What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (26 Viewers)

hagmania said:
https://twitter.com/mbeckett/status/1278750652160634880?s=09

A twitter thread everyone trying to make sense of the data should read. Introducing Simpson's Paradox: data pooling may lead to misinterpretation of both correlation AND causation. Basically, grouping outcomes may lead to contradictory conclusions based upon the groups.

Excellent explanatory video in the linked thread: https://youtu.be/ebEkn-BiW5k

I would especially pay attention to the Wisconsin and Texas education example.
Do people really not understand this?

DallasDMac said:
It didn't have to be. People refusing to do the right thing put us in this position where it is now ten times harder than it needed to be. America is self-centered, arrogant and soft. And we are paying the price for all of that now.
This. #Murica #Mahrights

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people really not understand this?
I would venture the vast majority of people do not... which makes sense because statistics quickly get complicated and less intuitive once you get away from the basics.

The WI vs. TX student example was indeed a good illustrative reminder of one simple example of that underlying non-intuitiveness.

His stay was almost exactly 24 hours... the bill was $78,782.26.

Yes he has insurance.
That’s just the medical system abusing the fact that the govt is picking up the tab. My partner was in icu for 3 days and in the hospital for 7-8 days for respiratory issues related to the flu and the bill was 32k as I recall

CR69 said:
Can we please drop the state bashing everyone? That gets us literally ####### nowhere. 

Seriously, we need to lean on each other to get through this. If I want to read petty arguments I’ll go on Twitter or Facebook. 
Would be easier if the states were all approaching it the same way with similar results...but that would have taken some leadership at the National level

Why is the death rate still so high in NY and Mass?  Inferior medical facilities or just a bunch of unhealthy people or shoddy govt leadership?

Cold Dead Hands said:
The eastern panhandle (closest to DC) is driving the state totals, however the governor refuses to act in a regional manner and instead factor in the entire state’s numbers in total to drive decisions. 3,000 positives with a population of 1.8 million sounds way better than 2500 positives in a population of 200,000.
Yeah...my parents are in a remote area of WV and I think their entire county has seen one case. They're a bit confused on the whole mask controversy and my mother has bought into the "I have asthma and the CO2 is more dangerous" BS line

Yeah...my parents are in a remote area of WV and I think their entire county has seen one case. They're a bit confused on the whole mask controversy and my mother has bought into the "I have asthma and the CO2 is more dangerous" BS line
Dang. I didn’t even consider the Dangers f co2.  Thanks for the heads up Rene

Why is the death rate still so high in NY and Mass?  Inferior medical facilities or just a bunch of unhealthy people or shoddy govt leadership?
My guess...

It hit earlier. With more older people because nobody was prepared/aware.

Now we get some some time bought and the risky approaches are done by far more younger and healthier.

Id expect big drops in the NY/Mass % as every day goes by.

My guess...

It hit earlier. With more older people because nobody was prepared/aware.

Now we get some some time bought and the risky approaches are done by far more younger and healthier.

Id expect big drops in the NY/Mass % as every day goes by.
On a serious note, I was surprised it’s still higher than other states.  The cases from 3-4 weeks ago are lining up with other states. One would assume the medical care is better and they have experience. I don’t think NY and Mass are disproportionately unhealthy. Leaves me wondering about the vitamin D theory 

Dang. I didn’t even consider the Dangers f co2.  Thanks for the heads up Rene
Pore size of N95 mask - 0.3 micrometers (1 x10 -6)

Coronavirus virion - 0.1 micrometer

Surgical and cloth mask pores - 0.3-10+ micrometers

CO2 molecule - 232 picometers - thats 1 x 10 -12

While it's a little more complicated than just pore size, why do you think a molecule ~ 1/1000th the size of the most restrictive masks would be impeded?

Pore size of N95 mask - 0.3 micrometers (1 x10 -6)

Coronavirus virion - 0.1 micrometer

Surgical and cloth mask pores - 0.3-10+ micrometers

CO2 molecule - 232 picometers - thats 1 x 10 -12

While it's a little more complicated than just pore size, why do you think a molecule ~ 1/1000th the size of the most restrictive masks would be impeded?
Cuz it gets hot on your face when you wear a mask and also you can smell your own stank breath.

Cuz it gets hot on your face when you wear a mask and also you can smell your own stank breath.
The initial hoarding taught me that many Americans never wiped their arses before the pandemic. Now I learn many don't brush their teeth and have never heard of mouthwash. I am learning new things about this country on a daily basis!

Question - If the numbers being reported by states are undercounting by 2-4x as many cases that are likely out there, why do these numbers matter?

Question - If the numbers being reported by states are undercounting by 2-4x as many cases that are likely out there, why do these numbers matter?
The numbers themselves don't specifically matter. The subsequent tracing and quarantining. And the general trends matter for purposes of reopening guidelines.

Last saturday, 6/27, we had 512 deaths.  Today we had 616.  This is the first major increase (compared to 7 days prior) since April or May.  

It may be noise, it may be the start of deaths following the increased positives.

Well, we tried letting the brakes off slightly, but looks like the KP household is probably going back in their whole.   I feel worst for the 13 year old - has no outlet since we are out of town a bit and nothing much to do here.   Been letting him go to the park to shoot hoops a bit over the last month and that was fine, also went to the rec center a couple times since it was hot and he shot by himself.    Then we (admittedly probably a no-Bueno choice) do a couple basketball groups.  One is a 1-1 training with a girl who just graduated with her dad helping a little.  Another was a small group of 6-7 that was doing a shooting camp.   However in one day on Friday, I got a few pieces of news:

1.  While he was at the rec center one day, 2 big groups of AAU teams came in and had practice.  

2.  One of those was an AAU team for his age. 

3.   One of the kids on that team tested positive. 

4.  2 of the kids on his normal were at that practice, and one was at his shoot around despite knowing about that positive test.  

5.  on top of that the dad of the girl my son works with called that same day and said that she works with another coach who was working one on one with a kid that tested positive.  Yeesh.  

One week of letting off breaks and that stuff already pops ups.  I get it - stuff will happen and work, school, and more and more of us will run across + cases.   Mostly pissed about the one kid who was act the practice after getting the email about the positive test.  

My personal theory on why COVID is exploding in the south US but retreating in the north:  people being inside.

Roughly April/May is when the weather is nice enough up north for people to spend lots of time outside - outdoor dining, recreating, back yard get togethers, golf, etc.  After being stuck inside all winter, people look for any reason to be outside.

In the south, its reverse.  Its too hot, and everyone retreats indoors.  No one wants to be outside when it's 95 F and humid.

I think this thing spreads indoors almost exclusively.  I think dispersion from naturally moving air helps, as does UV light.  You get neither indoors. 

I have nothing to back this up.

In the south, its reverse.  Its too hot, and everyone retreats indoors.  No one wants to be outside when it's 95 F and humid.
Unfortunately news video from the Guadalupe River proved this to not be the case in today's 100 degree weather. Packed, not a mask in site.

Last saturday, 6/27, we had 512 deaths.  Today we had 616.  This is the first major increase (compared to 7 days prior) since April or May.  

It may be noise, it may be the start of deaths following the increased positives.
According to worldmeters this was the lowest deaths since 3/23 with 254.   Granted that excludes 5 states and San Diego, but still not 616.

My personal theory on why COVID is exploding in the south US but retreating in the north:  people being inside.

Roughly April/May is when the weather is nice enough up north for people to spend lots of time outside - outdoor dining, recreating, back yard get togethers, golf, etc.  After being stuck inside all winter, people look for any reason to be outside.

I think this thing spreads indoors almost exclusively.  I think dispersion from naturally moving air helps, as does UV light.  You get neither indoors. 

Yes, I believe this is a factor too and have been surprised it hasn’t been discussed more.  It’s not the only reason for the southern spread but I agree it contributes.

I don't think I agree with you on the north-south thing, but I've seen other people advance that same hypothesis.  It seems to me that the difference in infection is more easily explained by sunbelt governors re-opening too early.  Admittedly, these explanations are not mutually exclusive and it could be both.

I'm growing fairly confident that you're right about the bolded part.  The protests were incredibly reckless, ill-advised, and amounted to an unethical human subjects experiment.  But they did demonstrate pretty conclusively that it's apparently pretty hard to contract covid in an outdoor setting.  It also sounds like the fomite vector was grossly overblown at the beginning of this.  Indoor air seems to be the main thing.

Terminalxylem said:
Incorrect. In the medical community, the controversy was based on using a drug with unclear benefit and potential for harm without appropriately designed clinical trials. While it was/is used desperately as a therapeutic Hail Mary, we still don’t have definitive data to support its use.

Like many other “issues” in the pandemic, politicization of science will likely cause more harm than good.
Were doctors using it before he mentioned it? Were they using it after he mentioned it? The answer to both is yes. The controversy was over who promoted it. That’s why the controversy was bs. 

Always been fascinated with Sweden’s approach and to see what happens with the virus there. Deaths decreasing sharply since May while cases increased. Cases fell off a cliff in Late June and lowest 7-day death average since it began in March. So without lockdowns, business closures and kids staying in school, is this showing the virus just dies out? Herd immunity much less than the 70%-80% often cited?

Big disparity in overall testing percentages from state to state.  One state is approaching 1 out of every 4 people being tested , while 22 others have yet to reach 1 out of every 10 people.  Some real head-scratchers when you filter the worldometer by tests per million.  AK & PA really stand out for sure.

While it has been pretty hot...we have yet to be seeing the 100 degree and super hot days until just recently in TN.  Not enough to seemingly keep people inside (and that shows in how many I have seen outside).  Yeah, I get that is different than Louisiana, Georgia, Florida and of course Arizona.  

We are just now moving into the miserable months really where we get more of those mid 90 and up degree days here.  

I don't think its a bad theory...but anecdotally in the Nashville area it doesn't fully hold up from what I have seen and the temps we have had.

Always been fascinated with Sweden’s approach and to see what happens with the virus there. Deaths decreasing sharply since May while cases increased. Cases fell off a cliff in Late June and lowest 7-day death average since it began in March. So without lockdowns, business closures and kids staying in school, is this showing the virus just dies out? Herd immunity much less than the 70%-80% often cited?
Have you compared Sweden's numbers to ours?

Cases per M - Sweden (7,071) vs USA (8,872)
Deaths per M - Sweden (537) vs USA (400)
Tests per M - Sweden (51,398) vs USA (111,670)

Under 5 years old - 1 of every 1.32M
5 thru 14 years - 1 of every 2.93M
15 thru 24 years - 1 of every 303K
25 thru 34 years - 1 of every 59K
35 thru 44 years - 1 of every 21K
45 thru 54 years - 1 of every 7.6K
55 thru 64 years - 1 of every 3.1K
65 thru 74 years - 1 of every 1.3K
75 thru 84 years - 1 of every 524
Over 85 years old - 1 of every 176

If Facebook is any indication, there's going to be a lot of new cases in the immediate future 
Yep, it’s like people can’t help themselves and never learn from their mistakes. Memorial Day causes a big spike in cases due to people getting together for parties and at bars, you’d think they’d skip the 4th especially in a hotspot. I remember a shortage of disposable flatware was my sign of trouble then, I think yesterday it was walking in at 9am and the carts were all in use and the beer aisle was empty. Celebrate freedom by guaranteeing another lockdown will be needed.

Have you compared Sweden's numbers to ours?

Cases per M - Sweden (7,071) vs USA (8,872)
Deaths per M - Sweden (537) vs USA (400)
Tests per M - Sweden (51,398) vs USA (111,670)
Yes, #7 dpm, just ahead of France and US. None of these stats points to why virus deaths have been dropping from May to their lowest levels with little intervention in Sweden. The Imperial College model which helped form UK and US policy predicted 96,000 deaths by June in Sweden unless they locked down. They’re at 5000.

Users who are viewing this thread