What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

Wait, you got tested because you were near a random person not wearing a mask?
No, I share a poorly ventilated office with a confirmed positive, including an area where people eat. Although I wear a mask the vast majority of the time and practice social distancing, I work in a healthcare setting with direct patient care responsibilities. And my mother-in-law, for whom my wife acts as a caregiver, just started chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.

While not as critical as professional athletes, I hope you can understand why testing me after an exposure makes sense.

Gotcha.  I'm surprised that a single test is considered sufficient.  What if you were one of those folks who doesn't develop symptoms until, say, Day 9 post-exposure.  If you were tested on Day 3, what are the chances that you may not have developed a significant viral burden yet?
Unclear, but current guidelines don’t mandate retesting unless I develop symptoms.

No, I share a poorly ventilated office with a confirmed positive, including an area where people eat. Although I wear a mask the vast majority of the time and practice social distancing, I work in a healthcare setting with direct patient care responsibilities. And my mother-in-law, for whom my wife acts as a caregiver, just started chemotherapy for pancreatic cancer.

While not as critical as professional athletes, I hope you can understand why testing me after an exposure makes sense.
Confirmed positive makes sense.  Not sure why you are bringing up professional athletes though.  Sorry to hear about your MIL.

Starting to see N95 masks for sale again in retailers. Lowes has a bunch in stock near me. Menards also has 2 packs of 3m for sale on their website(at least today they do today last time they were available for less than a day.). 

Derek Lowe's Blog remains the most informative source of news on treatments and vaccines.  Must reading:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/08/18/encouraging-news-about-coronavirus-immunity

Masks now mandatory for students all day except eating or drinking statewide in Pa
I don't understand why the target keeps moving.  Nothing has changed with our situation since the kids went on summer break.  Over the last three months, schools developed their back to school plans only to stuff like this dropped on them a week before they go back.  I'm sure this will affect some parents decisions, both positively and negatively, on whether to send their children back in person leaving schools scrambling once again.

I don't understand why the target keeps moving.  Nothing has changed with our situation since the kids went on summer break.  Over the last three months, schools developed their back to school plans only to stuff like this dropped on them a week before they go back.  I'm sure this will affect some parents decisions, both positively and negatively, on whether to send their children back in person leaving schools scrambling once again.
Ours a few weeks ago gave the students the choice of on campus or all online.  Then last week changed it to 2 days a week in class and the rest online.  

The thought of sitting through six hours of online courses per day sounds about as nice as an icepick in the eye.  No way my kid will be able to hang with that on a day to day basis.

Ours a few weeks ago gave the students the choice of on campus or all online.  Then last week changed it to 2 days a week in class and the rest online.  

The thought of sitting through six hours of online courses per day sounds about as nice as an icepick in the eye.  No way my kid will be able to hang with that on a day to day basis.
I have been told by teachers and their spouses that this is just your failure. 

I don’t get it either. What a mess

Without trying to get political....there has been pressure to open schools no matter what, or face funding cuts, then teachers and teacher unions faught to not go back for fear of teacher safety, so there is pressure of all sides, it's a no win for schools imo

Without trying to get political....there has been pressure to open schools no matter what, or face funding cuts, then teachers and teacher unions faught to not go back for fear of teacher safety, so there is pressure of all sides, it's a no win for schools imo
And of course there is pressure because it is the best way for most kids to learn. 

The fact that the hardest hit area in our country is named "corona" definitely pokes the tiny bear in the back of my mind that represents this all being a huge amount of manipulation. 

Simple...politics.

#1. Face shields are useless*.

#2. Why do they say "face shield" across the forehead? 

*in places like grocery stores where i see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1. Face shields are useless*.

#2. Why do they say "face shield" across the forehead? 

*in places like grocery stores where i see them.
They’re not super helpful IMO, but some experts have advocated them:

Face shields offer a number of advantages. While medical masks have limited durability and little potential for reprocessing, face shields can be reused indefinitely and are easily cleaned with soap and water, or common household disinfectants. They are comfortable to wear, protect the portals of viral entry, and reduce the potential for autoinoculation by preventing the wearer from touching their face. People wearing medical masks often have to remove them to communicate with others around them; this is not necessary with face shields. The use of a face shield is also a reminder to maintain social distancing, but allows visibility of facial expressions and lip movements for speech perception.

Most important, face shields appear to significantly reduce the amount of inhalation exposure to influenza virus, another droplet-spread respiratory virus. In a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96% when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough.10 Even after 30 minutes, the protective effect exceeded 80% and face shields blocked 68% of small particle aerosols,10 which are not thought to be a dominant mode of transmission of SARS-CoV-2. When the study was repeated at the currently recommended physical distancing distance of 6 feet, face shields reduced inhaled virus by 92%,10 similar to distancing alone, which reinforces the importance of physical distancing in preventing viral respiratory infections. Of note, no studies have evaluated the effects or potential benefits of face shields on source control, ie, containing a sneeze or cough, when worn by asymptomatic or symptomatic infected persons. However, with efficacy ranges of 68% to 96% for a single face shield, it is likely that adding source control would only improve efficacy, and studies should be completed quickly to evaluate this.

Major policy recommendations should be evaluated using clinical studies. However, it is unlikely that a randomized trial of face shields could be completed in time to verify efficacy. No clinical trial has been conducted to assess the efficacy of widespread testing and contact tracing, but that approach is based on years of experience. Taken as a bundle, the effectiveness of adding face shields as a community intervention to the currently proposed containment strategies should be evaluated using existing mathematical models. The implicit goal of face shields alone or in combination with other interventions should be to interrupt transmission by reducing the R0 to less than 1.

Just so we're all clear, you know that's not real, right?  People don't actually have to wear the cone of shame.  Saw this going around Facebook yesterday and was shocked by the number of people who thought that was an actual photo. 
If you wear a mask you don't have to wear the cone.

However if you want to wear a face shield, you do have to wear one that attaches at collar. I thought it was completely made up at first, but googled just to be sure.Maine public radio story

Most of the updates are just a few additions or clarifications to previously released checklists.

For example, front-of-house staff in restaurants who choose to wear face shields must now wear them upside down so that they are attached at the collar instead of the forehead, so that their breath is directed up, not down.

Did she get away with Jack Links jerky, batteries, and cheap flashlights?  :lol:
Saw that she took a leaf blower and a dehumidifier.  Master thief, here.

Shockingly enough the police didn't have any problems finding her - she was filed by about 12 people including the automated cameras at the door.  I am equally surprised to find that she has a case pending for drug possession with paraphernalia.

Right, those exist, e.g. https://aworkstation.com/zshield-flex-a-face-shield-designed-for-service-workers/.  People aren't actually wearing dog cones.  
I prefer the other innovation. I mean what if she is talking to one person on the left and then doesnt turn her body to talk to somebody on the right? Better to go full 360 to be safe. Plus flipping it down to talk on the phone would just be like pouring out a pitcher of virus. 

Also better to get this done first so you can see over the cone when putting dishes down on tables.  

Just found out my dad has the virus.  He started feeling bad Saturday.  Low grade fever and 'heavy' chest.  Not too bad overall symptoms.  He's fairly healthy overall for his age (66). 

We were together at an outdoor funeral two weeks ago and while my wife and I wore a masks the whole time, my mom and dad did not.  Mom has no symptoms at this time.

I saw him briefly for less than 5 minutes last Wednesday (outside but no masks, didn't know he was stopping by).  Ugh.  

Just found out my dad has the virus.  He started feeling bad Saturday.  Low grade fever and 'heavy' chest.  Not too bad overall symptoms.  He's fairly healthy overall for his age (66). 

We were together at an outdoor funeral two weeks ago and while my wife and I wore a masks the whole time, my mom and dad did not.  Mom has no symptoms at this time.

I saw him briefly for less than 5 minutes last Wednesday (outside but no masks, didn't know he was stopping by).  Ugh.  
Hopefully he's doing well.

Not a doctor here, but if was a week ago and you were outside, you should be in the clear if you go a few more days with no symptoms. Unless you got a completely asymptomatic case, of course.

Have you considered getting tested yourself?

Wife and I are at pulmonologist with her dad for his 6 month appt.  Halfway here he tells us he thinks he had corona 2 weeks ago.  All of his card playing friends had it.  She just text from room and said he just said that his nephew that he lives with had it too.  He is 77 with severe COPD.  If he had it I cant believe he is alive.  It's great that he waited to tell us halfway into the drive.  Now we have to drive 30 minutes back with him.  We have to take a covid test in 2 weeks for our vacation to St. Lucia.  If he screws that up my wife will be done with him.

Hopefully he's doing well.

Not a doctor here, but if was a week ago and you were outside, you should be in the clear if you go a few more days with no symptoms. Unless you got a completely asymptomatic case, of course.

Have you considered getting tested yourself?
I'm thinking about getting tested but only if I have symptoms.  My mom's test came back negative.  Mom seems to think Dad is already starting to feel better and he only started showing symptoms on Saturday.

Take it fwiw but my wife and I realized today we had never discussed what we would do if one of us was positive. So we put together an exact plan. Living arrangements, food, etc. 

Seemed like a good thing to plan now. 

Wife and I are at pulmonologist with her dad for his 6 month appt.  Halfway here he tells us he thinks he had corona 2 weeks ago.  All of his card playing friends had it.  She just text from room and said he just said that his nephew that he lives with had it too.  He is 77 with severe COPD.  If he had it I cant believe he is alive.  It's great that he waited to tell us halfway into the drive.  Now we have to drive 30 minutes back with him.  We have to take a covid test in 2 weeks for our vacation to St. Lucia.  If he screws that up my wife will be done with him.
How would you know if you got it from him?

The people getting sick and not getting sick seems to really have no logical connection. I think eventually they will figure out who/why and that will be how it is stopped. My wife is immunocompromised and works in a hospital. Medical people in general seem to think they are immune to everything from what I can see but she is being a lot more careful than she used to be. That being said, a doctor she works with got it and he was in amazing shape. Works in the same general area as her, said he was being careful, mask..social distancing...no trips, etc. He has had some lingering effects too. My wife on the other hand, has been completely clear so far. It is just crazy. 

Seeing all of these people at huge get togethers and college parties is beyond frustrating though. People make some really strange decisions. 

matuski said:
How would you know if you got it from him?
We have been taking a lot of precautions since this all started in March.  If we get it in the next 2 weeks it would have been from him.

parasaurolophus said:
If you wear a mask you don't have to wear the cone.

However if you want to wear a face shield, you do have to wear one that attaches at collar. I thought it was completely made up at first, but googled just to be sure.Maine public radio story
This is seemingly insane... because Gravity

I tend to favor the risk models that are Age + BMI for admission criteria, and treatment plans.

Some of them are like

Age + BMI > 100 is high risk

or, more aggressively

Age/2 + BMIx2 > 100 is high risk

Seems realistic and easy.  Things like this could guide schools/workplaces for keeping people home long term.

I tend to favor the risk models that are Age + BMI for admission criteria, and treatment plans.

Some of them are like

Age + BMI > 100 is high risk

or, more aggressively

Age/2 + BMIx2 > 100 is high risk

Seems realistic and easy.  Things like this could guide schools/workplaces for keeping people home long term.
Is it possible to have a 54 BMI?  If I did, I’d be more worried about a heart attack than Corona.

The numbers continue to decline in South Florida, where the positivity rate is down to ~10% in Dade and ~7% in Broward. Hospitalizations and deaths also down.

If the trend continues, Broward and Dade could open up more in 1 to 2 months, including schools.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/08/20/coronavirus-florida-passes-10000-resident-deaths-from-covid-19/

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1296115359460794370
Yeah, I'm really hoping we've seen the worst of it.  Of course, school starts here in Central Florida on Monday for most.  My kids start the following week.  I've read that only 30ish % of the people here in our county are doing "in person" so that's good.  It's insane to require a full staff of teachers for 30%, but the school told us that's what was required.  Don't know if that's true or not.

Yeah, I'm really hoping we've seen the worst of it.  Of course, school starts here in Central Florida on Monday for most.  My kids start the following week.  I've read that only 30ish % of the people here in our county are doing "in person" so that's good.  It's insane to require a full staff of teachers for 30%, but the school told us that's what was required.  Don't know if that's true or not.
If anything, they'll need more teachers rather than less. I know a lot of my son's school's classes will have two teachers** per class in most, if not all classes.

It's because all the in-person classes are also doubling as Zoom classes. There are a few ways the two-teachers-per-class set-up can work. One way is for one teacher to be kind of the Zoom-meeting administrator and handle the tech stuff (camera, laptop, answering online Zoom questions, etc) in class while the other teacher presents lessons to everyone (those in class and those at home). Another way is similar, except that the two teachers teach to the two segments (in-class and at-home) simultaneously and then switch off every so often.

** Well, sometimes it will probably be a teacher and a teacher's aide together. A state-certified teacher can be assisted by an uncertified teacher's aide.

If anything, they'll need more teachers rather than less. I know a lot of my son's school's classes will have two teachers** per class in most, if not all classes.

It's because all the in-person classes are also doubling as Zoom classes. There are a few ways the two-teachers-per-class set-up can work. One way is for one teacher to be kind of the Zoom-meeting administrator and handle the tech stuff (camera, laptop, answering online Zoom questions, etc) in class while the other teacher presents lessons to everyone (those in class and those at home). Another way is similar, except that the two teachers teach to the two segments (in-class and at-home) simultaneously and then switch off every so often.

** Well, sometimes it will probably be a teacher and a teacher's aide together. A state-certified teacher can be assisted by an uncertified teacher's aide.
Agreed that more teachers and staff are needed, not less. It's counter-intuitive, but when working through the logistics it becomes apparent. 

On net we do...we have almost double with half of them working with 30% and the other half with 70%.  It's madness.

Is it possible to have a 54 BMI?  If I did, I’d be more worried about a heart attack than Corona.
In previously accepted medical designation, that was known as super obese. BMI > 60 was super-super obese. But, that terminology was felt to be stigmatizing, so it is no longer used.

There’s a guy in our hospital who weighs 985 pounds. His BMI is greater than 100.

Users who are viewing this thread