What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Don’t know what ORs he’s at but I can assure you the one I work in think none of those things. Pretty much just tired of taking care of stupid people. 
I think he overstated what they were saying but I’m sure some were downplaying it because they knew how much ‘getting bad’ would crush their business.

My wife's uncle has it and he's in bad shape. Lives in the Dominican Republic,  was tested a week ago and it came back positive but he's gone downhill since. They called an ambulance for him but it never showed. His wife who doesn't drive got someone to take him but they turned him away from the local hospital, the healthcare system there seems like a big challenge. Trying to get him to Santo Domingo but he's giving pushback thinking they'll just turn him away again, meanwhile he can barely speak. Incredibly frustrating. Horrible feeling of helplessness. 

Even the guy who was responsible for how Sweeden reacted to this crisis regrets what he did.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/06/871404638/frontman-behind-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-regrets-high-death-toll

But please, keep on keeping on. Nothing is wrong here. Nothing at all.
I don't think you read the whole article.

That's Anders Tegnell, the state epidemiologist, who's been the front man of the crisis. In a recent interview he appeared to admit Sweden should've adopted stricter measures but later said his comments had been overinterpreted. He said he still believes in the country's strategy but regrets the high death toll.

234 reported Covid-19 deaths today nationwide. 254 Covid-19 deaths nationwide yesterday. (New York still recording the highest numbers of daily deaths btw) Compare to the single highest daily U.S. death total which came on April 21st when 2,749 people died in the U.S. from Covid-19. Yesterday's total represents a 92% decrease in deaths from the worst day during this crisis some two and a half months ago.

Also...

2 More Weeks!!!

Or is it 3 more?!?!?!

Perhaps 4  More Weeks?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he overstated what they were saying but I’m sure some were downplaying it because they knew how much ‘getting bad’ would crush their business.
Of course. But rather than admit he was off mark, he double/triples down on his rigid stance, feeding into the gaslighting from some of our public officials.

234 reported Covid-19 deaths today nationwide. 254 Covid-19 deaths nationwide yesterday. (New York still recording the highest numbers of daily deaths btw) Compare to the single highest daily U.S. death total which came on April 21st when 2,749 people died in the U.S. from Covid-19. Yesterday's total represents a 92% decrease in deaths from the worst day during this crisis some two and a half months ago.

Also...

2 More Weeks!!!

Or is it 3 more?!?!?!

It’s great death rates are down trending. Let’s hope it stays that way, instead of mocking those who are planning for alternative, fairly probable scenarios.

Certainly we shouldn’t ignore the dramatic uptick in cases and hospitalizations.

Also...

2 More Weeks!!!

Or is it 3 more?!?!?!

Not sure where you’re getting the state daily fatalities from, but the statement regarding NY is incorrect unless every other state recorded fewer than 8 deaths yesterday. 

It’s great death rates are down trending. Let’s hope it stays that way, instead of mocking those who are planning for alternative, fairly probable scenarios.

Certainly we shouldn’t ignore the dramatic uptick in cases and hospitalizations.
It's not probable and the predictions of what is to come in TWO WEEKS came well over two weeks ago. It's time to start attempting to understand that this is nothing like March/April for a variety of reasons. When people keep shouting TWO WEEKS and then start shifting to 3 WEEKS and now even 4 WEEKS, it's apparent that they're not paying attention to what's actually happening.

Sunday totals are always slow and some states reported no data. With the holiday weekend too, these numbers are probably not an accurate reading

It's not probable and the predictions of what is to come in TWO WEEKS came well over two weeks ago. It's time to start attempting to understand that this is nothing like March/April for a variety of reasons. When people keep shouting TWO WEEKS and then start shifting to 3 WEEKS and now even 4 WEEKS, it's apparent that they're not paying attention to what's actually happening.
If you've followed my posts, I've  never given a two-week timeline for an uptick in deaths, focussing on cases and hospitalizations instead. Conveniently, you seem to be ignoring the correct prediction that both would increase a few weeks after people started congregating and minimizing NPIs. Weren't you mocking the delay in the resurgence of cases and hospitalizations too?

Also, I assure you I'm paying close attention to this, as my job demands it.

If you've followed my posts, I've  never given a two-week timeline for an uptick in deaths, focussing on cases and hospitalizations instead. Conveniently, you seem to be ignoring the correct prediction that both would increase a few weeks after people started congregating and minimizing NPIs. Weren't you mocking the delay in the resurgence of cases and hospitalizations too?

This country doesn’t want to be locked down.  It’s not capable of closing down.  It’s not going back to the semi-lockdown mode of April.   There were a lot of gatherings over the July 4 Holiday weekend.    Let’s see the numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths in two weeks even though nothing will change.     The majority of Americans are not going to follow social distancing guidelines anyway.  

This country doesn’t want to be locked down.  It’s not capable of closing down.  It’s not going back to the semi-lockdown mode of April.   There were a lot of gatherings over the July 4 Holiday weekend.    Let’s see the numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths in two weeks even though nothing will change.     The majority of Americans are not going to follow social distancing guidelines anyway.  
Specific areas will close down and the majority of people will, of course, obey the rules.  

The country was never locked down, and I’ve not said that is what’s needed now. But your wait and see approach is exactly what we shouldn’t do, as being non-proactive is what leads to healthcare facilities being overwhelmed. Just ask Italy, NYC and places in AZ, TX and FL now.

Actual conversation at a healthcare facility I've been helping at on weekends the last few months:

Several employees to armed security officer: "Masks are mandated"

Armed security: "I'm supposed to do a lot of things"

Employees: "Again, they're mandatory and can be fined for not wearing one"

Armed security guy: "That's ok. I'll shoot em"

All over wearing a mask. Employees went dead silent when he made the comment. Thankfully the "security" is gone. Sad there's people so inconsiderate  (This guy coughs and coughs and coughs....supposedly "allergies" according to him.......not that it should matter). Wasn't some kid. Late 50's gun nut with a few screws loose. I really don't know how he (had) been working security supposedly for 20-something years or able to carry period.
Sounds like a nut job.  Hopefully the healthcare facility ramps up security now that they've removed this guy.  Who knows what he's capable of.

Miami's 2,000+ bed public Jackson Health System, reporting 315 inpatients  who have tested positivefor COVID-19. Three weeks ago, the numbers were decreasing and had plateaued around 100. The patients have less severe symptoms and are  staying fewer days than in April and May. But this exponential increase is not sustainable much longer. Here are the daily numbers of COVID-19+ inpatients at Jackson from the last 25 days, most recent days first:

333, 301, 303, 315, 265, 244, 219, 223, 207, 211, 217, 210, 196, 182, 157, 153, 154, 144, 142, 137, 129, 120, 104, 100, 101, 105, 104.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Hospitalizations and ICU use going up across the county and state. Deaths are holding steady at a 7-day moving average of about 40. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/olivierlacan/status/1278759141910228992

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1278742341843660801
An update from Jackson Health System with the most recent numbers bolded. Hospital capacity is still adequate, and should be, assuming exponential growth doesn't continue and length of stay lower than it was in April. The immediate negative impact is cancellation of elective surgery starting today at Jackson. The other large local hospitals haven't followed suit, but the increase in COVID cases will likely cause some patients to postpone elective surgery, which is very bad for a hospital's financial health. 

Same here in Texas. Hospitals are pretty much maxed and medical professionals have been PLEADING with the city to take it seriously. And it had absolutely no effect this weekend at all. I am simply stunned.
One of the more disappointing things I've seen through this whole thing is the lack of concern for our medical professionals taking care of us.  "The hospitals aren't even overrun yet" seems to be the bar for many and it just leaves me :mellow:  every time I hear it.  Completely nonsensical to me.  

One of the more disappointing things I've seen through this whole thing is the lack of concern for our medical professionals taking care of us.  "The hospitals aren't even overrun yet" seems to be the bar for many and it just leaves me :mellow:  every time I hear it.  Completely nonsensical to me.  
It's so obvious that a careful rep-opening and required mask usage is what it takes to beat back this virus.  Look at the East Coast states and Europe.  Hit hard at first, you'd have think that the states that escaped a massive early impact would have learned.  Nope.  So now we'll probably have a subset of states open and doing business and a subset shut back down.  I guess we really do often need to really touch the stove ourselves just to make sure it's hot. 

It's pretty clear, everything not fitting the narrative is ignored by some...him included.  Remember his "follow the guidelines!!!!!" shtick?  Haven't heard a peep about that since everything started opening up against those guidelines and things started flaring up...weird right?

It's so obvious that a careful rep-opening and required mask usage is what it takes to beat back this virus.  Look at the East Coast states and Europe.  Hit hard at first, you'd have think that the states that escaped a massive early impact would have learned.  Nope.  So now we'll probably have a subset of states open and doing business and a subset shut back down.  I guess we really do often need to really touch the stove ourselves just to make sure it's hot. 
whack-a-mole is our approach of choice it seems moving forward and that most assuredly means we will have a much more significant economic impact.  our bed's been made...now we lie in it.

We just got back from 2 weeks in Florida and I just got off a two week timeout.  Some thoughts/observations.

- We had this trip planned for a long time.  I was apprehensive before leaving and my anxiety just ramped up as we watched Florida cases spike.

- Was I irresponsible going?  (Someone may ask so thought I’d answer).  Maybe.  The state was open - it was a 5 hour drive. We didn’t go inside any restaurants and wore masks the few times we had to go inside (gas station, grocery store).  We did eat outside 3 times and 2 of the 3 were really good experiences.  The third was iffy but still outside and air flowing.

- We just went to the beach every day.  I worked the first week.  The beaches seemed just like they always do, but people definitely seemed to keep their space.  We were in a family friendly part of the gulf (Miramar) so not a lot of young adults.

- It definitely felt like people were not taking it seriously though.  We walked around a few places and saw stores/restaurants with no masks requirements, almost nobody wearing them and a lot of workers not wearing them.  For example, my wife’s birthday was while we were down there.  Went and picked up a DQ ice cream cake.  I was the only person in there wearing a mask.

- I think one contributor to the spread in the south (even if it’s small) is folks doing what I just did and then potentially taking the virus back to their part of the country.  I plan to isolate myself for a while but things are still as back to normal around here (Georgia) so I’m sure lots of people who went down and did eat inside restaurants will be out and about.

- Would I go again?  This is the interesting question.  I think there’s a balance everyone needs to find.  Knowing what Florida seems to be going through I’d say no, I would have opted for something else.  But that’s due to their cases spiking while I was there.  I felt the trip itself was ok and everything we did was relatively safe.  

We just got back from 2 weeks in Florida and I just got off a two week timeout.  Some thoughts/observations.

- We had this trip planned for a long time.  I was apprehensive before leaving and my anxiety just ramped up as we watched Florida cases spike.

- Was I irresponsible going?  (Someone may ask so thought I’d answer).  Maybe.  The state was open - it was a 5 hour drive. We didn’t go inside any restaurants and wore masks the few times we had to go inside (gas station, grocery store).  We did eat outside 3 times and 2 of the 3 were really good experiences.  The third was iffy but still outside and air flowing.

- We just went to the beach every day.  I worked the first week.  The beaches seemed just like they always do, but people definitely seemed to keep their space.  We were in a family friendly part of the gulf (Miramar) so not a lot of young adults.

- It definitely felt like people were not taking it seriously though.  We walked around a few places and saw stores/restaurants with no masks requirements, almost nobody wearing them and a lot of workers not wearing them.  For example, my wife’s birthday was while we were down there.  Went and picked up a DQ ice cream cake.  I was the only person in there wearing a mask.

- I think one contributor to the spread in the south (even if it’s small) is folks doing what I just did and then potentially taking the virus back to their part of the country.  I plan to isolate myself for a while but things are still as back to normal around here (Georgia) so I’m sure lots of people who went down and did eat inside restaurants will be out and about.

- Would I go again?  This is the interesting question.  I think there’s a balance everyone needs to find.  Knowing what Florida seems to be going through I’d say no, I would have opted for something else.  But that’s due to their cases spiking while I was there.  I felt the trip itself was ok and everything we did was relatively safe.  
Welcome back, I'm just off a 3 month timeout.  Your description of Florida matches what we're seeing from a case rise perspective.  If the virus ever gets a foothold in The Village, Florida will be screwed.  I just spent two weeks in Rehoboth DE. and my experience was the opposite.  Mask required in stores and the boardwalk, and 90% of people wearing them just walking around town.  I saw cops yell at a biker who wasn't wearing a mask.

We did drive through Dewey Beach though and the line of young people waiting to get into the bars was outside the doors and business as usual.  Dewey basically shut down a week later.

We just can't believe the stove is hot I guess. 

Hope you enjoyed vacation

Welcome back, I'm just off a 3 month timeout.  Your description of Florida matches what we're seeing from a case rise perspective.  If the virus ever gets a foothold in The Village, Florida will be screwed.  I just spent two weeks in Rehoboth DE. and my experience was the opposite.  Mask required in stores and the boardwalk, and 90% of people wearing them just walking around town.  I saw cops yell at a biker who wasn't wearing a mask.

We did drive through Dewey Beach though and the line of young people waiting to get into the bars was outside the doors and business as usual.  Dewey basically shut down a week later.

We just can't believe the stove is hot I guess. 

Hope you enjoyed vacation
Thanks, we had a nice relaxing time and the water down at the gulf was incredible.  Probably the best I've seen in it in my 45 years.

You are right about the Villages.  My Dad and Stepmother live 2 miles north of there and they are saying things are still ok in that area.  Hopefully it doesn't spread.

Thanks, we had a nice relaxing time and the water down at the gulf was incredible.  Probably the best I've seen in it in my 45 years.

You are right about the Villages.  My Dad and Stepmother live 2 miles north of there and they are saying things are still ok in that area.  Hopefully it doesn't spread.
What about the water was so good?  Cleaner, warmer, less "red tide", etc?

It's amazing how great nature can get when humans limit their activities. 

The country was never locked down, and I’ve not said that is what’s needed now. But your wait and see approach is exactly what we shouldn’t do, as being non-proactive is what leads to healthcare facilities being overwhelmed. Just ask Italy, NYC and places in AZ, TX and FL now.
I never said we should wait and see.   I’m interested to see the numbers after so many people were together over the Holiday weekend.   There isn’t going to be another lockdown.   The majority of citizens have made up their minds and are going back to normal living with a little social distancing sprinkled in.    I’m not stating that it’s correct but that is what is happening.   

I think it really depends where you are in FL with how serious people are taking this.

For example, we were in Boca Grande last week and the majority of people had masks on.  Some stores even required them for entry.

But if you go to other places like Fort Myers Beach, people are definitely like, "haha, yeah, whatevs".

From my recent experiences with the gulf water...

Definitely cleaner water.

No red tide.

Very warm water.  The water temp was up to 90 on some days.

Some other ramblings about the virus:

• Several things about this epidemic baffle me and here's a couple:  1. how some of this has turned political - it's just grotesque all the way around.  It's not everybody but it's still a lot of people.  I think you can ignore political parties on this and just say that it seems like overall we have not handled this well and it's depressing to think that politics is a contributor.  2. too many people (not necessarily here at FBGs but just in general) think they have facts about what is going on when they really have no clue.  Even the leading experts don't have a lot of answers to certain questions, I'm not sure why lay people would think they do. 
With that as my caveat of sorts - I wanted to throw out additional thoughts/ideas - not as facts but more to talk out my understanding of what is/may be going on.

• Early on it seems we did a few things poorly - didn't do versions of SIP/SAH quick enough;  we didn't isolate elderly, especially at nursing homes and we advised people to not wear masks (even if the intent was good to save PPE for healthcare workers it turned out bad).  FTR, I'm pro-mask indoors in public at all times.  Outdoors seems like a mixed bag - there's so many variables and situations to cover.  Ideally, we would have really good numbers and tracking and then we could maybe stamp out hot spots quicker by requiring masks but logistically and leadership-wise we seem to be far away from that happening.
  • Also early on we did not have testing ramped up so we probably missed a lot of cases - which I'm sure happened everywhere (or almost everywhere).  Sounds like we still are not testing everyone.  So it seems like our numbers were definitely under reported and skewed towards those who were really sick and/or old.  It seems like this is probably still the case to some degree but not nearly as bad as early on.  What does that mean?  Maybe nothing but it does seem to be consensus that this means the virus isn't as deadly but even saying that implies that things are ok and they aren't.  120k+ dead is horrible and we are not doing a good job.
  • Back to testing - I think (and it's just a thought) that our case numbers are low - how low, I have no clue.  But it seems like people are saying the numbers being low are good or bad - I think it's a mixed bag.  Them being low means the death rate is lower (good) but it also means we have a lot more people who have it and can pass it on (bad).  I think the assumption was that we would eventually be testing everyone (and maybe do contact tracing) but we still seem so far away from that and our populace won't go along with it.
  • One thing I can say with a lot of confidence is most young people do not take this seriously at all unless they are directly impacted.  Unless you keep things closed down (schools, churches, etc.) this is just going to keep ramping up and down everywhere until there's a vaccine.  I'm mentally preparing myself for this to be the new normal until late 2021 or 2022.

It was almost like the Caribbean.  Crystal clear and zero stuff in the water - jellyfish/seaweed/trash.  I have no clue if it was just luck or less pollution or what was going on but it was fantastic.  Obviously the seaweed/jellyfish was probably luck.

I think it really depends where you are in FL with how serious people are taking this.

For example, we were in Boca Grande last week and the majority of people had masks on.  Some stores even required them for entry.

But if you go to other places like Fort Myers Beach, people are definitely like, "haha, yeah, whatevs".
Definitely - we drove by Seaside and there were stores saying masks required.  If I had to guess I'd put the voluntary mask wearing at 5-10% or less in the area where I was.

Don't worry gb, he's not mocking you.

I never said we should wait and see.   I’m interested to see the numbers after so many people were together over the Holiday weekend.   There isn’t going to be another lockdown.   The majority of citizens have made up their minds and are going back to normal living with a little social distancing sprinkled in.    I’m not stating that it’s correct but that is what is happening.   
Citizens have not made up their minds.  Citizens are doing what they are allowed to do.  Do you think Italians would have shut down if their government hadn't demanded it?  Do you think the citizens of NYC would have stayed in their homes if it wasn't for the strict lockdowns?  

The reason it appears that things are going back to normal is that governments are allowing it to happen.

Florida has Disney World opening next weekend, the MLS starting their tournament this week, and is awaiting the fresh start of the NBA season later this month.  Florida is not taking this seriously.

But IF/WHEN Florida does, the citizens will fall in line.  Because they'll have to.  If there are protests, they will be a very small portion of the population.  

Definitely - we drove by Seaside and there were stores saying masks required.  If I had to guess I'd put the voluntary mask wearing at 5-10% or less in the area where I was.
I stated up thread a bit that there are days where I walk around and am like "wow...people get it"...then two days later, exact same place and not a single mask outside the employees.  It's so freakin' weird...I've given up trying to figure it out.  With that said it seems the "problems" are younger people and "older" people duped by the politics of it all.  Unfortunately, that is A LOT of people.  Everyone else seems to be coming from a logical mindset.

It's pretty clear, everything not fitting the narrative is ignored by some...him included.  Remember his "follow the guidelines!!!!!" shtick?  Haven't heard a peep about that since everything started opening up against those guidelines and things started flaring up...weird right?
Those posters who are only here to mock and troll, aren't to be taken seriously anyway.  

Everything we know about this virus says two things:

1. States in the South aren't doing anything to stop the spread, so cases will go up

2. Death rates in areas where cases are going up are going to rise, as they always have.

If by some reason this virus has magically morphed into a non-lethal version of itself and death rates don't rise in the south, THAT'S AWESOME.  I'll take their lives over the mockery from a few online trolls.  I don't see any evidence that this has happened, of course, and I think governments should plan like this is the exact same virus.  But I hope it's not.  It would be nice for this to just go away.

One thing I can say with a lot of confidence is most young people do not take this seriously at all unless they are directly impacted.  Unless you keep things closed down (schools, churches, etc.) this is just going to keep ramping up and down everywhere until there's a vaccine.  I'm mentally preparing myself for this to be the new normal until late 2021 or 2022.
It’s not just upping people, it’s say at least as many older people don’t take it seriously either and they are more directly impacted.  At least from what I see the younger people are wearing masks in larger percentages than the older ones.

Those posters who are only here to mock and troll, aren't to be taken seriously anyway.  
I truly hope it is mocking and trolling. But the more I see of people's behavior despite the effects it has on the nation, I'm really starting to wonder if the average mental capacity of many in this nation is really just that low. Logic, cognitive skill and reason just seem so absolutely lacking on such a large scale, I'm not sure I can believe it is all just schtick.

It’s not just upping people, it’s say at least as many older people don’t take it seriously either and they are more directly impacted.  At least from what I see the younger people are wearing masks in larger percentages than the older ones.
Really?  Where are you located?  In Atlanta area and down at the beach if you see folks with masks it skews old/older for sure. 

That's not even remotely true around here. I mean, not even close. Not that their aren't many older idiots, but they are nowhere near the number of younger idiots.

So, what are the cases and percentages for your local county?  For me:

County population: 600,000

Positive tests: 1,692 (per this page, which was put out by our county)

Total number of tests: 38,792

Positive percentage: 4.4%

Deaths: 86 

Death percentage relative to positive tests: 5.08%
Numbers as of today in my county:

Positive tests: 2,277

Total number of tests: 46,055

Positive percentage: 5%

Deaths: 90

Death percentage relative to positive tests: 3.95%

My brother (late 40s) just tested positive on Monday (2 days ago).

Woke up on Monday achy, mild fever, mild headache.  He's a doc, so he got tested that morning and got the results that afternoon.  Went home, began quarantine in the basement.  Yesterday he had the dry cough but the other symptoms had abated.  Today he reports himself basically 90% of the way back to normal.

So it looks like for him it will be a non-event, other than a couple of weeks of no work and minimal family.  Awesome.  We have friends who have been hit much harder.

Update:  he was diagnosed 7 days ago, had mild symptoms, and has been symptom-free for the past 4 days, I believe.  He'll get retested here in another week or so, and then get back to work/life.  Awesome.

Assuming there is a genetic component to susceptibility, his experience augurs well for me should I catch it.  Viral load being a key variable of course.  We are of similar age and are both fairly fit.  I'm older at 50, but am slightly fitter.

It was almost like the Caribbean.  Crystal clear and zero stuff in the water - jellyfish/seaweed/trash.  I have no clue if it was just luck or less pollution or what was going on but it was fantastic.  Obviously the seaweed/jellyfish was probably luck.
Yeah, when we were down near Grayton the water was clearer and better than ever.  We were there 10 days after a tropical storm went thru and I think that was a factor.  

At times it looked like bora bora.  

A popular anti-mask/anti-lockdown meme that I’ve seen posted lately states (paraphrasing):

‘If masks work so well, why do we need to shut businesses down again? Pick a lane and stay in it.’

Simple little statement but does a great job of showing the (lack of) thought process that goes into the anti-mask stance. If we had proper mask usage, social distancing and quit with the holiday celebrations, there likely would be no need to shut the businesses down again. That’s exactly what every other country that’s successfully re-opened has done. The reason for new shutdowns is because we’re unable to follow these recommendations without someone forcing us to.

Citizens have not made up their minds.  Citizens are doing what they are allowed to do.  Do you think Italians would have shut down if their government hadn't demanded it?  Do you think the citizens of NYC would have stayed in their homes if it wasn't for the strict lockdowns?  

The reason it appears that things are going back to normal is that governments are allowing it to happen.

Florida has Disney World opening next weekend, the MLS starting their tournament this week, and is awaiting the fresh start of the NBA season later this month.  Florida is not taking this seriously.

But IF/WHEN Florida does, the citizens will fall in line.  Because they'll have to.  If there are protests, they will be a very small portion of the population.  
:goodposting:   I don't get this whole "we're not locking down again" thing I see sometimes... if COVID gets out of hand we're absolutely locking down again, precisely because people can't be trusted to collectively keep COVID under control otherwise. The whole arc of this was entirely predictable months ago: 

People made changes because we were told to.  And we were told to because if we hadn't been, we wouldn't have made the changes.  

Everyone wants to get back to normal, they're just waiting to be allowed to.  Once restrictions are lifted, people will go back whether it's safe to or not.  

Everything we know about this virus says two things:

1. States in the South aren't doing anything to stop the spread, so cases will go up

2. Death rates in areas where cases are going up are going to rise, as they always have.

If by some reason this virus has magically morphed into a non-lethal version of itself and death rates don't rise in the south, THAT'S AWESOME.  I'll take their lives over the mockery from a few online trolls.  I don't see any evidence that this has happened, of course, and I think governments should plan like this is the exact same virus.  But I hope it's not.  It would be nice for this to just go away.
In the hardest hit areas in Florida, namely, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, officials have taken more action than elsewhere in Florida. And mask usage in stores is near 100%. Obviously, it's not enough as the virus continues to spread. Other factors are at play such as poverty, living density, types of jobs, protests, etc. Contact tracing is still poor so these are mainly conjectures at this point.

ER doctors in South Florida have said that patients are coming in earlier with less severe symptoms, standard of care has improved and patients are much younger than earlier and length of stay is much less. Overall death rate has declined dramatically, but deaths could be offset by an increase in positive cases. Time will tell. Also, just keeping the total deaths in Florida between 35 and 50 (7-day moving average), as it has been for 2 months, is not acceptable.

There should be strict national standards for contact tracing, so we can better guide decisions. The government and NIH are throwing lots of money at this, what's another couple of billion. 

Contact tracing in Florida: https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1279826497482764290

Florida only 6,336 cases today!  But the positive rate is still 15%, so no real change is happening, just a slow testing day.

Week over week Florida results:

Last Monday:  5,266 cases, 28 deaths

This Monday: 6,336 cases, 48 deaths

A popular anti-mask/anti-lockdown meme that I’ve seen posted lately states (paraphrasing):

‘If masks work so well, why do we need to shut businesses down again? Pick a lane and stay in it.’

Simple little statement but does a great job of showing the (lack of) thought process that goes into the anti-mask stance. If we had proper mask usage, social distancing and quit with the holiday celebrations, there likely would be no need to shut the businesses down again. That’s exactly what every other country that’s successfully re-opened has done. The reason for new shutdowns is because we’re unable to follow these recommendations without someone forcing us to.
People are, in general, stupid.  They don't get, nor has their leadership really explained, the point of masks.  

Users who are viewing this thread