What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (23 Viewers)

I’d actually survived the first 3 weeks of our shelter-in-place lifestyle without any fast food; doing so good making all our meals.  And then wifey on Saturday said “we haven’t had Popeye’s in a long time” and dang it if I didn’t lose the internal battle of resistance quickly.

So good, yet so destructive to our TP stock
Same with us, I was a pretty regular Wendy's stop during the week. Haven't had it in 2 weeks now and I'm jonesing hard for a double. College kid went to Taco Bell yesterday. 

I am a hand sanitizing freak normally, but definitely dont have extra focus inside my house now that pretty much nobody is coming and going.
Same, haven't left the house in a week. Still wash up quite a bit but when this dies down will need to step up my game.

If food packaging is perfectly safe, which he doesnt say, then all surfaces are perfectly safe. 

So yes the slice of pizza is fine. But the pizza doesnt teleport into your mouth.
Was food packaging (both take-out and groceries) EVER much of a virus vector?

I mean, I know it's certainly possible in theory, and CAN happen ... but I feel like the threat from mail, food, groceries, etc. is somewhat overblown. Not in a "just the flu, bro!" way ... just that something seems to be lacking with food packaging as a successful virus vector for any illness - past or present.

I recognize that unwashed produce can be a vector for illness. And I know about, for example, the various issues Blue Bell ice cream plants have had with listeria. But those aren't actually problems with food packaging per se spreading virus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak%3f_amp=true

so are walks even safe? This is insane. I mean if somebody you don’t even see coughs and you walk through it 5 minutes later you could catch? I feel like I’m going crazy. 
60 people being inside a room (even a large one) singing and projecting seems way more problematic than walking through an outdoors area that an infected person may have coughed in 5 minutes earlier.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak%3f_amp=true

so are walks even safe? This is insane. I mean if somebody you don’t even see coughs and you walk through it 5 minutes later you could catch? I feel like I’m going crazy. 
That seems like exactly the thing we are told to avoid right now. Close quarters with lots of people. Understood that it says that "no one was coughing or sneezing" but they were all in close proximity. But singing for an hour is literally projecting your droplets and particles into close quarters with people.

I don't think you have to worry about taking a walk. 

I saw some study (but you guys know how studies are) that you're 18 times more likely to catch this virus indoors than outdoors.  I think walks are fine and we should all do them.  Just give people a wide berth and you should be ok.

May be a dumb question.

But do you automatically get this if you encounter an infexcted person's saliva/spit/snot/etc.?

Like if I kiss my wife, and she has it, am I automatically doomed?

Since they think this mainly spreads by droplets, walks are safe IF you are following the 6-foot (or more) rule. That allows time for the droplets to be pulled out of the air by gravity. Unlike aerosol transmission where they are suspended in the air for longer periods of time, more akin to something like fog. 

I just hear people spitting or sneezing on it and it grosses me out.
Sometimes, people who work(ed) in food service like to get attention from "laymen" by saying "That happens ALL the time! Like 10 times per shift! And I worked in a restaurant -- I should KNOW !!!11!!ONE!!"

No it doesn't. That's BS. The number of times that happens, percentage-wise, is close to non-existent. And yeah -- I worked in restaurants for a long while, too ... so lets's play Dueling Anecdotes.

May be a dumb question.

But do you automatically get this if you encounter an infexcted person's saliva/spit/snot/etc.?

Automatically?  No.

High probability?  Yeah, that kind of contact has a pretty high rate of transmission.

You're really unlikely to get it from food unless a fecal-oral method of transmission is established, which I don't think is the case.

You're more likely to get it from the packaging by touching it with your hands and then touching your nose or your eyes. So just take your food out, wash your hands really well, and don't worry about it.
That is what we have been doing.  Wipe the boxes down, wash hands well, then go for it.  Picked up some steak on Saturday. :thumbup:  

The linked story and your question are 2 completely separate issues.  Yes, you can safely walk.
This is the part I was referring to:

”Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols — particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer.”

Unfortunately this is a case of doing exactly the opposite of the guidelines and even basic common sense. A gathering of nearly 100 people in a church singing together. Walking outside is not even in the same ballpark as what happened here, sadly.

Unfortunately this is a case of doing exactly the opposite of the guidelines and even basic common sense. A gathering of nearly 100 people in a church singing together. Walking outside is not even in the same ballpark as what happened here, sadly.
I know. It was the part in the article where it lingers in the air I was focused on. Should have been more clear. 

”Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols — particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer.”
I'm not a scientist so this is mainly just me talking out of my ###, but let's say for the sake of argument that this virus actually is spread by aerosols.  Is spreading covid this way even possible outdoors?  It seems like even a light breeze would be way more than enough to dissipate things.

May be a dumb question.

If the stuff about it not being transmitted through eating is accurate, then the issue should be more you inhaling her breath than transfer through saliva.  That said, I have no idea.

I understand.  But they are in a confined space partaking in an activity that is going to spread those particles pretty easily.  Outside, going for a walk, you're not going to be in continued close proximity to someone that is actively sending these particles in the air unless you are running behind someone that keeps coughing and spitting into the air, for example. 

Are the chances 0% by walking outside?  I couldn't say that with 100% certainty, but I can tell you it's incredibly, highly unlikely to happen.  Sitting in a room during a choir practice, even 6 ft apart?  Yeah, no chance I'd be involved in that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I had a sit down yesterday, and now I am almost 100% convinced that we both had this MONTHS ago.... 

There are theories within france (and other parts of europe) that covid has been there for quiet some time... so here we go.

December my wife and I go to france to see our family. she goes 1.5 weeks before me, and days in starts telling me she's quite sick w a bad cough, sore throat a slight fever, but the doctor there said it wasnt pneumonia. she's not one for meds, so bails... 

I get there and she's absolutely unbareable, coughing every 30sec, a vicious cough that goes from morning to night. she's slightly delusional etc... finally make her see a doc again and she gets a bunch of meds, including some sizzurp (as we used to say)... takes a few days to start working, but let's say 3+ weeks for her to rid of this thing, basically ruining our trip.

we get back, and i end up with the WORST flu like symptoms i may have ever had. sore throat, dont remember if i had a BAD cough, but a cough for sure... 2 days shivering in bed and i remember almost none of it.

we're freaking ourselves out now, but this theory holds a lot of weight... we landed in paris, which is a HUGE chinese hub for business, as is Milan/northern italy....

i was pretty chill about this, but now im reallt starting to wonder if we had a real early/less threatening case, or just coincidence/flu?

we are both pretty healthy ppl who rarely get ill.

Bottom line on all the discussion of take-out, walks, etc - unless you live in a plastic bubble or a hospital isolation room, you will not be able to eliminate all potential exposure points. Your goal should be to limit them as much as possible but if you strive for elimination, you’re gonna drive yourself and everyone else crazy and still not achieve it.

I'm not a scientist so this is mainly just me talking out of my ###, but let's say for the sake of argument that this virus actually is spread by aerosols.  Is spreading covid this way even possible outdoors?  It seems like even a light breeze would be way more than enough to dissipate things.
That's what I was thinking too.  Particles dissipate completely different outdoors than indoors.

The other takeaway from that choir story is that they were all asymptomatic.  Not earth shattering scientific news, but the event is a somber reminder about why social distancing is key. 

May be a dumb question.

Automatically?  No.

High probability?  Yeah, that kind of contact has a pretty high rate of transmission.
I, for one, will no longer be kissing the moops wife going forward.

I saw some study (but you guys know how studies are) that you're 18 times more likely to catch this virus indoors than outdoors.  I think walks are fine and we should all do them.  Just give people a wide berth and you should be ok.
If they are fine, why do you need to give a wide berth?

I understand.  But they are in a confined space partaking in an activity that is going to spread those particles pretty easily.  Outside, going for a walk, you're not going to be in continued close proximity to someone that is actively sending these particles in the air unless you are running behind someone that keeps coughing and spitting into the air, for example. 

Are the chances 0% by walking outside.  I couldn't say that with 100% certainty, but I can tell you it's incredibly, highly unlikely to happen.  Sitting in a room during a choir practice, even 6 ft apart?  Yeah, no chance I'd be involved in that at all.
No because I have Seniors that want to stop and talk to me along the way and I've had to stop several of them from reaching to shake my hand. I'm with you that walks would seem very low. I don't think a few people walking along the beaches spread out will spread anything but the problem is people cannot control themselves. 

We were paddle boarding along the shore yesterday from about 10am-Noon and when we got back to our entry point to the water, there were already people gathering and starting to figure out what we did around the Jupiter Inlet. It's just a matter of time, maybe days until they start roping the whole thing or re-directing all traffic. 

If they are fine, why do you need to give a wide berth?
Because if someone has the illness and coughs or sneezes or anything else to project the particles into the air, you have the potential to walk through that "cloud" before it falls to the ground.  It's the whole idea behind staying 6 ft apart. 

Again, this whole thing is a spectrum and all about probabilities.  Even if I stand < 6 ft by someone with known COVID-19 for 5 minutes, I'm not guaranteed to catch it.  But my chances are certainly higher than if I was 6 ft away.  Or if they had a mask.  Or if they didn't talk or cough.

There are hundreds of variables.  If we completely eliminated any type of person to person contact, this disease would be gone in 14 days.  But that's impossible to do.  So we take part in measures that are reasonable to accomplish to try and limit the spread as much as possible.  Stay 6 ft away from people outside of your home.  All people.  Grocery stores, walking outside, anything.  This way if they have it, the likelihood of you getting it is significantly reduced.  Or the likelihood of you passing it on is significantly reduced.  Wash your hands.  You won't get your hands 100% clean, but you'll get closer.  Don't touch your face.  If we were to ALL do these relatively simple things, we'll slow this thing down.  Not to 0, but we reduce that transmissibility of R0 = 2.2 (or whatever it is now) to a much lower number and slow the spread down significantly. 

Nope. Not since Friday the 20th. I was washing/sanitizing about as often at work, though (desk jockey).
I am a hand sanitizing freak normally, but definitely dont have extra focus inside my house now that pretty much nobody is coming and going.
Hand santizer next to my laptop at all times and partaken of regularly -- old habit.

Years ago, when the acronym "OCD" first started getting known among the general public, there was a television news-program segment (like on 20/20 or something) about people suffering obsessive-compulsive disorder. I distinctly remember one woman being followed around by a camera crew that kept catching her washing her hands (this was a few years before hand sanitizer was much used by anyone outside of healthcare). The voiceover ominously intoned, "She washes her hands up to 30 times a day" as if THAT was some kind of specific diagnostic sign.

Like 30 times a day was some crazy, insane number. I think the woman had a baby at home and was handling diapers, dirty laundry, used bottles, etc. Why wouldn't she be washing her hands 30 times a day?

So ... I guess I've always been OCD about it, at least by the (diagnostic) book :shrug:  I've always had a hard time beating the common cold (< a week for most people, 2-4 weeks for me) so I guess I developed different hand hygiene habits from others. And I certainly kept up with hand hygiene working in food service (dirty dishes, grime around ice machines and bars, etc., etc. ... gross as frack).

I mean -- what was the run of humanity doing about hand washing as a person-to-person average? Was 30 times a day for someone caring for an infant really "label-able" as "OCD"?

My wife and I had a sit down yesterday, and now I am almost 100% convinced that we both had this MONTHS ago.... 

There are theories within france (and other parts of europe) that covid has been there for quiet some time... so here we go.

December my wife and I go to france to see our family. she goes 1.5 weeks before me, and days in starts telling me she's quite sick w a bad cough, sore throat a slight fever, but the doctor there said it wasnt pneumonia. she's not one for meds, so bails... 

I get there and she's absolutely unbareable, coughing every 30sec, a vicious cough that goes from morning to night. she's slightly delusional etc... finally make her see a doc again and she gets a bunch of meds, including some sizzurp (as we used to say)... takes a few days to start working, but let's say 3+ weeks for her to rid of this thing, basically ruining our trip.

we get back, and i end up with the WORST flu like symptoms i may have ever had. sore throat, dont remember if i had a BAD cough, but a cough for sure... 2 days shivering in bed and i remember almost none of it.

we're freaking ourselves out now, but this theory holds a lot of weight... we landed in paris, which is a HUGE chinese hub for business, as is Milan/northern italy....

i was pretty chill about this, but now im reallt starting to wonder if we had a real early/less threatening case, or just coincidence/flu?

we are both pretty healthy ppl who rarely get ill.
I seriously doubt it, but pretty soon you'll likely be able to find out whenever the testing is available.  

So are walks even safe? This is insane. I mean if somebody you don’t even see coughs and you walk through it 5 minutes later you could catch? I feel like I’m going crazy. 
Two things:

a) Even that article says that forceful singing could have been ejecting particles from their mouths further than what people normally do while walking about, etc.

b) IMHO, that article is a bit sensationalist. Just because a bunch of people were together in one place doesn't mean "The only answer is spooky airborne transmission at a distance!!!" They could have caught COVID before or after choir practice. Some might have caught it via fomites at the church, in the parking lot, etc. IOW, all possible means of transmission besides catching it at choir practice hadn't been ruled out -- blaming the choir practice is a jump to a conclusion.

I seriously doubt it, but pretty soon you'll likely be able to find out whenever the testing is available.  
Im pretty sure I could get tested as I work for the govt, and am still working... so shouldnt be an issue.

but im not taking 2 tests away from people who may genuinely need it. we have no symptoms since then, so im not pulling a ##### move just to know... would it even show up now? probably not

Im pretty sure I could get tested as I work for the govt, and am still working... so shouldnt be an issue.

but im not taking 2 tests away from people who may genuinely need it. we have no symptoms since then, so im not pulling a ##### move just to know... would it even show up now? probably not
I think he probably meant the antibody test

I believe that soon there will be antibody tests that will show whether you've had it or not in the past.  I really don't think you did.  If so, the timelines are all screwed up.  

I know that in the March 17 study this article cites, they sprayed some virus**-laced aerosol into a big fast-rotating metal drum. Then they stopped the drum and took an air sample after 30 minutes to see if they could detect any virus. Surprise -- they did! That's the most compelling evidence anyone has found of aerosol transmission to date.

So steer clear of any big rotating metal drums on your walking path -- especially if you just watched someone cough into it.

** Don't even think it was SARS-CoV-2 that they tested. Some other coronavirus, but probably similar in particle size.

If so, the timelines are all screwed up.  
yep. again this is based on ongoing theories (in the medical community) of europe who are starting to wonder if it arrived much earlier than believed.

but who knows. im obviously hoping not. but it's paranoid times

Was food packaging (both take-out and groceries) EVER much of a virus vector?

I mean, I know it's certainly possible in theory, and CAN happen ... but I feel like the threat from mail, food, groceries, etc. is somewhat overblown. Not in a "just the flu, bro!" way ... just that something seems to be lacking with food packaging as a successful virus vector for any illness - past or present.

I recognize that unwashed produce can be a vector for illness. And I know about, for example, the various issues Blue Bell ice cream plants have had with listeria. But those aren't actually problems with food packaging per se spreading virus.
We dont have proof of any surfaces being the cause yet. Thats not even really something you could prove this early anyway. 

It is simple logic. If the virus can last on a surface and that is a risk, there is nothing special about food packaging that makes it immune so therefore it is also a risk. 

I am not cleaning all of my groceries. But that isnt because I think they are special, I just refuse to go through that and will take my chances. I assume you are making the same choice. 

Some people are taking different precautions. The only thing I am trying to point out is that washing all the groceries isnt much different than wiping off your grocery cart or other precautions.

Obviously more people touch the grocery cart, but thats the only difference. It means the odds of an infected person having touched it are higher. But more people wipe off grocery carts too. So the odds probably arent too different. 

Mostly just trying to reassure people that are doing all of this that they arent crazy. But, I repeat, I am not washing my groceries. 

Now toilet paper packaging on the other hand, i am taking a powerwasher with bleach solution to since it could have blood on it these days. 

Users who are viewing this thread