What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Deblasio literally told people to go out and see a Broadway play on like March 7 and REFUSED to shut down schools for an entire week 
Deblasio did a #### job. Cuomo was bad in beginning but turned it around. 

Doesn’t really matter though at this point. I don’t wish what we went through on anybody and wish the rest of the country had learned from watching NY. It is sad that it didn’t happen and I don’t like the gloating.

I Just hope that people realize what is coming and take action soon. Seems like it may happen with things like the Texas mask order coming down. 

Deblasio literally told people to go out and see a Broadway play on like March 7 and REFUSED to shut down schools for an entire week 
Cuomo has been awesome. Diblasio an idiot. 

But regardless. Have you guys not had television for the past three months?  Seriously. Even let’s just assume NY governance was brutally bad. At what point does anyone in Texas and Florida and Arizona look at TV and reasonably conclude this is no big deal? Explain that to me please. Dying to understand it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably said before, but Florida's 10k cases(new record, by the way, not something we should be trying to break daily) account for just under 20% of total cases in the US. This is a disaster, full stop.

But regardless. Have you guys not had television for the past three months?  Seriously. Even let’s just assume NY governance was brutally bad. At what point does anyone in Texas and Florida and Arizona look at TV and reasonably conclude this is no big deal? Explain that to me please. Dying to understand it. 
At what point did anyone in any state look at TV and reasonably conclude this was no big deal when the crisis in Italy was unfolding. This country as a whole was given numerous warning signs that this was in fact a big deal and on its way. Pretty sure we all had televisions in March too. Everyone thinks they’re invincible to pain and suffering until it literally slaps you in the face. Right now, Florida, Texas, and Arizona, are all getting slapped in the face despite the countless warnings from countries and New York. That’s America for ya.

Florida and Texas have a long ways to go to screw up and kill as many people as New York did. To top it off, the best measures taken by NY still resulted in 1000 new cases today. 

This isn't a fun game guys. I would say 99% of us have screwed up during this, some MUCH more than others, but we're ALL going to deal with the cumulative effect of those poor decisions. We have to be kind to one another if we're going to be able to get through all of this. 

Florida and Texas have a long ways to go to screw up and kill as many people as New York did. To top it off, the best measures taken by NY still resulted in 1000 new cases today. 
Yeah cause it's easy to contain a virus spread amongst 1.7 million people living in an area of 23 square miles.  I think it's pretty incredible what NYC has accomplished. 

Been preaching this for over a decade.  My plan has northeast and western states, along with Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin  and Minnesota joining Canada to form "New Canada" - sorry Colorado, you are electorally landlocked. Key is to move the nukes BEFORE we secede - can't take any chances.  Also, with all the existing nukes, MIT, Caltech, silicon valley, NYC financial hub, etc. I figure 'Murica (new name) would be a third world country by Jesus' b-day.  Anyway, just a thought.  
In other words, the United States of Canada/Jesusland map that was created in 2004?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesusland_map

Otis said:
Our culture is actually more like “let’s not have slaves” and “let’s just be decent folks and try and be smart about stuff.”

None of this is very difficult. Wear a mask. Try and stay away from other folks. Don’t elect hillbillies to run your states. 
Dude, you have been coming off as quite the mean person for basically this whole page of the thread.  A few things...

- I don't need to remind you where our President is from, do I?
- I enjoy posting the "greatness" of Connecticut, but I try not to bash other states in doing so
- You almost sound like you are wishing bad things on the current outbreak states because of what NY went through.
- Not everyone in the hard hit states is being a COVidiot.  In fact, most everyone in this thread is pro-mask, no matter where they are from.

Decent folks, as you mention above, are alot nicer to one another than you have sounded tonight.  I hope everything is going OK at home?

Wife and I have been thinking about what to do when schools reopen.  I can't see a scenario where non-online schools don't become massive outbreaks.

This thread needs an injection of awesome, and I am here to administer the shot.

Connecticut just recorded it's 7th straight day with single digit deaths.  Last time that happened was when we had 12 total COVID deaths back on 24 March.
Connecticut just recorded 3 straight days with only 2 deaths.  Last time that happened was when we recorded our first 4 COVID deaths from 19 - 21 March.
Connecticut just recorded it's 16th straight day under 2% positivity, and 4 in a row under 1%.  Last time we had back-to-back sub 1% days was... never.
Connecticut one of only 3 states in the green according to https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/
Connecticut one of only 5 states in the green for 3 straight months according to https://rt.live/
Connecticut one of only 4 states in the green according to https://covidactnow.org/?s=61189

Took my wife to get tested today.  The process was very easy.  Went online and made the drive up appointment with CVS pharmacy.  Then drove a few miles to the place, pulled up in the drive thru, and did everything ourselves while we stayed in the car.  Wife was a trooper and jammed that swab into her brain, as instructed.  The technician watching her from the drive thru window gave a big thumbs up, we placed the swab into a bin, and were on our way.  Results in 2-4 days.

Wife and I have been thinking about what to do when schools reopen.  I can't see a scenario where non-online schools don't become massive outbreaks.
Agreed.  I've been in this thread every day providing encouraging stats for CT, and I think we will continue the trend until either schools or bars reopen.  I think Gov Lamont is gonna have no choice but to try opening schools back up, knowing he may have to close them shortly afterwards.

Humans really don't learn from others mistakes.  I bet every one of us has touched a plate after the waitress said it was hot.  We don't hear it as a warning - we hear it as an invitation.

Awesome people running this bar:  https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-updates-arizona-bar-allowed-employees-covid-19/story?id=71587798&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

Arizona bar let COVID-19 positive workers continue working, officials say

The state of Arizona has seen an incredible rise in the number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations recently, forcing the state to pause its reopening. And now one bar is under investigation after it allegedly allowed multiple employees known to have tested positive for the coronavirus to continue working.

Varsity Tavern, located in downtown Tempe, allegedly permitted both employees and managers to continue working after being diagnosed, according to the State of Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control.

After the state agency began its investigation, the business decided to close on July 1.

Officials are still seeking to revoke Varsity Tavern's license. The establishment has had its license suspended twice before, once in December 2018 and again in July 2019.

The Department of Liquor also alleges that the bar management knowingly didn't notify health officials that workers tested positive, didn't enforce social distancing requirements and didn't enforce mask-wearing requirements.

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ordered bars, gyms, movie theaters, water parks and tubing operators, last Sunday to pause their operations until July 27 in a renewed effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

For the fifth day in a row, Arizona has surpassed its record number of hospitalizations on Thursday, with 2,938 patients currently hospitalized. At least 89% of ICU beds are now in use in the state.

This thread needs an injection of awesome, and I am here to administer the shot.

Connecticut just recorded it's 7th straight day with single digit deaths.  Last time that happened was when we had 12 total COVID deaths back on 24 March.
Connecticut just recorded 3 straight days with only 2 deaths.  Last time that happened was when we recorded our first 4 COVID deaths from 19 - 21 March.
Connecticut just recorded it's 16th straight day under 2% positivity, and 4 in a row under 1%.  Last time we had back-to-back sub 1% days was... never.
Connecticut one of only 3 states in the green according to https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/
Connecticut one of only 5 states in the green for 3 straight months according to https://rt.live/
Connecticut one of only 4 states in the green according to https://covidactnow.org/?s=61189

Took my wife to get tested today.  The process was very easy.  Went online and made the drive up appointment with CVS pharmacy.  Then drove a few miles to the place, pulled up in the drive thru, and did everything ourselves while we stayed in the car.  Wife was a trooper and jammed that swab into her brain, as instructed.  The technician watching her from the drive thru window gave a big thumbs up, we placed the swab into a bin, and were on our way.  Results in 2-4 days.
Glad CT is doing better. For comparison, Hawaii went a whole month with single digit cases, and has never had a day with double digit deaths. We have one of the higher population densities in the country, yet somehow we’ve kept the virus at bay. A compliant population who trusts scientists more than politicians really helps.

That being said, our economy is hurting.  Hopefully cases don’t explode up as tourism ramps up.

Starts a thread about how he's triggered all the time and snaps at his family.

Comes into this thread and starts being a tool to everyone.

Starts a thread about how he's triggered all the time and snaps at his family.

Comes into this thread and starts being a tool to everyone.
Otis has always loved putting down the South, and the people who live there.  I'm a Southerner.  I couldn't imagine purposely being so mean spirited towards a region and its people. There is no use in telling him to be a better person, because he has proven over the years that he just isn't. 

We are switching to home school for this year only if the school requires you to go in. Social distancing has no chance in an elementary school. 

Probably said before, but Florida's 10k cases(new record, by the way, not something we should be trying to break daily) account for just under 20% of total cases in the US. This is a disaster, full stop.
Just left after a week and a half in Bradenton/Tampa area. NOBODY was wearing masks. Staff who were forced to would have them on their chin.

It was all a joke. Got looked at like I had two heads when I would walk into the rifle range or a restaurant with a mask on. 

You know this is the FFA right? They haven’t scratched the surface yet.
In an effort to not let my anger get the better of me and end up banned, I took the only step I could to ensure that. Honestly, I hate blocking users but it's become rather common for me as this virus has ravaged the country. I'm just utterly amazed to see people take joy, reveling in the pain and suffering of others. I can't imagine a person ever thinking like that, yet here we are. Anyways, I've done what I can to move on from it, to avoid it, and I truly appreciate the fact that I wasn't banned for losing my temper and reacting a bit, so I do thank the mods for allowing my transgression.

Glad CT is doing better. For comparison, Hawaii went a whole month with single digit cases, and has never had a day with double digit deaths. We have one of the higher population densities in the country, yet somehow we’ve kept the virus at bay. A compliant population who trusts scientists more than politicians really helps.

That being said, our economy is hurting.  Hopefully cases don’t explode up as tourism ramps up.
Hawaii has a huge benefit in being islands far away from everyone else. Essentially controlling anyone from coming in and infecting everyone else is a huge advantage. Pretty easy to track anyone coming in as well. States like NY, NJ, VA, etc just have massive amounts of people constantly in, out, and through the state making it extremely difficult to contain and track people.

Hawaii would have been in a lot of trouble if they didn’t lock down early and follow guidelines because it also could have quickly spread on the islands.

What experts have been dreading is now happening: mutation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/coronavirus-mutation-spread-study/index.html

We have completely screwed this up and all of the "lockdowns" we did have been wasted.
So this goes back to what I brought up what feels like FOREVER ago (abut was probably a week or two lol) in that there are multiple strains out there. This seems to confirm what I had read earlier in that the West Coast of the US was originally dealing with the strain from Wuhan whereas the East Coast got the strain from Europe which is much more contagious, hence the difference in outbreaks earlier on in Washington vs NYC. The good news here is that I’m not seeing anything implying that it has mutated again. 

Dude, you have been coming off as quite the mean person for basically this whole page of the thread.  A few things...

- I don't need to remind you where our President is from, do I?
- I enjoy posting the "greatness" of Connecticut, but I try not to bash other states in doing so
- You almost sound like you are wishing bad things on the current outbreak states because of what NY went through.
- Not everyone in the hard hit states is being a COVidiot.  In fact, most everyone in this thread is pro-mask, no matter where they are from.

Decent folks, as you mention above, are alot nicer to one another than you have sounded tonight.  I hope everything is going OK at home?

I didn’t intend to come off mean and apologies if I did. And of course I’m not wishing bad things on anyone. It’s just wildly frustrating to experience what we experienced, to have done all the right things here in NY and be locked down doing the right things, much as it sucks, and yet to see other parts of the country out there partying and blowing this off all these months. It’s maddening because a lot of people are going to be unnecessarily sick there, but it’s also maddening because that wildly irresponsible response is going to put us ALL back. this lockdown stinks for everyone and stinks for the economy. I just wish people would wake up. 

to add: what makes it even more maddening is that we’re asking people to do so damn little. Wear a mask. Spread out. Be responsible.  We’re not asking for your first born. Sigh. Murica can be incredibly disappointing. 

Just left after a week and a half in Bradenton/Tampa area. NOBODY was wearing masks. Staff who were forced to would have them on their chin.

It was all a joke. Got looked at like I had two heads when I would walk into the rifle range or a restaurant with a mask on. 
SMH

A few pages ago, I showed how Hawaii was the 13th most densely populated state, but 50th in deaths per million.  I enjoy tooting CT's horn, but let's stop and toot our island state also.  How you only have 946 positive cases and 18 deaths is a mystery to me.  Let's put those numbers into perspective:

- 946 positives - 11 states topped that just yesterday alone
- Believe it or not, HI has more people than 10 other states
- Hawaii has less CASES than 24 other states have DEATHS
- Highest # of positives in one day was only 32, way back on 16 March
- It's been 137 days since HI had it's 1st positive; that's less than 7 per day since
- 18 deaths total - I could only find one day where HI had multiple deaths - a grand total of 2 on 20 April

I've heard from others that live in Hawaii that this is definitely becoming a big concern.  But I encouraged them, as you might soon have the advantage of being the only state in America that tourists feel safe travelling to/from. 

It's the same here in my small town.  It used to make me sad, but now I'm starting to get angry about it.  Almost hoping someone makes a comment about my mask. 

I was proud of one family though.  Huge overweight dude with flag and MURICA!-type tattoos.  Looking at him you would think he would be one of the first to say "masks are for #######", but he, his wife and 3 kids all had masks on.  

Alabama : America :: America : Earth
Alabama has been middle of the pack during all this despite these dunderheads.  Policy here has been fairy good - we've been under a mandatory mask order for a while.

-----

In other news, it looks like hydroxychloriquine actually works?  New study shows that when taken early it had significant benefits.  That's great, even with the political fallout inherent there.

So hydroxy early,  dexamethasone in the middle, and (very likely) leronlimab late.  

I didn’t intend to come off mean and apologies if I did. And of course I’m not wishing bad things on anyone. It’s just wildly frustrating to experience what we experienced, to have done all the right things here in NY and be locked down doing the right things, much as it sucks, and yet to see other parts of the country out there partying and blowing this off all these months. It’s maddening because a lot of people are going to be unnecessarily sick there, but it’s also maddening because that wildly irresponsible response is going to put us ALL back. this lockdown stinks for everyone and stinks for the economy. I just wish people would wake up. 

to add: what makes it even more maddening is that we’re asking people to do so damn little. Wear a mask. Spread out. Be responsible.  We’re not asking for your first born. Sigh. Murica can be incredibly disappointing. 
I agree it is frustrating. I posted in this thread long ago that I hoped people would finally learn watching NY after they had ignored China and Italy. It is just sad seeing they didn’t when you had friends die and many friends lose parents. It is so frustrating knowing this was avoidable. 

Someone name a random state that has gotten almost no attention during this epidemic.  Doesn't matter if it's a hard hit state or not - just one with very little news coverage.

Comparing Hawaii to any of the 48 mainland states makes no sense.

Regarding the HCQ study, before we start the mud-slinging, it’s probably best to give it a few days to let the experts weigh in.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

It’s already been pointed out (in a table in the linked study) that the median age of those treated with HCQ was 54.  The median age of those that didn’t get treated was 71.

Thats a massive difference and by itself could easily account for the mortality differences in the two groups.

Regarding the HCQ study, before we start the mud-slinging, it’s probably best to give it a few days to let the experts weigh in.

It’s already been pointed out (in a table in the linked study) that the median age of those treated with HCQ was 54.  The median age of those that didn’t get treated was 71.

Thats a massive difference and by itself could easily account for the mortality differences in the two groups.
Retrospective studies are notorious for not holding up with RCT.  Wouldn't put any stock in it.  

Good lord. Yeah that’s quite a big difference. Who paid for this study?

Putting this here for posterity.  Wild ### guess here as why the case load is not creating piles of bodies.  

Something has happened, the virus is far more contagious but far less deadly than when it hit NYC and Italy.  It's as if once it circulates somewhere it self weakens.   Herd immunity may not be so much immunity altogether but immunity from symptoms and is happening sooner than anyone thought.  Maybe at even 20-30% of population 

Not sure what's been happening the last couple pages, but are we now pretending my state isn't jam packed with "northerners" from NY/NJ?  I'm not really sure we want to go down that path do we?  What a weird tangent to take  :lol:  

That said, the politicians here in Florida are melting under the spotlight at this point.  They did a ton of positive groundwork to prep and have absolutely crapped the bed in execution.  The only thing they HAVEN'T done that NY did do was send sick people back to nursing homes causing many more deaths.  

Putting this here for posterity.  Wild ### guess here as why the case load is not creating piles of bodies.  

Something has happened, the virus is far more contagious but far less deadly than when it hit NYC and Italy.  It's as if once it circulates somewhere it self weakens.   Herd immunity may not be so much immunity altogether but immunity from symptoms and is happening sooner than anyone thought.  Maybe at even 20-30% of population 
Or because it takes 3-4 weeks for them to turn into deaths? 

I mean I hope you’re right but there has been literally 0 evidence to support this. 

Here on the Treasure Coast, quite a few people still wear them, but it's not a certainty. It's super easy to do, but people go nuts over it for some reason. Yes it's hot, it's July in Florida. Deal with it, and remember that you probably have at risk family members that could at least use the courtesy.

I mean I hope you’re right but there has been literally 0 evidence to support this. 
Correct. We should prep as if this virus will do what’s it’s done everywhere across the world, because that’s what this virus does. Assuming/hoping that it will suddenly “self-weaken” doesn’t seem logical.  It would be nice, of course, but based on what we’ve seen everywhere on the planet, that’s not what is going to happen.

Or maybe as likely the vulnerable populations are still taking this seriously but the younger ones aren't. Thus deaths aren't really increasing even though cares are rising.

Users who are viewing this thread