What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

If I'm reading this correctly they are saying that we may be under reporting deaths by about 26k+?  I have no comment on whether I think that's expected - I really have no clue but I guess that number doesn't shock me.  It's sad and would mean we are over 158k deaths total - we would have almost 30% of all Covid deaths.

It would be interesting to get that same data for other countries.

It’s not just upping people, it’s say at least as many older people don’t take it seriously either and they are more directly impacted.  At least from what I see the younger people are wearing masks in larger percentages than the older ones.
Really?  Where are you located?  In Atlanta area and down at the beach if you see folks with masks it skews old/older for sure. 
What is the ratio of young to old people at the beach?

It’s not just upping people, it’s say at least as many older people don’t take it seriously either and they are more directly impacted.  At least from what I see the younger people are wearing masks in larger percentages than the older ones.
That's not even remotely true around here. I mean, not even close. Not that their aren't many older idiots, but they are nowhere near the number of younger idiots.
I am assuming there are a lot of young and old idiots in Texas 😉 

What is the ratio of young to old people at the beach?
Definitely skews young but I'm confused by your point.  About the only people I personally saw wearing them were some older folks.

Around where I live I imagine we are your typical suburban area - and here it's also more old people than young wearing them.  Honestly, I'm flabbergasted when I don't see an elderly person wearing a mask in a store.  Seems like they are playing Russian roulette. 

I think @tri-man 47 said something similar a while back but India looks kind of scary to me right now.  I'm not following what they are doing to stop the spread but they have an almost perfect exponential growth curve going on and they've only tested 10M out of 1.38B people (per Worldometer).  They have only tested 7,224 out of every million people.  I was talking to a co-worker who is from their and he said things are getting scary and according to him they are turning away non-Covid patients for treatment.  No clue the validity of that and/or how widespread but that's horrible if true.

I think @tri-man 47 said something similar a while back but India looks kind of scary to me right now.  I'm not following what they are doing to stop the spread but they have an almost perfect exponential growth curve going on and they've only tested 10M out of 1.38B people (per Worldometer).  They have only tested 7,224 out of every million people.  I was talking to a co-worker who is from their and he said things are getting scary and according to him they are turning away non-Covid patients for treatment.  No clue the validity of that and/or how widespread but that's horrible if true.
In many of these countries it’s just so difficult to truly know what’s going on.  If this happened 20 years ago we’d have reporters at hospitals around the world, sharing what’s happening and we’d know more.

Now the news is all political all the time.  

Id love to get more details on India, Brazil, Mexico, etc. 

If I'm reading this correctly they are saying that we may be under reporting deaths by about 26k+?  I have no comment on whether I think that's expected - I really have no clue but I guess that number doesn't shock me.  It's sad and would mean we are over 158k deaths total - we would have almost 30% of all Covid deaths.

It would be interesting to get that same data for other countries.
Reported deaths. This is why I brought up how we count cases relative to the rest of the world. If we are undercounting, most of the rest of the world is undercounting worse than us. Our percentage would be and still is high, but that percentage is already inflated a bit. 

Reported deaths. This is why I brought up how we count cases relative to the rest of the world. If we are undercounting, most of the rest of the world is undercounting worse than us. Our percentage would be and still is high, but that percentage is already inflated a bit. 
Reported deaths, yes.  I agree that if we are underreporting then most likely others are too but not sure what you mean by "already inflated a bit".  What are you saying is inflated?

So I’m high risk. Cardiologist visits have only been via telehealth. Primary care doc wouldn’t do remote and wouldn’t do drive up (nurse meets in designated spot in parking lot to take vitals etc) like they did before. Needed to come in for controlled med. 1 person in the entire office was wearing a mask besides me. Receptionist didn’t, doc didn’t, his PA didn’t. She took my blood pressure and both were next to me. Saw some patients walking in and out without them too. Sort of shocked honestly. Wife said I should have walked out. Downstairs people all had masks waiting to get blood drawn at the lab. But not my docs office. Ventura County, CA. 

Reported deaths, yes.  I agree that if we are underreporting then most likely others are too but not sure what you mean by "already inflated a bit".  What are you saying is inflated?
Just the way we count cases compared to other countries. My opinion, of course, but I think it would be backed up by similar studies being done in other countries. I detailed more of this previously, but in Spain they only count deaths who have a positive test in a hospital. Compared to our protocols where we counted patients who didn’t even have a test, it’s likely Spain’s percentage is even more underreported. I looked at a few more countries, and our policies seemed more liberal than anywhere. Then you have Russia, China, and others who know one should believe. 

I’m sure similar studies will be done eventually around the globe, and I would bet our percentage will go down when the numbers come out, even if we aren’t catching every case ourselves. 

So I’m high risk. Cardiologist visits have only been via telehealth. Primary care doc wouldn’t do remote and wouldn’t do drive up (nurse meets in designated spot in parking lot to take vitals etc) like they did before. Needed to come in for controlled med. 1 person in the entire office was wearing a mask besides me. Receptionist didn’t, doc didn’t, his PA didn’t. She took my blood pressure and both were next to me. Saw some patients walking in and out without them too. Sort of shocked honestly. Wife said I should have walked out. Downstairs people all had masks waiting to get blood drawn at the lab. But not my docs office. Ventura County, CA. 
Not best practices for you or them. Your wife was right. Did you sign a waiver regarding the possibility of catching COVID-19?

Welcome back, I'm just off a 3 month timeout.  Your description of Florida matches what we're seeing from a case rise perspective.  If the virus ever gets a foothold in The Village, Florida will be screwed.  I just spent two weeks in Rehoboth DE. and my experience was the opposite.  Mask required in stores and the boardwalk, and 90% of people wearing them just walking around town.  I saw cops yell at a biker who wasn't wearing a mask.

We did drive through Dewey Beach though and the line of young people waiting to get into the bars was outside the doors and business as usual.  Dewey basically shut down a week later.

We just can't believe the stove is hot I guess. 

Hope you enjoyed vacation
I'm about to head to Rehoboth next week.  What are the places to avoid?  Both beaches as well as towns?  Did you visit Lewes at all?

In many of these countries it’s just so difficult to truly know what’s going on.  If this happened 20 years ago we’d have reporters at hospitals around the world, sharing what’s happening and we’d know more.

Now the news is all political all the time.  

Id love to get more details on India, Brazil, Mexico, etc. 
While certainly political, some of the lack of news is likely due to international travel kinda coming to a halt as countries restricted who can come and go

Honestly, if I were you, I'd find a near PCP. I couldn't stay with someone and have them responsible for my care when they obviously don't give two ####s about it. 

And yet here in the US these stores were deemed essential businesses.  Awful judgement all around.
I was all for closing stuff down (and still in favor where appropriate) but I’ve yet to hear a good argument for keeping liquor stores closed.  If anything, the arguments for keeping them open were more persuasive than many other businesses.  

I was all for closing stuff down (and still in favor where appropriate) but I’ve yet to hear a good argument for keeping liquor stores closed.  If anything, the arguments for keeping them open were more persuasive than many other businesses.  
Pretty sure the UK article was specifically about the pubs reopening, not liquor stores. Obviously those two things are worlds apart.

Edit: And yes, I understand you can't tell that from the single quote from the article. Just letting it be known what the article was about.

Last edited by a moderator:
DallasDMac said:
Honestly, if I were you, I'd find a near PCP. I couldn't stay with someone and have them responsible for my care when they obviously don't give two ####s about it. 
I’m going to at least question him when I give my blood pressure readings next week. Like dude - no mask raised my blood pressure

Pretty sure the UK article was specifically about the pubs reopening, not liquor stores. Obviously those two things are worlds apart.

Edit: And yes, I understand you can't tell that from the single quote from the article. Just letting it be known what the article was about.
Sand mentioned essential businesses - I’m not aware of bars being considered that anywhere in the US but liquor stores were. Agree they are worlds apart and in fact, closing bars was one of the good arguments for keeping liquor stores open.

I love this thread for all the information and education it provides. 

I hate this thread for the reminder in provides about the horrible state of this country and it's people.

Such a great country and people when we find the ability, strength, and intelligence to be unified when it's necessary.

Sand mentioned essential businesses - I’m not aware of bars being considered that anywhere in the US but liquor stores were. Agree they are worlds apart and in fact, closing bars was one of the good arguments for keeping liquor stores open.
I said from the start that liquor stores were essential to the well-being of distance learners across the country. Even though it's now summer break, I stand by that. Love my kids but holy #### are we all sick of the same 5 faces. 

Watching the coverage of the nba and it’s ability to get everyone, EVERYONE!!!, in the bubble, tested. DAILY!!!’   Is f’ing maddening. 

My work has it’s first positive test and everyone is scrambling to get tested. And it’s a real struggle. 3-8 day turn around. IF!!, you can tested at all. 

Utter horse ####. 

The Z Machine said:
I'm about to head to Rehoboth next week.  What are the places to avoid?  Both beaches as well as towns?  Did you visit Lewes at all?
After the outbreak in Dewey, Rehoboth got much stricter on masks.  So I think you're good walking around and on the boards in Rehoboth.  For the beach, it's masks to get there and then social distancing on the beach.  Beach was obviously fairly crowded though.  

We did go into Lewes and the masks use wasn't quite as prevalent but still pretty good.  Not as crowded as Rehoboth so you can walk around and enjoy while social distancing.

Have a great time.

Interesting Dutch survey of mild Covid patients. Not exactly the most scientific study, but troubling nonetheless:

The health of many Corona patients who have not been admitted to hospital is still 'frighteningly poor' after months. That's what Longfonds director Michael Rutgers says. Many home patients even have problems walking.

Fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pressure, headaches, muscle aches: almost three months after the first symptoms typical for the virus, part of the Corona patients who were sick at home still have serious complaints. This was the conclusion of a survey carried out by the Dutch Lung Foundation together with the treatment and knowledge centre CIRO and Maastricht University among more than 1600 people with Corona type complains. No less than 95 percent of those surveyed indicated that they had problems with simple daily activities. Longfonds director Michael Rutgers. „We're really shocked by this. More than six in ten even have problems walking.''

Of the people who participated in the study, 91 percent have never been in hospital because of Corona, and 43 percent have not been diagnosed by a doctor. "This is the first time that this large patient group has been identified. These people really need to be seen, heard and helped,'' says Rutgers. „We need to prevent this group of patients from ending up invisible after corona.''

The average age of participants in the study is 53 years. By far the largest group (85 percent) says that their health was good before the Corona infection; now only 6 percent experience good health. Nearly half of them said that they were no longer able to exercise after the corona infection. The health of corona patients who have experienced the disease at home is frighteningly poor,'' explains the Longfonds director. Until now, the focus has been - rightly so - on the people who have ended up in the hospital or even on the ICU. But we shouldn't forget this group of home-based Corona patients.''

Top 10 most frequently mentioned complaints, almost three months after the first symptoms

Fatigue (87.8%)
Shortness of breath or tightness of breath (74.2%)

Chest pressure (45.4%)
Headache (39.8%)
Muscle pain (36.2%)
Pain between shoulder blades (35.2%)

Palpitations (32.7%)
Increased resting heart rate (30.1%)
Dizziness (28.6%)
Coughing (28.3%)

Source: Lung Fund Survey, treatment and knowledge centre CIRO and Maastricht University
Tl;dr - Most of them felt like crap for months after infection.

Interesting Dutch survey of mild Covid patients. Not exactly the most scientific study, but troubling nonetheless:

Tl;dr - Most of them felt like crap for months after infection.
Article on CNN today about that ...one of their staff who continues to reflect those longer-term issues - still some of the bothersome cough; clumsiness; spacey mind; fatigue.  

I do not want to catch this virus, as an old guy and an active runner.

jplvr said:
Talked to my niece a couple days ago.  She’s back in the US, having been sent home from their family’s missionary work in Tanzania.  She tells me, via friends there, that Tanzania stopped reporting data in May.  

She also mentioned that people there continued to work ...they had no choice, as it’s more of a day to day subsistence.  The virus hasn’t taken off in a significant way, apparently due to the rural nature of much of the country.  But it is an issue and a concern.

I hate this thread for the reminder in provides about the horrible state of this country and it's people.
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that 99% of FBGs live in communities where everybody is an ####### except for them.

I consider myself blessed to live in a nice little town where most people actually wear masks and generally are considerate of other folks around them.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that 99% of FBGs live in communities where everybody is an ####### except for them.

I consider myself blessed to live in a nice little town where most people actually wear masks and generally are considerate of other folks around them.
Same here.  The a-holes are far outnumbered by the non-a-holes. 

I meant that more as a "people as a whole" that simply can't seem to educate themselves, instead choosing to blindly follow a very divisive leadership that politicizes common sense and makes this a battle of economy vs. health. 

My community (and the entire region of New England) seems to be acting in a very considerate manner, as well. 

Wife went to two places yesterday after donating blood

Trader Joes. 100% masks - both employees and customers. Limiting number of people in the door. People distancing and being generous

Fleet Farm (I know, but we needed hay and wood shavings for our chickens). Maybe 5% masks - both employees and customers. Place was crowded and nobody seemed to give a #### about any distancing.

We just cancelled our annual Alaska fishing trip because of this damn thing. This would have been our 8th year. 
Such a bummer:
Sucks gb - I hate that for you.  I guess you didn't want to chance the flights?  You could always drive to Alaska  :P

I know #waittwoweeks and #pneumoniadeathsmatter all that, but nationwide we are below pandemic levels of death as of today as it's reported.

Worldwide there are perhaps just 8 countries left in pandemic status, maybe fewer, need to figure out where this is being updated.

I know #waittwoweeks and #pneumoniadeathsmatter all that, but nationwide we are below pandemic levels of death as of today as it's reported.

Worldwide there are perhaps just 8 countries left in pandemic status, maybe fewer, need to figure out where this is being updated.
The parts in red need unpacking. I'm not aware that there's a "level of death" denoted as a "pandemic level of death". Specifically, the pandemic status of a disease should be a separate thing from the raw numbers or percentages of deaths caused.

First day of numbers after a long weekend for Florida:

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

Florida:

+7347 (16.27% positive.  Highest yet and some counties are over 20%)

+380 hospitalizations (a record for FL during covid)

+63 deaths

Of real concern is that in today's Florida report, the median age was 40.  If you go back 2 weeks, the median age on 6/23 was around 33.  In just two weeks it's up to 40, which is exactly what anyone with a brain knew would happen.

And they are forcing open schools?  And the MLS starts tomorrow?  And Disney World opens this weekend?  And the NBA comes to town in a few weeks??

The parts in red need unpacking. I'm not aware that there's a "level of death" denoted as a "pandemic level of death". Specifically, the pandemic status of a disease should be a separate thing from the raw numbers or percentages of deaths caused.
Call the WHO then.

This is a good thing.  Most countries have successfully dealt with the first wave and can move to prevention of a second wave. 

Call the WHO then.
I can't find any WHO document, web page, or other publication that mentions death rates. The definition of Pandemic is consistent everywhere I look. It's exclusively about geographic range and large portions of populations being infected.

From the CDC web site: "Pandemic refers to an epidemic that has spread over several countries or continents, usually affecting a large number of people." https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/lesson1/section11.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pandemic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pandemic?s=t

EDIT: I don't see a basic definition on WHO's site. Feel free to share if you have that.

Call the WHO then.
What were you sourcing when you posted? Was it something on the WHO's website directly? Was is something heard on the radio or seen on TV? Something in the local paper?

You dropped something of a controversial statement without backup. You can understand that people will want to peel back the layers and know where the statements are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread