• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

2 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Can someone explain this to me?

Is the average IQ in South Dakota below that of your run-of-the-mill lawn gnome? Is the state mascot The Masochist? Will she get blown out in the next election? I just cannot even fathom a  person like this in charge of an entire state.

Did your IQ prevent you from reading past the click bait headline?

What does any of this judgy mcjudge face post have to do with what she actually said?  :lmao: 

Edited by matuski
1 minute ago, matuski said:

Did your IQ tell you to stop reading past the click bait headline?

What does any of this judgy mcjudge face post have to do with wat she actually said?  :lmao: 

Where did I say I took exception to anything she said? I was looking more at the minor details, such as:

"The South Dakota Department of Health on Saturday reported 54 new deaths from COVID-19, surpassing the state's previous record death total of 53."

"Noem, a Republican, has refused to issue a statewide mask mandate and has otherwise disputed science and calls to enact stricter measures to contain the virus in the state."

"Over the past week, more than 42% of COVID-19 tests in South Dakota administered have come back positive, according to data analyzed by Johns Hopkins University."

None of which has anything to do with the click bait headline. So it's somewhat comical that is what you decided to call out. You obviously didn't get past that personally. The point is you have an elected official putting the lives of her constituents at risk on a daily basis, ignoring even the most basic safety precautions that have been proven effective. So I will reiterate, she can't possibly remain in power the next time the people in SD get a choice can she?

17 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

for the old, fat and sick who shouldn't be out anyhow...not a big deal for everybody else.

Do the people you consider everyone else also interact with the old, fat and sick? Do the people who are old, fat and sick realize it or do they put themselves into the everyone else category?

9 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I'm starting to think people didn't even read the article before responding. At least nothing other than the title of the article. Tip: The article covered much more than just a day of shopping.

I read the whole article. No excuses for the governor's lack of action. But the headline focuses on her tweet encouraging people to shop small businesses. 

Just now, Biff84 said:

Do the people you consider everyone else also interact with the old, fat and sick? Do the people who are old, fat and sick realize it or do they put themselves into the everyone else category?

IMHO the messaging should have been different once they realized the virus mostly impacts certain groups. And the young and healthy are 99.99 not likely to have any health complications.  

3 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Where did I say I took exception to anything she said? I was looking more at the minor details, such as:

"The South Dakota Department of Health on Saturday reported 54 new deaths from COVID-19, surpassing the state's previous record death total of 53."

"Noem, a Republican, has refused to issue a statewide mask mandate and has otherwise disputed science and calls to enact stricter measures to contain the virus in the state."

"Over the past week, more than 42% of COVID-19 tests in South Dakota administered have come back positive, according to data analyzed by Johns Hopkins University."

None of which has anything to do with the click bait headline. So it's somewhat comical that is what you decided to call out. You obviously didn't get past that personally. The point is you have an elected official putting the lives of her constituents at risk on a daily basis, ignoring even the most basic safety precautions that have been proven effective. So I will reiterate, she can't possibly remain in power the next time the people in SD get a choice can she?

She barely won last time but I think if the election was held today, she would easily win re-election. I think that will change but this isn’t the right forum to dive deep into that.

3 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

IMHO the messaging should have been different once they realized the virus mostly impacts certain groups. And the young and healthy are 99.99 not likely to have any health complications.  

What happens on Thanksgiving and the upcoming holidays when the ‘young and healthy’ mix with the ‘old and sick’? What happens if those ‘young and healthy’ people have jobs that interact with the ‘old and sick’ or people with high risk people at home? The young and healthy don’t stay in an isolated bubble away from everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I needed a reminder to be a little more charitable in my assumptions of other people when I see them doing something I wouldn't agree with...

I did my Thanksgiving grocery shopping the week before so that I didn't have to deal with extra store crowds closer to Thursday.  I was prepping some dishes on Wednesday and realized I didn't have a few things I needed, so had to run to the store after all.  I decided to try to get in and out as quickly as possible, ran in, grabbed a few things from produce, asked a staff member a quick question, and then headed over to the baking supplies aisle.  Passed a couple of people and scanned the shelf for the herb I was looking for and then... suddenly felt completely naked and stupid as I realized I didn't have my mask on.  It was only as I hurried out of the store with my shirt pulled up over my mouth and nose that I noticed the first person even giving me a funny look.  I just shrugged to her and got out of there to get my mask from the car before returning.  

Anyway, all that is to say that not every maskless person you see in a store is a selfish anti-masker.  Sometimes they're just a temporary moron who would feel really stupid but would actually be very appreciative if someone would kindly point out to them that their face was naked.

2 minutes ago, jhib said:

I guess I needed a reminder to be a little more charitable in my assumptions of other people when I see them doing something I wouldn't agree with...

I did my Thanksgiving grocery shopping the week before so that I didn't have to deal with extra store crowds closer to Thursday.  I was prepping some dishes on Wednesday and realized I didn't have a few things I needed, so had to run to the store after all.  I decided to try to get in and out as quickly as possible, ran in, grabbed a few things from produce, asked a staff member a quick question, and then headed over to the baking supplies aisle.  Passed a couple of people and scanned the shelf for the herb I was looking for and then... suddenly felt completely naked and stupid as I realized I didn't have my mask on.  It was only as I hurried out of the store with my shirt pulled up over my mouth and nose that I noticed the first person even giving me a funny look.  I just shrugged to her and got out of there to get my mask from the car before returning.  

Anyway, all that is to say that not every maskless person you see in a store is a selfish anti-masker.  Sometimes they're just a temporary moron who would feel really stupid but would actually be very appreciative if someone would kindly point out to them that their face was naked.

Happens a few times a day where I work, not that I always believe them. They usually try to cover their face in some way, so it doesn’t bother me. The people purposely not wearing a mask always seem to have a miserable look on their face.

Just now, BassNBrew said:

Good news is that cases have trended down in the last week.  Deaths have also dropped which really doesn't make sense.

Probably morgues don't work on Holiday.  And people didn't bother getting tested in the same timeframe

11 minutes ago, culdeus said:
12 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Good news is that cases have trended down in the last week.  Deaths have also dropped which really doesn't make sense.

Probably morgues don't work on Holiday.  And people didn't bother getting tested in the same timeframe

My county is updating Wednesday through Sunday numbers on Monday. 

39 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

What happens on Thanksgiving and the upcoming holidays when the ‘young and healthy’ mix with the ‘old and sick’? What happens if those ‘young and healthy’ people have jobs that interact with the ‘old and sick’ or people with high risk people at home? The young and healthy don’t stay in an isolated bubble away from everyone else.

You have it backwards, the young and healthy don't have to isolate.  It's the at-risk population that should be isolating.  They know the risk, it is their responsibility.(assuming they can care for themselves)

Edited by TripItUp
45 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

You have it backwards, the young and healthy don't have to isolate.  It's the at-risk population that should be isolating.  They know the risk, it is their responsibility.(assuming they can care for themselves)

It’s ridiculous to keep making this argument. You can’t isolate them from all outside sources that could pass along the virus. Not to mention that a good chunk of the high risk people don’t believe they are high risk.

You talk about the responsibility of the high risk people but ignore the responsibility of everyone else. We wouldn’t need to shut down schools or businesses if people just were responsible and stopped worrying about living a ‘normal’ life. There is nothing normal about what’s happening now and as soon as more people realize that, the better. Shutdowns are the tools to deal with a failure of social to act responsibly to stop the spread.

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Wait, you think only 1,375 young and healthy people that have tested positive in the US have had health Complications?

99.99% is 1/10,000 and we have over 13,750,000 cases in the US.

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

What if one truly is ignorant? Because the idea that old, fat and sick people “shouldn’t be out anyhow” isn’t exactly a well reasoned stance.

It's downright antithetical to a free society to say that, but hey, who's counting on freedom anyway? We're talking about efficiency here.

8 hours ago, TripItUp said:

And the young and healthy are 99.99 not likely to have any health complications.  

This is 1000% inaccurate. Man. What a frustrating country to live in. People just willfully stating inaccurate information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, Anarchy99 said:

Thoughts and prayers. I am currently home alone, COVID positive, and sick like I’ve never been before. Hopefully I can stay out of the hospital. I cannot be held responsible for my actions the next time I come across someone that says it’s JUSTA FLU, BRO. 

Haven't seen you in a bit...please check in and let us know how you're doing. 

Glad to see we are back to arguing if it is just something for the old and weak to worry about. :thumbup:

We still have two people hospitalized from our work. Yes. The one is an older lady and the other is a guy who has some health issues. But neither of them had the opportunity to shelter in place and not go to work. Someone should have given them the memo that all they had to do was stay home. 

I get it. I still have people that work in our company who think this is no big deal. Even though we've had folks get very sick, hospitalized and a couple family members die. Everyone is tired of this pandemic.

It is at least somewhat comforting that deaths are a factor of 4 fewer than the last peak.  Texas for some reason is only a factor of 2 down, which is having us rapidly gaining on NJ/NY for per capita deaths.  Texas hasn't quite gotten to the level of reported ICU/Hospital we hit in June timeframe, but there is reason to believe hospitals are not reporting the data fully to maintain elective surgery options.  

4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It is at least somewhat comforting that deaths are a factor of 4 fewer than the last peak.  Texas for some reason is only a factor of 2 down, which is having us rapidly gaining on NJ/NY for per capita deaths.  Texas hasn't quite gotten to the level of reported ICU/Hospital we hit in June timeframe, but there is reason to believe hospitals are not reporting the data fully to maintain elective surgery options.  

Isnt this the same as saying hospitals were misreporting data to get more money for covid deaths? 

I am sure it has happened for both, but without serious proof of either seems like just noise. 

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Good for them.  :thumbup: 

Edited by matuski
2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Isnt this the same as saying hospitals were misreporting data to get more money for covid deaths? 

I am sure it has happened for both, but without serious proof of either seems like just noise. 

The main issue is hospitals are not well setup for this cost structure.  The change from venting everyone and putting them in body bags after running up 30k-100k in charges plus whatever it was to put a toe tag on,  to proning and piping in 02 at a lower coding, changing the game.  Now you've clogged up hospitals with low value patients and skipping out on the money bags of ortho and cardio.  It's hard to charge people six figures for a bed and a couple straws up their nose.

In Texas they need to maintain 15% capacity to keep doing electives.  So the funny stuff they are doing are playing with what they call "ICU" beds and what they call staffing.  The newest change is pushing inpatient to outpatients with a bottle of O2.  

Just look at DFW.  Magically in this surge we have an additional 400 ICU beds since June.  What's really happening is public hospitals are taking on the proners and leaving the electives to the for profits.  

https://covid-texas.csullender.com/?tsa=E

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It makes sense that the death rate is down. We know a lot more about what not to do (for example, release patients to nursing homes with poor/nonexistent protocols) than we did in the spring.

1 minute ago, Pip's Invitation said:

It makes sense that the death rate is down. We know a lot more about what not to do (for example, release patients to nursing homes with poor/nonexistent protocols) than we did in the spring.

It's amazing that people continue to post this.  The whole "BuT w3 ZenT Peeoples to NUrzinG H0m3z" cost at most 8000 of the 250000 deaths.  Some estimates have this number at fewer than 1000.  Yes, that sucks and was regrettable, but we've learned from that and moved forward and very quickly.  

40 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It's amazing that people continue to post this.  The whole "BuT w3 ZenT Peeoples to NUrzinG H0m3z" cost at most 8000 of the 250000 deaths.  Some estimates have this number at fewer than 1000.  Yes, that sucks and was regrettable, but we've learned from that and moved forward and very quickly.  

Chill, dude, that's not what I was saying at all. 

• Like 1

Was exposed this past week.

Went to visit family for thanksgiving. Myself + GF / Brother + Wife + 2 Nieces / My parents. 

Presumably the Gf and I were the only ones who hadn't had it within the last 2 months so we got tested before flying, and used good PPE on flight. 

All was fine until folks had a "Denier" neighbor/BFF (55yo) Russ and his wife Kim, plus another couple Keith & Tina (60s) over on Monday evening. Sat outside on back patio around 7ft dia table. GF and I intentionally positioned ourselves on the far side of the table.  Nobody was symptomatic. 

24 hours later we get a call. Denier Russ is positive. Keith was on one side of him at the table, and my pop was on the other. 

2 days later Keith was positive. 

GF and I have not had symptoms and were tested Sat before flying (negative). Now quarantining for another few days at home to be safe but clearly a close call. 

Once we got the call my folks listened to us and kept it to family only (like it should have been to begin with). Rest of the week was great. Took the boat out fishing, swam, etc. Great family time. 

Edited by [icon]

Here is how frustrating dealing with COVID / COLD stuff can be.

Week of 11/16 - 11/19 I was exposed to a number of people at work that ended up coming down with COVID.

Starting Friday 11/20 - Monday 11/23 I had a headache, sore throat and congestion. I ALWAYS have congestion though. Take allergy medicine daily.

Wed. 11/24 - I get tested for COVID. Awaiting results

Thur 11/25 - Grandkids (who live next door and are over EVERY SINGLE DAY) get sick. 1 year old and 3 year old. Mom takes 3yr old to ER on Thanksgiving. Diagnosed with Croup and double ear infection.  No COVID test given. This is the Cleveland Clinic hospital and they deal with COVID non-stop. We trust that they did not need to give the little guy a covid test.

Friday 11/26 - I get a negative COVID results. Wife comes down with congestion. Assuming it is from the kids.

Saturday 11/27 - Myself and my 20 year old son now have congestion. Slight cough. Feeling confident because the grandkids had snotted all over everything and they are not COVID positive. Wife is still dealing with crud.

Sunday 11/28 - Son finds out late that a co-worker at Walmart has tested positive. He has close contact with her daily. 

TODAY - Son still has congestion and slight cough. A second co-worker has tested positive that he works directly with. He is currently getting a covid test right now.

:wall:

It feels like this is going to be the new normal until we get through this. 

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Was exposed this past week.

Went to visit family for thanksgiving. Myself + GF / Brother + Wife + 2 Nieces / My parents. 

Presumably the Gf and I were the only ones who hadn't had it within the last 2 months so we got tested before flying, and used good PPE on flight. 

All was fine until folks had a "Denier" neighbor/BFF (55yo) Russ and his wife Kim, plus another couple Keith & Tina (60s) over on Monday evening. Sat outside on back patio around 7ft dia table. GF and I intentionally positioned ourselves on the far side of the table.  Nobody was symptomatic. 

24 hours later we get a call. Denier Russ is positive. Keith was on one side of him at the table, and my pop was on the other. 

2 days later Keith was positive. 

GF and I have not had symptoms and were tested Sat before flying (negative). Now quarantining for another few days at home to be safe but clearly a close call. 

Once we got the call my folks listened to us and kept it to family only (like it should have been to begin with). Rest of the week was great. Took the boat out fishing, swam, etc. Great family time. 

I feel stories like this are all too common this past week and the numbers are going to explode even more than they already are. 

8 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

What if one truly is ignorant? Because the idea that old, fat and sick people “shouldn’t be out anyhow” isn’t exactly a well reasoned stance.

Exactly this---and the notion that our government officials should just ignore the safety of a large portion of our population is so messed up. Citizens that are elderly,  that have health conditions, that are overweight are still citizens that deserve the same public safety as everybody else. To think that in the United States that there are people that think that its okay to tell them to shut themselves out of society for months on end because people who are healthy, young and in good health don't want to practice good and safe behavior is truly disgusting.   

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Not well reasoned according to you.  How about we listen to and respect other opinions?

37 minutes ago, Pipes said:

I feel stories like this are all too common this past week and the numbers are going to explode even more than they already are. 

Yep, we're comfortable with the risks we took - we did thanksgiving indoors with my wife's immediate family but the morning and evening events this year were outside only. Each setup fire pits and we all kept our distance from those we didn't come with. Other than to exercise I haven't left the house since getting home that night and I intend to keep it that way through the weekend - just in case any of us got it that way it stays in our house. My wife is working on site, but only a dozen or so others are in the building and they're all in separate rooms. Only exposure any of us will get is whoever does the mid-week produce run.  

I think my parents generally do a good job limiting their exposure, but whether it's unintentional or willful their actions indicate they don't understand what the virus does indoors. Our kids typically stay with them for a couple days after christmas, but we told them it isn't happening this year. I don't know nor generally care what they do when they stay there, but I'm sure whatever it is will be indoors and history shows that even if we tell them not to do something there is no guarantee they will listen. I'm irked mom fought it, but I'm also not surprised. We intend to do something similar after christmas like we are now, so the sooner we can start that process the better. 

23 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

I'll post the actual data that has been out for quite some time.  

A friend of a friend just died from covid on Friday. Only 43. You can save whatever crooked numbers you’re planning to post. 

• Sad 12
5 minutes ago, Capella said:

A friend of a friend just died from covid on Friday. Only 43. You can save whatever crooked numbers you’re planning to post. 

I had a friend of mine in her late 50s that died.  I hate that we are still deing with this is just the "flu" still.  

• Sad 4

My sister's FIL/MIL that had direct exposure at an outdoor dining situation from what would be her SIL/BIL and kids never tested positive.  The family that visited spent 11 ####ty days in a hotel room coughing with their kids. The SIL is still testing positive two weeks later and is at least not flying home for now.  Fun vacation.  

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Haven't seen you in a bit...please check in and let us know how you're doing. 

Same old same old. Been almost two weeks. I still have every symptom on the list. The good news is chest pain, ability to breathe, and O2 aren’t a major concern. I’ve had a horrific sore throat, terrible cough, and wheezing. At one point I sounded like the creature from the black lagoon. Coughed up stuff that science can’t identity. Add into that major fatigue, diarrhea, and a fever that is getting worse not better and they don’t know what to do with me. I was supposed to go get checked for a throat abscess but that got cancelled once I tested positive. They are debating me going in for a chest X-ray but they don’t consider me in the serious category because I can still talk and haven’t had severe breathing problems. They already said they won’t admit me and to just ride it out. In my case all the minor symptoms are the problem and the major symptoms for other people are minor for me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

Vulnerable to be given free vitamin d pills in England. 

I really don't understand why this isn't highly recommended at this point(not the free part). Nobody has to say it is a cure or that it could prevent infection. They can simply tell the truth. That some observational studies have shown some stark data that shows it could be a factor and that vitamin D deficiency has other negative things associated with it and this could help get rid of those even if it doesnt work for covid. Here are risks with taking too much...thanks!

They didn't hesitate to recommend washing hands or using hand sanitizer when they literally didn't even know if your hands could spread it. They relied on previous knowledge of other diseases and used the precautionary principle to make that recommendation and felt that increased hand hygiene would be a good overall outcome even if it didn't provide help for covid. Same with bleach and cleaning. We know that hand sanitizer and bleach can be dangerous if misused and that actually did happen. Obviously other unintended consequences of those recommendations have come to fruition as well. 

So it isn't like they always wait for absolute proof before diving head in. So what is the problem here? Why aren't they telling everybody to take vitamin d?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Same old same old. Been almost two weeks. I still have every symptom on the list. The good news is chest pain, ability to breathe, and O2 aren’t a major concern. I’ve had a horrific sore throat, terrible cough, and wheezing. At one point I sounded like the creature from the black lagoon. Coughed up stuff that science can’t identity. Add into that major fatigue, diarrhea, and a fever that is getting worse not better and they don’t know what to do with me. I was supposed to go get checked for a throat abscess but that got cancelled once I tested positive. They are debating me going in for a chest X-ray but they don’t consider me in the serious category because I can still talk and haven’t had severe breathing problems. They already said they won’t admit me and to just ride it out. In my case all the minor symptoms are the problem and the major symptoms for other people are minor for me. 

Thanks for replying. Hasn't seen you post since saying you were sick and I started getting nervous...especially since you said you were on your own.

Glad you're "ok", relatively speaking.

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Is there anything you can take or anything they recommend to at least help with your symptoms? 

3 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Is there anything you can take or anything they recommend to at least help with your symptoms? 

Advil and Tylenol. I took a round of antibiotics for my throat. I was taking Mucinex (an expectorant) but stopped for a few days because it was making my throat worse. But they want me to start that up again. 

I forgot to mention that one of the worst things is not being able to get any sleep. Been getting 10-15 minutes of sleep every few hours but can’t stay asleep.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Capella said:

Truly infuriating that this is our country now. 

Yeah I can’t really respond in here (or probably at all) without getting banned so I’ll just let everyone else read and judge this mentality for themselves. 

21 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

No underlying conditions?  Totally healthy?

I said the "young AND healthy"

Over 40% of Americans are obese. So at LEAST 40% of Americans are high risk right off the bat. Let’s stop pretending that those with underlying conditions are a small percentage of the population or even knowable. There are plenty of folks out there with underlying conditions that have no idea they have invisible health issues.

• Like 2