What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

I'd just buy the same things I always buy, but vacuum pack and freeze an extra month's worth.  
Bingo. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who can't afford to pre-buy an extra months worth of groceries in advance… That is certainly unfortunate.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?
Only things fitting the End Times narrative are allowed here. TIA

[icon] said:
Agree with the latter. 

Our plan is kinda one of stages. Obviously it's quite unlikely we will get to all stages... but I like at least having a plan, and happen to have outdoorsy/military buddies who do as well: 

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios. 

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely) 

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely) 

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design. 

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy. 

I hope you've picked attractive neighbors, for Stage 5, repopulation.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?
Having a far greater surplus of quality hospital beds, A smaller geographical area to enforce, a great head start on what was coming, and an intelligent/tech savvy/compliant population.

Sadly very few of those benefits translate over to us.

data suggests masks are largely useless for well people in public settings
fwiw, my wife says the same thing yesterday. We (well public) should not purchase masks as that only serves to reduce the availability for those that really need them like health care workers, people who see / interact with the public all day (think cashiers), and those with the virus.

I also appreciate how Iran doesn't even bother to count serious/critical cases -- everyone is either "mild symptoms" or "deceased" :(  
There was a report out yesterday that would indicate if you pass over the Serious threshold you are ####ed.  

fwiw, my wife says the same thing yesterday. We (well public) should not purchase masks as that only serves to reduce the availability for those that really need them like health care workers, people who see / interact with the public all day (think cashiers), and those with the virus.
TIL healthcare staff swing by Home Depot on their way to the hospital each day to get their daily allotment of masks..  But the masks only protect against infection when used within the geographical boundaries of a hospital.

Thats a lot of technology they pack into that tissue paper.:) 

Does your wife get her masks from Home Depot or Lowe's, or does she prefer to price shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it came to that, you think they'd let thousands of AMERICANS die because they couldn't afford a vaccine? No chance.
Thousands of Americans die because they can't afford insulin, cancer treatments, and other essential medications.   You think we're going to suddenly nationalize big pharma?   No chance.

Having a far greater surplus of quality hospital beds, A smaller geographical area to enforce, a great head start on what was coming, and an intelligent/tech savvy/compliant population.

Sadly very few of those benefits translate over to us.
A COVID patient going critical is more dumb luck (and underlying conditions) more than anything else, isn't it?

Thousands of Americans die because they can't afford insulin, cancer treatments, and other essential medications.   You think we're going to suddenly nationalize big pharma?   No chance.
That's not on the news. That's not part of mass hysteria. And that stuff isn't contagious. You're crazy if you think anyone would have to pay for it.

why is it every time this gets posted and I'm reading it, I find myself scratching my nose or rubbing my eye or something?  :wall:
Same reason every time I used to get an email from the elementary school about some kid having lice that my scalp would suddenly itch?

TIL healthcare staff swing by Home Depot on their way to the hospital each day to get their daily allotment of masks..  But the masks only protect against infection when used within the geographical boundaries of a hospital.

Does your wife get her masks from Home Depot or Lowe's, or does she prefer to price shop?
@[icon], did you see the part about cashiers, or did you just want to be a jerkface?

Z can answer for himself ... but I think his wife's point was that it's easier for most people to self-isolate to an extent, even when we go out in public. For those who can't (healthcare, public-facing jobs, etc.) the masks make more of a difference.

That's not on the news. That's not part of mass hysteria. You're crazy if you think anyone would have to pay for it.
It's not?   Can't get through a presidential debate or speech without hearing it.   You think hysteria is going to somehow convince drug companies to stop making profits?   One of us is crazy, that's for sure.

It's not?   Can't get through a presidential debate or speech without hearing it.   You think hysteria is going to somehow convince drug companies to stop making profits?   One of us is crazy, that's for sure.
Are you new in this country?

Are you new in this country?
Name every time in the history of the US that we instituted price controls on drugs or nationalized a pharmaceutical manufacturer.    Should be easy.  Then tell me what country in the world has the highest drug prices.   Should also be easy.   

@[icon], did you see the part about cashiers, or did you just want to be a jerkface?
Just having some fun GB. Wasn't directed at you. 

More of a reference to the people arguing that they are ineffective at lowering your odds of contracting the virus when around people who are infected.

Z can answer for himself ... but I think his wife's point was that it's easier for most people to self-isolate to an extent, even when we go out in public. For those who can't (healthcare, public-facing jobs, etc.) the masks make more of a difference.
Yes, she made that point as well. Social distancing, constant hand washing, and not touching mouth, nose, or eyes is much more effective than wearing a mask that you're likely not trained well on putting on, taking off, or keeping in place.

Mr. Ham said:
I’m not talking about Mediterranean diets (very healthy.) I’m talking about diets with too little heathy fat, and way too much flour, sugar and other long chain carbs like starches.

Recommend  you read the Better Brain Solution and Wheat Belly.

Don’t believe me, fine. Don’t call it hyperbole. 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/have-low-fat-diets-made-us-fatter/

According to Harvard:

“Over the past 20 years, Ludwig has conducted research aimed at teasing out what low-fat diets do to our bodies. He’s found that low-fat foods brought to market over the past 40 years—high in refined carbohydratesaimed at making the foods more palatable—actually raise our insulin levels, trigger our fat cells to hoard calories, slow our metabolism, and make us hungrier.”
Your assertion that cardiologists advocated diets contributing to the obesity epidemic and its comorbidities is hyperbole. I mentioned two diets commonly prescribed by cardiologists, neither of which advocates flour, simple sugars or starches. The existence of unhealthy heavily processed, low-fat foods does nothing to change that, despite people erroneously conflating those foods with low-fat diets. 

While I'm sure your pop diet books have some good advice, I prefer to read scientifically validated nutrition research. The diets with the best scientific backing are plant-based, relatively high in carbohydrates and lower in fats - generally 30% of caloric intake or less. Like the AHA and just about every medical organization recommends.

Again, including healthcare in that pool is fla\/\/ed unless Z's wife is hitting Home Depot for her gear. 

Regarding these "customer facing employees"… Providing PPE against hazardous working conditions is the responsibility of the employer.

If McDonald's wants to make money during an epidemic, pay the toll of protecting your employees... otherwise I'll be rooting for a class action by all affected employees.

In any event, I have zero motivation to reduce my ability to protect my family in order to help someone who procrastinated or didn't prepare. Sorry. Not sorry.

Now #######s clearing the shelves to sell them at $25ea on EBay are **** bags. 

Home Depot had almost no masks but I was able to get a few and some Lysol and gloves. Then I hit aldi for as many cans of food as I could carry by myself.  Glad that at least I have some stuff at this point. There will be runs on stores.  

Name every time in the history of the US that we instituted price controls on drugs or nationalized a pharmaceutical manufacturer.    Should be easy.  Then tell me what country in the world has the highest drug prices.   Should also be easy.   
Have we ever had a president that would pay any price - no matter its cost - to make sure the stock market didn't stay in the tank? Should be easy.

Home Depot had almost no masks but I was able to get a few and some Lysol and gloves. Then I hit aldi for as many cans of food as I could carry by myself.  Glad that at least I have some stuff at this point. There will be runs on stores.  
Go Astros!!!!

Just got back from Costco, for routine shopping. At least 75% of shoppers had TP, lysol wipes, water or some combination of those in their carts. Granted, there are a lot more Asians here than most places, but it's clear people are concerned.

I bought avocados, almond milk, eggs and spaghetti sauce.  :shrug:

Just got back from Costco, for routine shopping. At least 75% of shoppers had TP, lysol wipes, water or some combination of those in their carts. Granted, there are a lot more Asians here than most places, but it's clear people are concerned.

I bought avocados, almond milk, eggs and spaghetti sauce.  :shrug:
That's a pretty delicious haul 

Have we ever had a president that would pay any price - no matter its cost - to make sure the stock market didn't stay in the tank? Should be easy.
I will bet you $1,000 that:  (1) we do not nationalize any pharmaceutical company between now and the inauguration of whoever is elected in 2020, and (2)  no antiviral drug or vaccine for Covid-19 will be provided to all citizens of the United States for free. 

There may be some programs for the indigent, but whoever gets a vaccine to market first is going to make a huge profit, as will their shareholders.  

Swung by home depot to see if any masks and there were none.  Decided to cure my depression to go to liqour store and found a nice bottle of Blatons.  Clearly I looked out!
We may disagree on the severity of this virus, but Blanton's is freaking great.   3 more days of sober February.  I'm gonna go get a bottle for the tournament.

Someone explain to my dumb ### how the virus apparently can't survive in hot, humid conditions, but thrives inside our 98.6 degree bodies that are made up of mostly water?  

Someone explain to my dumb ### how the virus apparently can't survive in hot, humid conditions, but thrives inside our 98.6 degree bodies that are made up of mostly water?  
There isn't any genetic material for the virus to use outside of a body.

[icon] said:
My thoughts on masks: 

1) Something is better than nothing. N95 filters much smaller particles and is ideal, but a handkerchief will help stop the bulk of moisture/spittle from a cough or sneeze from going direct into your mouth. Perhaps more important is proper handling/removal/disinfection. @Terminalxylem probably can handle the nuances of this. 

2) If we're at the point you need to wear masks to be in general public, you should likely be only leaving the house when absolutely necessary, hence why some of us are preparing to shelter in place. Every time you leave the house is a chance (however small) you contract the virus. 

3) The goal is to keep your home clear of contamination so you can live normally (as can be expected), and only needing to worry about PPE on the (hopefully) rare occasions you leave your home. 
I think masks short of N95 are mostly window dressing for unaffected individuals. Good cough and hand hygiene are far more important. And it's a little tricky to assume something is better than nothing, as handling the mask/surrogate properly is important too.

FWIW, I wear masks at work, but not in public. I'm not stockpiling them either.

Stopped by a Menards on the way home.  No masks unless you want an industrial quality respirator which I already have.  Maybe I'll snag some extra filters for my respirator from work.  Wearing that around out in public will get some looks.

I stopped out of curiosity mostly, but would have picked some up if available. 

I feel strangely ok with trump handling this, I feel like this is his wheelhouse of team building and delegation, but I could do without him calling Pelosi "incompetent" in this spot, rise above politics for once.

Trump just put Pence in charge of the response for Covid-19.   The guy who said smoking doesn't cause cancer,  climate change doesn't exist and lobbied against HPV vaccines.  

We're all gonna die.
Thinking about this more, this is probably the one thing he probably should have given to Ben Carson.  At least that guy's a doctor.

[icon] said:
1) I'll answer 1 with a question... do you think doctors and nurses wear them while treating COVID patients because they (med staff) are sick. No. It's protection. 

2) Honestly, In most parts of the country, I cautiously optimistic masks will be spotty. I think in major metro areas that have open transmission, masks are going to be on anyone's face who doesn't want to get sick and can afford/get one. Too much risk in dense areas. 

We shall see how widespread it gets here. People equating public use of facemasks with the zombie apocalypse are poorly calibrated on this I think. You can want to avoid catching a cold/virus/bug in a crowded place, without it triggering collapse. Masks are a slight inconvenience but otherwise life can be carried on pretty normally. 
Healthcare providers are working intimately with sick people - with commensurate risk for exposure to infectious bodily fluids/secretions. In most everyday interactions, this isn't the case.

Healthcare providers are working intimately with sick people - with commensurate risk for exposure to infectious bodily fluids/secretions. In most everyday interactions, this isn't the case.
What about in a circumstance where you're around a lot of people in general...airports, subways, etc.   There's really nothing magic about being a health care provider that makes wearing a mask a good idea...it's the fact of being around people who may be transmitting infection.   

Users who are viewing this thread