• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

1 hour ago, shader said:

Anyone from Louisiana know how well the testing is going?  Their mortality rate is sky-high so I'm assuming they aren't testing all that well.  

the last 4 days, if I have figured correctly from what I had jotted down from our state department of health's official numbers, we've had the following number of tests per 24 hours:

3330 (Friday)

3802 (Saturday)

2710 (Sunday)

6162 (today)

Not sure why the dip Saturday to Sunday, but they made up for it today.  And strictly from my own figuring, from the numbers of tests completed above, the percentage of # of positives has ranged from 7 to 14% each day. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Constitution is superceded by emergency declarations.

Link on that?

Unless it's in the Constitution it can't supersede the Constitution.  All I could find was article 1, section 9 on martial law (which hasn't been declared).  I believe we've declared a national emergency under the National Emergencies Act, which is subservient to the Constitution.  I'm no scholar, but that's my reading.

Just now, Sand said:

Link on that?

Unless it's in the Constitution it can't supersede the Constitution.  All I could find was article 1, section 9 on martial law (which hasn't been declared).  I believe we've declared a national emergency under the National Emergencies Act, which is subservient to the Constitution.  I'm no scholar, but that's my reading.

I would agree with you that it seems highly unconstitutional.

But it was also an extremely dumb decision and shows that the pastor doesn't care about his people, so I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.

4 minutes ago, Sand said:

Link on that?

My bad, it was likely martial law I was thinking of.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Their numbers are now updated, I apologize as they may have only had a partial update and the time I posted. I removed France from my post.

The weekend numbers in general have looked a little wonky the past couple weeks.  I think comparing week over week might be the best way to go.

4 minutes ago, Sand said:

Link on that?

They can still assemble.  There's just a limit on the number of people.  Same way if the building is coded for 400 people by the fire department and they decide to put in 1000, the Constitution doesn't protect that decision. 

They were also free to transmit the service online.  Once again, their constitutional right to express freedom of religion wasn't encumbered by the executive order. 

They are not immune to emergency orders.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Italy, Spain, and Germany all are reporting decreases.

Growth rate in The Netherlands is also down for the 3rd day in a row. Measures seem to be helping over here!

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

super cold take, perhaps... but anyone who CHOSE to go on a cruise in thelast 1-2 weeks deserves to be stuck on that ship for the foreseeable future.

absolute zero pity. none

i have a 9 nighter planned for september 2020, leaving from civitavecchia (rome) and there's no way i am hopping on that one.  people like to complain, especially about big bad cruise lines, its what they do.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, shader said:

But it was also an extremely dumb decision and shows that the pastor doesn't care about his people, so I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it.

Completely agree.  Dude is an idiot and anyone who went to those services needs a good spanking.  We've been on virtual church services for 3 weeks now.  Boring as heck, but it's something.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, rick6668 said:

My wife works in a county run Long Term Care facility (Health Information Technology).  Employee at the facility tested positive today.  Wife has no idea who it is.  Not sure how things are going to go moving forward.

This pisses me off so much. 

If people test positive release the damn information so we can avoid them or their kids or spouses or know if we have been in contact. 

If I ride in an elevator on tuesday with Sandy from legal who I worked with on an unemployment case last year and I hear she tested positive on thursday, I have a better chance of remembering I saw her on tuesday than she has of remembering that she saw me. I have to remember if I was in contact with her. She would have to remember if she was in contact with 500 people. Obviously much easier to remember one person than list off 500. 

I get HIPAA is a law. It should be set aside in times like this, just like we are setting aside all sorts of other civil liberties. Either we are completely free or we set some stuff aside. Which is it? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

They can still assemble.  There's just a limit on the number of people.  Same way if the building is coded for 400 people by the fire department and they decide to put in 1000, the Constitution doesn't protect that decision. 

They were also free to transmit the service online.  Once again, their constitutional right to express freedom of religion wasn't encumbered by the executive order. 

They are not immune to emergency orders.

So at what number does it start to infringe?  3?  10?  25?  You seem the lawyerly type, maybe you can opine.

10 minutes ago, shader said:

I would agree with you that it seems highly unconstitutional.

Agreed. But at this point it was kind of dumb for all the people to show up too. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

super cold take, perhaps... but anyone who CHOSE to go on a cruise in thelast 1-2 weeks deserves to be stuck on that ship for the foreseeable future.

absolute zero pity. none

Assuming you're talking about the ship discussed above, the passengers embarked on March 7, not within the last 1-2 weeks.  The cruise began in Argentina and was scheduled to end in Chile on March 21.  Beginning March 14, they've been trying to end the cruise and get the people off the ship, but were denied by every country along the way.

Not a given where they'll end up now, either, as a lot of politicians in Fort Lauderdale, where they're headed, have expressed that they don't want to let the ship dock there.

• Like 1

Botswana has its first three reported cases in the COVID Worldometers site.  Just three!  What's the big deal, right?  What concerns me is looking at the primary chart sorted in reverse order of the first reported case.  The countries with the highest reported cases, like the US and Italy, first reported cases in the latter half of January.  But many, many other countries just started seeing cases in March.  They're a full five to ten weeks behind!  Turkey, for example, reported its first case three weeks ago and has now climbed to 12th in the listing of reported cases, and they're still on a rapid growth path.  It seems a key element is whether other countries have learned the benefits of social distancing quickly enough to break the growth trends of 10-15% a day.  Unless the trends do change, we could be looking at a doubling every week, which leads to 15-20 million cases by the end of April.  I know, Debbie Downer here.  

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, Sand said:

So at what number does it start to infringe?  3?  10?  25?  You seem the lawyerly type, maybe you can opine.

Oh, I'm far from the lawyerly type.  Plenty of lawyers here who can argue this much better and certainly with more experience/expertise than myself.

I'm just looking at the basics of what's being argued.  I wouldn't know what number.  But when a temporary order like this is in place, I would assume that there's some basis behind it or else it wouldn't do any good.  So if others have to follow it, I don't see how their constitutional rights are infringed upon. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

I should be in for 3 weeks. It's really fresh produce for me and my pet that sends me out every 2 weeks.

that's likely one of the reasons that italy is so crushed right now.  they shop daily and many at open air markets, especially for fresh produce.  refrigerators are small, even dorm sized, so overshopping and freezing is not something they really practice.  only substitutue for fresh produce is growing your own really.  frozen is a bit better than canned. 

1 minute ago, tri-man 47 said:

Botswana has its first three reported cases in the COVID Worldometers site.  Just three!  What's the big deal, right?  What concerns me is looking at the primary chart sorted in reverse order of the first reported case.  The countries with the highest reported cases, like the US and Italy, first reported cases in the latter half of January.  But many, many other countries just started seeing cases in March.  They're a full five to ten weeks behind!  Turkey, for example, reported its first case three weeks ago and has now climbed to 12th in the listing of reported cases, and they're still on a rapid growth path.  It seems a key element is whether other countries have learned the benefits of social distancing quickly enough to break the growth trends of 10-15% a day.  Unless the trends do change, we could be looking at a doubling every week, which leads to 15-20 million cases by the end of April.  I know, Debbie Downer here.  

One would hope in those equatorial African nations that the heat comes on and helps quash the virus.  Otherwise places like this are going to be in horrid situations.

• Like 1
Just now, Chemical X said:

that's likely one of the reasons that italy is so crushed right now.  they shop daily and many at open air markets, especially for fresh produce.  refrigerators are small, even dorm sized, so overshopping and freezing is not something they really practice.  only substitutue for fresh produce is growing your own really.  frozen is a bit better than canned. 

Hmmm, that explains the popularity of shelf-stable dairy products over there. 

5 minutes ago, Sand said:

One would hope in those equatorial African nations that the heat comes on and helps quash the virus.  Otherwise places like this are going to be in horrid situations.

It is going to start getting colder in the southern hemisphere

my parents fridge in france is 100% dorm sized. everything is market bought 3-4 days/week. markets are no more.

i talked them into a "deepfreezer" to add to the garage 2-3yrs ago, and we're all glad they listened... 

but ya, small fridges are generally the norm in france/spain/italy

9 minutes ago, Sand said:

We've been on virtual church services for 3 weeks now.  Boring as heck, but it's something.

The same for us for 3 weeks, but our small congregation (~125-150 attendance/week) has been enjoying the on-line services very much.  Our young co-pastors, after the first week, have been FB live-streaming from their home with some cutaways to taped or live music by some of the members.  Sermons are a little shorter, and include some additional visuals, and they're very good.  We get a little banter going in the comments section, which is nice and fun.  This time of alternative format will always carry some positive memories for us.

Something else going on with our church:  For the last year or two we did an NCAA bracket pool ($20 entry) as a fundraiser for the senior high mission trip during the summer.  But ..no tourney this year.  Instead, we set up a Bible Bracktology - a 64-person pool of Bible characters (and a few animals) in a silly yet fun "who would win in a basketball game?" contest.  The co-pastors put together the brackets and pre-selected their winners based on any-and-all logic of who the characters were and their strengths.  (E.g., quick, clever David was able to beat the lumbering Goliath.)  One of the pastors has done a fun taping to announce two sets of the first round winners.  My one beef so far - they had Paul winning over Peter.  I was sure that Peter would pick up three fouls before the first horn sounded and therefore struggle the rest of the way ...  

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Sand said:

Link on that?

It's no different than not being able to yell fire in a movie theater, not joking about a bomb in the airport security line, or not being able to take your assault rifle on a White House tour. Pretty sure the Constitution is silent on all those.

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Hmmm, that explains the popularity of shelf-stable dairy products over there. 

Yeah, i never really thought much about that stuff, but when you wander thru a grocery, there are cases of parmalat laying around.  We actually use Grifo Latte, i think it has like a red lion with a crown on the box.  All the bars just have the stuff laying around.  I figure that since most coffees have some type of foam or milk in them, they prefer not to use a cold product.  They do have cold milk, but most of it is shelved like water here.  I could take months talking about how different society is there.........Also, the smoking rate has to much much higher than here, though i suspect all europeans countries smoke like fiends.  I wonder if there is a correlation between Covid and smokers.  Does smoking compromise the system? 

5 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

my parents fridge in france is 100% dorm sized. everything is market bought 3-4 days/week. markets are no more.

i talked them into a "deepfreezer" to add to the garage 2-3yrs ago, and we're all glad they listened... 

are they french or are they ex-pats?

12 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

June freaking 10th.  That's three months total at the Dinsy HH.

Supposed to go to the Cayman Islands on June 11th. I'm hoping my state doesn't adopt something similar and that the world still exists in navigable form then.

3 minutes ago, Chemical X said:

Yeah, i never really thought much about that stuff, but when you wander thru a grocery, there are cases of parmalat laying around.  We actually use Grifo Latte, i think it has like a red lion with a crown on the box.  All the bars just have the stuff laying around.  I figure that since most coffees have some type of foam or milk in them, they prefer not to use a cold product.  They do have cold milk, but most of it is shelved like water here.  I could take months talking about how different society is there.........Also, the smoking rate has to much much higher than here, though i suspect all europeans countries smoke like fiends.  I wonder if there is a correlation between Covid and smokers.  Does smoking compromise the system? 

yep, always laugh, even after all these years, of seeing plastic bottles of milk being stored in the closet... just seems so wrong.

recall how odd it was seeing eggs out of the fridge when i lived in australia... it was explained to me, and made sense... but i forget the reasoning, tho im sure it can easily be ggogled.

anyways... re: smoking... not all that sure. i think it's paris "chic" to smoke... but outside of paris i dont think i see more smokers than i do in the us/canada

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...

• Sad 82
34 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Virginia just ordered a lockdown...

...until June 10th???

I don't understand the benefit of placing the date out that far. Do it for a month, and extend if needed.  Sure, they could rescind it and pull the date in if things miraculously improve, but things are moving fast on this. Better to keep it to a few weeks at a time, and move out as needed.

1 minute ago, skillz said:

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...

jesus... condolences. no advice here... just condolences

• Like 2
1 minute ago, skillz said:

Jeeez man, I'm SO sorry.  You must be going through hell inside.  Life can be really really cruel sometimes, but I'm hoping that subsides for you soon.  Deep condolences for the loss of your dad. :(

• Like 1
  • Love 3
Just now, themeanmachine said:

I don't understand the benefit of placing the date out that far. Do it for a month, and extend if needed.  Sure, they could rescind it and pull the date in if things miraculously improve, but things are moving fast on this. Better to keep it to a few weeks at a time, and move out as needed.

Yeah. You really need buyin most importantly in next 30 days. Picking a date 10 weeks out isnt the way to get people to follow the plan.

22 minutes ago, Sand said:

I think everything we've seen so far has completely dispelled the heat myth.

3 hours ago, [icon] said:

COVID-19 Drives Command Teams Charged With Homeland Defense Into Cheyenne Mountain Bunker

Another US military command and control element is also now isolated in a third, undisclosed location.

U.S. Northern Command has dispersed essential command and control teams to multiple hardened locations, including the famous Cheyenne Mountain bunker complex in Colorado, as well as another unspecified site, and is keeping them in isolation. The command took these steps to help ensure these personnel can continue to watch around the clock for potential threats to the U.S. homeland as the COVID-19 pandemiccontinues to expand across the country and around the world, including within the U.S. military.

U.S. Air Force General Terrence O’Shaughnessy, head of Northern Command (NORTHCOM), who also serves as the commanding officer of the U.S.-Canadian North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), detailed the changes during a virtual town hall on Facebook on Mar. 24, 2020. Under normal circumstances, the watch teams, which support both NORTHCOM and NORAD missions, would take shifts staffing a central command center at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado. 

Cheyenne Mountain is a hardened command and control site, the bulk of which is located inside the mountain of same name, which is part of the Rocky Mountains' Front Range and is situated just outside of Colorado Springs. Between 1965 and 2006, the complex served as NORAD's primary command and control center. It was also home to U.S. Space Commandbetween 1985 and 2002. It has also been a central feature in, or otherwise referred to, in a wide array of popular media, perhaps most famously being a key setting in the 1983 film WarGames."

I can see that place from my front yard. Glad they are all safe up there, while the rest of us down here fight over TP. :P

• Laughing 2
9 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

I've been advocating for a freezer in the garage for years but my wife has always been against it. Whenever she would ask "why do we need a huge freezer" I would respond either "zombie apocalypse" or "I want to be a serial killer when I grow up" or "weren't you watching that dateline about the happily married couple whose wife disappeared"  or "I want one"- none of which were apparently the correct answers. However, thanks to covid19, we have a freezer being delivered on Tuesday. I am hoping she is now a little more open minded to my suggestion we get the Tesla Cybertruck - also good for the zombie apocalypse.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, themeanmachine said:

With the "unless rescinded" part makes it mainly semantics, I think.

Virginia hasn't been incredibly aggressive on this. Not FL or MS level of hands-off, but not as aggressive as I'd have expected. AFAIK, dine-in eating is still allowed, but with the 10 person rule (I think the only difference is now, it's not a suggestion but an order). 

My guess is that throwing a date on it that far out is an attempt to get the public to take it more seriously. 

19 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

The same for us for 3 weeks, but our small congregation (~125-150 attendance/week) has been enjoying the on-line services very much.  Our young co-pastors, after the first week, have been FB live-streaming from their home with some cutaways to taped or live music by some of the members.  Sermons are a little shorter, and include some additional visuals, and they're very good.  We get a little banter going in the comments section, which is nice and fun.  This time of alternative format will always carry some positive memories for us.

Something else going on with our church:  For the last year or two we did an NCAA bracket pool ($20 entry) as a fundraiser for the senior high mission trip during the summer.  But ..no tourney this year.  Instead, we set up a Bible Bracktology - a 64-person pool of Bible characters (and a few animals) in a silly yet fun "who would win in a basketball game?" contest.  The co-pastors put together the brackets and pre-selected their winners based on any-and-all logic of who the characters were and their strengths.  (E.g., quick, clever David was able to beat the lumbering Goliath.)  One of the pastors has done a fun taping to announce two sets of the first round winners.  My one beef so far - they had Paul winning over Peter.  I was sure that Peter would pick up three fouls before the first horn sounded and therefore struggle the rest of the way ...  

That's pretty cool. Was Jesus one of the players? Because if so, that's totally not fair.

• Laughing 1