What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

I guess I got to this thread after this discussion.  Read a bit about it, but I don't see how it answers the question I was posing.  Can you help me out?  If, in one breath, the CDC is saying they lack confidence in antibody testing results to make any sort of policy decisions based on them, then in the next breath throw out "death rate" stats based on antibody testing, how does this rule apply to that?  This theorem seems to be about forecasting stats.  That's not really what  I am asking about.   :confused:  
Bayes rule is for populations within populations.  In this case: the population of false positives within the population of infected.

Assume the following:

330M Americans 

5% incidence of infection 

95% accurate test (i.e. 5% false positive)

All Americans tested

The results would show:

15,675,000 true positives (330M x 5% actual infected x 95% accuracy)

15,675,000 false positives (330M x 95% uninfected x 5% inaccuracy)

That means the test shows 31,350,00 total infected, but we know only half of them are ACTUALLY infected.  

Now, if you received a positive result, how confident are you the you ACTUALLY had Covid?  Hint: barring any other info your answer s/b: no more than 50/50.

However, if we know the accuracy of the test we can work backward to estimate the incidence of Covid within the overall population.  Problem is that we can't determine with more than 50% accuracy whether any particular individual actually had Covid.

Notably, as the actual incidence of Covid increases the confidence of that any individual had it increases dramatically.  To wit, run the math for the above but change the actual incidence from 5% to 30%.

THAT'S Bayes Rule.

That help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bayes rule is for populations within populations.  In this case: the population of false positives within the population of infected.

Assume the following:

330M Americans 

5% incidence of infection 

95% accurate test (i.e. 5% false positive)

All Americans tested

The results would show:

15,675,000 true positives (330M x 5% actual infected x 95% accuracy)

15,675,000 false positives (330M x 95% uninfected x 5% inaccuracy)

That means the test shows 31,350,00 total infected, but we know only half of them are ACTUALLY infected.  

Now, if you received a positive result, how confident are you the you ACTUALLY had Covid?  Hint: barring any other info your answer s/b: no more than 50/50.

However, if we know the accuracy of the test we can work backward to estimate the incidence of Covid within the overall population.  Problem is that we can't determine with more than 50% accuracy whether any particular individual actually had Covid.

Notably, as the actual incidence of Covid increases the confidence of that any individual had it increases dramatically.  To wit, run the math for the above but change the actual incidence from 5% to 30%.

THAT'S Bayes Rule.

That help?
Yes...it explains the 50/50 portion.  Thanks :thumbup:  

Question: if this virus truly is seasonal, and supposedly susceptible to warmer weather, shouldn't case numbers be dropping even with increased testing?
If we were testing 500k people every day back in Jan, Feb, Mar, there probably would have been 50k cases per day.  

Also, the data is not very good.

Some states include antibody results

Some states include multiple tests on the same person

Some states are doing more focused testing since testing capacity has increased such as prisons that have high positive %

Lags from weekend reporting and massive data dumps

+25k cases in the US today and +1200 deaths. 

Brazil and the world both also setting new highs in cases.  

Yeesh - per Covid worldometers, a new high of over 125,000 cases along with almost 4,900 deaths.  Worldwide reported cases now over 6 million.  As you mention, Brazil at a new high with almost 30,000 new cases (and almost 1,200 deaths).  Russia, India, and Peru not slowing down at all.   

I also saw this at the end of an article in the Sunday Chicago Tribune:

"Latin America is the latest epicenter of the virus, and experts note the limits of government action in a region where millions have informal jobs and many police forces are unable to enforce restrictions.

Brazil and Mexico reported record numbers of infections and deaths almost daily last week, fueling criticism of their presidents for limited lockdowns.  But infections also rose and intensive care unit were swamped in Peru, Chile and Ecuador, all countries lauded for imposing early and aggressive business shutdowns and quarantines."

I would love to know where these people latched onto this made up false sense of security thing. It is like arguing we shouldnt have air bags because people will drive faster then. 
The people who try and downplay the effectiveness of masks are the same ones who say "just wash your hands and you'll be fine". 

Guess what? If everyone washed their hands like my 3 year old does, a lot of people would still get sick. You have to wash your hands appropriately to effectively reduce your risk, and you have to do the same when wearing masks. Not sure why one gets nitpicked while the other gets taken for granted. 

And away we go...it is like every time at this hour of night the same usual suspects begin crawling out from under rocks with their flat earth. it is just the flu and a missile took down the Twin Tower nonsense. 

I can’t figure out if this is just when their moms lets them use the Internet or this is when the alcohol kicks in. 😔

I-ROK said:
So the CDC is wrong now?

Everyone loved the CDC before... but now that they are saying things we don’t like, they’re full of it? Got it
You should read the thread more and this might not come as a surprise

shader said:

8 countries in the top 20 are warm and humid (Brazil, India, Turkey, Peru, Saudi, Mexico, Pakistan and Qatar) and most of those are surging up the list

Kal El said:
Warmer in the US, colder in Brazil. That's how seasons in different hemispheres work.
It's just importatnt to know that colder doesn't mean cold. I've spent many happy days at the beach in Brazilian winter with 80F. It gets colder than that in the south and on an overcast day

It's just importatnt to know that colder doesn't mean cold. I've spent many happy days at the beach in Brazilian winter with 80F. It gets colder than that in the south and on an overcast day
True enough, a cold day here in Florida is often when the temp doesn't break 70. People breaking out the wind jackets, there's somebody with a parka, it's strange to see.

And away we go...it is like every time at this hour of night the same usual suspects begin crawling out from under rocks with their flat earth. it is just the flu and a missile took down the Twin Tower nonsense. 

I can’t figure out if this is just when their moms lets them use the Internet or this is when the alcohol kicks in. 😔
Have a few of these in my social media feeds. The weird thing is, these are the people calling everyone "sheep" and railing against "the media" and whatnot, yet like clockwork the same six people seem to consistently come up with the same talking points and memes at the same times. Weird how these independent thinkers (who were all dumb kids in school) grew up to be epidemiologists and constitutional scholars. Somehow through their own investigative research they all unearth the same truths at the same moments. What are the odds?

Have a few of these in my social media feeds. The weird thing is, these are the people calling everyone "sheep" and railing against "the media" and whatnot, yet like clockwork the same six people seem to consistently come up with the same talking points and memes at the same times. Weird how these independent thinkers (who were all dumb kids in school) grew up to be epidemiologists and constitutional scholars. Somehow through their own investigative research they all unearth the same truths at the same moments. What are the odds?
I have a lot of people on my Facebook feed who are complete wingnuts.  I think Wisconsin might have a disproportionate amount of them.  They truly believe that they are enlightened and can see truths that are invisible to the rest of us.  I might even ask a couple of them to block me because, like passing a gruesome car accident, I cannot stop myself from looking at their posts.  But it's infuriating.  Here are a couple of posts from the last couple of days from a particularly vocal nutjob on my feed.  And I like the guy a lot in person.

New allegations are surfacing that there's a George Floyd named in the '16 Wikileaks emails detailing money laundering schemes, and the belief is that his murder was as an intentional act to protect those involved, and to create a divide in the public.

Is it true? Don't know, but it sure is not adding up thinking of all the strange occurrences, and even the odd 'coincidences' surrounding the details between the relationship of Mr. Floyd and his murderer ex officer Chauvin.
I'm probably not going to be the most popular person in the room expressing this...

Is George Floyd even dead? Or was he an actor taking part in a staged event? Is he the Wikileaks dude named for laundering money?

Is any of this real? How deep is the rabbit hole?

This was tried multiple times before like with the Jussie Smollett hoax, the Epstein prison death, the Indian actor with the Covington Kids, and countless others.. why wouldn't the CIA conscript cops into their games?

I have a lot of people on my Facebook feed who are complete wingnuts.  I think Wisconsin might have a disproportionate amount of them.  They truly believe that they are enlightened and can see truths that are invisible to the rest of us.  I might even ask a couple of them to block me because, like passing a gruesome car accident, I cannot stop myself from looking at their posts.  But it's infuriating.  Here are a couple of posts from the last couple of days from a particularly vocal nutjob on my feed.  And I like the guy a lot in person.
whoa :popcorn:

No way do I have this person block me. That is some free entertainment right there.

I s there a previous connection between Floyd/Chauvin ? :tinfoilhat:

whoa :popcorn:

No way do I have this person block me. That is some free entertainment right there.

I s there a previous connection between Floyd/Chauvin ? :tinfoilhat:
Floyd and Chauvin worked at the same bar at the same time.  But it was a huge bar and one worked outside and one worked inside.  My guess is that Chauvin didn't recognize Floyd.  But even if he did, the rest of the conclusions are completely insane.  I had fun reading this guy's posts for a couple of years.  But now it aggravates me.  But I can't stop.

Looking at worldometer for each state's deaths per case...

- USA overall 5.8% (104562/1795278)
- MI (9.5%) and CT (9.3%) are by far the hardest hit in terms of deaths per case
- No states are in the 8% range
- NY (7.9%), PA (7.3%), NJ (7.2%), LA (7.1%), and MA (7.0%) are the only states in the 7% range
- IN (6.3%) and OH (6.2%) are the only states in the 6% range
- CO, MO, VT (5.6%), NH (5.3%), OK (5.2%), WA (5.1%), and NV (5.0%) are the states in the 5% range
- AZ, MD, MS (4.8%), RI (4.7%), NM (4.6%), IL (4.5%), FL, KY (4.4%), GA, MN, SC (4.3%) are the states in the 4% range
- CA, DE (3.9%), ME, WV (3.8%), OR (3.7%), AL (3.6%), MT, NC (3.4%), WI (3.2%), VA (3.1%) are the states in the 3% range
- ID (2.9%), IA (2.8%), TX (2.7%), HI (2.6%), AK, ND (2.3%), KS (2.2%) are the states in the 2% range
- AR (1.9%), WY (1.7%), TN (1.6%), NE, SD, UT (1.2%) are the states in the 1% range

I find it hard to believe this virus is nearly 8 times more deadly in Michigan and Connecticut than it is in Nebraska, South Dakota, or Utah.  So, what are some possible factors for disparities among the states?

And yes, I know me saying 8 times more deadly is not accurate, so please don't nitpick about it.  I wrote it for effect.

- MI (9.5%) and CT (9.3%) are by far the hardest hit in terms of deaths per case
- NY (7.9%), PA (7.3%), NJ (7.2%), LA (7.1%), and MA (7.0%) are the only states in the 7% range
- CO, MO, VT (5.6%), NH (5.3%), OK (5.2%), WA (5.1%), and NV (5.0%) are the states in the 5% range
- AZ, MD, MS (4.8%), RI (4.7%), NM (4.6%), IL (4.5%), FL, KY (4.4%), GA, MN, SC (4.3%) are the states in the 4% range
- CA, DE (3.9%), ME, WV (3.8%), OR (3.7%), AL (3.6%), MT, NC (3.4%), WI (3.2%), VA (3.1%) are the states in the 3% range
- ID (2.9%), IA (2.8%), TX (2.7%), HI (2.6%), AK, ND (2.3%), KS (2.2%) are the states in the 2% range
- AR (1.9%), WY (1.7%), TN (1.6%), NE, SD, UT (1.2%) are the states in the 1% range

I find it hard to believe this virus is nearly 8 times more deadly in Michigan and Connecticut than it is in Nebraska, South Dakota, or Utah.  So, what are some possible factors for disparities among the states?

And yes, I know me saying 8 times more deadly is not accurate, so please don't nitpick about it.  I wrote it for effect.
Nursing homes.  There needs to be some filter for nursing home deaths when comparing states.  As soon as this thing gets loose in one of those it's lights out.  

Perhaps population density is a factor? Maybe urban residents aren't as healthy as rural residents? Or maybe the virus spreads so quickly in urban areas that it overwhelms the health care system, increasing the chances that a person will die?

Nursing homes.  There needs to be some filter for nursing home deaths when comparing states.  As soon as this thing gets loose in one of those it's lights out.  
Nursing homes are probably a factor, although Rhode Island, Arkansas and Iowa have some of the highest percentages of residents in nursing homes, yet they don't have correspondingly high death rates. Meanwhile, Nevada, Washington and Colorado have relatively low percentages of residents in nursing homes, yet they're all over 5%.

I considered this at the top of the factors, along with density.  Just seems weird that CT sits at 9.3% and RI is at 4.7%.  I actually live in CT, but just a few miles from the RI border.  RI ranks behind only NJ in population density.  Maybe CT isn't testing young healthy people at nearly the rate of other states?  Stands to reason if all your positive cases are sick old people, your percentage is going way up.

tri-man 47 said:
I also saw this at the end of an article in the Sunday Chicago Tribune:

"Latin America is the latest epicenter of the virus, and experts note the limits of government action in a region where millions have informal jobs and many police forces are unable to enforce restrictions.

Brazil and Mexico reported record numbers of infections and deaths almost daily last week, fueling criticism of their presidents for limited lockdowns.  But infections also rose and intensive care unit were swamped in Peru, Chile and Ecuador, all countries lauded for imposing early and aggressive business shutdowns and quarantines."
...and now I read reports on projected rainfall in southern Mexico and throughout Central America that could be as much as two feet, leading to massive flooding and mud slides. 

Cyclones hitting India and Bangladesh; a potential locust plague across East Central Africa; massive rainfalls in Central America - all on top of the Covid risk.  We're living through some incredibly difficult times, as noted above.

The better option must be for people who spend all day on the Internet ignoring their family, ignoring their health, ignoring everything else productive adults are supposed to do, being unemployed or simply a lazy employee.

Nursing homes are probably a factor, although Rhode Island, Arkansas and Iowa have some of the highest percentages of residents in nursing homes, yet they don't have correspondingly high death rates. Meanwhile, Nevada, Washington and Colorado have relatively low percentages of residents in nursing homes, yet they're all over 5%.
I don't think this matters.  What you are saying is those states protect their vulnerable better.   There's not some magic powder that can be sprinkled in the morning metamucil

I don't think this matters.  What you are saying is those states protect their vulnerable better.   There's not some magic powder that can be sprinkled in the morning metamucil
Well then, that would mean that the answer to the original question is "those states protect the vulnerable better", not "those states have lots of nursing homes" (which seems to have been your original response).

Users who are viewing this thread