What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

Agreed. Their deaths per million number hasn't really moved since June. They've admitted their approach right out of the gate was faulty. However, they've had the lighter restrictions for basically 6 months now and it's been fine. 

Cases are rising again, true. Obviously there is some seasonality involved here. Hopefully it won't become a massive issue. Perhaps they'll make localized changes if the data merits, but doesn't the 5 month stretch of good data prove, at least to some degree, they were correct in not enacting draconian measures?
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Sweden's neighboring countries also relaxed restrictions significantly when the numbers were low.  So it's not as if they remained locked down this entire time in order to achieve those same numbers over the last few months.  If they had, then I could maybe understand there being a trade-off. 

Rheumatoid arthritis drug as covid treatment

The list of drugs shown effective for treating COVID-19 got longer Tuesday, even as another well-used drug lost some of its luster.

In a large clinical study, tocilizumab, an immune modulator long used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, showed it can save lives if given to critically ill COVID-19 patients within the first two days of being admitted to an intensive care unit. 

The study, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, showed just over 27% of ICU patients treated with tocilizumab died within a month, compared with 37% of those just as seriously ill but did not receive the drug. 

Tocilizumab, a so-called monoclonal antibody, has been used during the outbreak because of its effect on tamping down immune over-reactions, which have been common with COVID-19. Smaller studies, including one published at the same time by the same journal have shown mixed results, with some finding the drug did not reduce deaths.

Refrigerator trucks as pop up morgues are depressing and sad, but they are after the fact. As far as rationing care, I didn't see many credible reports on that, at least as far as 'John Doe would probably have made it if we'd had the necessary care for him'. And since we've been inundated with anecdotal stories about people who were young and vital succumbing to the virus, I'm sure we'd have heard more about them if they in fact had happened in a significant way.

I mean, just this week didn't Cuomo himself say NY hospitals were never overwhelmed?
Of course hospitals were overwhelmed, and politicians have incentive to downplay it. While rationing of care may not be completely obvious, I guarantee it has happened in subtle ways, like framing conversations about escalating care in terms that convince people not to pursue measures that would otherwise be performed. And hard hit areas were forced to implement policies like these:

Professional society guidelines2 and some states’ recommendations exclude from access to ICUs large groups of patients with certain comorbid conditions, such as class III or IV heart failure, severe chronic lung disease, end-stage renal disease, and severe cognitive impairment.2,3 These exclusions are not explicitly justified, and they are ethically flawed because the criteria for exclusion (long-term prognosis and functional status) are selectively applied to only some types of patients, rather than to all patients being considered for critical care.
 If you think mortality has gone down only because of treatment advances, you're fooling yourself. Although I haven't seen a study of covid mortality in relation to hospital census, I bet it goes up dramatically after a certain number of patients are hospitalized, and that number is far below 100% bed/ICU/ventilator capacity. Why? Covid patients are labor intensive, and counting a covid bed like any other underestimates the time and person power devoted to their care. When healthcare workers are overworked, they make mistakes and care is compromised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Sweden's neighboring countries also relaxed restrictions significantly when the numbers were low.  So it's not as if they remained locked down this entire time in order to achieve those same numbers over the last few months.  If they had, then I could maybe understand there being a trade-off. 
Countries across the EU have had varying levels of restrictions since March, no question. And I'm sure neighbors eased things after the numbers went down, of course they did. But, Sweden relaxed them first, and in fact didn't enact many of those same restrictions at all.

I simply don't understand when it's argued that 'Sweden is doing terribly'. They aren't. I'll agree they did terribly in the initial phase, because they didn't protect care homes, etc. Perhaps they didn't forsee just how massive this would be, much like NYC, who knows? Tegnell and others have admitted they made mistakes early on. But, I don't see how it's productive to say their method is wrong. You can't amend what has already happened, and the fact is throughout May, June, even July critics were saying they were headed for a new sh!tshow that simply never materialized. 

Things could change going forward, but I don't see how any person could say with a straight face the authorities in Sweden should have done anything different from mid-April through September. That's 5-6 mos of time their populace carried on in a less restrictive manner, and if they feel they have to enact harsher restrictions through the winter months, they are likely in a better position to do so.

Why can’t we emulate places that are actually doing a good job instead - Australia, S Korea, Japan, etc.? Since when did Sweden become a model for our behavior?
It's fairly obvious why people would not want to compare to places that only have less than 5% of our death totals per capita

So another record-setting bad day worldwide on Covid worldometers.  New cases at a new high of 437,000 with now 49 countries with over 1,000 new cases (also a new high for # of countries ...it's widespread).  Deaths somewhat higher today at 6,855 with the U.S. leading the way.  What worries me is the number of European countries (nine) that are now in the top fifteen for new cases.  

The chart @Terminalxylem posted, showing that deaths are now back to normal trend lines, is encouraging.  However, these growing numbers (and the overall lag in reporting) could change that picture.  Let's hope not.  But ..winter is coming.

It's fairly obvious why people would not want to compare to places that only have less than 5% of our death totals per capita
I look at Sweden as a viable comparison because I'm interested in what needs to be down now for the best path forward. Obviously N. Zealand, Australia, Japan, etc have better aggregate numbers. They did things right from the get go. But they aren't useful to compare to the U.S. because we have huge spread already, and they do not. 

Look at our total deaths, including deaths in excess of the average year. There’s a lot of extra deaths coinciding with covid’s early wave, but now we’ve settled pretty close to the expected curve (actually below it for the week ending October 3). Why? We’re doing a lot better treating covid, so less covid peeps are dying, and all the concerns about people dying from deferred healthcare appear overblown thus far.
That's interesting. I've read that delayed cancer diagnoses and treatments are a global problem, perphaps that's not true.

Question: to what do we attribute the greatest increases in excess deaths in the 25-44 age range? Per the CDC, that cohort has the largest increase.

So now apparently the wedding of my wife's cousin is actually 200 people.  Inside.  At a church with the "long" catholic mass, which includes communion.  The church holds 900 apparently.  I still think this is a high risk  event, because of how many people, some who won't be wearing masks the whole time, some who are coming in from college, people traveling from different areas, etc.

So now apparently the wedding of my wife's cousin is actually 200 people.  Inside.  At a church with the "long" catholic mass, which includes communion.  The church holds 900 apparently.  I still think this is a high risk  event, because of how many people, some who won't be wearing masks the whole time, some who are coming in from college, people traveling from different areas, etc.
That would be a big no-go for me. My wife would be pissed, but to be fair, that is her usual state when it comes to my opinion.

That would be a big no-go for me. My wife would be pissed, but to be fair, that is her usual state when it comes to my opinion.
My wife isn't going, but her mom is.  The wedding is this Saturday, and my son's bday is exactly 2-weeks after.  Should I not allow her to come for the bday?  My parents (both over 70) were going to drive 5 hours to see us and I don't want to risk their health at all -- they have been careful.

That's interesting. I've read that delayed cancer diagnoses and treatments are a global problem, perphaps that's not true.

Question: to what do we attribute the greatest increases in excess deaths in the 25-44 age range? Per the CDC, that cohort has the largest increase.
Mostly covid, plus some suicides and drug/alcohol OD. And probably a little cardiovascular disease. No reason to believe a big uptick in cancer deaths in that age group, and accidents are probably down during the pandemic.

To be fair, cancer deaths due to delayed screening/diagnosis will probably take years to fully appreciate.

Mostly covid, plus some suicides and drug/alcohol OD. And probably a little cardiovascular disease. No reason to believe a big uptick in cancer deaths in that age group, and accidents are probably down during the pandemic.

To be fair, cancer deaths due to delayed screening/diagnosis will probably take years to fully appreciate.
Thank you, makes sense.

My wife isn't going, but her mom is.  The wedding is this Saturday, and my son's bday is exactly 2-weeks after.  Should I not allow her to come for the bday?  My parents (both over 70) were going to drive 5 hours to see us and I don't want to risk their health at all -- they have been careful.

Really sorry to hear she's going to the wedding. 

Interesting fact from my wife's hospital.  They've been working with covid patients since March.  None of her coworkers have become infected at work.  One got it at a funeral earlier this summer (no masks).  Last week, 15 nurses got it from a wedding they attended together - masks weren't allowed.  Yes, 15 nurses  who treat dying covid patients on a daily basis went to a no mask wedding and got the covid.  I wish people would really think about that.  Working daily with covid with appropriate PPE = no infections in months.  One stupid wedding with no masks = 15 infections.  

Interesting fact from my wife's hospital.  They've been working with covid patients since March.  None of her coworkers have become infected at work.  One got it at a funeral earlier this summer (no masks).  Last week, 15 nurses got it from a wedding they attended together - masks weren't allowed.  Yes, 15 nurses  who treat dying covid patients on a daily basis went to a no mask wedding and got the covid.  I wish people would really think about that.  Working daily with covid with appropriate PPE = no infections in months.  One stupid wedding with no masks = 15 infections.  
Imagine the selfishness required to not encourage mask use at a wedding.  Now imagine the selfishness required to forbid mask use at a wedding.

Imagine the selfishness required to not encourage mask use at a wedding.  Now imagine the selfishness required to forbid mask use at a wedding.
At least in the wedding I am referring to they are saying guests will wear masks and have a pew in-between (not sure how many people per pew).  The wedding party is together all day though without masks and without them during the ceremony.  There also will be no masks during pictures.

Covid would be the single greatest increase, but less than the majority. In the 25-34 group, I bet murder is not very far behind covid.  

Really sorry to hear she's going to the wedding. 

Remember the nurse that helped bartend at her sister's bar the night bars opened back up in WI and even gave a TV interview? The huge outbreak in Men. Falls (over 40 party guests, luckily I think less than 15 secondary infections) was from a nurse that went to a graduation party and wasn't wearing mask.

Was that wedding in WI too? 

We just saw our highest daily total of new cases and multiple new deaths yesterday in my county here in Colorado. It has been steadily on the increase for two weeks or more. This is just getting out of control again. I don't know how people will react if we go back to a Safer at Home designation that we had back in the beginning of this mess, but the Governor and Mayor are both hinting at it.  

However, I am back to how I was at the beginning of this thread. Today--Large Walmart/Sams on-line order just placed with three to four weeks of meals planned. (Weird observation--the hardest item to find over the past few weeks has been K-Cups--they are sold out in stores)  Extra meds/prescriptions all filled. Big liquor order in. I want to stay ahead of the curve like my family was at the start of this, because there will be chaos in the stores again if my city gets set back here. 

Winter is coming for sure..... 

Remember the nurse that helped bartend at her sister's bar the night bars opened back up in WI and even gave a TV interview? The huge outbreak in Men. Falls (over 40 party guests, luckily I think less than 15 secondary infections) was from a nurse that went to a graduation party and wasn't wearing mask.

bingo

bingo
I swear we just don't care here in WI. Every morning the Maxim's parking lot on capitol drive is packed. Average age of the crowd in there historically is about 97.

We just saw our highest daily total of new cases and multiple new deaths yesterday in my county here in Colorado. It has been steadily on the increase for two weeks or more. This is just getting out of control again. I don't know how people will react if we go back to a Safer at Home designation that we had back in the beginning of this mess, but the Governor and Mayor are both hinting at it.  

However, I am back to how I was at the beginning of this thread. Today--Large Walmart/Sams on-line order just placed with three to four weeks of meals planned. (Weird observation--the hardest item to find over the past few weeks has been K-Cups--they are sold out in stores)  Extra meds/prescriptions all filled. Big liquor order in. I want to stay ahead of the curve like my family was at the start of this, because there will be chaos in the stores again if my city gets set back here. 

Winter is coming for sure..... 
I'm right there with you. Lockdowns feel imminent at this point and my family has begun stocking up accordingly. What an awful feeling as we head into a MN winter.

here in BC 
we have been setting daily records in the last week 
274 was today's record , wedding and other social events are the main sources 
ontario had 841 today 
i know ontario has clamped down again and i think BC is headed that way soon
Canada was removed from the EU list of safe countries to enter without quarantining 
Canada stats 
canada  population 37.59 M
209 k cases + 2669
176 K recovered 
9862 deaths + 35 

Dammit!  Another record setting day, per Covid worldometers.  A jump to 478,000 new cases.  This is a 50% increase in just two weeks.  The U.S. again leads the way with over 74,000 new cases.  New cases exploding again in Europe (France third today with over 40,000 cases).  Deaths were over 6,400 today, with the U.S. again at the top with almost 1,000 cases.  

tri-man 47 said:
Dammit!  Another record setting day, per Covid worldometers.  A jump to 478,000 new cases.  This is a 50% increase in just two weeks.  The U.S. again leads the way with over 74,000 new cases.  New cases exploding again in Europe (France third today with over 40,000 cases).  Deaths were over 6,400 today, with the U.S. again at the top with almost 1,000 cases.  
Extrapolate France's cases to US population, and france would have 200k cases in a day!  More than double our worst day.  So while we lead the way in totals, France just crushed us in todays cases per million! 

Covid would be the single greatest increase, but less than the majority. In the 25-34 group, I bet murder is not very far behind covid.  
Murders are certainly up (~15%  in the first 6 most of 2020 per the FBI), and that age group is disproportionately impacted by them. But if you look at the weekly deaths grouped by age , it looks like the curve has gone up and down commensurate with improvements covid mortality. 

This is one horrible alias account.
I don't know who you think I am, but I'm not.

My county was 37% positive the last two weeks. The local hospital has all it's ventilators in use and is at 96% capacity. Covid patients are being given IVs at home because there's not room for them. My tolerance for front line workers (or anyone) acting ignorantly is extremely low right now.

Murders are certainly up (~15%  in the first 6 most of 2020 per the FBI), and that age group is disproportionately impacted by them. But if you look at the weekly deaths grouped by age , it looks like the curve has gone up and down commensurate with improvements covid mortality. 
Murders peak in summer too. 

Data from 27 major cities...

Homicide rates between June and August of 2020 increased by 53% over the same period in 2019

I ordered takeout from a local Chinese restaurant that we like today.  On the door, they had a sign posted saying “masks required when inside “.  Nobody was wearing a mask (including owner and employees).  Pathetic 

Is the sharp rise in cases just from people gathering in large groups together and disregarding directives?  Like if we go back to limiting the number of people that can gather together and limiting capacity inside of bars and restaurants can’t we get back to a low simmer?

Nobody in my immediate circle has started acting that differently in the last couple months but maybe people are just sick of it.

Is the sharp rise in cases just from people gathering in large groups together and disregarding directives?  Like if we go back to limiting the number of people that can gather together and limiting capacity inside of bars and restaurants can’t we get back to a low simmer?

Nobody in my immediate circle has started acting that differently in the last couple months but maybe people are just sick of it.
In many areas schools are back, sports are back for college and lower levels, churches are open, restaurants and bars are open - in many, many ways we are right back to pre-COVID in our behaviors.  We still don’t have mandatory mask usage and in some areas masks aren’t even worn by 50% of people.  We are being told we have to get back to normal - some crazily believe we have turned a corner.  We have collectively given up because we want our lives back.  I said several months ago that we have just accepted 1k deaths a day.  We are ok with it and we will continue to see if for the foreseeable future.  I just hope we don’t get to 1,500 or 2,000 a day.

tri-man 47 said:
And today it moves to just shy of 490,000 and another 6,500 deaths.  U.S. again easily leading the pack.  The world was so panicked early last spring ...but we didn't cross the threshold of 100,000 new cases/day until mid-May (though testing has certainly increased since then).

Right, wrong, or indifferent, with no clearly defined “finish line,” I think a lot of people have just resigned themselves to the “it is what it is” mentality. Healthy people with no co-morbidities simply aren’t willing to put their lives on hold indefinitely. The risk/reward favors just moving on with their lives. As a 43-yo marathon runner, if my wife wasn’t 31 weeks pregnant, I can’t in good faith say that I’d be any different. I’m more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the grocery store than I am to get seriously sick from Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread