers of industrial and consumer goods, including hand sanitizers, food and food additives, pharmaceuticals, textiles, and paper products.

Workers supporting the safe transportation of chemicals, including those supporting tank truck cleaning facilities and workers who manufacture packaging items

Workers supporting the production of protective cleaning and medical solutions, personal protective equipment, and packaging that prevents the contamination of food, water, medicine, among others essential products

Workers supporting the operation and maintenance of facilities (particularly those with high risk chemicals and/or sites that cannot be shut down) whose work cannot be done remotely and requires the presence of highly trained personnel to ensure safe operations, including plant contract workers who provide inspections

Workers who support the production and transportation of chlorine and alkali manufacturing, single-use plastics, and packaging that prevents the contamination or supports the continued manufacture of food, water, medicine, and other essential products, including glass container manufacturing

DEFENSE INDUSTRIAL BASE

Workers who support the essential services required to meet national security commitments to the federal government and U.S. Military. These individuals, include but are not limited to, aerospace; mechanical and software engineers, manufacturing/production workers; IT support; security staff; security personnel; intelligence support, aircraft and weapon system mechanics and maintainers

Personnel working for companies, and their subcontractors, who perform under contract to the Department of Defense providing materials and services to the Department of Defense, and government-owned/contractor-operated and government-owned/government-operated facilities

It actually is an answer because you could get numbers for the flu for each of those.   
There are several differences between the virus and the flu. At this stage of evolution, we know when the flu hits, how many people it effects, and it's spaced out over a 6+ month period. It usually is spread out across the country and not just in key spots. Yes, it claims 30-40,000 lives a year, but that is spread out over time and across a lot of places. People can get flu shots and in general it doesn't spread at a hyper-accelerated rate.

COVID uncontained can claim 500-1000 lives in a region a day if it gets bad enough. For now, there isn't a vaccine to give everyone, and it's starting to impact younger people too. If it got into big metro areas with an impact like Italy, it could start wiping out people at the rate it did in Italy multiplied by the number of cities it's in. So it could kill more people than the flu does in a year but in a month (and keep spreading).

In the places that get a bad outbreak, it will end up killing other people indirectly because there will be no hospital beds available, the healthcare workers may not be available, and people with other medical concerns will die as a result.

That being said, I have always been a little suspicious of the projections for the virus, as some of them seem like they are coming up with huge numbers that haven't presented themselves yet. Maybe they are expecting people not to follow directives and for it to keep spreading, who knows. But there is a lot of ground to cover to get from "thousands of positive tests" to "hundreds of thousands of fatalities."

I think my wife and I may have had it in early February too.  Wife and I babysat for our great nephews because their mom was a little sick with fever.  Two days later, the kids had it and Mom was better.  She took them to urgent care where they tested negative for influenza.  Two days later, Mom goes back to work and my wife takes care of older great nephew who still had fever and couldn't go to day care.  Two days later, wife has fever and coughing.  Two days after, I get a fever (with no other symptoms).  Wife had fever for five days and coughing for two weeks.  I had fever for five days and then felt fine.  I spent super bowl Sunday on the couch, with a 101 fever.

Niece and great nephews had no symptoms except fever, like me.  My wife coughed badly.  

I am guessing it probably was the flu, but owing to the great nephews negative flu tests and the duration of the fever on us old folks, while younger ones recovered quickly makes me want to have a test.

I think my wife and I may have had it in early February too.  Wife and I babysat for our great nephews because their mom was a little sick with fever.  Two days later, the kids had it and Mom was better.  She took them to urgent care where they tested negative for influenza.  Two days later, Mom goes back to work and my wife takes care of older great nephew who still had fever and couldn't go to day care.  Two days later, wife has fever and couching.  Two days after, I get a fever (with no other symptoms).  Wife had fever for five days and coughing for two weeks.  I had fever for five days and then felt fine.  I spent super bowl Sunday on the couch, with a 101 fever.

Niece and great nephews had no symptoms except fever, like me.  My wife coughed badly.  

I am guessing it probably was the flu, but owing to the great nephews negative flu tests and the duration of the fever on us old folks, while younger ones recovered quickly makes me want to have a test.
Who knows....maybe I had it too?

I had the flu in early March (confirmed Flu A via swab at urgent care). At the time, no test available for Covid19. I've been okay for the most part but I did have the dry cough they talk about. My wife and family haven't shown any symptoms so maybe not. Who the hell knows.

One thing I was going to ask was back when this started in China, they had guys in hazmat suits with tanker trucks of disinfectant going around spraying and hosing down pretty much anything they could get to. Have we been doing that at all in the US? I have not heard of much in the way of major decontamination efforts and crews going out and cleansing places from ceiling to floor.
Those were the images that got me fully taking this virus seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread