What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Am I wrong here? We were going to my brother's house for Xmas today. My brother and his wife had it. My wife had it. Me and my son did not.

Out of the blue, my father, who's been in FL all month said he's coming over. He flew back December 18. He was either supposed to quarantine for 14 days or get tested on day 4. He did neither. I told him I wasn't comfortable with this and my wife says I'm being selfish.

Am I wrong here? We were going to my brother's house for Xmas today. My brother and his wife had it. My wife had it. Me and my son did not.

Out of the blue, my father, who's been in FL all month said he's coming over. He flew back December 18. He was either supposed to quarantine for 14 days or get tested on day 4. He did neither. I told him I wasn't comfortable with this and my wife says I'm being selfish.
Foregoing time with loved ones to slow the spread of Covid sounds like the exact opposite of selfish.

Not wrong.  Not selfish. The exact opposite.

Your father could learn from your example, unfortunately.

Millions of doses are sitting in warehouses because the federal government that pre-purchased them has no plan for distribution and is completely incompetent.  Hopefully the incoming administration makes this a priority and actually treats this pandemic as something real that needs to be handled.  I expect that vaccinations will pick up in the spring.
I expect the incoming administration to reestablish the pandemic response team. 

You are not wrong. 

Not wrong at all.  A friend had the same scenario for thanksgiving and got shamed for not going.  They all came down with covid.  Smdh 

Hey guys how long until you got your senses back?

I got exposed exactly a week ago and lost my taste and smell on Tuesday. 

From what I hear this could potentially be permanent, which would be awful.

So far the loss of taste and smell have been the most significant symptoms. I’ve had some congestion, a little coughing and sneezing plus a slight sore throat. I’m in my late 20s and reasonably healthy. I don’t think this thing is gonna get any worse for me. But I realize people of all ages can die from it. 

I just really miss the taste of bacon, hash browns & eggs. 
I lost my taste and smell senses about two weeks ago.  They seem to be returning slowly.    I can taste sweet and salty now.    There doesn’t seem to be a standard timeline for this damn virus.   Maybe you will be able to taste and smell in a few days.  Be glad you don’t have punishing symptoms such as difficulty breathing.   

So far the loss of taste and smell have been the most significant symptoms. I’ve had some congestion, a little coughing and sneezing plus a slight sore throat. I’m in my late 20s and reasonably healthy. I don’t think this thing is gonna get any worse for me. But I realize people of all ages can die from it. 

My friend and her fiancé said it was about 3 weeks for her and 4 weeks for him.

Mine was gone about a month and even then not fully. It was really the only symptoms I had and it was 9 months ago.

My taste is fine but I don't think my sense of smell is what it used to be. It's still good, but I thought I had a more keen sense of smell before.

For Christmas, you should have got her a cross-stitch kit that just spelled out the word "Irony."

My 102-year-old great aunt has tested positive.  :doh:

She is asymptomatic right now but obviously there is concern given her age. Apparently she is one of 86 cases among residents at her assisted living facility. 

Can anyone tell me why politicians are getting the vaccine ahead of the other people in phase 1 (healthcare workers, people in nursing homes?). Both of the Senators from Mass have gotten the vaccine which sickens me! Are they really in the first phase of the vaccine schedule or are they being selfish a usual by getting vaccinated?

Just curious.

Can anyone tell me why politicians are getting the vaccine ahead of the other people in phase 1 (healthcare workers, people in nursing homes?). Both of the Senators from Mass have gotten the vaccine which sickens me! Are they really in the first phase of the vaccine schedule or are they being selfish a usual by getting vaccinated?

Just curious.
The reasoning is that there are certain constituencies on both the right and left who are unwilling to get the vaccine, and that by having the politicians take it, it might encourage those people to get the shots.  I don't think that is a very strong argument, personally.  As long as there are first-responders who haven't received it, I don't think the senators and governors should be in line in front of them.  

Getting more concerned about the vaccine distribution plan. I was expecting ever changing chaos but so far there has been no plan. I’m hoping to come back to work and have some sort of update but I’m afraid that the vaccine will show up and we will have no guidance of who to give it to, how to get people scheduled and the entire workflow process. We’re gonna be sitting on the vaccine with people begging to get it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid that I won’t be.

Went with the Gf to visit her family in rural KY for Christmas. Tremendous pressure given it was the first time 3 siblings were all able to meet with their families. 

I had reservations due to their tendency to try to have everyone in town over whenever we come in town. We were assured it was "just aunt and uncle so and so, and this other couple. 

they had 8 folks over the first night then something like 25 people over Christmas night. More and more folks showed up. the last night they still had 6-7 folks over. Ugh. 

THEN the middle niece finds out her boss has  COVID and has been hiding the fact her whole family had it so she could keep working. Niece worked with boss Xmas eve. We didn't find out till the night of the 26th. Theoretically that's quick to become contagious even if infected... but damn. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting more concerned about the vaccine distribution plan. I was expecting ever changing chaos but so far there has been no plan. I’m hoping to come back to work and have some sort of update but I’m afraid that the vaccine will show up and we will have no guidance of who to give it to, how to get people scheduled and the entire workflow process. We’re gonna be sitting on the vaccine with people begging to get it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid that I won’t be.

I think your fear is justified.  Once we get past the front line HCW, a really simple plan would have been just by age and then comorbidity.  Shouldn't be too difficult for verify either of those.  What's anyone's plan for verifying a person works at a meat packing plant or teaches 3rd grade?   It's going to be a real tragedy if we have doses sitting in the freezer because they didn't work this all out.

I think your fear is justified.  Once we get past the front line HCW, a really simple plan would have been just by age and then comorbidity.  Shouldn't be too difficult for verify either of those.  What's anyone's plan for verifying a person works at a meat packing plant or teaches 3rd grade?   It's going to be a real tragedy if we have doses sitting in the freezer because they didn't work this all out.
No plan to verify anything, it will be on the honor system. When I signed up for mine they asked for employee ID and to show ID badge before the shot but neither were required. They’ve told us that we won’t be verifying anything with essential workers. Truth is you could probably lie your way into getting a vaccine in AZ right now.

If there’s not a near-airtight plan for distributing the vaccine ... might as well go by SSN. Or by lottery. Or heck — first come first served. I don’t know.

There's no plan, there never was a plan.  If you think it's bad getting the first shot out, just wait till we start trying to get people the 2nd one on time.

There's no plan, there never was a plan.  If you think it's bad getting the first shot out, just wait till we start trying to get people the 2nd one on time.
Initially I don’t think it will be a problem. But once we get more into the general public it will both be keeping the doses available and getting people to show up.

Initially I don’t think it will be a problem. But once we get more into the general public it will both be keeping the doses available and getting people to show up.
My work already has a plan company wise. Not all our stores have pharmacies so usually for flu season they have 1-2 pharmacist come into the store in a general location in the store. Anyone can get a flu shot general public and employees. This is how I do my flu shot anymore. They will be using similar procedures with the Vaccine for Covid as the stores with a Pharmacy with get the VAX and then distribute to all of us. I'm not certain yet but considering we work in the food industry there might not be an option to get it or not considering our line of work. Haven't heard more details yet. 

So over the past week I think I've had more then enough people come in without masks on no one says a thing. My ASD will say something if we say something to him. Most of my coworkers I think are just so sick of everything now they don't even bother getting a manager for people without masks. I have one customer who I talk to routinely about football without one but the dude is older and on oxygen tank so he doesn't always have to wear one if he has the tank hooked up to him.This is the same for a neighbor of mine. Those people I don't mind as I know both keep to themselves. Its the other 99% of the mask less who come in. One guy maybe mid-late 30s big beard tall guy comes in daily no mask on. Can definitely tell he has no issues just won't bother wearing one. Always has some sort of distinct clothing on that shows he's very conservative. 

Honestly feel we should be able to legally refuse service to those who don't want to wear a mask because we provide services like online ordering and curbside pick up where the customer doesn't even have to come into the store. Our company got really conservative about the mask issues after the security guy was shot a few weeks later do to a maskless customer incident. 

Meanwhile went to Trader Joes with my mom to get my one brother some stuff for his birthday and Christmas he couldn't get. They had a line at the door people socially distanced outside. 10 min wait. Everyone had to wear a mask and they refused service to 3 different people at the door while I was waiting. Get inside they had people sanitizing everything including their carts, registers spaced out and had people directing the lines on where to stand. It was very well done. My store has more then enough employees to do a lot more of this. For awhile we also had someone from LP (Lost Prevention) in the store as security more or less over the last few months. Since I want to say late sept I've seen our LP guy once when he was there Christmas Eve and wasn't there past 4 (store closed at 6). 

I'm thinking Tuesday I'll call my Union rep and see what I can do or steps to take to make the store safer. Talking to my Store Director directly is a pain as he will walk away from you or he'll yes you to death then completely forget about it. I definitely have co workers who are concerned but I think they don't want to be "That person" who calls them out on how we are being put more at risk right now. I also volunteered to work XMASS Day (Normal year I'd be in bed as I go to my Great Aunt and Uncles house down the street for XMASS eve Open house party I'm there almost all night) to help recoup money spent on gifts and paying rent and buying a new phone (needed it do to a batter issue and more phone space). We were only suppose to do 8-1 but for some ungodly reason my District Manager changed it to 3. Lost count on the number of people I saw with zero masks on that day. I know our DM and hoping I see him in there soon so maybe I can discuss these issues with him as well. 

SIL, DIL and their two kids (our grandkids) all positive now. Fortunately SIL and two kids are asymptomatic. DIL has all the symptoms and is miserable. Once it invades a home with small kids, it is just hard to stop it.

DJackson10 said:
Our company got really conservative about the mask issues after the security guy was shot a few weeks later do to a maskless customer incident. 
Geez dude, don't just drop this here without elaborating.  Something like that happening is just insanity.

Biff84 said:
 I think my hospital had to waste a few vaccine doses the other evening, as they had no one scheduled to receive them after dethawing. We received a last minute message soliciting volunteers to get it, but they limited recipients to healthcare workers.

I think my hospital had to waste a few vaccine doses the other evening, as they had no one scheduled to receive them after dethawing. We received a last minute message soliciting volunteers to get it, but they limited recipients to healthcare workers.
We’ll be getting the Moderna eventually and that has a 6 hour limit after breaking the seal. I hope to create a standby list of people to call the last couple hours if we have doses leftover.

I do not respect the choice to purposely keep this virus circulating by refusing a vaccine, especially refusal based on the conspiracy theories spread by discredited sources.

even if I’m vaccinated, my kid still won’t be able to go to school because of people making foolish and uninformed decisions and claiming it has something to do with protecting liberty.  My friend’s business will still stay shuttered, and he’ll go bankrupt.  Other friends will still be unemployed, and as a result may lose their homes.

It’s selfish and uninformed and it doesn’t deserve any ounce of respect.  I’d like to get some normalcy back, and I’d like small businesses to stay in business.  I don’t respect the people that are making that impossible.

liberty has limits when you’re harming and even killing other people.  
Let’s not also overlook the possibility that by keeping the virus circulating keeps the door open for more mutations that could:

a) render the vaccinations useless

and/or

b) be even more deadly

I know we have spoken about this here, but I still encounter people who don't get how this virus spreads and doesn't spread.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/28/948936133/still-disinfecting-surfaces-it-might-not-be-worth-it?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR1TLfOiIHSgzk3HhyljKGNyrNSG2gXQHSBUE7cfCPCtOnUWf_7k9JJxGlk

We've joked about how we used to microwave our mail, etc.  I still have friends who's sole efforts against the virus are about keeping surfaces clean.  

I received the Moderna vaccine about 15 hours ago and no side-effects except for minor injection site pain. My hospital was the first in Miami-Dade to offer the vaccine to those in the community who are 75 and older. It's by appointment only for hospital employees and the community. I saw a couple of 75+ in line for the vaccine. My wait was 5 minutes. A hospital in Broward is offering the vaccine to health care workers outside their system, but the lines were 7 hours long, which seems inefficient and possible unsafe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
7 straight days with COVID patients making up greater than 15% of hospitalizations in SA auto-drives max capacity back to 50% at restaurants, gyms, retail outlets, etc. starting today. Bad timing for many that were probably relying on NYE for a much-needed cash inject. But a more than necessary move given how bad things are and how much worse they are going to get the next few weeks.

So @DJackson10 or anyone else from PA what do you think is going to happen on the 4th, are they going to extend the mandate that went in place at the beginning of the month? Part of me says it is obvious because things have actually gotten worse but then part of me says that if closing all bars, restaurants, gyms and all school sports/activities didn't do anything then what's the purpose unless you are willing to take the next step and close churches, schools and truly close all non-essential businesses. What has been labeled essential is a joke.

7 straight days with COVID patients making up greater than 15% of hospitalizations in SA auto-drives max capacity back to 50% at restaurants, gyms, retail outlets, etc. starting today. Bad timing for many that were probably relying on NYE for a much-needed cash inject. But a more than necessary move given how bad things are and how much worse they are going to get the next few weeks.
In Dallas when this happened everyone ignored it.  And I mean completely ignored it.  They will be fine.

I have been told repeatedly that the virus itself sends the message to stay away from restaurants and bars so why would these restrictions even matter? 

I know we have spoken about this here, but I still encounter people who don't get how this virus spreads and doesn't spread.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/28/948936133/still-disinfecting-surfaces-it-might-not-be-worth-it?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR1TLfOiIHSgzk3HhyljKGNyrNSG2gXQHSBUE7cfCPCtOnUWf_7k9JJxGlk

We've joked about how we used to microwave our mail, etc.  I still have friends who's sole efforts against the virus are about keeping surfaces clean.  
I’m surprised at the amount of money that institutions/governments are willing to keep spending on cleaning. Though I will say the viability of the virus on surfaces may not really be known yet. We’ve had a decent number of surface swab samples come back indicating viable virus on surfaces where a known positive individual had been in up to 24 hours previously. I’m not sure that the transmission risk is all that high though. Certainly not nearly as high as droplet transmission.

I’m surprised at the amount of money that institutions/governments are willing to keep spending on cleaning. Though I will say the viability of the virus on surfaces may not really be known yet. We’ve had a decent number of surface swab samples come back indicating viable virus on surfaces where a known positive individual had been in up to 24 hours previously. I’m not sure that the transmission risk is all that high though. Certainly not nearly as high as droplet transmission.
Agree, and if you touch a surface just be sure to wash/sanitizer

I think everyone ignoring it is the opposite of fine. It's why we are in this situation in the first place.
You expressed concern over the workers.  They will be fine, they will ignore the restrictions like everyone else has since the beginning.

Whether this is good/bad for the virus is another thing.  

One of the volunteers at the vaccination site I went to took a video of the low turnout at the site and sent it to the local news station. The narrative that the news story and many of the commenters took was that health care workers didn’t want the vaccine. I’m sure some of that might be true but more than likely isn’t due to a poor rollout. After I got my shot, I helped some of my coworkers get registered to get theirs. One got an invitation to schedule an appointment and the other is still waiting. The invitations are getting sent to junk mail, so many aren’t seeing. Even more people who work in the pharmacies don’t even know they are eligible.

The rollout has been terrible and doubt it’s going to get better. We finally got some guidance and it looks like we will be scheduling appointments with specific groups (like school districts) getting participant codes to allow them to sign up when it’s their time. But it will all be controlled by a few people in district leadership. The information in chainwide so maybe locally we have some flexibility. I just want to get this vaccine into my store and get into as many arms as I can and it seems like it’s just going to crawl along slowly.

One of the volunteers at the vaccination site I went to took a video of the low turnout at the site and sent it to the local news station. The narrative that the news story and many of the commenters took was that health care workers didn’t want the vaccine. I’m sure some of that might be true but more than likely isn’t due to a poor rollout. After I got my shot, I helped some of my coworkers get registered to get theirs. One got an invitation to schedule an appointment and the other is still waiting. The invitations are getting sent to junk mail, so many aren’t seeing. Even more people who work in the pharmacies don’t even know they are eligible.

The rollout has been terrible and doubt it’s going to get better. We finally got some guidance and it looks like we will be scheduling appointments with specific groups (like school districts) getting participant codes to allow them to sign up when it’s their time. But it will all be controlled by a few people in district leadership. The information in chainwide so maybe locally we have some flexibility. I just want to get this vaccine into my store and get into as many arms as I can and it seems like it’s just going to crawl along slowly.
I'll make this comment every other page, if you think this is bad just wait till it gets time to give people their second shot.  All hell will break loose.

I'll make this comment every other page, if you think this is bad just wait till it gets time to give people their second shot.  All hell will break loose.
Once we have a functioning central government again a lot of this problem will go away.  It's a big project for sure, and obviously one that's been bungled to date, but it's not impossible if the people in charge are interested in actually doing it.

I have been told repeatedly that the virus itself sends the message to stay away from restaurants and bars so why would these restrictions even matter? 
I have a friend on FB that posts a shot from the restaurant/bar he is at everyday in Florida proclaiming they are COVID free. No masks, packed to the gills. We're ####ed.

Users who are viewing this thread