What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

I don’t get this. My daughter works at a retirement home and they just announced that the vaccine won’t be mandatory for workers and that they will be providing guidance/counseling for those that are unsure. I get not forcing people to do something against their will, but how can you continue to let them care for others if they choose not to?
Because who else would do it?

Yes. I read last night that in our area only 55% of the frontline healthcare workers were willing to take it. That was a shocking number to me, I figured 85-90% for those being faced with it daily. If that 55% is true than the general public number is going to be substantially lower. 
it's due to their age.  Many healthcare workers are younger women in their child bearing years who are concerned about how a fast tracked vaccine could impact that.  For them the side effects of the vaccine could be worse than Rona itself. I know a couple of nurses and this scares them.

My mind is simply incapable of grasping this.. These are the same nurses that we see on TV crying because they are so overworked and so emotional because they are seeing people pass away before their eyes. How can they then turn around and say "Yea, I'm not going to take that vaccine?" Unfathomable.
I honestly dont understand how people can be surprised by this. It is an industry that is used to seeing things move at the speed of molasses. 

They are used to every dumb question or variable possible being studied in these trials. 

That didnt happen here. 

I have already said I would take it in a heartbeat, but I would be lying if I didnt at least think there was a possibility of some long term immune system side effects. I am of the opinion that I still want the damn shot, the risk is low, and the only way to learn about any side effects is to have more people injected, so let me at it!

Hospitals already require employees to get the flu shot, so I don't see how this will be any different once the vaccine has become readily available.
My wife works at a university office building adjacent to a large hospital.  She has to get a flu shot each year, otherwise she cannot enter her building (offices + classrooms, no medical facilities).  I am certain that she will be obligated to get a COVID vax.

I don't see why other employers cannot handle this the same way.  "You want to come on campus and work in the office?  Get a vax.  If you don't want to get a vax, work from home." (and get crappy assignments and no career advancement, but that part won't be said)

My workplace HR when I directly asked how they will manage this, they said they are struggling with how to roll this out.  That making it seem mandatory might run sideways of labor laws.
I’ve read a few stories stating that employers are within their rights to require vaccination. I don’t think most will. Places like hospitals where it really should be mandatory need all the bodies they can find right now, so sending someone home for refusing the get the vaccine isn’t a great option now. Once it gets to the general public, I could see retailers like Costco and Target doing it, but right now I think we will see a lot of places strongly suggesting all employees get it.

it's due to their age.  Many healthcare workers are younger women in their child bearing years who are concerned about how a fast tracked vaccine could impact that.  For them the side effects of the vaccine could be worse than Rona itself. I know a couple of nurses and this scares them.
Interesting, hadn't heard that. Thanks. 

Yes. I read last night that in our area only 55% of the frontline healthcare workers were willing to take it. That was a shocking number to me, I figured 85-90% for those being faced with it daily. If that 55% is true than the general public number is going to be substantially lower. 
Have run into this many, many times in real life. People in the medical fields and especially medical employees removed from direct patient care (e.g. front-desk staff, but also way too many RNs) tend to think COVID-19 is overblown. New Orleans is a blue city, but most of the immediate suburbs are blood-red ... so maybe the overlaying political climate leads to this.

I honestly dont understand how people can be surprised by this. It is an industry that is used to seeing things move at the speed of molasses. 

They are used to every dumb question or variable possible being studied in these trials. 

That didnt happen here. 

I have already said I would take it in a heartbeat, but I would be lying if I didnt at least think there was a possibility of some long term immune system side effects. I am of the opinion that I still want the damn shot, the risk is low, and the only way to learn about any side effects is to have more people injected, so let me at it!
But they've seen the devastation of the virus first hand. That is definitely a known factor. I can see SOME not wanting it. But at the numbers being quoted above? It is definitely surprising to many of us, I guarantee.

Edit: After reading Doug's post above, if the numbers INCLUDE folks like back-office workers, etc., then that makes much more sense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is only certified for 3 months I don't how you can do this.
That’s because there is only 3 months of data right now. That will move as they receive more, but that is going to be a GD Facebook talking point as well. 
Exactly. People are reading "Only certified for 3 months!" as "At Day 91, all antibodies POOF! Vanish into thin air and your immune system forgets how to make more." The medical community, IMHO, is being too cautious with the messaging.

I don’t get this. My daughter works at a retirement home and they just announced that the vaccine won’t be mandatory for workers and that they will be providing guidance/counseling for those that are unsure. I get not forcing people to do something against their will, but how can you continue to let them care for others if they choose not to?
Same thing with my siter-in-law. She's a nurse at a nursing home. Not required. She is debating on whether the risk outweighs the rewards on getting it at the end of the month. I told her if she decides not to, bring it on home to me. I'll take it!

Have another nurse friend on facebook in same boat. She is debating. People are on there telling her that they heard it causes fertility issues. 

My mind is simply incapable of grasping this.. These are the same nurses that we see on TV crying because they are so overworked and so emotional because they are seeing people pass away before their eyes. How can they then turn around and say "Yea, I'm not going to take that vaccine?" Unfathomable.
It's not the same nurses. I would bet that in any overrun hospital, they don't have to look to hard for "crying nurses". But in any hospital that's less than overrun -- even if they're running at 95% capacity for weeks on end -- there are likely still a big chunk of RNs in denial mentally (or at least they won't acknowledge otherwise out loud).

[notaimedatpipes]

What were the trials for, then? Why do so many think there's all these secret side effects that are for sure going to be suddenly coming out of nowhere?

And yeah ... those poor souls who are essentially allergic to air and go into anaphylactic shock at the drop of a hat? And the few dozen worldwide who have reacted badly to the vaccine so far (if that many)? That ain't you, unless your allergist in on speed dial and you carry a half-dozen Epi-pens at all times.

[/notaimedatpipes]

Exactly. People are reading "Only certified for 3 months!" as "At Day 91, all antibodies POOF! Vanish into thin air and your immune system forgets how to make more." The medical community, IMHO, is being too cautious with the messaging.
WAY TOO CAUTIOUS 

Edit: After reading Doug's post above, if the numbers INCLUDE folks like back-office workers, etc., then that makes much more sense. 
Filing clerks and appointment-setters shouldn't be counted among "frontline healthcare workers" ... but I really don't know the methodology behind those polls.

Remember when all the talk was immunity only lasted for 3 months because of antibody drop off? 

Good times. 

I don’t think it’s the medical community putting the message out, it’s someone stretching a truthful statement to try and raise concern.

It's not the same nurses. I would bet that in any overrun hospital, they don't have to look to hard for "crying nurses". But in any hospital that's less than overrun -- even if they're running at 95% capacity for weeks on end -- there are likely still a big chunk of RNs in denial mentally (or at least they won't acknowledge otherwise out loud).
We are back to the part where my mind is incapable of grasping the concept. Someone who has had medical training, someone versed in science and fact. How is it that these people are still in denial based on the rantings of those with no scientific background whatsoever given all the evidence before them on a daily basis? It is just mind-boggling to me.

Remember when all the talk was immunity only lasted for 3 months because of antibody drop off? 

Good times. 
"Some people caught COVID twice!!!"

(Just like every other human viral disease ... 99.999% will develop long-lasting immunity, but a small handful won't. That small handful makes news.)

How about as a condition to renew a driver's license (a privilege, not a right)?
I think if it you use it just about any scenario to stop someone from doing something they normally would, there will be a lawyer knocking on your door within the week. Just my opinion.

As with anything, it's not black & white for every scenario. Some are but I think as with anything, there is a ton more gray. With the current environment regarding the virus, masks, vaccines I think there will be as many people lining up to sue employers/business's for precluding them from working/shopping/doing whatever you normally would do as there are lining up to get the shot.

We are back to the part where my mind is incapable of grasping the concept. Someone who has had medical training, someone versed in science and fact. How is it that these people are still in denial based on the rantings of those with no scientific background whatsoever given all the evidence before them on a daily basis? It is just mind-boggling to me.
Not attempting to besmirch an undeniably noble profession:

Nursing training is not really scientific training. Nurses train to do a lot of grunt work, and to do it as efficiently as humanly possible. The underlying science behind the training is, at best, glossed over. It's a lot less important in nursing to understand the whys and wherefores -- just do as you were taught. Or do what the doctor says.

Now then. Some nurses are curious sorts who pay close attention to what's going on around them in the hospital. They'll talk to the doctors and ask insightful questions, and they'll accumulate a lot of good practical knowledge throughout their careers. But that's far, far from all nurses.

[notaimedatpipes]

What were the trials for, then? Why do so many think there's all these secret side effects that are for sure going to be suddenly coming out of nowhere?

And yeah ... those poor souls who are essentially allergic to air and go into anaphylactic shock at the drop of a hat? And the few dozen worldwide who have reacted badly to the vaccine so far (if that many)? That ain't you, unless your allergist in on speed dial and you carry a half-dozen Epi-pens at all times.

[/notaimedatpipes]
I'm not looking for an argument I just posted what I've heard. 

Not attempting to besmirch an undeniably noble profession:

Nursing training is not really scientific training. Nurses train to do a lot of grunt work, and to do it as efficiently as humanly possible. The underlying science behind the training is, at best, glossed over. It's a lot less important in nursing to understand the whys and wherefores -- just do as you were taught. Or do what the doctor says.

Now then. Some nurses are curious sorts who pay close attention to what's going on around them in the hospital. They'll talk the doctors and ask insightful questions, and they'll accumulate a lot of good practical knowledge throughout their careers. But that's far, far from all nurses.
No idea on the backstory on this but just see it's being reported. 

Please everyone be more cool. And be extra respectful of nurses. 

I’ve shared my frustration a few times of seeing classmates from pharmacy school and other medical professionals just being ignorant, holding large weddings, etc. I’m afraid to ask the other pharmacist I work with about the vaccine because I don’t want to hear his answer. He’s been in denial about it for awhile and has shared that opinion with customers as well. His wife has been suffering with health issues through the whole pandemic and was recently diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease. I hope he plans on getting vaccinated to protect her but I’m not going to ask and be disappointed.

I don't think it's necessarily denial, but simply the fact that people's risk curves with and without the vaccine are different depending on their specific situation.  From a purely self-interested standpoint, the cost-benefit analysis of chances of severe Covid vs. chances of adverse reaction to a vaccine is drastically different for a 65 year old with health problems vs. a healthy 25 year old.  If you add in that the 25 year old has been working in a high risk environment for months without getting sick, you could see how they would be less likely to jump at the chance to take a fast-tracked vaccine.  Not saying they're right, but you can see the underpinnings of their stance.

Dissent! It was nice knowing you, brother.
Haha, I just don’t get what was wrong with his post. Totally respectful, said it’s a noble profession but they are not the science minds behind this. I think they are true heroes, but that doesn’t mean anything said there was untrue. Wild. 

Every credible news source has said the fertility rumor originated from a fake news story that was circulated on Facebook. 

If you add in that the 25 year old has been working in a high risk environment for months without getting sick, you could see how they would be less likely to jump at the chance to take a fast-tracked vaccine.
This is a pretty good point. You could probably even remove the age component -- the 50-year-old who has been working in a high risk environment for months without getting sick ... that person might also downplay the general risks of COVID.

Every credible news source has said the fertility rumor originated from a fake news story that was circulated on Facebook. We're so dumb its embarrassing.  
Is there such a thing anymore?  See Dr Zaius post above I think he nails it. 

Haha, I just don’t get what was wrong with his post. Totally respectful, said it’s a noble profession but they are not the science minds behind this. I think they are true heroes, but that doesn’t mean anything said there was untrue. Wild. 
I don't mind someone taking offense, or even someone reporting it. I'm just sorry that engagement wasn't sought.

This is a pretty good point. You could probably even remove the age component -- the 50-year-old who has been working in a high risk environment for months without getting sick ... that person might also downplay the general risks of COVID.
Yes I think prolonged exposure to risks in your environment is a real factor.  We had a hailstorm last year so I've been seeing roofing crews for the past few months.  I see some of those guys literally running across steep-pitched roofs with a nail gun.  There's no way they were that risk tolerant when they put their first few roofs on.

Reposted from someone I know:

Do I feel comfortable getting the new coronavirus vaccine?

Yes!

As a physician, I thought I would take a moment to explain why I feel completely comfortable getting vaccinated.

Because vaccines are designed to protect you from a disease you do not have, the bar for vaccine safety is set extremely high. The vaccine experts and infectious disease doctors who are responsible for approving the vaccines have chosen to dedicate their lives to protecting the public from disease. They REALLY don’t want to approve a vaccine before they are very convinced that a vaccine is safe and effective, in part because if they approve it prematurely and there turns out to be a problem it will erode public trust in this vaccine and all others, too. Three things really helped speed up production of this vaccine: 1) advances in vaccine technology, 2) a LOT of money, which facilitated important but expensive large phase 3 trials, and paid for vaccines to be produced before we even knew if they would work, so that they would be ready in the event of good news, and 3) a LOT of disease in the community, which greatly sped up the process of determining whether the vaccines could protect you from this disease.

Between Moderna and Pfizer, over 74,000 people have participated in the phase 3 trials. That means that 37,000 people have gotten the active vaccines (the other half got placebo). Some folks had mild side effects, but not one of these 37,000 people had a serious safety event.

But vaccine makers don’t stop monitoring for safety with completion of the phase 3 trial. They continue to monitor vaccines even after release to pick up on any adverse events so rare that they can’t be picked up among the tens of thousands of people who participate in the phase 3 trial. Vaccine adverse events generally happen within days to weeks of getting the vaccine, and are rare after 6-8 weeks. By the time this vaccine is available to the general public in the spring tens of millions of people will be past this 6-8 week window, so even if there were an extremely rare adverse event, we would know about it by then.

Furthermore, I know that my chances of dying from covid as a generally healthy 40-something female are about 1-in-250 to 1-in-1000. That’s not a rare adverse event. And that doesn’t even include my much greater chances of other serious but non-fatal consequences. Getting coronavirus is unquestionably FAR more dangerous to me than the vaccine.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines use mRNA. Your body then uses the mRNA in the vaccine to make copies of a spike protein that is on the coronavirus. Your immune system learns to recognize and attack this spike, so that if you happen to encounter the real virus, your body is ready to quickly recognize and attack the virus before an infection can take hold. A few notes about the mRNA: 1. It never enters the nucleus of your cell; and it does not interact with your DNA in any way. 2. It is completely degraded within hours to days, so it is around long enough to tell the cells to make some spike proteins, and then it’s gone.

The more I read about these vaccines, the more impressed I am with the data and the results. Everything I have seen suggests that these vaccines will safely and effectively protect you from a disease that has already killed nearly 1-in-1000 people in our country, with no signs of letting up. I couldn’t be more excited about the safety and efficacy of these vaccines, and I will get my vaccine as soon as I am eligible!

This image below is a great depiction of how effective these vaccines are.

Graph

He’s not allowed to have an opinion? He said it was a noble profession, but they are in fact not scientists. Sheesh. 
:confused:     People can have an opinion and be cool. As I said, I don't know anything about what's been talked about and don't have time to learn today. I just know it's being reported so I posted what I did and asked people to be cool. Please help us. Thanks. 

It seems to me that very few understand how groundbreaking these vaccine approaches are.  These aren't vaccines like the vaccines we are familiar with (at least two of them aren't).  We need a SIGNIFICANT attempt to educate people on this, including our politicians.  In my state our governor is ALREADY saying "well, one dose might be enough".....seriously!!!  WTF!!!!!!  

If there was ever a time our federal government needed to step up, it's RIGHT NOW....deliver a clear concise message with the support of the vaccine creators...EVERYONE has to be on the same page or it's just going to be a HUGE waste of time, resources and money.  Now, I'm worried we're going to screw this up.

ETA:  By the way....I have an annotated copy of the research done for the Pfizer trial....I don't know the best way to put it out for you guys to take a look at.  One of my wife's colleagues did it and makes weeding through the report much easier.  Any ideas on how to get it out there?  Are any of you interested in it?

ETA:  By the way....I have an annotated copy of the research done for the Pfizer trial....I don't know the best way to put it out for you guys to take a look at.  One of my wife's colleagues did it and makes weeding through the report much easier.  Any ideas on how to get it out there?  Are any of you interested in it?
If you've already got a free Google account (if you have a Gmail box, you've got a Google account), you can post it to a linkable page on Google Drive.

If you've already got a free Google account (if you have a Gmail box, you've got a Google account), you can post it to a linkable page on Google Drive.
Yeah, our house is fully google :bag:  

Thought there might be a way to do it outside my personal account...not an issue though...I can put it out there that way if anyone's interested.

It seems to me that very few understand how groundbreaking these vaccine approaches are.  These aren't vaccines like the vaccines we are familiar with (at least two of them aren't).  We need a SIGNIFICANT attempt to educate people on this, including our politicians.  In my state our governor is ALREADY saying "well, one dose might be enough".....seriously!!!  WTF!!!!!!  

If there was ever a time our federal government needed to step up, it's RIGHT NOW....deliver a clear concise message with the support of the vaccine creators...EVERYONE has to be on the same page or it's just going to be a HUGE waste of time, resources and money.  Now, I'm worried we're going to screw this up.

Yes. Please post. 

From what I read though, the vax is easy to change to account for these. Somebody said it’s like changing the lock on your door. 
Yea, none of these mutations should impact the vaccine at this point.  Apparently the spike protein has several attachment points or something something.

Users who are viewing this thread