Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

9 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Feel like people are looking straight past the school issue without realizing it's the pink elephant.  

There's no way that you can say that we are safe in 2 months.  I can't even say for sure that the following year schools will open.  

We don't need to wait for 100% certainty as that will be far too damaging 

• Replies 52.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

Just now, Don't Noonan said:

We don't need to wait for 100% certainty as that will be far too damaging 

Tell that to the Karens.  Trust me they are watching this Korea development

37 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Feel like people are looking straight past the school issue without realizing it's the pink elephant.  

There's no way that you can say that we are safe in 2 months.  I can't even say for sure that the following year schools will open.  

You have no clue what the phrase pink elephant means.  

6 hours ago, [icon] said:

If SK can't handle schools because of tracing issues, we are absolutely ####ed when kids go back to school in a couple months. No chance of not having a 2nd wave. 

Got an email from my daughters school principle going over the guidelines if/when school reopens.  Masks will be mandatory. Split School days or alternating weeks because classes will have to be kept half full to maintain social distancing. They'll eat lunch at their classroom. No cafeteria. Traditional gym class is gone, still working a solution  to this. Social distancing if/when they're allowed to go out to the playground that's on school property. Sounds like fun. 

Edited by steeler6
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, steeler6 said:

Got an email from my daughters school principle going over the guidelines if/when school reopens.  Masks will be mandatory. Split School days or alternating weeks because classes will have to be kept half full to maintain social distancing. They'll eat lunch at their classroom. No cafeteria. Traditional gym class is gone, still working a solution  to this. Social distancing if/when they're allowed to go out to the playground that's on school property. Sounds like fun. 

:lol: @ a bunch of school kids keeping masks on and social distancing all day... every day.... 

Ain't ####in' happening :lol: 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, [icon] said:

:lol: @ a bunch of school kids keeping masks on and social distancing all day... every day.... 

So true. Also, assuming you’re going to be able to socially distance kids because classrooms are half full is a pipe dream. 15 kids in a class or 30, they’re not going to be able to stay away from each other. I understand taking precautions, but I think the split school days and trying to do all that is pointless. Either have school like normal or don’t have it at all.

Edited by JShare87
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

Not sure why people are focusing on things being worse two to three months from now. We have a problem now. We have no more tools to fight this thing now, at the end of May, then we did in March. If anything, two to three months from now might look better than now because some advancement happens. Or it could get worse before schools reopen. People are cheering that the reopening of Georgia four weeks ago hasn't produced a spike in cases, but at the same time it hasn't produced a spike in their economy either. Seems to me as long as the economy stays low, cases stay low. If the economy rises, cases will rise too. And it won't be just a correlation. It will be a causation. And it could occur even before schools go back in session as people slowly reengage in economic activities. 

I'm seeing plenty of economic activity in Savannah, GA last 4 weeks. My wife had her nails done there and it was PACKED 3 weeks ago. I've had to wait for a table last few times down in Savannah. Even suburbs (Pooler, GA) have been crowded. Maybe its different up in Atlanta? I doubt it. 

Where I live across border near Hilton Head Island, its a zoo. Everything is open and crowded. Was at the beach over the weekend, and it looked like a normal holiday weekend crowd. Outdoor seating makes it easier to almost seat full capacity, since indoor is limited to 50% of capacity (maybe its 75% now).

Hopefully the numbers stay low. But to say there is not a spike in economic activity is just not true in GA/SC. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JShare87 said:

So true. Also, assuming you’re going to be able to socially distance kids because classrooms are half full is a pipe dream. 15 kids in a class or 30, they’re not going to be able to stay away from each other. I understand taking precautions, but I think the split school days and trying to do all that is pointless. Either have school like normal or don’t have it at all.

This was my first thought. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

And its a charter school so it's K-12. I'm sure a bunch of 6 and 7 years old will follow the new rules. 

1 hour ago, steeler6 said:

How will parents who both work deal with kids splitting days or off every other week?  A lot of kids are going to be left behind or parents quitting jobs trying to make something like that work.  This school year is gonna be a nightmare...I mean my wife would have to quit her teaching job or hope we can find a babysitter every other week.  Gonna be rough times for some families with multiple kids and two parents working.

Edited by gobrowns33
  • Like 1

There are several summer camps starting up in next few days.   Those will show how kids can manage being around each other and how much a petri dish develops.  

8 hours ago, [icon] said:
19 hours ago, JbizzleMan said:

Dr. Dena Grayson

@DrDenaGrayson

South Korea confirms 40 new #coronavirus cases—biggest daily jump in ~50 days—as children return to school. SK may need to reimpose #PhysicalDistancing as it’s becoming difficult to track the spread of #COVID19 amid eased attitudes on distancing.

If SK can't handle schools because of tracing issues, we are absolutely ####ed when kids go back to school in a couple months. No chance of not having a 2nd wave. 

Schools had nothing to do with that story. Other than a chronological media throw in. 

"Man murdered in CA after woman gets upset about her food order"

Thats a true statement even if the woman was in New York, as long as she got upset first. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, gobrowns33 said:

How will parents who both work deal with kids splitting days or off every other week?  A lot of kids are going to be left behind or parents quitting jobs trying to make something like that work.  This school year is gonna be a nightmare...I mean my wife would have to quit her teaching job or hope we can find a babysitter every other week.  Gonna be rough times for some families with multiple kids and two parents working.

I’ll be honest, that hadn’t occurred to me (probably because I’m lucky enough that my wife is a stay-at-home mom and I’m selfish and not thinking of other people). Yeah, that’s a nightmare.

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

There are several summer camps starting up in next few days.   Those will show how kids can manage being around each other and how much a petri dish develops.  

There are day care centers all over that are still open. 

I cant say for certain no outbreaks have been caused by kids in day care, but i havent heard about it, and I think that would be something we would have heard about. 

22 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I cant say for certain no outbreaks have been caused by kids in day care, but i havent heard about it, and I think that would be something we would have heard about. 

Not if kids are very likely to be an asymptomatic infection. An entire day care could be an outbreak, and we wouldn't know about it at all. 

2 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Not if kids are very likely to be an asymptomatic infection. An entire day care could be an outbreak, and we wouldn't know about it at all. 

Yes we would.  A whole bunch of families in a particular school district would all get sick at once.  It would not be difficult to figure out what's happening in a case like that -- we've had no problem identifying other hot spots.

You have an unbelievably fatalistic attitude toward this.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, [icon] said:

@parasaurolophus already addressed it but this really didn't have anything to do with the schools.

9 hours ago, culdeus said:

And yet large universities are opening up. Different population I know but 35,000 college kids certainly have the ability to act like 7 year olds on occasion.

My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher. She is willing and able to go back to school, problem is, the schools haven't put forth any kind of plan yet to get the kids back other than we are bringing them back. Be nice if they got some input from the teachers on the challenges they are going to deal with as most of you have already mentioned. Older kids should be good but the younger ones are going to be tough. School is talking about no recess, eating at your desk, social distancing between desks (which they physically can't do with the class size, too many kids, too small a room), and the whole mask thing.

26 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

We took our 2.5 yr and 6 mo olds back to Day Care on Tuesday this week.  They never closed, no one is sick, area is really low in cases, etc.  Stressful but weighing vs trying to work and just looking at the facts today, we decided to do it.

11 minutes ago, gump said:

We took our 2.5 yr and 6 mo olds back to Day Care on Tuesday this week.  They never closed, no one is sick, area is really low in cases, etc.  Stressful but weighing vs trying to work and just looking at the facts today, we decided to do it.

We did the same. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

@parasaurolophus already addressed it but this really didn't have anything to do with the schools.

And yet large universities are opening up. Different population I know but 35,000 college kids certainly have the ability to act like 7 year olds on occasion.

My daughter is a 3rd grade teacher. She is willing and able to go back to school, problem is, the schools haven't put forth any kind of plan yet to get the kids back other than we are bringing them back. Be nice if they got some input from the teachers on the challenges they are going to deal with as most of you have already mentioned. Older kids should be good but the younger ones are going to be tough. School is talking about no recess, eating at your desk, social distancing between desks (which they physically can't do with the class size, too many kids, too small a room), and the whole mask thing.

There is no plan that will stop this thing.  We lack the will to exterminate the virus so it should be left to pass.  The more this thing runs it's course it looks a heck of a lot like the 68-69 HK Flu.  That also targeted people 65+, but due to wars and smoking and all that there simply weren't as many old people to die like there are today.  IFR/CFR all those stats are pretty damn similar.   

We did nothing about schools then, and it just finally went away. AFAIK there was never an effective treatment or vax for it.  

There has to be a stomach to watch some kids and teachers die of this, or kids won't go back to school at least until mid-late 2021.  Half measures like no recess won't do jack ####.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Once the providers start dropping dead, we'll hear about it.  Until then, should be quiet.  

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

This is going to be a tough one if kids are really as asymptomatic as suggested.  Parents are going to get sick and be saying "WTF...where the heck did I catch this!!!!" while their kids are running around without a care in the world....of this I am confident...if it's going to happen to anyone, it's going to happen to me :lol: 

I am returning to work today. I believe today will be a day of cleaning and kicking the machines to make sure they all still turn on. I have not been there since mid March. There is also a meeting scheduled, I assume this will be regarding new protocols. I am feeling anxious about returning.

I called about my testing that was done 6 days ago. Antibodies are negative, no results from nasal swab test yet. They told me the system is really backed up due to the amount of testing. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, prosopis said:

I am returning to work today. I believe today will be a day of cleaning and kicking the machines to make sure they all still turn on. I have not been there since mid March. There is also a meeting scheduled, I assume this will be regarding new protocols. I am feeling anxious about returning.

I called about my testing that was done 6 days ago. Antibodies are negative, no results from nasal swab test yet. They told me the system is really backed up due to the amount of testing. 

Still can't get my head around this at this point in the game. American excellence at it's best.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Still can't get my head around this at this point in the game. American excellence at it's best.

It's relatively easy to understand if you pay attention to what's been said about testing and the lack of action around testing.  If there is one thing I HOPE we as a country learn from this, it's that testing is the foundation of it all if the goal is to maximize individual safety and to get good, accurate information out so people can make informed decisions.

Look at all the :hophead: we hear and argue about.  99.9999999% of it is because we are left to "guess" about some pretty meaningful components instead of doing the legwork to get the scientific answers we need.  All those unknowns are being filled with political beliefs.  That shouldn't happen.

• Like 2

After several weeks of wearing a mask pretty regularly, I just want to apologize to anyone that I’ve ever spoken to in person because after smelling my own breath on a constant basis I apparently chew on garbage and brushing and flossing on a regular basis do nothing to improve this.

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1

Out of curiosity, how many people do you know that have gotten COVID and have any died?

Right now I know 11 that have gotten it to the point they had the symptoms and tested positive.  1 that died.  2 currently in the hospital on respirators and in really bad condition.   All 3 of those are over 60.   8 people have recovered albeit 2 of them really had a rough time with weeks in hospital and quarantine  - a 32 and a21 year old.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
2 minutes ago, the moops said:

Gonna need like 1000 sq ft classrooms if we are expecting 15 kids to be socially distanced enough for it to theoretically matter

Social distancing with kids at school is just not realistic.  Not going to happen.  :shrug:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, steeler6 said:

At this point I'm hoping we home school for the first half of the year and reopen in January. Last thing we need is to start school then have to shut it back down if there's a spike in the fall. 

I've seen this sentiment throughout a lot of places. I know a lot of college and university folks were saying don't worry it'll only be one semester. 

But if we don't open in the fall, why would we be any safer or better off opening in January, in the middle of flu season? That has been my thought process about this. The summer and early fall seem like the safest time to do anything. 

For reference, I've heard Notre Dame is doing in-person but cancelled fall-break and started early so it's over by Thanksgiving. Heard this floated that most won't go back after Thanksgiving break. 

Edited by sporthenry
5 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Out of curiosity, how many people do you know that have gotten COVID and have any died?

Right now I know 11 that have gotten it to the point they had the symptoms and tested positive.  1 that died.  2 currently in the hospital on respirators and in really bad condition.   All 3 of those are over 60.   8 people have recovered albeit 2 of them really had a rough time with weeks in hospital and quarantine  - a 32 and a21 year old.

Just 1 infection (my step sister, a nurse in NYC. She recovered fine).

Considering I live in NJ, that's pretty surprising. My 95 year old grandmother is in a memory care facility where they had several cases, but so far, she has dodged the bullet.

7 minutes ago, shader said:

Social distancing with kids at school is just not realistic.  Not going to happen.  :shrug:

I agree. Just wanted to point out how we don't even have the space to do it, so wonder why it is even discussed

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

I know about a dozen people who had it. Thankfully most had mild cases and none were hospitalized or died. 

21 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

I know of 4 that got it.  Three people in their 50s and one in her 70s.  Nobody died but the lady in her 70s had a terrible time with several weeks on a ventilator - she got real close and likely has some permanent damage.  The other 3 recovered at home over a period of a week or two and have been back at work for a while now.

(I live in the DC suburbs but all my cases were out of state.  1 PA, 2 CO, 1 FL)

18 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

• Kids school
    • Two PE teachers attended a conference, came back sick and were down pretty hard for 2 weeks but required no hospital stay.  Mid 40s age.
    • One parent that was in NYC during the major outbreak brought it back, was sick on the plane, and isolated in a hotel for a couple weeks.
    • Another parent in a similar circumstance, never got any further details on how it went, survived.  
  • Work
    • Two people in my office eventually tested positive in early April.  Seems like they made it.
  • Elsewhere
    • Friend works for a Billionare non-profit foundation, the heiress died but they called it cancer instead of covid to keep it out of the news
    • Similar situation with my mother's best friend, tested positive and came home to isolate but died in sleep of a stroke, wanted to keep out of the news so called it a stroke.

So this would be consistent more or less with the news IFR/CFR in that people in their 40s ish can get sick, not die, but 70s+ it's a lot easier to get wiped out.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, sporthenry said:

For reference, I've heard Notre Dame is doing in-person but cancelled fall-break and started early so it's over by Thanksgiving. Heard this floated that most won't go back after Thanksgiving break. 

A lot of schools are going this route.  Start 2 weeks early, forego Fall Break, end at Thanksgiving. Tightens up the semester and limits travel to and from.

• Thanks 1

Not all heroes wear capes: Texas bar owner tells mask wearers to stay home

“Due to our concern for our citizens, if they feel the need to wear a mask, then they should probably stay home until it’s safe,” the notice outside the Liberty Tree Tavern reads, according to a local NBC affiliate.

The city, which had just over 10,000 residents in 2018, has recorded 52 cases of coronavirus during the pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Statorama said:

This is what has to happen for schools, you don't want to teach or send your kids.  Fine.  Wait till you feel safe to do so.  We will provide some online resources to home school your kids.  Have fun.

For teachers that don't want to show up, put them on SS Disability or just furlough them.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, shader said:

I don't trust the CDC's estimates at all.  I'll take whatever flack anyone wants to give me for saying this, but I think the "CDC planning scenario" page, that you linked, is total crap.

😂 what exactly are your professional qualifications to conclude that it’s total crap?  

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

No one on my Facebook feed has said that they've had it.  Actually, that's not totally true.  I have a few friends who are conspiracy theorists who are pretty sure they got it back in January.  They live in Wisconsin.

2 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

Not if kids are very likely to be an asymptomatic infection. An entire day care could be an outbreak, and we wouldn't know about it at all

Well, we'd know about the caretakers falling ill and given centers having to close.

Around here, even in hot-spot New Orleans ... daycares were allowed stay open throughout the duration. Getting info second-hand, but: so far as I've been told, the main changes daycares have made have been in cleaning procedures/frequency and in staff now often wearing light PPE for certain tasks (e.g. food service). No social distancing of toddlers or anything like that.