What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Oh I think we can stay in business and survive—but before this pandemic—we were thriving.  I’m almost certain that it will be a while before we can “thrive” again.  Our showroom is 450 square feet and before the pandemic we had 3 people working at any given time—and our entire staff is 6 people.  Our showroom is in the shape of a large rectangle—with two long rows of display cases running down each side. Effectively—there’s an alleyway down the middle of our shop where customers can check out our displays.  If we want to practice proper social distancing standards (which is what we will want to do)—we can’t really have more than 2 customers in our shop at any given time.  That is going to hurt us as we are typically a high volume shop.  

Secondly—we have to look at protecting our business in regards to the employee side of things. We can’t really have 3 people working at the shop at any given time moving forward being that if one infected customer comes in and exposes the staff to the virus—half of our staff would be quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks. Therefore—we’d have to drop to 2 employees a day—which means that every employee will be making less and working fewer hours.  

Lastly—brick and mortar stores were fighting for margins even before the pandemic.  Now we will have to have reduced customers and we will have to bear the burden of much higher expenses.  We’ll have to supply employees gloves and masks. We’ll also have to have a supply of masks for customers as we’ll want them to be masked up as well.   We’ll have to double or triple the amount of wipes, sanitizer, cleaning supples that we provide.  We’ll have to do a thorough disinfecting/cleaning of the store several times a day and completely wipe down all counters after each customer.  These types of expenses will eat up margins.  Heck—I just purchased an industrial grade uv-c sanitation chamber out of my own pocket so that we can disinfect any watch, piece of jewelry and also sanitize our own tools and instruments to insure the safety of our customers and our employees. I also purchased 5 uv-c lamps out of my pocket so that we can sanitize areas of the shop before opening and after closing to aid in keeping us super sanitized. Essentially—we’ll have to somehow thrive on working with limited volume in regards to clients, and higher overhead—all in an environment that is risky at best.  Seeing 40-60 customers a day when there is a virus out there that could force us to quarantine is scary in and of itself. I’m really hoping that they develop a treatment or vaccine soon. 
love it.  I mean, it sucks that you have to take all these precautions and will be losing revenue, but I love that you have plans in place to deal with all of this.  Yeah, it's going to be tough, for sure.  

I wonder what else you can expand into to help.  Custom jewlery, estate sales and/or consignment, larger internet presence, etc.  I'm sure you have thought of all of this much more than I have.

I wish you luck!

Bill Gates has just announced that he and his foundation are accelerating the COVID-19 response effort by building factories for all seven of the most promising vaccines currently in development—even though only one or two of them will likely be produced.

Gates discussed the initiative during his at-home interview with The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah this week.

“Because our foundation has such deep expertise in infectious diseases, we’ve thought about the epidemic, we did fund some things to be more prepared, like a vaccine effort,” Gates said. “Our early money can accelerate things.”

Despite how building factories for all seven vaccines in development will likely waste billions of dollars in construction costs, Gates says that having facilities ready for any one of the treatments will likely end up saving thousands of lives in the long run.

RELATED: NBA Players Recovered From COVID-19 Are Donating Plasma to Clinical Trials Helping Sick Patients

“Even though we’ll end up picking at most two of them, we’re going to fund factories for all seven, just so that we don’t waste time in serially saying, ‘OK, which vaccine works?’ and then building the factory,” he said.

In an op-ed that was published in The Washington Post last week, Gates added: “To bring the disease to an end, we’ll need a safe and effective vaccine. If we do everything right, we could have one in less than 18 months—about the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed.

“We can start now by building the facilities where these vaccines will be made. Because many of the top candidates are made using unique equipment, we’ll have to build facilities for each of them, knowing that some won’t get used. Private companies can’t take that kind of risk, but the federal government can. It’s a great sign that the administration made deals this week with at least two companies to prepare for vaccine manufacturing. I hope more deals will follow.

Link
not to get political, but hooray for the administration!

Non-China Reported Cases

4/6 - 1,264,826 reported cases - 71,366 dead - USA 367,004 cases - 10,871 dead

4/7 - 1,349,179 reported cases - 78,703 dead - USA 400,335 cases - 12,841 dead

4/8 - 1,435,929 reported cases - 85,121 dead - USA 434,698 cases - 14,787 dead

4/9 - 1,521,741 reported cases - 92,380 dead - USA 468,566 cases - 16,691 dead - Active USA cases 425,947

4/10 - 1,615,613 reported cases - 99,349 dead - USA 502,036 cases - 18,717 dead - Active USA cases 456,080

4/11 - 1,698,260 reported cases - 105,487 dead - USA 532,879 cases - 20,577 dead - Active USA cases 481,849 

4/12 - 1,770,995 reported cases - 110,906 dead - USA 560,433 cases - 22,115 dead - Active USA cases 505,684

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0
So based on the past several days, the U.S. is on a linear track of adding about 100,000 new cases every three days.  If we stay on that trend, we would reach 1 million cases on about April 25. Will it go up with more testing?  Will it decrease as the curve flattens?  Something to watch. 

So based on the past several days, the U.S. is on a linear track of adding about 100,000 new cases every three days.  If we stay on that trend, we would reach 1 million cases on about April 25. Will it go up with more testing?  Will it decrease as the curve flattens?  Something to watch. 
is the curve flattening because we have maxed out our current testing capabilities?

Sacrificing myself on the altar of the doomers who never question a doctor/scientist (even though the Trump they hate is following his dictates):

Maybe the predictor has a motive to make sure he doesn't look like an idiot?  Maybe he was wrong all along but can't cop to it? (he/they, he/they)

Maybe we shouldn't have shut down civilization?  Maybe we should have gone about our lives wearing masks/distancing/wearing gloves and elderly/compromised should have sheltered all along?  Maybe models wouldn't have been so wrong and the same number of people would have been as sick and the same number of people would have died and we wouldn't have been in The Great Depression 2.0?  Maybe.

Slaughter me, doomers.

Sacrificing myself on the altar of the doomers who never question a doctor/scientist (even though the Trump they hate is following his dictates):

Maybe the predictor has a motive to make sure he doesn't look like an idiot?  Maybe he was wrong all along but can't cop to it? (he/they, he/they)

Maybe we shouldn't have shut down civilization?  Maybe we should have gone about our lives wearing masks/distancing/wearing gloves and elderly/compromised should have sheltered all along?  Maybe models wouldn't have been so wrong and the same number of people would have been as sick and the same number of people would have died and we wouldn't have been in The Great Depression 2.0?  Maybe.

Slaughter me, doomers.
That's a whole lotta wrong right there.

Slaughter me, doomers.
Nah.  It's ok to be skeptical.  You should be.  We all should be.

But, if you are going to accuse some of the most respected people in the field of mishandling this and causing trillions of dollars worth of damage to the economy, I'd hope you have proof. 

Slaughter me, doomers.
now that’s an interesting thought

Not sure what this part means.

Is he/they the whole world? Because no country is handling it as you suggest, except for Sweden, which is about to be devastated and they will be sheltering in place soon enough, book it.

Slaughter me, doomers.
Being a MMQB is so easy

Slaughter me, doomers.
Your first sentence shows that you haven't been reading this thread and have already made up your mind.

Slaughter me, doomers.
I'm a doomer in your opinion, you are spot on here. Our leadership let that ship sail. We would have a fraction of the cases and deaths if we had been told from the get go to wear masks, if we had been more vigilant in keeping the virus out of the country and contained it better when it did eventually hit home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wearing a mask to work since the first confirmed case in my town was announced March 18, a week after he had arrived back home from Europe. I caught flak from well educated individuals and business owners. Trumps lies were repeated to me many times, there is one business owner who is barely speaking to me. I sleep well at night knowing I am doing what I can to keep my community and my people safe. If a few people are inconvenienced, so be it. 

@Sand has speculated the same in this thread, and he's kind of/almost a (rocket) scientist, FWIW.

I've mentioned the recent SI article where 2/3rds of respondents say they won't be comfortable at a sporting event until a vaccine has been identified.  I mean, really, if risk still exists, do I want to go to a baseball game and have the money-handling vendor pass my beer through the hands of six other people in my row?  I don't think so!
I'm a mutated something or other scientist.

To be more precise, I believe that some sports may be ok to go on.  Those with little contact -golf, baseball, tennis, Nascar.  Those that require close physical contact like football, soccer, basketball, hockey, etc. likely won't be able to continue under these circumstances. 

Nah.  It's ok to be skeptical.  You should be.  We all should be.

But, if you are going to accuse some of the most respected people in the field of mishandling this and causing trillions of dollars worth of damage to the economy, I'd hope you have proof. 
It's ok to be skeptical.  

Wyoming has yet to register a single COVID death, per worldometer.  As a matter of fact, they are showing more recovered patients than ones currently with the virus.  They have tested a higher percentage of their citizens than several hard hit states (Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Georgia, California, etc.).  15 states have more recorded deaths than Wyoming has total cases.  Makes you wonder how you'd feel about this pandemic if you lived out in the middle of nowhere, huh?  

Your first sentence shows that you haven't been reading this thread and have already made up your mind.
Wrong on the first count.  True on the second.  Although the less I read it the better my life is, NotSmart.  But I can see all of those in here who bow at the altar of "science" (read: predictive models) are SUPER willing to change their minds.

I remain on the altar.

Wyoming has yet to register a single COVID death, per worldometer.  As a matter of fact, they are showing more recovered patients than ones currently with the virus.  They have tested a higher percentage of their citizens than several hard hit states (Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Georgia, California, etc.).  15 states have more recorded deaths than Wyoming has total cases.  Makes you wonder how you'd feel about this pandemic if you lived out in the middle of nowhere, huh?  
Density is bad (hello NY, LTC facilities, cruise ships, aircraft carriers).  Weird how the areas who have sheltered in place longer than others (i.e. forced density) have crazy high rates isn't it?

NYC has 29,800 people per sq. mile, Wyoming has 5.9, that's 1/5000th of the density

Oh I think we can stay in business and survive—but before this pandemic—we were thriving.  I’m almost certain that it will be a while before we can “thrive” again.  Our showroom is 450 square feet and before the pandemic we had 3 people working at any given time—and our entire staff is 6 people.  Our showroom is in the shape of a large rectangle—with two long rows of display cases running down each side. Effectively—there’s an alleyway down the middle of our shop where customers can check out our displays.  If we want to practice proper social distancing standards (which is what we will want to do)—we can’t really have more than 2 customers in our shop at any given time.  That is going to hurt us as we are typically a high volume shop.  

Secondly—we have to look at protecting our business in regards to the employee side of things. We can’t really have 3 people working at the shop at any given time moving forward being that if one infected customer comes in and exposes the staff to the virus—half of our staff would be quarantined for a minimum of 2 weeks. Therefore—we’d have to drop to 2 employees a day—which means that every employee will be making less and working fewer hours.  

Lastly—brick and mortar stores were fighting for margins even before the pandemic.  Now we will have to have reduced customers and we will have to bear the burden of much higher expenses.  We’ll have to supply employees gloves and masks. We’ll also have to have a supply of masks for customers as we’ll want them to be masked up as well.   We’ll have to double or triple the amount of wipes, sanitizer, cleaning supples that we provide.  We’ll have to do a thorough disinfecting/cleaning of the store several times a day and completely wipe down all counters after each customer.  These types of expenses will eat up margins.  Heck—I just purchased an industrial grade uv-c sanitation chamber out of my own pocket so that we can disinfect any watch, piece of jewelry and also sanitize our own tools and instruments to insure the safety of our customers and our employees. I also purchased 5 uv-c lamps out of my pocket so that we can sanitize areas of the shop before opening and after closing to aid in keeping us super sanitized. Essentially—we’ll have to somehow thrive on working with limited volume in regards to clients, and higher overhead—all in an environment that is risky at best.  Seeing 40-60 customers a day when there is a virus out there that could force us to quarantine is scary in and of itself. I’m really hoping that they develop a treatment or vaccine soon. 
Could you put your store in a swimming pool?

This is exactly why I posted the stuff about Wyoming.  The Wyomites (yeah, I just made that up) practice social distancing without even trying.
I live in a metro area of about 500k around a city of about 250k in Missouri.  We are pretty spread out here but have had 94 cases and 7 deaths (5 in the same nursing care facility).

I'd really be surprised if me or my family get the virus in this wave.  The city is shut down and we aren't exactly packed in a tight area.  We are practicing social distancing and forgoing any unnecessary gatherings.  I still go to work (construction) and my wife is a 2nd grade teacher.

However, I could see it rapidly expanding even here if an all-clear is given.  We are still touch and go as a nation and will be until a vaccine is distributed.

‘If everything breaks just right’ is the key. SARS is the most comparable virus and they never successfully produced a vaccine. September is a dream date suggested by a researching hoping to get resources put behind her effort. The true best case scenario is December or January with March being more realistic.
Not sure I'm correct but I believe they didn't have one for SARS because they stopped their efforts because it was already under control, not because they failed in making one.

Slaughter me, doomers.
Recently

Covid-19

Became

The 

Leading

Daily

Cause 

Of

Death

In

The 

United

States.

Doomers.

As

If.

🙄

Not sure I'm correct but I believe they didn't have one for SARS because they stopped their efforts because it was already under control, not because they failed in making one.
I believe that’s what ultimately caused them to stop but I believe that they had a few promising vaccine candidates that ran into huge issues in the clinic trials.

Here’s an article that talks about some of the problems they ran into:

https://www.nature.com/articles/news050110-3

I know that they are trying different approaches in developing this vaccine that are promising. But promising new techniques often don’t lead to expedited timelines 

Recently

Covid-19

Became

The 

Leading

Daily

Cause 

Of

Death

In

The 

United

States.

Doomers.

As

If.

🙄
Not exactly true...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/health/coronavirus-not-leading-cause-of-death-us-trnd/index.html

Also, I read a few things where the US seems to be very aggressive in calling a death "Covid19" where many other countries would call it something else. Part of the reason is that autopsies aren't being done due to fear of spreadingthe disease and time/resources. 

And it looks like trauma deaths dropped like a rock.

Regardless, yes, COVID19 is killing a lot of people....

But many would prefer having COVID19 over cancer, imo.

Not the right time to focus on leading causes of death.

brick and mortar stores were fighting for margins even before the pandemic.  Now we will have to have reduced customers and we will have to bear the burden of much higher expenses.
I think over time rent will drop to compensate. It would require a lot of bankrupcies to find a new level though

is the curve flattening because we have maxed out our current testing capabilities?
Good news: US testing has improved to 8500 tests per 1m inhabitants, up 1000 in the past week

Bad news: US is still around 40th in the world in testing per 1m inhabitants

California seems to have upped testing since I looked at this last (now 5th lowest i/o 3rd lowest), but it seems testing is still mostly driven by NE states+Louisiana, New Mexico and Utah

ETA NY has tested about 4x as many per 1m inhabitants as CA

Not exactly true...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/health/coronavirus-not-leading-cause-of-death-us-trnd/index.html

Also, I read a few things where the US seems to be very aggressive in calling a death "Covid19" where many other countries would call it something else. Part of the reason is that autopsies aren't being done due to fear of spreadingthe disease and time/resources. 

And it looks like trauma deaths dropped like a rock.

Regardless, yes, COVID19 is killing a lot of people....

But many would prefer having COVID19 over cancer, imo.

Not the right time to focus on leading causes of death.
Thanks for the additional details. Just went by what I saw/read a couple days ago. At over 2000 deaths per day it is right in the ballpark of those other diseases for leading cause of death on a daily average. My point was aimed squarely at the not a big deal crowd. It most definitely is a big deal.

Thanks for the additional details. Just went by what I saw/read a couple days ago. At over 2000 deaths per day it is right in the ballpark of those other diseases for leading cause of death on a daily average. My point was aimed squarely at the not a big deal crowd. It most definitely is a big deal.
Cue the "but we don't shut down the country for cancer" argument

And this is dumb. I think you wil find that most people who agree with the shutdown, would also agree that these people should not be working 
I think saying they shouldnt be working is different than wanting it mandated. There is a weird view of the young and this thing. Take this NYT article as an example. Headline is "The Costly Toll of Not Shutting Down Spring Break Earlier" . Picture is a bunch of kids in Ft Lauderdale. Talks about the cell phone graphic that was all over. 

Stupid young people right? 

Well if you read the article it shouldnt be a headline about spring break. The two deaths were 65 and 40. Both attributed to an LGBT festival with 5500 attendees. 

Curious, I had a flu test in December where they bury a swab in your frontal lobe, same test? Or do they go deeper? Like tapping on the back of your skull
Sounds pretty similar.  She said the swab was about 10 inches long and they used every inch getting where they were going, then twisted.

Users who are viewing this thread