What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (21 Viewers)

Some info for the "I think I had this a few months ago" crowd, because this was already something I was curious about. Asked a local doc friend about their testing. (So of course, it could be different in different places, clinics, etc.) What I really wanted to know was how common it was for something to come back that wasn't identified on their respiratory screening test, which included (prior to Covid-19) several strains of influenza, pneumonia, and several (if not all) of the prior known strains of the coronavirus family, among other things.  I was told that, prior to all this, they rarely tested for anything other than the flu, because the test that checks for everything else is expensive AND most insurances don't cover it.  So, prior to this event at least, if other clinics operate in that same manner and you tested negative for the flu, you were probably told "it's just a virus." If that was in the last several months, it may or may not have been Covid-19. :tinfoilhat:  
I was told, and I quote “it’s just a virus”

Worldometer March 24  02:05 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 81,171 (+78) cases, 3,277 (+7) deaths
  2. Italy: 63,927 (+4,789) cases, 6,077 (+601) deaths
  3. USA: 43,734 (+10,168) cases, 553 (+140) deaths
  4. Spain: 35,136 (+6,368) cases, 2,311 (+539) deaths
  5. Germany: 29,056 (+4,183) cases, 123 (+29) deaths
  6. Iran: 23,049 (+1,411) cases, 1,812 (+127) deaths
  7. France: 19,856 (+3,838) cases, 860 (+186) deaths
  8. S. Korea: 8,961 (+64) cases, 111 (+7) deaths
  9. Switzerland: 8,795 (+1,321) cases, 120 (+22) deaths
  10. UK: 6,650 (+967) cases, 335 (+54) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 4,749 (+545) cases, 213 (+34) deaths
  12. Austria: 4,474 (+892) cases, 21 (+5) deaths
  13. Belgium: 3,743 (+342) cases, 88 (+13) deaths
  14. Norway: 2,625 (+240) cases, 10 (+3) deaths
  15. Canada: 2,091 (+621) cases, 24 (+4) deaths
  16. Portugal: 2,060 (+460) cases, 23 (+9) deaths
  17. Sweden: 2,046 (+112) cases, 27 (+6) deaths
  18. Brazil: 1,924 (+378) cases, 34 (+9) deaths
  19. Australia: 1,887 (+278) cases, 7 deaths
  20. Turkey: 1,529 (+293) cases, 37 (+7) deaths
We'll pass Italy before the weekend arrives

Your refusal to accept fact isn’t helpful.  Head of our department of health last week said it was more likely than not that we had at least 100,000-150,000 undiagnosed cases in Washington.  It was here in January.  Claiming it wasn’t is just denial.
It was there in January.  But it was one guy.  He flew in on January 15th and didn’t get diagnosed until the 21st I believe. 

I can’t believe what the narrative is in America right now.  Catastrophe of massive proportions will happen if this craziness of “getting back to work” isn’t shut down immediately.   Unbelievable.   
This isn’t surprising.  For all the talk last week of “we probably have millions and millions of undiagnosed people”, the reality was that we weren’t at those numbers.  We were at a very low percentage of the population with this disease.

So after a week of hoarding and quarantining, a general public that doesn’t believe this is a big deal anyway isn’t going to continue to quarantine.  It’s easy to see this coming.  

I hate to say it but we are literally going to need to see the overrun hospitals in New York and California for people to really freak out. And of course that will happen. Possibly as soon as the next 3-4 days.

@icon spreadsheet is getting scary today.  It’s quite possible that a million people have the coronavirus in the US.  Of those million, 500k don’t even know it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being here on 9/11.  We were all freaking out and rightfully so.  It's easy to look back now and think "why was I freaking out, nobody is going to bomb the butter at Rite Aid" but there we were.  My friends, my FBG family, shoot, brothers and sisters, be prepared and take recommended precautions. It will be alright. I promise. Spend time with your loved ones and get to really know them. That time grandpa held up the soda shop. All good stories. Don't dismiss them.

Ok this thread moves fast, but here goes. I’ll start with my typical caveat that I’m not an epidemiologist, a scientist, a health care professional, or an expert of any kind. I’m a low level market research analyst with a basic grasp of data, but just an average joe.

There’s enough data now to support a classic Gaussian Bell curve which should be plotted by region by day. The U.S. is not a region. New York is an example of a region. As is Italy, Iran, Spain, France, Germany and Hubei (not China).

For the concept, the raw numbers aren’t as important as the trend. Raw numbers will be addressed later.

The first date on the plot of the bell curve should be when the significant deaths start. For New York, that was March 19th,  and significant social distancing measures were employed March 21st.

All “numbers of days” are approximate and are provided for example purposes only.

The full run of the bell curve in countries that employed successful mitigation is 56 days, basically 8 weeks, with the peak coming in week 4 or week 5.

Essentially New York is looking at approximately 60 more days to go through the full bell curve, and 30-40 days until they bend the curve downward. There’s will be longer because we follow social distancing mitigation not so well.

So wherever you live (again state level), look at the dates when significant deaths start occurring, and when significant mitigation went into place. That will give you the start of the 8 week countdown and when the estimated peak will take place in week 4 or 5.

The raw numbers will be whatever they are. Hospital capacity, ICU beds and ventilators will be the horizontal line to stay under to not have the health system overrun. This should all be considered at the region level, in the U.S. it will be states. Different states will have different outcomes depending on the horizontal line and whether cases exceed the line or stay underneath it. (I predict Ohio will do well)

That’s not the best explanation by any means, so here’s the TL/DR:

Covid 19 impact follows a classic Bell curve

56 days in duration (approximately)

Peak of curve occurs at days 28-35 (approximately)

Assumes mitigation went into place around same time as significant deaths started

So please keep up the social distancing measures, and have a great night. Peace.

Local brewery that’s doing curbside growler sales said that a customer bought one and immediately poured into a coffee cup and drove off. Alcohol laws don’t seem to apply anymore. Another brewery was doing to-go drinks in mason jars.
We are literally asking people if they’d like a cocktail or 10 to go, with their order. Bottle of wine?  Growler?  Whatevs...gotta make that cheddar. 

Most people are working from home, best I can tell.  It's not going to be cool but I think most are more compliant than not.
No disrespect man, but "fbg guy" is not "most people."  Most people in this thread might be.  But MOST PEOPLE are not 6 figure/year, can-work-from-home types.   Most people include my wife, who is an hourly school district employee who doesn't know if she'll get another check in 2020.  Which biases me.  Most people are hourly, show up to work or get effed.  I say that with no joy, but in mourning as someone who employs most people, and is related to most people.

And to not be too depressing with my furloughed post. I did manage to conjur up over 3000 masks for a local hospitaal here in the Twin Cities. My museum had about 2K, and friend at the U had 400 hundred or so, and I spent the day driving around picking up random amounts from friends that generally work in some sort of design/build/academic shop.

Most, but not all, are N95, but my biddy who is a nurse said they will take whatever they can get (this after he told me that his bosses recomend they buy a bandana or three to have on hand)

For anyone listening to or following Trump right now, realize there is a very real chance he's going to get you killed. There's 100% certainty that his words are going to kill some people...I truly hope none of you fall in this group out of sheer luck. 

eta: I'd happily sign up for 4 more years of Trump if he would switch course immediately, warn people how serious it is, lock #### down, and get our healthcare professionals everything they need. Not even a question. 
Did you know there's a forum dedicated to this?

It was there in January.  But it was one guy.  He flew in on January 15th and didn’t get diagnosed until the 21st I believe. 
No.  That's wrong.   We had a doctor doing testing that was shut down by the CDC.   She proved community transmission.   This is information that is easily available and verifiable.  

I hate to say it but we are literally going to need to see the overrun hospitals in New York and California for people to really freak out. And of course that will happen. Possibly as soon as the next 3-4 days.
I agree that New York, especially downstate, will blow through their horizontal line. If you live here, and can avoid needing care in the next 30 days, do whatever you can to avoid it. Stay locked in alone if that’s what it takes.

No disrespect man, but "fbg guy" is not "most people."  Most people in this thread might be.  But MOST PEOPLE are not 6 figure/year, can-work-from-home types.   Most people include my wife, who is an hourly school district employee who doesn't know if she'll get another check in 2020.  Which biases me.  Most people are hourly, show up to work or get effed.  I say that with no joy, but in mourning as someone who employs most people, and is related to most people.
I apologize if I upset you my friend. Sincerely. "I'm a FBG SO I'M RICH" has been a thing around here for a long time.  I figure I'm not good at a lot of things but I'm happiest when I make people laugh. That's all it was.

We are literally asking people if they’d like a cocktail or 10 to go, with their order. Bottle of wine?  Growler?  Whatevs...gotta make that cheddar. 
My town has literally announced that there are no patrols for DUI happening.   I just don't know why people are driving around.   Get drunk at home for god's sake.

No.  That's wrong.   We had a doctor doing testing that was shut down by the CDC.   She proved community transmission.   This is information that is easily available and verifiable.  
Yes Helen Chu.  She performed the tests without CDC approval in late February.  

But the original transmission in Washington was a man that flew in from Wuhan on January 15th.  From there it spread and of course there was community transmission a month later.

All the taphouses and restaurants here are bringing filled growlers to the car. I havnt left the house in over a week - kinda tempted but I have a ton of food I should probably eat. 

Ok this thread moves fast, but here goes. I’ll start with my typical caveat that I’m not an epidemiologist, a scientist, a health care professional, or an expert of any kind. I’m a low level market research analyst with a basic grasp of data, but just an average joe.

There’s enough data now to support a classic Gaussian Bell curve which should be plotted by region by day. The U.S. is not a region. New York is an example of a region. As is Italy, Iran, Spain, France, Germany and Hubei (not China).

For the concept, the raw numbers aren’t as important as the trend. Raw numbers will be addressed later.

The first date on the plot of the bell curve should be when the significant deaths start. For New York, that was March 19th,  and significant social distancing measures were employed March 21st.

All “numbers of days” are approximate and are provided for example purposes only.

The full run of the bell curve in countries that employed successful mitigation is 56 days, basically 8 weeks, with the peak coming in week 4 or week 5.

Essentially New York is looking at approximately 60 more days to go through the full bell curve, and 30-40 days until they bend the curve downward. There’s will be longer because we follow social distancing mitigation not so well.

So wherever you live (again state level), look at the dates when significant deaths start occurring, and when significant mitigation went into place. That will give you the start of the 8 week countdown and when the estimated peak will take place in week 4 or 5.

The raw numbers will be whatever they are. Hospital capacity, ICU beds and ventilators will be the horizontal line to stay under to not have the health system overrun. This should all be considered at the region level, in the U.S. it will be states. Different states will have different outcomes depending on the horizontal line and whether cases exceed the line or stay underneath it. (I predict Ohio will do well)

Assumes mitigation went into place around same time as significant deaths started

So please keep up the social distancing measures, and have a great night. Peace.
NYC began social distancing before then.  Schools were closed the 16th and even the week before it was getting quieter with lots less people traveling to work if they could.  

Lots of people still wishcasting.  "it's not that bad."  "it doesn't spread as much as you think"  "it's a low mortality rate."

As long as we have a ton of people in active denial, suppression measures won't work.
My circle of friends and family are taking it very seriously and for that I’m thankful.  I can’t say the same for my workmates.  I’m convinced if the ban on travel was lifted they’d be back at it 100% and angry at me when I told them I was doing all meetings remote.

Yes Helen Chu.  She performed the tests without CDC approval in late February.  

But the original transmission in Washington was a man that flew in from Wuhan on January 15th.  From there it spread and of course there was community transmission a month later.
You mean a teenager that hadn't traveled?  

The New York Times has reported that Chu and her staff began running tests of the flu samples before the lab was certified to do so and during a time when the testing procedures were not certified as well.

But in doing so, it detected participants that had presumptive tests for Covid-19 including a teenager at a Renton area high school. The school closed for a time as a precaution.

What about areas whose population is spread out and not tightly packed? Are you looking at a longer, flatter curve?

For instance, roughly half of cases in FL are in Dade/Broward.  They're getting hit hard because of Spring Break and a more concentrated population. 

Locally, here in Jacksonville, we've had relatively few cases but we're also spread out in the largest land mass of any city in the Lower 48. Our public transportation sucks. Downtown is almost nonexistent after work normally. 

NYC began social distancing before then.  Schools were closed the 16th and even the week before it was getting quieter with lots less people traveling to work if they could.  
I’m using the 100% non essential worker date as the beginning of mitigation. Again, all dates and numbers of days are approximate, but the concept has been borne out by the countries before us. (I called them regions because we should think of it on a state by state basis, the U.S. is not a homogeneous region)

You mean a teenager that hadn't traveled?  
Hey man we’ve always been on the same page,  I’m not sure really what you’re getting at here.  I think you may have your dates mixed up a bit.  I’ve double-checked and everything I can find states that the first case from Wuhan came from a man that flew in on January 15th. If you can find earlier, please link me to it.

What about areas whose population is spread out and not tightly packed? Are you looking at a longer, flatter curve?

For instance, roughly half of cases in FL are in Dade/Broward.  They're getting hit hard because of Spring Break and a more concentrated population. 

Locally, here in Jacksonville, we've had relatively few cases but we're also spread out in the largest land mass of any city in the Lower 48. Our public transportation sucks. Downtown is almost nonexistent after work normally. 
It’s possible states will have multiple regions within the state. So northern Florida vs southern  Florida could be considered 2 regions. The bell curve concept will still apply to both regions, but the raw numbers will be different in both regions. It would make sense that Jax will have lower raw numbers, but the duration of the curve and the timing of its peak will be what it is (all numbers of days approximate).

My town has literally announced that there are no patrols for DUI happening.   I just don't know why people are driving around.   Get drunk at home for god's sake.
To go/take out.  No one is rolling up on their donkey.  The restaurant will take advantage of any revenue stream available  

I get it, that people aren’t used to making their own food.  But, I think restaurants, that are not take out only, should be closed.  I get the concept of helping out small businesses.  But if we are really going to follow cdc guidelines, shut it down.  

Any number of bars and restaurants, including a few run by / tended by my friends are flat out doing adult lemonade stands. 

They set up a table/tiki type portable bar with 6-12 bottles and what goes for a decent marg, tonic, or daq - mind you, some of these are some of the best cocktail minds and preparers in the region.   

Trying anything to survive as a business and individually.  Also, outside, and decent to good distancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man we’ve always been on the same page,  I’m not sure really what you’re getting at here.  I think you may have your dates mixed up a bit.  I’ve double-checked and everything I can find states that the first case from Wuhan came from a man that flew in on January 15th. If you can find earlier, please link me to it.
By January 21 she proved community transmission.  IK was saying it's not possible people were sick in February.   He claims the math is impossible.   This state more likely than not has 100s of thousands of undiagnosed cases.   People that are in denial about scientific facts who are raging against lockdowns are the problem right now.

By January 21 she proved community transmission.  IK was saying it's not possible people were sick in February.   He claims the math is impossible.   This state more likely than not has 100s of thousands of undiagnosed cases.   People that are in denial about scientific facts who are raging against lockdowns are the problem right now.
Yes by Jan 21 he had definitely transmitted it.

But I think his point was that the vast majority of  people didn’t have it in February.  Yes there could be 100 thousand undocumented cases.  Now.  But not a month ago. That’s how the exponential math works.

Users who are viewing this thread