What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

I haven’t kept up on this thread, so apologies if this was already posted. Fauci today outlines that the first vaccines will not prevent people from catching the virus. They will help prevent the symptoms that people get and make it easier to treat them. The vaccine won’t kill the virus. LINK

My question to the doctors in the house is whether that would require the same two weeks of quarantine if someone vaccinated caught it and could they still spread it? Along those lines, would others that were vaccinated be just as likely to still catch it as now? At that point it sounds like the hope is to limit the severity of symptoms when people get it. And if the vaccine doesn’t have the desired effect on some people then they will be in the same situation as now  
May not matter if more findings like this are verified:

https://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Study-finds-sharp-drop-in-COVID-19-antibodies-15679556.php

To your question, I'd assume yes.  It's my understanding that some of the science suggests we're most contagious/most likely to spread the virus 48ish hours before we show symptoms ourselves. If the vaccine isn't going to be training our bodies to fight the virus enough to keep it from taking hold, what IS it supposed to do then?

Not to knock personal responsibility at all but we have so much public policy that directly leads to widespread negative outcomes. We subsidize wheat, sugar and red meat. It's cheaper to buy a Mcdouble than a decent size tomato. Personal responsibility yes but lets clear the way with decent public policy. 

PS I've dropped about 25 lbs since the before times. 
Congratulations man! That's impressive, be the example  :thumbup:

And you're right, we promote all that as a country. Go try to eat healthy and watch how your weekly/monthly food skyrockets...not jumps but skyrockets. In suburban settings in particular. The more rural you get the better the produce and selection (IMO) but when your dependent on having it trucked in, you're at the mercy of the supply chain and you're going to pay through the nose for it. Our local Walmart (where a huge portion of the population shops) regularly puts out lettuce that is brown right out of the box. It's terrible the produce they put out as fresh that I would pitch before it got off the truck.

I haven’t kept up on this thread, so apologies if this was already posted. Fauci today outlines that the first vaccines will not prevent people from catching the virus. They will help prevent the symptoms that people get and make it easier to treat them. The vaccine won’t kill the virus. LINK

My question to the doctors in the house is whether that would require the same two weeks of quarantine if someone vaccinated caught it and could they still spread it? Along those lines, would others that were vaccinated be just as likely to still catch it as now? At that point it sounds like the hope is to limit the severity of symptoms when people get it. And if the vaccine doesn’t have the desired effect on some people then they will be in the same situation as now  
It takes the better parts of a decade to get a vaccine that prevents you from catching it.  I mean AFAIK they only got around to doing this for the 1969 flu in the mid-90s and that strain is largely credited for killing more people than any other flu in history.  Then it mutated and came back around and.  H1N1 is more or less what's remaining of the Spanish flu and still kills a lot of kids.  

This is looking more and more like an endemic flu, rather than a pandemic flu.  I'm sure someone is working on a virus that keeps you from catching it, but by the time that happens it will likely have mutated away from that.  

Begin thinking along the lines of this being a flu shot thing, annual or even ever 6 months.  The pharma companies will make fat $$$$.

Congratulations man! That's impressive, be the example  :thumbup:

And you're right, we promote all that as a country. Go try to eat healthy and watch how your weekly/monthly food skyrockets...not jumps but skyrockets. In suburban settings in particular. The more rural you get the better the produce and selection (IMO) but when your dependent on having it trucked in, you're at the mercy of the supply chain and you're going to pay through the nose for it. Our local Walmart (where a huge portion of the population shops) regularly puts out lettuce that is brown right out of the box. It's terrible the produce they put out as fresh that I would pitch before it got off the truck.
I was planting the garden during the lockdown period in late april early may. Kind of lost my mind. Had lots of homegrown stuff augmented by the weekly Saturday famers market trip. 

That and an ungodly amount of walking. It was two pronged in that it felt like one of the few things I had actual control of at the time. And the exercise/endorphins where sustaining during an amazingly stressful time. Averaged over 20,000 steps through like July, dialed it back down to 15,000-17,000 or so. Two three plus mile walks a day. I am my own neighborhood watch.  

I Do HR for 120 plus and 330 plus in the summer so I felt tremendous responsibility for the safety and welfare of people way beyond my immediate family. I have worked more exposure/covid positive scenarios than I can count at this point. Run a gym, art center, after school program, sports leagues, special events amongst other things and a large water park in the summer. Almost everyday something. Paid tens of thousands of dollars paid leave through the FFCRA. On the ropes but still throwing punches. Surprisingly few **** customers tho. So thats been nice.  

Not to knock personal responsibility at all but we have so much public policy that directly leads to widespread negative outcomes. We subsidize wheat, sugar and red meat. It's cheaper to buy a Mcdouble than a decent size tomato. Personal responsibility yes but lets clear the way with decent public policy. 

PS I've dropped about 25 lbs since the before times. 
Well said...and congrats on the weight loss.

I am also down...started eating better actually around Lent as I gave up liquor and chips...continued with almost no chips (enjoy a few here and there with salsa if we grab Mexican take out...but even then way less than I used to)  Lost a few pounds here and there and got back into running...slowly but surely building up my cardio shape

Then, almost 12 weeks ago entered a % weight loss contest with some friends...money on the line motivated me a bit more...down 21 lbs in 11+ weeks (contest ends this Sunday and my goal is to be down 23 and should easily take the competition).  Running way easier now, clothes fitting well...eating better.  My big issue pre-covid was grabbing whatever was most convenient and quick for lunch and breakfast.  Always ate pretty healthy for dinner.  Snacks at night were an issue too.  Now...have a pretty simple breakfast, smoothie or salad for lunch most days and take the time to make it...snacks limited to a little popcorn mostly.  Also keep goldfish crackers around...not the greatest for me, but I limit it to a little bowl of them and they seem to satisfy a salty craving and are filling enough really.

Well said...and congrats on the weight loss.

I am also down...started eating better actually around Lent as I gave up liquor and chips...continued with almost no chips (enjoy a few here and there with salsa if we grab Mexican take out...but even then way less than I used to)  Lost a few pounds here and there and got back into running...slowly but surely building up my cardio shape

Then, almost 12 weeks ago entered a % weight loss contest with some friends...money on the line motivated me a bit more...down 21 lbs in 11+ weeks (contest ends this Sunday and my goal is to be down 23 and should easily take the competition).  Running way easier now, clothes fitting well...eating better.  My big issue pre-covid was grabbing whatever was most convenient and quick for lunch and breakfast.  Always ate pretty healthy for dinner.  Snacks at night were an issue too.  Now...have a pretty simple breakfast, smoothie or salad for lunch most days and take the time to make it...snacks limited to a little popcorn mostly.  Also keep goldfish crackers around...not the greatest for me, but I limit it to a little bowl of them and they seem to satisfy a salty craving and are filling enough really.
I've always struggled losing weight because of social events.  I think the lack of social events is what has turned the tide for me and others as well.  I mean, if life is going to suck in 2020, might as well make something of it.  If I come out of the covid era in the best shape of my life, then that's at least one bright spot in an otherwise tough year.  Glad to see you and others are doing the same.  

I've always struggled losing weight because of social events.  I think the lack of social events is what has turned the tide for me and others as well.  I mean, if life is going to suck in 2020, might as well make something of it.  If I come out of the covid era in the best shape of my life, then that's at least one bright spot in an otherwise tough year.  Glad to see you and others are doing the same.  
Yeah I drink ALOT less now.  And social events and dining out, were the source of most of my alcohol as it was.  Taking those out has had a dramatic effect also.

Yeah...multiple things...have been wanting to and let a lot of things get in the way over the last 3-5 years (including my own depression and mental health...and ate and drank to "cope").  Said enough is enough and part of bettering my own mental health was getting out at first for an hour to run/walk or whatever was a part of that.  With everyone in the house all the time, that time for myself was great.  That turned into getting into better shape and now Im out for hour and a half to two hours most days.

The other reason was...figured if Im going to get this...being overweight, asthmatic, with HBP probably wasn't the best way to fight it...so get in better shape for a multitude of reasons to help as much as I can.  Definitely feel much better physically...mentally its helping but there are other underlying issues there Im still fighting.

Yeah I drink ALOT less now.  And social events and dining out, were the source of most of my alcohol as it was.  Taking those out has had a dramatic effect also.
I binge drink less.  I will say it that way.  I now enjoy more of a 2 glass of wine or bourbon night...or a couple beers.  Something like that 2-3 nights a week...rather than 2 nights of that and one out or socially drinking more than that. 

I binge drink less.  I will say it that way.  I now enjoy more of a 2 glass of wine or bourbon night...or a couple beers.  Something like that 2-3 nights a week...rather than 2 nights of that and one out or socially drinking more than that. 
Thanks for keeping the shelves stocked for me guys!

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54648684

Mother Nature is smart...sneaky, devious smart and I'm pretty sure she hates pretty much each and every one of us for what we've done to her planet but you're going to be hard pressed to convince me she engineered this beast all on her own without just a little help from man.
That's an interesting article. I still can't get over asymptomatic spread.  That's the whole deal with this virus being as bad as it is.  What a crappy bit of luck that has been.  

Received a positive test result today.  Been feeling like crap the last few days.  I assumed it was just this great Ohio weather going from 50 to 70 to 40 within 24 hours, but I guess not.  I didn't plan on getting tested.  I started having chest pains along with sore throat and headaches.  Wife was concerned and asked me to go to the doctor.  He immediately tested me and told me to assume I have it and to start quarantining.  Received the results this morning.  Less than a 48hr turn from test to results.  Luckily I already work remote, so I don't have to miss any time.  But I feel bad for my family.  All of them are now quarantined in the house with me.  The first day may not be bad, but with a family of 5, it won't take long for stir crazy to hit and fights to ensue.  Can't wait.

Received a positive test result today.  Been feeling like crap the last few days.  I assumed it was just this great Ohio weather going from 50 to 70 to 40 within 24 hours, but I guess not.  I didn't plan on getting tested.  I started having chest pains along with sore throat and headaches.  Wife was concerned and asked me to go to the doctor.  He immediately tested me and told me to assume I have it and to start quarantining.  Received the results this morning.  Less than a 48hr turn from test to results.  Luckily I already work remote, so I don't have to miss any time.  But I feel bad for my family.  All of them are now quarantined in the house with me.  The first day may not be bad, but with a family of 5, it won't take long for stir crazy to hit and fights to ensue.  Can't wait.
Well wa-#######-hoo  :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear man, hope it's quick and easy recovery and the family doesn't tear each other up too much. Go Browns?

Well wa-#######-hoo  :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear man, hope it's quick and easy recovery and the family doesn't tear each other up too much. Go Browns?
So far the Brows are the only good thing going right now.....as I sit here and watch the game from Sunday on NFLN.  

shader said:
France announces a national lockdown 
The rest of the world may be joining them soon ...

Per Covid worldometers, for the first time, worldwide cases have topped 500,000 (close to 502K).  52 countries (!) reported 1,000 cases or more.  That's, like, 25% of the world, for those keeping score at home.  Deaths climbed to more than 7,000.  The U.S. (80,000; 1,000) leads in today's cases and deaths. :kicksrock:   

Peak said:
GLLLLLLLL PEAS

I don’t know what a PSF troll is. Whatever it is, that doesn’t define me. Why do people become so insulting and angry when the official story is challenged? Don’t y’all want to know the truth?
Those of us that have buried friends or family have no interest in your conspiracy theories.   This isn't the place for it.   It's not funny, it's not welcome.   Please go peddle your wares in the PSF.   

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54648684

Mother Nature is smart...sneaky, devious smart and I'm pretty sure she hates pretty much each and every one of us for what we've done to her planet but you're going to be hard pressed to convince me she engineered this beast all on her own without just a little help from man.
Maybe I am not following your insinuation, so lemme ask some questions: to what do you attribute the other dozen pandemics that were FAR more deadly, infectious, and devastating.  Not to mention the likely dozens that were exactly like this one but failed to be recorded by history since they didn't rise the level of notable/recognizable relative to all the other horrific things that were happening at the time.  

Was it: the Chinese? Aliens? Bruce Willis time traveling? 

Occam's razor mean anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came in to post that.  This is just getting crazy bad.  
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that we shut everything down back in March when the pandemic was nowhere near as bad as it is now.  If you told me back then that we would be approaching 100K new cases per day, I would assume that obviously everything would get locked down*.  Instead we're just sort of stumbling along as if this is just fine.

* Yes, I know the causality is reversed here.  Part of the reason why we have so many new cases is because we're not locking anything down.  We can't even get people to wear masks, and we still have dumbasses who wander into this thread to spout insane conspiracy theories.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that we shut everything down back in March when the pandemic was nowhere near as bad as it is now.  If you told me back then that we would be approaching 100K new cases per day, I would assume that obviously everything would get locked down*.  Instead we're just sort of stumbling along as if this is just fine.

* Yes, I know the causality is reversed here.  Part of the reason why we have so many new cases is because we're not locking anything down.  We can't even get people to wear masks, and we still have dumbasses who wander into this thread to spout insane conspiracy theories.
I think in NY it was worse in March. Testing was so bad back then they had no idea how many people had it. Rest of country was mostly fine. Here we have 100k cases but spread everywhere. 

IvanKaramazov said:

I think there are a lot of factors here, but mostly it's just unfortunate that we have gotten to the point where I think way too many people believe that:  1. we actually did "lock down" to the best of our ability, and 2.  we are too far along now that we just have to live with these numbers and move on.   Both are very frustrating.  

IvanKaramazov said:

At this point I'm not really sure what outcome we are looking for to assess risk. It's clear this virus will be endemic at some point; another virus that seems to seasonal that we will have to live with like the others. It seems that the CFR being way lower now than March is a good thing? Not really sure anymore.

I continue to struggle to wrap my head around how people in health care can be so careless during this pandemic. This weekend one of my good friends went to a mutual friend’s wedding in eastern SD where the virus is spreading rapidly. He’s a pharmacist, she’s a nurse and the bride and groom are nurses as well. Much of the friends invited likely were in health care.

I saw some pictures of the ceremony which was outside and thought maybe they were being responsible. Then came the pictures of the indoor crowded reception. And then the pictures of the elderly relatives. No masks. No social distancing. Nothing different than a normal wedding. It’s frustrating enough seeing the general public doing it but seeing people who should know better is depressing.
Just morons. So so frustrating. If my businesses get shut down again because if this ####...

Yesterday Pueblo County, which is just south of me here in Colorado, announced they were putting in place a 10:00 pm to 5:00 am curfew. Predictably a large crowd of people, who said they were business owners, show up outside city hall to protest this. I guarantee 75% didn't have masks on and were out there yelling and making speeches with zero social distancing. People are stupid. 

I get that this has a personal impact to you and I don't mean to sound callous but all investments have risk, even (especially?) real estate.  

The government should step in to prevent the spread of a deadly virus. 

A total national quarantine is not a desirable outcome. 

Mandatory quarantines of people diagnosed (or still awaiting results) provide a disincentive for testing and for treatment, which costs lives and increases spread.

Self quarantines don't work if people stand to lose their jobs or homes. 

And... uh...protecting people's homes and jobs will cost money for investors.  

I'm not unsympathetic to people who choose to invest in real estate but if you asked me to rank these in order i would put landlords dead last without hesitation.  Especially considering that all investments have been getting hammered. Why should government policy protect landlords and mortgage companies, and not investors in oil or airlines or bitcoin?  
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-29/landlords-denied-injunction-against-cdc-eviction-moratorium

Just revisiting this conversation from way back before the lockdown in light of the above news.  Cdc wanted a moratorium on evictions. Landlords wanted an injunction. Courts sided with cdc because public health is higher priority than economic harm.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-29/landlords-denied-injunction-against-cdc-eviction-moratorium

Just revisiting this conversation from way back before the lockdown in light of the above news.  Cdc wanted a moratorium on evictions. Landlords wanted an injunction. Courts sided with cdc because public health is higher priority than economic harm.  
Total utter BS.  I've got one landlord where the tenant is now $15k behind.  They submitted their CDC paperwork claiming hardship yet have Facebook pictures posted form their vacation.  6 months was plenty of protection.  If the gov't wanted more then they should start sending rent checks to the landlords.  Maybe the CDC could issue a moratorium on real estate tax payments or repair payments.  Hopefully this case gets appealed.

100k confirmed cases in US today, 1k deaths. Geez. 
Yeah.  Worldwide, we've again hit a new high with over 573,000 cases.  It's scary, too, that the daily death numbers are moving up...today was almost 7,500 deaths.   The U.S. tops both lists.  The case count is just stunningly bad.

Today was a frustrating day with masks. The grocery store I work at is usually very good. For the last few months since the summer spike in Arizona, it’s just been the occasional person trying to get a reaction. Recently it’s become more frequent and the last couple days have been bad, especially today. Many people weren’t even pretending to try because they know employees won’t say anything.

The most disheartening moment was when a guy dressed in scrubs wasn’t wearing a mask. A group passed by him and immediately took their masks off and threw they on the ground in the middle of the grocery store because ‘if he doesn’t need it, I don’t need it.

This just feels different and a lot people just won’t comply even with cases rising again.

Today was a frustrating day with masks. The grocery store I work at is usually very good. For the last few months since the summer spike in Arizona, it’s just been the occasional person trying to get a reaction. Recently it’s become more frequent and the last couple days have been bad, especially today. Many people weren’t even pretending to try because they know employees won’t say anything.

The most disheartening moment was when a guy dressed in scrubs wasn’t wearing a mask. A group passed by him and immediately took their masks off and threw they on the ground in the middle of the grocery store because ‘if he doesn’t need it, I don’t need it.

This just feels different and a lot people just won’t comply even with cases rising again.
Ive noticed more and more people without them when I am out.

Going back to grocery pick up for most items...still don't trust them picking out fresh veggies or meat.

Crazy watching games on tv with fans in the stands and a large percentage aren’t even pretending to wear masks. And college football coaches barely pretending to wear them.

I was supposed to pick my daughter up at ASU to come home for the weekend. We have her test every time prior to coming home. She came up positive and is now in lock down at ASU. She has no symptoms and feels the test is wrong. She is in lock down for 10 days. She is telling me it's very prison like. She can't leave her room and food is delivered and left outside her door. She is pretty adamant about no symptoms and the test is wrong. It sounds like you can not retest out of a positive result. I am hoping she continues to do well and has no symptoms. I will admit to some nerves regarding this.

I forgot to add that my daughter is very responsible with all of the Covid rules. All of her classes have been zoom. She says she only goes to the student union for food and her dorm. She always wears a mask. She has no idea where she could have got it but, it only takes one mistake that she does not even realize she made.

Users who are viewing this thread