Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Same old same old. Been almost two weeks. I still have every symptom on the list. The good news is chest pain, ability to breathe, and O2 aren’t a major concern. I’ve had a horrific sore throat, terrible cough, and wheezing. At one point I sounded like the creature from the black lagoon. Coughed up stuff that science can’t identity. Add into that major fatigue, diarrhea, and a fever that is getting worse not better and they don’t know what to do with me. I was supposed to go get checked for a throat abscess but that got cancelled once I tested positive. They are debating me going in for a chest X-ray but they don’t consider me in the serious category because I can still talk and haven’t had severe breathing problems. They already said they won’t admit me and to just ride it out. In my case all the minor symptoms are the problem and the major symptoms for other people are minor for me. 

Hang in there GB.  :(

• Like 1
  • Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

2 hours ago, Capella said:

A friend of a friend just died from covid on Friday. Only 43. You can save whatever crooked numbers you’re planning to post. 

I just lost a 36 year old friend last weekend. Already between MLB and NFL there have been a couple players that had to miss seasons due to Myocarditis caused by Covid. Last I checked--there aren't 10000 combined players in MLB and NFL.  Even relative to world class athletes--the 99.99% figure is inaccurate.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Vulnerable to be given free vitamin d pills in England. 

I really don't understand why this isn't highly recommended at this point(not the free part). Nobody has to say it is a cure or that it could prevent infection. They can simply tell the truth. That some observational studies have shown some stark data that shows it could be a factor and that vitamin D deficiency has other negative things associated with it and this could help get rid of those even if it doesnt work for covid. Here are risks with taking too much...thanks!

They didn't hesitate to recommend washing hands or using hand sanitizer when they literally didn't even know if your hands could spread it. They relied on previous knowledge of other diseases and used the precautionary principle to make that recommendation and felt that increased hand hygiene would be a good overall outcome even if it didn't provide help for covid. Same with bleach and cleaning. We know that hand sanitizer and bleach can be dangerous if misused and that actually did happen. Obviously other unintended consequences of those recommendations have come to fruition as well. 

So it isn't like they always wait for absolute proof before diving head in. So what is the problem here? Why aren't they telling everybody to take vitamin d?

I made a post recommending vitamin D in another thread months ago after Bret Weinstein and Dr. Rhonda Patrick exposed stats showing that the vast majority of people in ICU's with covid are vitamin D deficient.   In reality--on top of mask wearing, social distancing, and washing hands--there should have been a push by all levels of government to promote healthier behavior in general--sleeping at least 7-8 hours a day,  taking vitamins like C, D and zinc, eating healthier, doing exercise or activities like Yoga that promote physical and mental health, and to stay hydrated.   Until vaccination and even with vaccination doing what you can to maximize the strength of your immune system is never a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Have my son setup in his bedroom on lockdown. He has access to the upstairs bathroom. Gave him some KN95 masks to wear if he needs to go to bathroom. My wife has to get tested in the morning as she has had cold symptoms. My 1 year old and 3 year old that are sick now are getting tested in the morning. The 3 year old has been sick since Thanksgiving with croup and double ear infection. The pediatrician was like, "Yeah... We should test him now."

I've been working with some of our users remotely that are getting back online after being down and out with COVID last week. The guy I just got off the phone with is in GREAT health. 100% not overweight, doesn't smoke or drink. 50 years old. He said he would not wish this on his worst enemy. Two of people that I've work with for 20+ years are in the hospital.

This has caused chaos in our company and now my wife's company (where my daughter in law works). My mother-in-law who is high risk was around the grandkids yesterday. And now I get to spend the next 10-14 days wondering if I'm next. I'm not in perfect health and my wife is a cancer survivor with a auto-immune issue. So yeah. To say I'm concerned is probably accurate. 

I get it. Some of you feel this is overblown and sensationalized by the media. I will even agree to a point. But we have another forum where we can argue about that. This thread has been a great source for information and for folks to share what they have been through and know. I don't care if this only impacts unhealthy and old folks. I've lost friends. I have friends and family that are fighting this right now. Please stay safe and don't take it for granted. It doesn't take much for this thing to turn your world upside down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Over 40% of Americans are obese. So at LEAST 40% of Americans are high risk right off the bat. Let’s stop pretending that those with underlying conditions are a small percentage of the population or even knowable. There are plenty of folks out there with underlying conditions that have no idea they have invisible health issues.

On one hand I don't really want to pick this battle because from a high level your perspective is right anyway, but I think this is a terrible argument. 'We need to decision make to accommodate our fat and lazy citizenry' is not a message I endorse. If anything this is an appropriate time to message to that population that this is one reason why you need to change your ways. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Not well reasoned according to you.  How about we listen to and respect other opinions?

What you are stating isn't an opinion - it's just an incorrect "fact".  There's no respect/disrespect here - you either believe reality or you don't.  Somebody calling out someone for ignoring reality isn't disrespecting them, it's just pointing out they are wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

On one hand I don't really want to pick this battle because from a high level your perspective is right anyway, but I think this is a terrible argument. 'We need to decision make to accommodate our fat and lazy citizenry' is not a message I endorse. If anything this is an appropriate time to message to that population that this is one reason why you need to change your ways. 

I don't disagree with your premise but the reality is we have a large portion of our populace at risk for whatever reason - I think you have to address the pandemic first and at the same time educate for the long haul.  Not to mention, even if we ignore the fat/lazy there's still a decent number of people who are at risk through no real fault of their own - I'm not willing to say "screw you, stay home" like some apparently are willing to do.

7 hours ago, culdeus said:

7 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

It makes sense that the death rate is down. We know a lot more about what not to do (for example, release patients to nursing homes with poor/nonexistent protocols) than we did in the spring.

It's amazing that people continue to post this.  The whole "BuT w3 ZenT Peeoples to NUrzinG H0m3z" cost at most 8000 of the 250000 deaths.  Some estimates have this number at fewer than 1000.  Yes, that sucks and was regrettable, but we've learned from that and moved forward and very quickly.  

We have 4% of the World’s population, and 19% of the Covid deaths.

10 minutes ago, BoerumHill said:

We have 4% of the World’s population, and 19% of the Covid deaths.

Back to the fat/high risk.  I'd be curious if there's stats that show that % vs. Covid death % for Americans.  It would be interesting if the numbers are close - and would mean we more than any other country should probably take this serious. 

1 hour ago, top dog said:

Have my son setup in his bedroom on lockdown. He has access to the upstairs bathroom. Gave him some KN95 masks to wear if he needs to go to bathroom. My wife has to get tested in the morning as she has had cold symptoms. My 1 year old and 3 year old that are sick now are getting tested in the morning. The 3 year old has been sick since Thanksgiving with croup and double ear infection. The pediatrician was like, "Yeah... We should test him now."

I've been working with some of our users remotely that are getting back online after being down and out with COVID last week. The guy I just got off the phone with is in GREAT health. 100% not overweight, doesn't smoke or drink. 50 years old. He said he would not wish this on his worst enemy. Two of people that I've work with for 20+ years are in the hospital.

This has caused chaos in our company and now my wife's company (where my daughter in law works). My mother-in-law who is high risk was around the grandkids yesterday. And now I get to spend the next 10-14 days wondering if I'm next. I'm not in perfect health and my wife is a cancer survivor with a auto-immune issue. So yeah. To say I'm concerned is probably accurate. 

I get it. Some of you feel this is overblown and sensationalized by the media. I will even agree to a point. But we have another forum where we can argue about that. This thread has been a great source for information and for folks to share what they have been through and know. I don't care if this only impacts unhealthy and old folks. I've lost friends. I have friends and family that are fighting this right now. Please stay safe and don't take it for granted. It doesn't take much for this thing to turn your world upside down.

My sister tested positive a couple of weeks ago.  She's 45, runs marathons, and goes on hiking vacations and is generally in very good health.  She said covid absolutely knocked her on her ###.  (She's a nurse and has fully expected that she would eventually contract covid, so this did not come as some sort of surprise, and she's slated to return to work tomorrow.  No need for concern at this point, but yeah she absolutely agrees with your user).    

21 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Back to the fat/high risk.  I'd be curious if there's stats that show that % vs. Covid death % for Americans.  It would be interesting if the numbers are close - and would mean we more than any other country should probably take this serious. 

Correct, we have a less healthy population compared to many other cultures and countries.

This disease largely targets the unhealthy and elderly.   Countries that have older populations and unhealthy populations will have different percentages than healthy/young populations all other factors being equal...of course there are other factors as well.

Edited by TripItUp

I'm not interested in anecdotal one off stories..."I know a guy who was young that died".   

I'm more interested in the big picture...macro-stats.

The hysteria and the govt. policy ramifications around this largely containable virus have caused more harm than the virus itself.  

The "cure" has been worse than the disease.

Edited by TripItUp
5 hours ago, culdeus said:

My sister's FIL/MIL that had direct exposure at an outdoor dining situation from what would be her SIL/BIL and kids never tested positive.  The family that visited spent 11 ####ty days in a hotel room coughing with their kids. The SIL is still testing positive two weeks later and is at least not flying home for now.  Fun vacation.  

My BIL now positive.  Neat.  So we now think it was a chain here between the incoming relatives from out of town to BIL parents (Asym) to him (symptomatic).  Otherwise a little hard to explain without some public exposure of some kind.  Finding out the parents never tested because they didn't see the point without symptoms, also neat.  :rolleyes:  

They were at a 22 person outdoor event on Thursday at lunch.  3 over the age of 80.  neat.

2 hours ago, top dog said:

Hang in there. I don’t know where you are in regard to faith, so please don’t get offended when I say that I am adding you and yours to my prayers.

I am terrified that my wife or myself will get this. I am sure it will not go well for me and she has stress issues so probably would not be easy on her either. She babysits for our newborn niece and visits her parents regularly. She has no concerns at all and isn’t as cautious as she should be. 

This thing may kill me even if I don’t get it just from the constant stress of trying to keep my own people safe.

5 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

If you are wearing a cloth mask instead of a KN95 or a surgical mask at this point, can I ask people why?

I am satisfied that well-constructed cloth masks are at least equivalent to retail** surgical masks if not better. Not all cloth masks are created equal.

** the kind you see at drugstores, Wal Mart, etc.

5 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Not well reasoned according to you.  How about we listen to and respect other opinions?

No. I don’t have to listen to or respect opinions that are anti-data, anti-science and belittle the seriousness of the virus. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've started to lean towards surgical masks vs. cloth for efficacy based reasons, and it seems (AFAIK) there are plenty out there for medical staff. It's a tiny difference, perhaps, but that's what I'm giving my teacher wife.

14 minutes ago, Capella said:

No. I don’t have to listen to or respect opinions that are anti-data, anti-science and belittle the seriousness of the virus. 

There is a flip side of this coin where you don't have to pull the holier than thou/mob mentality beat down of anyone you think doesn't have the proper amount of fear.

25 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I've started to lean towards surgical masks vs. cloth for efficacy based reasons, and it seems (AFAIK) there are plenty out there for medical staff. It's a tiny difference, perhaps, but that's what I'm giving my teacher wife.

Any reason you are choosing that instead of kn95s? 

Oh the amount of crap I took for saying these things here months ago...

CNN exclusive: Vast trove of leaked documents shows China underreported Covid-19 numbers, took weeks to diagnose new cases and didn’t disclose a December flu spike in Hubei 

The Wuhan files Leaked documents reveal China's mishandling of the early stages of Covid-19

Nice of CNN to finally start reporting the truth about China and this virus.

42 minutes ago, culdeus said:

didn't know they were readily available.  I saw some links here earlier today, will see what I can find.

If you can't find any--i have some extra 3-M N95 that I can send to you for your wife.  If she's a teacher--you're going to want to get her in a better mask than a standard surgical.  PM if you want to take me up on the offer. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

I'm not interested in anecdotal one off stories..."I know a guy who was young that died".   

The hysteria and the govt. policy ramifications around this largely containable virus have caused more harm than the virus itself.  

You aren't interested in anecdotal evidence but you misstate* macro stats.  Interesting strategy.

*I'm probably being generous here but Thanksgiving puts me in a charitable mood.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Prove it

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

didn't know they were readily available.  I saw some links here earlier today, will see what I can find.

I can’t find a link to the study now, but a medical provider advocacy group tested a whole bunch of KN95 respirators and found a HUGE percentage of them were counterfeit and didn’t provide the required 95% filtration. Googling shows a whole bunch of other warnings about KN95s. Personally, I would not trust a KN95 respirator to be legit. Even N95s I would be careful on and do what you can to verify they are legit: Tips

ETA: Personal anecdote, but I’ve personally fit tested around 300-400 individuals over the last 6 months and I have had exactly one person pass on a KN95 respirator and I’m pretty sure he faked it because he wanted to wear the KN95 due to the ear loops. Using actual quantitative testing, every single KN95 has failed testing that I’ve personally conducted.

Edited by GroveDiesel
5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Maybe we focus on that message after we get through this then?   I think we are past the point were "well yeah, if you would have been exercising..."  is going to be a constructive way to get us out of the woods this winter.  

29 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I can’t find a link to the study now, but a medical provider advocacy group tested a whole bunch of KN95 respirators and found a HUGE percentage of them were counterfeit and didn’t provide the required 95% filtration. Googling shows a whole bunch of other warnings about KN95s. Personally, I would not trust a KN95 respirator to be legit. Even N95s I would be careful on and do what you can to verify they are legit: Tips

ETA: Personal anecdote, but I’ve personally fit tested around 300-400 individuals over the last 6 months and I have had exactly one person pass on a KN95 respirator and I’m pretty sure he faked it because he wanted to wear the KN95 due to the ear loops. Using actual quantitative testing, every single KN95 has failed testing that I’ve personally conducted.

That is why you need one on the fda list. There are also some easy steps to verify it is a legit mask. Test for water resistance, test for flammability, candle, and cut it to verify 5 layers. You can also buy extra metal nose strips that you can attach yourself to make the nose seal better. It is 6 bucks for 100 of them. This is where I believe most of the allowed leakage tolerance happens. 

Eta: obviously you do this to only one mask in the batch. 

Eta: omg just looked at that link. Some of those mask designs are hilarious. I like the shark tail one :lmao:

Edited by parasaurolophus
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Maybe we focus on that message after we get through this then?   I think we are past the point were "well yeah, if you would have been exercising..."  is going to be a constructive way to get us out of the woods this winter.  

No. Tomorrow is a disease when it comes to one's wellness. It's code for It's not a priority. If you do not make the time to address your wellness now then you will be forced to make time for your illness later. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

No. Tomorrow is a disease when it comes to one's wellness. It's code for It's not a priority. If you do not make the time to address your wellness now then you will be forced to make time for your illness later. 

Ok we will just agree to disagree here then.  I get where you are coming from, I really do.  Just think it's a bit late now, and that message will get lost in the wash of stuff we could be doing in the next month to beat this as a country.  

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Also, this is America.   A message of "eat healthy and exercise" goes over about as well as "wear a mask when entering this building".   We just don't like being told what to do.  

Correct, which is why it'd be irrational for my decision making to be influenced by any of them. They made their bed. They can sleep in it. 

Ok we will just agree to disagree here then.  I get where you are coming from, I really do.  Just think it's a bit late now, and that message will get lost in the wash of stuff we could be doing in the next month to beat this as a country.  

Outside of staying away from other humans/masks it is the single best thing any person could be doing and that's been the case from the beginning.

Edited by MAC_32
5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

That is why you need one on the fda list. There are also some easy steps to verify it is a legit mask. Test for water resistance, test for flammability, candle, and cut it to verify 5 layers. You can also buy extra metal nose strips that you can attach yourself to make the nose seal better. It is 6 bucks for 100 of them. This is where I believe most of the allowed leakage tolerance happens. 

Honestly, I think you are answering your own question as to why people are using cloth masks instead of the ones you are suggesting.   

I don't think Joe Public is combing the web to find FDA approved masks and/or testing them for water resistance and flammability.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

The President said it on TV, therefore it must be true.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/29/number-of-suicides-in-japan-over-month-span-exceed-deaths-from-covid-19/

Experts say the pandemic has exacerbated mental health issues due to prolonged lockdowns, isolation from family members, unemployment and other financial concerns, and a lack of school structure.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Correct, which is why it'd be irrational for my decision making to be influenced by any of them. They made their bed. They can sleep in it. 

I find these types of posts lacking empathy and that's just not my way of thinking about this.    It's awesome that you have the time, money, and access to stay in great health and shape, but that's not the case for everybody.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

I find these types of posts lacking empathy and that's just not my way of thinking about this.    It's awesome that you have the time, money, and access to stay in great health and shape, but that's not the case for everybody.  

I don't do feelings. I do facts. Not everyone has access to healthy foods but everyone has time, a place to exercise, and excuses. Relatively good health is within the control of most humans. Americans don't prioritize it and that's one of many reasons this has gone as badly as it has. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Honestly, I think you are answering your own question as to why people are using cloth masks instead of the ones you are suggesting.   

I don't think Joe Public is combing the web to find FDA approved masks and/or testing them for water resistance and flammability.  

They dont have to test them. That is for people that are paranoid that even though the manufacturer is on the list and they bought it from a reputable seller but still worry about counterfeits. 

The list is readily available and has been posted in this thread previously. I wasnt asking joe public, I was asking people in this thread. 

10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't do feelings. I do facts. Not everyone has access to healthy foods but everyone has time, a place to exercise, and excuses. Relatively good health is within the control of most humans. Americans don't prioritize it and that's one of many reasons this has gone as badly as it has. 

Again, we agree to disagree.   

Time to go back to the music threads as my anger level starts to rise a bit  

16 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Nobody makes us get fat, smoke, vape, drink sodas, eat tex mex - now we get to put those who don't down for lacking empathy?

Where is the "empathy" for others when we scarf down that 4th taco?

Again, we agree to disagree.   

Time to go back to the music threads as my anger level starts to rise a bit  

I create a 3x6' area in my bedroom to strength train. When I'm not doing that I'm out for a run. Everyone has time and can create their own space. They choose to use it in a different manner. Decisions have consequences. 

22 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

I don’t disagree that isolation is a serious issue and negative consequence. Not sure that Japan should be looked at as a typical case though. Suicides are high there generally anyway and they really are experiencing a total breakdown of their society when it comes to personal connections. Isolation and loneliness has been off the charts there for awhile.

1 minute ago, matuski said:

Nobody makes us get fat, smoke, vape, drink sodas, eat tex mex - now we get to put those who don't down for lacking empathy?

Where is the "empathy" for others when we scarf down that 4th taco?

This is one of the things I have found super interesting. I have seen so many doctors on social media complain about people going to restaurants and bars and pretending as if this is the first time they treated a patient that didnt follow the rules. 

Not saying going to restaurants or bars is good, just saying it is odd to act shocked about something they literally see every day. 

• Like 1

Obesity is also highly correlated to poverty. Being healthy is expensive. And no, people working multiple jobs don’t have the time to cook good food from scratch or exercise. The lack of empathy in here from some of you is astonishing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I don’t disagree that isolation is a serious issue and negative consequence. Not sure that Japan should be looked at as a typical case though. Suicides are high there generally anyway and they really are experiencing a total breakdown of their society when it comes to personal connections. Isolation and loneliness has been off the charts there for awhile.

It is a counterpoint to the "data" we have shoveled on us 24/7.

Some people are going to interpret the risk differently.  Those with elderly/sickly family members probably have more buy in.  Those without that and young children might value their children's growth and education more, and buy in less.  A young dude in college is invincible.  An old widow is lonely.

Not everyone refusing to bubble is anti data/science.  Not everyone bubbling is paranoid.

We all approach this in our own way - and the worst possible thing that can happen here is the vocal extremes taking over like they do in politics.  Of course, that is what happened from the start.

Edited by matuski