What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

EZD222 said:
Has anyone talked about Thanksgiving or Christmas? I feel like those are nightmare scenarios that the average person isn't thinking about. The amount of people that are going to travel and then congregate indoors....oof.

And we can't pull off shutting down the country like China did for CNY. 
I dunno.  I can easily see people keeping one or both of those low key.  

EZD222 said:
Has anyone talked about Thanksgiving or Christmas? I feel like those are nightmare scenarios that the average person isn't thinking about. The amount of people that are going to travel and then congregate indoors....oof.

And we can't pull off shutting down the country like China did for CNY. 
Let’s factor in all the college kids traveling home after an abbreviated semester that a lot of schools are embracing. That’s assuming the schools make it through an abbreviated semester.

Sand said:
Interesting article here about the possible issues with distribution of vaccine.  I can see a huge amount of politicization and screaming at each other over who gets theirs first when and if a vaccine is produced.  There had to be an order, though.  I just hope it's something sane.  Those with immune conditions (chemo, etc.), Medical workers, and the elderly should be first.  Then probably the working populace, and then the rest.  

But I expect a huge amount of blowback on whatever scheme is used.  Nothing like a crisis to use for advantage.
That will be interesting to watch. Our family doctor said he would advise our family against considering the vaccine as it takes a much longer time to determine a vaccine is safe than what will happen with this as well as not being in the high risk category. Given the opportunity I would pass on the vaccine I think based on this as well as knowing I could be taking the opportunity away from a high risk person. 

You’re right on one point.  New York’s case counts early on weren’t accurate and can’t be compared to states today.  It’s likely that with proper testing, New York would have had 40-100k cases a day at their peak. 

But you’re wrong everywhere else.  New York had a massive issue before they even knew what hit them.  The state of testing in the USA was horrid at the time.  Health experts weren’t recommending masks.  People (like you) were promoting hydroxychloroquine. (Though to your credit, I do recall your promoting masks early on)

New York went into a lockdown 4 weeks before their deaths peaked. 

Basically, NYC got dealt a terrible hand.

As a center of travel, a city with one of the highest densities in the USA, and a subway system that likely allowed this to explode in a population not prepared for it, NYC was screwed from the start.

Yet despite that, they locked down FOUR WEEKS BEFORE their peak deaths hit.  

So in a lot of ways they did a beautiful job of taking a horrific situation, and making the best of it.

Florida, Texas, California and similar states have no excuses for what’s happening now.  They saw what happened in NY, and are STILL not doing what NY did.

These southern states have some advantages.  Lower density, many in the population are scared and are staying home,  many wear masks, it’s humid, we know more about the virus now, and there is a supply of remdesivir (which has some benefit)

Deapite all those advantages, their situations are deteriorating to a point where many cities could possibly have similar per capita death rates. 
I don’t know what’s so hard for people to understand about any of this. 

Sand said:
Interesting article here about the possible issues with distribution of vaccine.  I can see a huge amount of politicization and screaming at each other over who gets theirs first when and if a vaccine is produced.  There had to be an order, though.  I just hope it's something sane.  Those with immune conditions (chemo, etc.), Medical workers, and the elderly should be first.  Then probably the working populace, and then the rest.  

But I expect a huge amount of blowback on whatever scheme is used.  Nothing like a crisis to use for advantage.
Pretty sure we've already seen the template, no? 

1. NBA players

2. Hollywood Royalty

3. politicians

4. All the non-NBA pro players

5. Those that can pay for it and jump the line

6. Severe Cases

7. Symptomatic nobodies

8 Healthy nobodies

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be interesting to watch. Our family doctor said he would advise our family against considering the vaccine as it takes a much longer time to determine a vaccine is safe than what will happen with this as well as not being in the high risk category. Given the opportunity I would pass on the vaccine I think based on this as well as knowing I could be taking the opportunity away from a high risk person. 
If its like the flu vaccine it won't do #### anyway

Yeah.... not a chance in hell i take a vaccine that they come up with in a matter of months much less my kids. Not going to happen. 

Aren’t several rounds of the vaccine trials meant to address safety before they even do the trials for efficacy? If a vaccine is proven safe and effective through trials, people aren’t willing, or even eager, to get vaccinated?

I asked a group of moms about getting vaccinated. They basically all said hell no. This appears to be a fairly widely held attitude that is somewhat curious.

When they developed the polio vaccine, were people like “heck no!” back then? I didn’t recall hearing/reading about that part of how it went.

They watch the people go home four or more days before they show a symptom. It isn't Disney that will suffer. It's every city that has idiots traveling to Disney that will suffer.
I don’t know. Imagine that first article about a superspreader event at Disney. Their PR people must be awake at night waiting for that. Gotta be a matter of when not if. 

Aren’t several rounds of the vaccine trials meant to address safety before they even do the trials for efficacy? If a vaccine is proven safe and effective through trials, people aren’t willing, or even eager, to get vaccinated?

I asked a group of moms about getting vaccinated. They basically all said hell no. This appears to be a fairly widely held attitude that is somewhat curious.

When they developed the polio vaccine, were people like “heck no!” back then? I didn’t recall hearing/reading about that part of how it went.
AFAIK the quickest a vaccine has been created was four years and though there was already some groundwork done on the research from the first SARS outbreak they are rushing the trials. 

I'm not 100% sure where I stand but do have some reservations about the speed in which they're testing these. 

Point is,  it takes years to test correctly.... that's not going to happen. You aren't going to convince me that they are going to be able to do proper testing in a fraction of the time it normally takes. 

It's not just that; it's depressing as all hell.  
I get that. 

Personally, months ago I accepted the possibility that this would be our new normal for a couple of years. Instead of thinking about how this sucks or how I wish we could go on vacation, I've spent my time figuring out how to make the best of it. We've bought more board games, started learning DnD, reading Harry Potter as a family, etc. I think we've actually become much closer as a family during this because we've chosen to focus on what we can do instead of what we're missing. 

I get that. 

Personally, months ago I accepted the possibility that this would be our new normal for a couple of years. Instead of thinking about how this sucks or how I wish we could go on vacation, I've spent my time figuring out how to make the best of it. We've bought more board games, started learning DnD, reading Harry Potter as a family, etc. I think we've actually become much closer as a family during this because we've chosen to focus on what we can do instead of what we're missing. 
Same here.  Still it's such a change.  Kids at some ages aren't meant to do it. They are supposed to be out getting into trouble and socializing.  I feel horrible for only children.  

It's not just that; it's depressing as all hell.  
This thing is absolutely the worst thing I can ever recall. It sucks, and we’re not handling it well as a country.

The U.S. has largely been spared pandemics. Masks and crazy viruses were always things far away that other countries deal with.

The U.S. isn’t set up well for this. A huge country in both land mass and in population. Extremely heterogeneous in nature. Vast divides culturally between urban, suburban and rural settings.

It’s not our fault. But we have to buckle down and do better than this, as a country, together. First it was a “NY” problem. Now it’s a “Florida, Texas and Arizona” problem. That’s bull. It’s all of our problem and we need to show some togetherness to get through this. Common goals, common rewards. Schools and sports, for example.

It’s depressing but we have to get in this together. And drop the blame game, and the finger pointing. Let’s do this.

Same here.  Still it's such a change.  Kids at some ages aren't meant to do it. They are supposed to be out getting into trouble and socializing.  I feel horrible for only children.  
Yeah that's probably the hardest part for us besides not being able (or willing) to travel. We've done a lot of zoom with classmates and grandparents, minecraft online with classmates, more walks and bike rides, etc. Obviously nowhere near the same but it's the best we could come up with. 

:(

this is why we've been a lot looser in restrictions with our son. 

This thing is absolutely the worst thing I can ever recall. It sucks, and we’re not handling it well as a country.

The U.S. has largely been spared pandemics. Masks and crazy viruses were always things far away that other countries deal with.

The U.S. isn’t set up well for this. A huge country in both land mass and in population. Extremely heterogeneous in nature. Vast divides culturally between urban, suburban and rural settings.

It’s not our fault. But we have to buckle down and do better than this, as a country, together. First it was a “NY” problem. Now it’s a “Florida, Texas and Arizona” problem. That’s bull. It’s all of our problem and we need to show some togetherness to get through this. Common goals, common rewards. Schools and sports, for example.

It’s depressing but we have to get in this together. And drop the blame game, and the finger pointing. Let’s do this.
after 9/11, this country was together.  you knew it wouldn’t last, it never does, but you figure this would’ve had the same effects.  honestly, this country couldn’t be more separated and apart.....in all aspects.  we can argue all we want about how we got here, but jeez, we could really use a voice that brings everyone together to fight this as a country.  not 50 different fights, not subsets.  this is why we are failing and will continue to fail.  i really think the more this has isolated us, the more it’s made everyone out for themselves.  keep your head down, don’t say anything to anyone, mind your own business.

So tell me...what's your guys' opinions on Americans wearing masks?

I think they should be mandatory in grocery stores, Walmart stores etc

I think they should be mandatory for food preparers, servers etc too

Wear one or stay the f home
Wife and I had this discussion on our walk today. She mentioned going to the gym and being forced to wear the mask in the "lobby" (basically the entryway) but nowhere else. People are hanging out in the gym, chatting away with others most likely not in their household, while working out - sweating, breathing heavy, etc. She was in the outside part, maintaining distance and spraying down the equipment. I'll only swim there right now. 

She mentioned that while in Walmart, she noticed at least 10% of the people not wearing masks. When I went to Walmart, academy sports, and the local music store, everyone I saw was wearing one. 

Stores are required to post a sign requiring their wear. But that's still not readily enforced sometimes. 

I'd like to see signs posted at the stores showing the percentage of wearers. If you care enough to use a mask, you'll probably avoid stores who don't enforce it. If you're a "freedom fighter" and want to not wear one, you have the right to use stores who don't care about their customers. I'd assume most stores would enforce better if there was accountability.

Went to Target today and every customer was wearing a mask. 

Strangely enough the only two people I saw not wearing one were a couple of employees.  The first was a young (and attractive) female walking through the store, and another younger female entering the store on my way out.

I am all about exercising one's rights but man, it's a piece of cloth over our noses/mouths.  Wear it for a few months when you're out in public and see what happens.  Gosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my doctor a note about my shock that one person in the entire office was wearing a mask besides me.  He sent me a long winded first note, then sent a second note saying he talked about it with his nurse practitioner and they are all wearing masks from now unless a patient specifically requests he doesn’t.

Hypothetical

A friend is in your house, when they decide to tell you they are against masks.  They proceed to remove their mask and you demand they put it back on or get out.  They refuse to do either, so you call law enforcement, who say they ain't coming for such a trivial thing.  What do you do? 

Hypothetical

A friend is in your house, when they decide to tell you they are against masks.  They proceed to remove their mask and you demand they put it back on or get out.  They refuse to do either, so you call law enforcement, who say they ain't coming for such a trivial thing.  What do you do? 
Too easy, shoot them - 'Murica

Hypothetical

Serious answer, this should all be discussed and hashed out in advance

If friends, family, neighbors etc. have different fundamental views regarding wearing masks, social distancing etc., maybe you shouldn't congregate together for the immediate future

If friends, family, neighbors etc. have different fundamental views regarding wearing masks, social distancing etc., maybe you shouldn't congregate together for the immediate future
I was actually on a different train of thought.  I was starting with a house, but was working towards a place like a grocery store.  Does the store have the right to physically deny access to someone not wearing a mask?  For example, can a grocery store hire a bouncer?

Users who are viewing this thread