Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

That's because China was covering up and WHO was buying into what China was telling them.

No, they weren't. They were working with the only information given to them at the time. Nobody was buying anything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Nothing works. I’ve been trying everything out on my route the past two days. My sunglasses fog up no matter what I tried. I gave up, I’m  wearing a surgical mask and latex gloves, no sunglasses. It sucks but it is what it is. 

motorcycle helmet with flip up faceguard

cooler

cheaper

Seriously, this is a very good face shield at a very good price.

3 hours ago, Ben Hur said:

Anyone got a DIY mask thing that you can sew?  My kids got a legit sewing machine off craigslist to do something or other ages ago.  

3 hours ago, Statorama said:

Man, that is an excellent thought.  Keeps the kids busy with something that will be a productive use of their time.  Great thinking.

I'm probably 20 pages behind but there are lots of videos out there for them https://safishing.com/shop/int-buy-1-get-4-free-neck-gaiters/#configuration

And frankly, I will be rocking these in the future. I wear a balaclava running/riding in the winter months and there is just something cool about it. So why not be health conscience AND cool?

1 hour ago, jonessed said:

China hid the virus, destroyed samples, jailed doctors that spoke out, and scrubbed information up until the virus had already spread out of the country.  You are free to lavish them with praise, but I certainly will not.  Their selfishness caused all of this.

wish I could give this post a million likes. The Chinese authorities don't give a rat's ### for their own people, much less the rest of the world.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, falguy said:

This will probably sound lame but I wear glasses and am a mouth breather . when I wear a mask, which I have tried for certain household projects , my glasses fog up. Like all the time. Its annoying.  

Maybe a simple scarf over my mouth and nose wont be as bad. Havent tried.

With glasses the trick is to wear the mask up high on the nose.

It works, as evidenced by the thousands of healthcare workers and Asians who successfully combine masks and glasses daily :)

28 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

At best, this is what China has to answer to...

Learning by late December (at the latest) that this was spread human to human. And the telling WHO in mid January that they had no evidence of human to human transmission.

This is an act that simply can't go unpunished and must never happen again.

Watcha got in mind there Shooter?

20 minutes ago, Klimtology said:

Coronavirus could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours MIT researcher 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-could-travel-27-feet-stay-in-air-for-hours-mit-researcher/

No it can't, there was somebody, somewhere in this 400+ pages of information that said it couldn't so no masks!

2 minutes ago, Possum said:

wish I could give this post a million likes. The Chinese authorities don't give a rat's ### for their own people, much less the rest of the world.

who is "lavishing them with praise"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Possum said:

You'll probably get your chance, because at this rate, he'll probably post something similar a million times.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

31 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-the-coronavirus-spread-around-the-world-so-rapidly-and-what-we-can-learn-from-missteps-made-in-those-critical-early-days-2020-03-04

Scroll down to the timeline of events. When you reach January 11th you'll find this...

Jan. 11: China announces the first known death from the coronavirus: a 61-year-old man who had bought food at the Wuhan market. WHO receives “detailed information” from Chinese authorities that there is “no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission” linked to coronavirus cases found.

This was made irrelevant just a few days later, when cases started jumping by over 30% per day.  At that point, alarm bells should have gone off in every single country in the world.

If you want to justify inaction between January 11th and January 17th, that's a fair point.

But after that date, there's no excuse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, [scooter] said:

If you want to justify inaction between January 11th and January 17th, that's a fair point.

But after that date, there's no excuse.

Even sooner IMO.  The doctor who discovered the first four cases between 12/26 and 12/30 immediately recognized something was wrong/new/bad and was shut down by the government.  Totally fair to trash them for it.

But by the time the US got involved in the timeline no one believed any of that stuff anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, falguy said:

If that's true, and I'm not saying it isn't then

a) it won't be long before we're all mandated to wear them. At least I would hope it wouldn't be long.

b) I'll wear something when out as required

c) why in the hell were medical professionals so adamant that it wasn't required for this long.  That would be a lot of egg on their faces.

It is a ton of egg on their faces. Even now.

IMO any medical professional out there telling people they don't need a mask and should donate it is acting poorly. It is the crappiest way you can go about this issue. 

There is a huge difference between asking for something and misleading somebody to get it regardless if you need it more. 

One thing I thought of recently upon learning how hospitals/medical are burning through PPE. Estimated to use 3 billion, maybe more. That small donation of masks from a basement is almost nothing. The odds of getting in a car accident have to be higher than the odds that the small lot of masks would prevent a case of covid. Maybe if you had a hundred of them it pushes it over the threshold, but one box? Yeah, wear it yourself.

Edited by parasaurolophus
  • Like 1

Just so you all know, the WHO/China thing is a political thing being pushed on right wing sites today. This isn’t a political thread, so please keep your partisan talking points to the other forum.  This forum isn’t one where we can discuss who is at fault for where we stand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, NotSmart said:

An N95 mask is what I'd want to be wearing if I walked down an aisle that someone had sneezed in 30 seconds prior.

You're clearly not the only one. 

All I can tell you is this.  When going in to evaluate someone that has actual respiratory illness (cough/fever) and possible/suspected COVID, I'm not wearing an N95 mask.  That's in an enclosed space with likely infection and active coughing and right next to them (< 6 ft).  Simple surgical mask and eye protection along with gown and gloves.  And it's not due to lack of N95 where I am as I have it available. 

And it's certainly not because I'm taking COVID lightly.  If medical providers aren't even using N95 masks during actual interactions with this disease, then not sure how else you'd be convinced that you just don't need it walking down the aisle of a grocery store, even if someone just sneezed or coughed near you (i.e. > 6 ft away).  If you're that concerned about someone sneezing near you, just walk in the other direction for a few minutes (even though it's not necessary). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, shader said:

Just so you all know, the WHO/China thing is a political thing being pushed on right wing sites today. This isn’t a political thread, so please keep your partisan talking points to the other forum.  This forum isn’t one where we can discuss who is at fault for where we stand.

You're the one making this political. I don't read or visit "right wing sites" so throwing around that notion to the people sharing timelines about why masks weren't recommended earlier is "political" and "right wing" is an irresponsible misrepresentation of what's going on here.

People want to know - what went wrong? Why are we seemingly so late to come to the realization that masks could be useful in preventing the spread? People are giving them factual answers by providing the known sequence of events. That's not political until people like you take it as an attack on China. I'm not going to share facts and have you sit here and try to have it quieted because you deem it political. You yourself have spent countless posts trying to shift the focus of blame on the CDC, US officials, and the current administration. And now suddenly you're going to tell us all it's a political discussion and needs to stop. Get over yourself.

When the facts stop supporting your narrative - shut down the sharing of facts.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, falguy said:

If that's true, and I'm not saying it isn't then

a) it won't be long before we're all mandated to wear them. At least I would hope it wouldn't be long.

b) I'll wear something when out as required

c) why in the hell were medical professionals so adamant that it wasn't required for this long.  That would be a lot of egg on their faces.

Sorry you feel this way but, firstly, with a new disease such as this, things can change and change often.  Secondly, there still may not be a good basis for the recommendation.  As I mentioned earlier, the idea behind universal mask use in public is to curb spreading it, not to prevent catching it because of the mask.

This is from today and explains a lot of what's coming out now about whether to mask or not.

Perhaps that's something we'll learn from this and can use moving forward, though.  Along with that, remove the stigma of wearing a mask in public.  At this point, I would be in favor of requiring simple mask use in public by everyone.  I think with other measures, it could go a long way in helping fight further spread.

ETA -- I'm actually just reading now how the Surgeon General actually stated to NOT wear masks in public.  I didn't realize that was an actual recommendation earlier on.  That's different than not advocating for their use.  All I can tell you is that I don't think that was a general consensus among medical professionals other than to not steal them from medical facilities (which was happening at a significant rate to where they had to be hidden) and that N95s were not necessary (and should be left for the medical providers). 

That's a pretty strong statement for the surgeon general to make and I don't quite understand the rationale behind it. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

I just started wearing full SCUBA gear every time I go out. The tank is heavy and awkward, but I think it's worth it. The flippers are probably unnecessary, but the rest of the ensemble looks really dumb when paired with black leather cap-toe oxfords.

No Politics

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

45 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

So how many people do you really think died in China?

I don't know. This report is interesting. It may be pure poppycock. It may be heartbreakingly true. We may never know.
In addition we now have lots of data from places whose numbers are reported transparently so we need not look to places like China, Iran or Turkey for answers.

Edited by msommer
  • Thanks 2

soooooooooooooo, you know how I was telling you that story 2 days ago of my wife being COVID-ly ill during our trip back to france in November, and me getting it shortly thereafter?

we were watching BFM TV (channel from france) and they ran a story of French and Italian doctors as early as November diagnosing several cases of flu/pneumonia like symptoms, that werent actually flu/pneumonia and they didn't know what it was.

EXACTLY what the doctor there told my wife.... 

I'm convinced now. We had it. THis thing has been going around for MONTHS.

eta: yes, I know im being paranoid, but jesu almighty

Edited by Soulfly3
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

soooooooooooooo, you know how I was telling you that story 2 days ago of my wife being COVID-ly ill during our trip back to france in November, and me getting it shortly thereafter?

we were watching BFM TV (channel from france) and they ran a story of French and Italian doctors as early as November diagnosing several cases of flu/pneumonia like symptoms, that werent actually flu/pneumonia and they didn't know what it was.

Look at me, I had Covid before it was even invented

:rolleyes:

• Laughing 1

32 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

So how many people do you really think died in China?

My friend who is an infectious disease doctor said that you should just add a zero to their reported case and deaths numbers. Though I do think they were able to put a lid on it and there are valuable lessons to learn from them even if there early response was severely flawed. 

Edited by Redwes25

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Hopefully, it was Covid you guys had, as it would be a great peace of mind. I imagine soon, you’ll be able to get a test to confirm

Just now, msommer said:

Look at me, I had Covid before it was even invented

:rolleyes:

nah, the more and more i hear, especially about china... im convinced this was an issue for a while now.

they're also reporting 21millions LESS cell phone logins on chinese networks in the past month or months (from chinese phones)... something about the govt tracking their ppl

IM LOSING IT :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

nah, the more and more i hear, especially about china... im convinced this was an issue for a while now.

they're also reporting 21millions LESS cell phone logins on chinese networks in the past month or months (from chinese phones)... something about the govt tracking their ppl

IM LOSING IT :lol: 

source?

34 minutes ago, shader said:

dude, I don't read any political sites - right wing or otherwise - so please don't paint everyone with the same brush. I think China's govt are a bunch of bad guys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Thus the issue with conspiracy theories.  On the one hand, we are vastly over reporting the cfr and this is an overblown flu.  On the other hand, China way under-reported the deaths.  

Edited by shader
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msommer said:

Truer words have never been spoken. Granted, they have been spoken before...

im just discussing the facts of what we dealt with... neither of us in our 30+yrs on earth were that sick before from a "flu". like i said, i recovered and almost had no memory of it, aside from being freezingly cold and dripping sweat and not moving for 2 days.

wife has an uncontrollable cough 24/7, and almost went a full 10 days without sleep and breathing problems.

i hope it wasnt, but stories are starting to take shape dating back to early november... this was late november.