Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

:lmao: at this visual. 

Everybody should have a plan in place for how they will handle an infected family member. 

I hear so many people that think it is a foregone conclusion that if one family member gets it everybody gets it. The data does not support that. Over half of the people that get this do not give it to a single other person. 

Even if you determine there is a minimum level of codependency needed and isolation in the home isnt possible, there are still precautions that can be taken. 

Agreed.  If you haven't talked about an individual plan for each family member or combinations of family members do so now. 

• Replies 50.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shader

• Doug B

• parasaurolophus

• Terminalxylem

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Not to derail anything, but we had our baby last night! She's doing amazingly well. Due to the hospital's pandemic policies, I had to leave her right after my wife was released from recovery. I can't

On a positive note, my wife gave birth to our first child this morning!! We were expecting our daughter to be born in the first week of April, which does not align very well if this hospital sees a ma

57 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

There are certain subjects I've decided not to be nice about anymore. I had forgotten what event influenced my decision making when it came to health and @Jackstraw unintentionally reminded me. Michelle Obama being taken to the cleaners for making healthy lunches a priority was the straw that broke the camel's back. 

I don't care that my directness about this subject will rub some the wrong way. I actually think it's a feature; not a bug. From my perspective resistance and misinterpretation of the message whether overtly or accidentally is a cost of doing business. It is an engagement opportunity though. Our society needs smacked across the jaw when it comes to our health. The more blows from more people the the better. The psychological and economic influences @parasaurolophus mentioned are all too real and must be fought in order to adequately combat. Being nice about it and finding reasons to justify not making it a priority unintentionally enables the behavior to sustain. Demanding healthy behavioral decisions in 2020 isn't about just eating well and exercising; masking up and keeping your distance from others among many others things are baked into the message too.  

I don't know if my messaging or actions will have a meaningful impact, but I think it's the right thing to do in our current environment. 

Cool.  I will just stop interacting with you after this about this topic then.    I get your stance, and honestly don't disagree with it in principle, i've just found that I don't have much patience anymore for people that display a lack of empathy.    Especially since you went through this, maybe be more of a leader and coach and less coming across as saying that anybody that doesn't do what you did is a lazy POS?    I guess I am just not big on the whole "tough love" thing and thinking we need to smack people in the mouth about this.  

28 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Agreed.  If you haven't talked about an individual plan for each family member or combinations of family members do so now. 

@KarmaPolice I think you asked me a question about air purifiers previously and where to run them and why. This is exactly the kind of situation i have them for.

I have them running so that if we get a call that somebody that was in our house(or lives here) tested positive at least we already had them running and they could have possibly helped us. You dont find out until after the contact. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

@KarmaPolice I think you asked me a question about air purifiers previously and where to run them and why. This is exactly the kind of situation i have them for.

I have them running so that if we get a call that somebody that was in our house(or lives here) tested positive at least we already had them running and they could have possibly helped us. You dont find out until after the contact. 

I might have missed it if there were recommendations on which ones were decent for home use.  

I will fully admit - when talking about it, we didn't include this as a part of the plan and should.  

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I might have missed it if there were recommendations on which ones were decent for home use.  

I will fully admit - when talking about it, we didn't include this as a part of the plan and should.  

I think I may make my own with a MERV-13 and a box fan.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Everybody should have a plan in place for how they will handle an infected family member. 

I hear so many people that think it is a foregone conclusion that if one family member gets it everybody gets it. The data does not support that. Over half of the people that get this do not give it to a single other person. 

Even if you determine there is a minimum level of codependency needed and isolation in the home isnt possible, there are still precautions that can be taken. 

I've thought about this quite a bit over the last few months. Isolation into one room and seperate bathrooms was the best we really could do. I talked with my wife last week about purchasing an air purifier for the furnace. Wish I had thought of that months ago. It is what it is at the moment. The wife and I are both good and will do what we can to stay that way. She fought and beat cancer. Can't be this BS that takes her out.

3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

This isnt true. Happens all the time where people dont spread it within the house. In fact I bet it is 50/50. 

I've heard plenty of similar anecdotal stories personally as well. I'd be willing to bet it's way more than 50/50. I say that because I think the others ARE most likely infected, they are just asymptomatic. And THAT is the huge difference in why this virus is such a problem. IMHO. Without multiple negative tests, it's hard to believe that this thing is not spreading to others who live in the same household without extreme measures being taken to protect said others. IDK, maybe that's just my thinking. 

Just now, Nathan R. Jessep said:

I've heard plenty of similar anecdotal stories personally as well. I'd be willing to bet it's way more than 50/50. I say that because I think the others ARE most likely infected, they are just asymptomatic. And THAT is the huge difference in why this virus is such a problem. IMHO. Without multiple negative tests, it's hard to believe that this thing is not spreading to others who live in the same household without extreme measures being taken to protect said others. IDK, maybe that's just my thinking. 

I am not going by anecdotal stories. From Atlantic article by Zeynep.

A recent paper found that in Hong Kong, which had extensive testing and contact tracing, about 19 percent of cases were responsible for 80 percent of transmission, while 69 percent of cases did not infect another person. This finding is not rare: Multiple studies from the beginning have suggested that as few as 10 to 20 percent of infected people may be responsible for as much as 80 to 90 percent of transmission, and that many people barely transmit it.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I think I may make my own with a MERV-13 and a box fan.

I made some of these early on. Mentioned this to biff in this thread. Even with making the cube design,  I still found that this moved far more air. You can make your own replacement filters using merv 13s to make them far cheaper.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I am not going by anecdotal stories. From Atlantic article by Zeynep.

sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were, I worded that poorly

Just looking at the overall picture of worldwide infections (and particularly in the US), I'm skeptical of those living in close quarters not getting infected (again, perhaps without showing symptoms). I don't know that others are even getting tested if they aren't showing symptoms. I probably would not, myself. I don't have time to read the whole thing you posted, but I did skim, and near the bottom it gets at what was the gist of my thoughts. Testing. We (again, the US in particular) have failed miserably in just about all aspects of testing. Availability, accuracy, timing of getting tested and timing of getting results. All those things are part of what makes me skeptical about the "same household" statistics, which I have read as well as my aforementioned anecdotal personal stories.

Just now, Nathan R. Jessep said:

sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were, I worded that poorly

Just looking at the overall picture of worldwide infections (and particularly in the US), I'm skeptical of those living in close quarters not getting infected (again, perhaps without showing symptoms). I don't know that others are even getting tested if they aren't showing symptoms. I probably would not, myself. I don't have time to read the whole thing you posted, but I did skim, and near the bottom it gets at what was the gist of my thoughts. Testing. We (again, the US in particular) have failed miserably in just about all aspects of testing. Availability, accuracy, timing of getting tested and timing of getting results. All those things are part of what makes me skeptical about the "same household" statistics, which I have read as well as my aforementioned anecdotal personal stories.

Some of those studies are from countries where they test quite frequently. And if people are most contagious right before showing symptoms (not sure I believe this yet) then it isn't like they would have been able to avoid exposure by testing. Plus testing here is plenty available for direct exposures to positive cases.

To add some anecdotal stories too though... One of my friends had 4 people in house infected by index case. He was only one with no exposure to patient zero. He was in the house with his family the whole time. He never got it. Has tested 4 times now. All negative. 

Wife's friend from work had her twin sons infected at a graduation party. No other family members got it.

Our friends dad got it, they think from the hospital when he had a surgery performed since he had to get tested before surgery and was quarantined for a whole week before and after that as was his wife. Several days after surgery he got sick. Ends up testing positive for covid. His wife isn't fully functional so our friend had to go to the house to care for him and her mom. Neither got infected. 

• Like 1

I know last spring there was an outbreak on a cruise ship that was headed to Antartica.  The country that finally allowed them into port would not allow anyone off the ship until they had a negative test result.  The passengers were forced to stay in their rooms for over a week.  Many spouses cohabitating in the same berth (which if you have been on a cruise you know are small) had one positive and one negative after a week of exposure.  In fact in several cases the spouse that tested positive died.  There were a lot of deaths for a small cruise ship.  Some articles on this  were linked in this thread last spring. 

After this incident I started to look at Covid a little differently, you could be in close contact with some for extensive time and not get it.  I have read several medical articles in the last couple of months about this phenomenon and the medical communities efforts to identify what seems to make some people fairly resistant to getting it (just like many are asymptomatic) rather than becoming seriously ill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Over half of the people that get this do not give it to a single other person. 

I hadn't seen this explained in the way the article you posted explained it.   Thanks.

Edited by the rover
4 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

This isnt true. Happens all the time where people dont spread it within the house. In fact I bet it is 50/50. 

A lot of things to consider. I do believe you can successfully quarantine yourself from the rest of your family if taking the proper precautions. I think the spread during ‘home quarantine’ is likely less if properly done with a majority of spread happening prior to the family member testing positive. The other family members likely were exposed and just were too early to show symptoms or test positive. Similar to the people claiming that the flu shot gave them the flu.

I also think that the cases of family spread could be underreported because they don’t always get follow-up tests, especially children. Family members are assumed to be exposed and if they show symptoms they don’t see a point in getting tested because it won’t change their treatment.

Personally I’ve resigned to the fact that if I get it, I will pass it onto the rest of my immediate family. Early in the pandemic, I did everything I could to separate from my family - sleeping in another room, immediately showering and washing clothes when I get home, wiping everything down in the garage before entering, etc. I still do many of those things but as more was learned about COVID, I realized that I would never be able to do enough to completely protect them if I become infected. It’s something that’s always in the back of my mind and helps me make responsible decisions knowing that my decisions become their consequences. But I couldn’t continue to constantly quarantine from them with my frequent exposure to people with COVID.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think the contact guidelines are pretty good at this point.  They seem to be working in a school context insofar as time in window and things.  Having rapid tests helps a lot w it

51 minutes ago, Ksquared said:

I know last spring there was an outbreak on a cruise ship that was headed to Antartica.  The country that finally allowed them into port would not allow anyone off the ship until they had a negative test result.  The passengers were forced to stay in their rooms for over a week.  Many spouses cohabitating in the same berth (which if you have been on a cruise you know are small) had one positive and one negative after a week of exposure.  In fact in several cases the spouse that tested positive died.  There were a lot of deaths for a small cruise ship.  Some articles on this  were linked in this thread last spring. 

After this incident I started to look at Covid a little differently, you could be in close contact with some for extensive time and not get it.  I have read several medical articles in the last couple of months about this phenomenon and the medical communities efforts to identify what seems to make some people fairly resistant to getting it (just like many are asymptomatic) rather than becoming seriously ill.

I don't know if you saw the one I linked to a few pages back (last week sometime) about interferon deficiency, but guessing that may be one of the things you read about. I'd be interested to read any others that you may have run across. 

4 hours ago, top dog said:

:confused: 

I've read that a few times and am really not sure what that all means.

This really applies for where you have secondary contact to a positive person in same house only.  

2 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

A recent paper found that in Hong Kong, which had extensive testing and contact tracing, about 19 percent of cases were responsible for 80 percent of transmission, while 69 percent of cases did not infect another person. This finding is not rare: Multiple studies from the beginning have suggested that as few as 10 to 20 percent of infected people may be responsible for as much as 80 to 90 percent of transmission, and that many people barely transmit it.

I had read something similar, but can't remember if it was based on the same study or not.  To me, it's a very compelling piece of evidence in that it could potentially explain some of the oddities about where this spreads.  It would suggest that it's ultimately the behavior of superspreaders (whether they are essential workers, people who don't know they're sick, people who dgaf, etc.) and the number of people they expose that drives the pandemic.  The behavior of the rest of the people is probably almost in the noise.  Of course, unless you can identify who the superspreaders are and how they are spreading it, you're right back to square one.

Not using this platform as a sales point just offering some advice on air purifiers. The units my company settled on for sale to the general public are these Medify Air units. They're as good as any out there but really, any unit that utilizes HEPA filtration works the same. If I was looking to buy one the first thing I'd look at is the dB rating because you don't want a loud, rattle trap in house running 24/7. If it utilizes HEPA filtration they are all the same so you don't have to worry about one HEPA filter being better than another. The next thing I'd look at is air flow/movement. Ideally you want it around 400 cfm. That allows the air to move but not so fast that it won't contact the filter (you're not blowing the bad stuff through the filter). It won't catch everything in one pass but over time, the more the air passes over the filter, the more bad stuff drops out, the cleaner your air. HEPA >>> MERV

I can say from experience these Medify units are quiet and good for home use. The smallest one we get, the MA-25 is good for a small bedroom. the MA-40 is probably good for a kitchen area and the biggest one, the MA-112 I'd use in a large bedroom or living room. They are light weight, easy to move around and the filters last for 2000 hours I think. In order to effectively clean the air in your house, you'd need multiple units unless you invested some real money in a whole home filtration system.

Also, you see a lot of stuff advertising UV light technology. UV works but a lot of the stuff being sold now is using UV LED lights which are orders of magnitude less effective than UV lamps. Not saying they are all bad just buyer beware. If you see an air purifier that has a pretty blue light, advertises UV light disinfection and sells for $30, it's probably a cheap UV LED that isn't really doing much. It's still doing something more than nothing but don't expect it to kill every virus in your house the minute you turn it on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/26/2020 at 8:48 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Work as RN for the state on weekends at a home for those with developmental disabilities. The home is basically set up as 3 separate apartments divided by double doors with 3-4 individuals per apartments. 

Apparently (at least) one of them tested positive yesterday. Heard news from a co-worker yesterday. As disorganized as management at this home is, wouldn't be surprised if I heard nothing about from them before this weekend. Undecided what I'm going to do. I'm thinking the worst just knowing how disorganized things are there.

The one that tested positive has his own bedroom.... separated MAYBE 5 foot from the rooms of 70+ year old man and a 50 year old male. To make matters worse, my co-worker/friend was in direct contact with the individual yesterday (then pulled a double....working at a completely different state home for an eight hour shift). Unbeknownst to him, the individual from first home would test positive later in day. I never understood the rationale, in general, allowing employees to work different homes.... and now here we are. I was asked on a couple occasions (due to shortages) but refused.

Now up to 2 clients and 1 staff positive. Have a feeling gonna spread to all soon. Facility is basically 3 apartments separated by double doors...2 clients affected were in apartments on opposite ends and had no direct contact to my knowledge....doesn't mean a support worker/nurse (possible the covid+ one) didn't work with them both at some point. 

Got tested last Friday. Getting tested again tomorrow. 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Sad 2

Talked  to a friend recently who had Covid a couple of months ago. Her infection wasn't bad, she didn't even go to the doctor. But she knew she had it because she works in a health care related profession so has constant risk of exposure despite taking all the possible precautions, and at first it was just normal very mild cold symptoms but then when she completely lost the ability to taste and smell she knew what she had.  I asked her if she noticed any lingering effects. She said she had JUST gotten her senses of taste and smell back (almost two months later). She said she gets tingly sensations in her extremities sometimes. She said she has a sensation occasionally, best way she could describe it, like her head was in a tunnel. But the most annoying thing she said, was annoying leg cramps daily, despite drinking tons of water and wearing compression stockings to try and alleviate the cramping.

Has anyone else who's had it (or knows someone who has) experienced the leg cramping or the Head TunnelTM or tingly sensations? Just curious. 

2 hours ago, Ksquared said:

Like The Stand. Some just don't get it I guess.  

29 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Has anyone else who's had it (or knows someone who has) experienced the leg cramping or the Head TunnelTM or tingly sensations? Just curious. 

It's been almost a month since I've had it.  I am starting to be able to smell things again, but just like a brief scent.  Sense of taste is still gone.  I understand the Head Tunnel thing.  I get that from time to time.  Honestly, I thought it was allergies and never equated it to Covid.  But now that you mention it, I guess it makes sense.  It's an odd sensation.  I would put it more as being underwater.  Leg cramping, and just body cramps/aches still occur as well.  

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Talked  to a friend recently who had Covid a couple of months ago. Her infection wasn't bad, she didn't even go to the doctor. But she knew she had it because she works in a health care related profession so has constant risk of exposure despite taking all the possible precautions, and at first it was just normal very mild cold symptoms but then when she completely lost the ability to taste and smell she knew what she had.  I asked her if she noticed any lingering effects. She said she had JUST gotten her senses of taste and smell back (almost two months later). She said she gets tingly sensations in her extremities sometimes. She said she has a sensation occasionally, best way she could describe it, like her head was in a tunnel. But the most annoying thing she said, was annoying leg cramps daily, despite drinking tons of water and wearing compression stockings to try and alleviate the cramping.

found this while researching... pretty interesting survey results (although fairly small sample size, which may be even more telling I suppose) on "Long Haul" symptoms:

COVID-19 “Long Hauler” Symptoms Survey Report

4 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

found this while researching... pretty interesting survey results (although fairly small sample size, which may be even more telling I suppose) on "Long Haul" symptoms:

Did you watch the 60 minutes episode on this?

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Damn. 

A few things that stuck out to me from that:

• Specialists seeing a large number of these patients and saying "we don't know what's causing their symptoms"
  • They think the immune system might still be in overdrive months after the infection
  • Autopsy results showing damage to heart, brain, liver, kidneys, lungs and unprecedented blood clotting in major organs
  • NONE of the patients they've seen have have recovered fully yet; some are 90-95%

Jeeeeez. Would be interesting to see the numbers of long haul symptoms vs the total number of cases as a percentage.  Either way, other than maybe some lagging fatigue, I don't recall ever hearing anything like that for, well, just the flu. 

10 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Damn. 

A few things that stuck out to me from that:

• Specialists seeing a large number of these patients and saying "we don't know what's causing their symptoms"
  • They think the immune system might still be in overdrive months after the infection
  • Autopsy results showing damage to heart, brain, liver, kidneys, lungs and unprecedented blood clotting in major organs
  • NONE of the patients they've seen have have recovered fully yet; some are 90-95%

Jeeeeez. Would be interesting to see the numbers of long haul symptoms vs the total number of cases as a percentage.  Either way, other than maybe some lagging fatigue, I don't recall ever hearing anything like that for, well, just the flu. 

Another thing is that these are people that used to be active (runners, workout folks) and now can't even get back to it.  That's disturbing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Speaking of long haul, a small study of folks that are contagious up to 2 months after contracting.  These are immuno-suppressed folks, which makes sense.  I've seen these patients not at the top of the distribution lists, but personally think they should be right up there with nurses, etc.  They seem to be a dangerous vector.

Also, not related - not sure if this was discusses, but an article in Clinical Infection Diseases confirms that COVID was knocking around in the US since December.   I could swear I got it in late January, so maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I missed it.  Have the link?

I quit searching here in the 10s.  Something about how the lh non tasters can't taste the sweet parts of the drinks, like at all, so they return them under the return policy.  The baristas have to eat that.   So to speak.  

Another sobering statistic: To date, the US CDC reports 13.30 million total cases and 266,051 deaths. The US surpassed 13 million cumulative cases on November 28. From the first case reported in the US on January 22, it took 96 days to reach 1 million cases. From there:

1 to 2 million- 44 days

2 to 3 million- 27 days 

3 to 4 million- 15 days

4 to 5 million- 17 days

5 to 6 million- 22 days

6 to 7 million- 25 days

7 to 8 million- 21 days

8 to 9 million- 14 days

9 to 10 million- 10 days

10 to 11 million- 7 days

11 to 12 million- 5 days

12 to 13 million- 7 days

• Sad 3
4 hours ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Tell her to check for DVT, a quick check can be done with a sonogram. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't posted in here in awhile. A few things:

1. My boss seems uninterested in telling people to put masks on. I've literally seen him walk past people with non on and say nothing. He also hates confrontation. We as employees were told by company to inform management and not to confront customers but I'm at the point I'm ready to say something to customers and if asked why I did I'll just say I'm not talking till I have Union representation 

2. People do not keep their distance at all. Recently am now helping Produce (Given some issues and lack of help and my brother use to work for the manager over there) loading bananas today and I have people all up in my face climbing over me no excuse me or sorry. It was also Senior day. Last week loading potatoes and onions I'm kneeling to put some stuff up older guy gets right up to me when I look up at him his crouch is literally in my face. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT.  

3. We haven't gotten any hazard pay since June of any kind. 

4. A lot of my coworkers are frustrated including me with the lack of awareness or consideration. We've stopped sanitizing carts (left it to the cart people which is a bad move), we need to start limiting customers again and go back to one entrance, and sanitizing all day again. Way too many employees as well with no mask on in the back rooms or not wearing them correctly as well. 

5. One of the issues is the ASD who I really really liked as a manager and a person she left for a new gig in the company but got her own store in the last month. Since she's been gone it's gone to :censored: in terms of safety and all. 

6. One of the newer girls who is about to turn 21 was gonna come work Liquor with me but informed me Wednesday night of last week it was her last day. She didn't feel safe with cases rising and the aforementioned above issues at the store. plus she's around family members who are high risk. 

7. I'm at the point if things continue to go down hill I might just inform HR, my Union or someone. They'll ask if I talked to my SD about the issues and honestly all I have to tell them is "try working with the guy. Even issues in the work place about other stuff he either throws onto the ASD's, department heads or barely gives yo the time of day. Also if you do track him down long enough he ends up forgetting about it with in 2 days. So I'm stuck calling you and asking you to solve this. And trust me I've spent numerous times over the yrs trying to discuss stuff with him and it never works till I get the union or someone who will sit him down and discuss things." He seems more concerned about the bottom line then our safety. Plus we can tell people they have to leave if no masks as we have other ways to provide service for them. 

I also had my Liquor department manager go out sick. She was not well on Saturday before Thanksgiving. I wasn't around her enough but my back up was who I've been with. Do to HIPPA we weren't even informed if she had covid or not. I feel despite those laws if you were around someone who tested positive I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW TO PROTECT MYSELF AS WELL AS OTHeRS AROUND ME. Really at a loss what to do anymore and begging we just get some sort of relief in form of a vaccine soon. Even with my Aspergers I must say up until this point I've handled a lot of this well and better then I thought I would. However these days its getting tougher especially those who you think are suppose to protect you aren't 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Kao-Lin said:

Speaking of long haul, a small study of folks that are contagious up to 2 months after contracting.  These are immuno-suppressed folks, which makes sense.  I've seen these patients not at the top of the distribution lists, but personally think they should be right up there with nurses, etc.  They seem to be a dangerous vector.

Also, not related - not sure if this was discusses, but an article in Clinical Infection Diseases confirms that COVID was knocking around in the US since December.   I could swear I got it in late January, so maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

I could've sworn I had it in December last year. I had a few of the systems. I never lost taste or smell but had a fever for a day that went away, dry cough and found myself at work having to sit more as I was out of breath/fatigued more. We had something go around the whole store and I'm thinking we got it. I got sick shortly after seeing a friend of mine who had come home from teaching in China right before the mess became public. Maybe just a coincidence and I know he's not someone if he knew he had something wouldn't have gone out either. 

• Thanks 1

Oregon Oncology Nurse put on Administration leaving after tiktok video bragging about not wearing a mask

Nurse posted a video on TikTok flouting how she was being a "rebel" not listening to state mandates while not working in her scrubs and all. This nurse works with cancer patients (you know some of the most at risk for this Virus) and seemed proud of herself. My Friend's daughter 2 has cancer and I can only imagine his reaction if he found out something like this from one of the people taking care of his daughter. I know what he'd do because he'd end up on national news for it. My mom works with cancer patients too so this hits pretty close to me. There's no question she needs to lose her license as a nurse for life. Unfortunate but yes these anti maskers and this is a hoax and "MuAh RiGtHs" crowd are amongst drs and nurses and first reposnders.  

18 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

I made some of these early on. Mentioned this to biff in this thread. Even with making the cube design,  I still found that this moved far more air. You can make your own replacement filters using merv 13s to make them far cheaper.  

Break that down for me on how to make a cheaper replacement filter.

You don't say...

Coronavirus Was In U.S. Weeks Earlier Than Previously Known, Study Says

The coronavirus was present in the U.S. weeks earlier than scientists and public health officials previously thought, and before cases in China were publicly identified, according to a new government study published Monday.

"SARS-CoV-2 infections may have been present in the U.S. in December 2019, earlier than previously recognized," the authors said.

This discovery adds to evidence that the virus was quietly spreading around the world before health officials and the public were aware, disrupting previous thinking of how the illness first emerged and how it has since evolved. It also shows the virus's presence in U.S. communities likely didn't start with the first case identified case in January.

Researchers found coronavirus antibodies in 39 samples from California, Oregon, and Washington as early as Dec. 13 to Dec. 16. 

The hits just keep coming.

My brother was in the hospital last December, from just after Christmas to late January with what they said was the flu but it was unlike anything he had ever had before. He really isn't financially secure and is still paying off the hospital bill. Is there any way to find out now if it was Covid back then and would he somehow qualify for some kind of pandemic assistance to help with the bills?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

Break that down for me on how to make a cheaper replacement filter.

Depends how fancy you want to get, but here is a good write up.

I am actually going pick up a shop vac hepa today, that based on the posted dimensions should be an almost perfect fit unrolled. I will update if it fits. 

Yes. I am a little bored. 

Fantastic.  We went from being proactive as a store and managers feeling proud of how we are handling stuff, do basically not doing anything if there is a positive case in the store.    

We had a kid call back that was positive on Tues who worked all weekend with a lot of the staff.   GM had sore throat, mild cough on Tuesday and decided to play it safe and get tested.  Owner is basically just waiting for GM's results, but not informing other staff that they were probably exposed.    I get not naming names, but IMO it's pretty messed up to not inform people that it was a possibility and let them make their choices.   Looks like we are probably losing one manager over this decision as he called and said he's not OK with that or comfortable with that.  

27 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Why does this matter, why should I care?

I don't expect people to care. No one seems to care when they've been lied to for months only to find out the truth after an objective has been achieved. People probably should care about how this was manipulated but they won't. Twice now this week the truth has come out about two very important facts about this pandemic - China coverup and timeline in the United States. Facts that were being shared here way back in March and April and loudly shouted down. Just because I don't expect it to make a bit of difference, doesn't mean I'm any less compelled to remind people that this knowledge was out there from the start.

The very fact that no one cares is exactly why this manipulation will continue and will be successful.

Edited by Mr Anonymous